2016 Draft LB thread

Beerball

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Free Agency.

We likely need backups for Bradham (a FA and not a scheme fit), Lawson (if not re-signed), and backup for Brown (who's 32nd among ILBs in number of tackles, but tied for 1st in assists).

I like Tarpley, Johnson, Powell (a FA), and Steward, but they're likely not starters, so we need two more in the pipeline even if Bradham is re-signed. One may be a vet (Max Valles?), but one at the very least (OLB, ILB) may come early in the 2016 draft.

ILB Reggie Ragland is a popular name in draft circles. OLBs Darron Lee and Myles Jack are also on RD1 lists.

Ragland---hitter, run-pass solid, nasty, Pro offense 2 yrs

Lee--versatile, fast, fearless, persistent, competitor, Sugar Bowl MVP

Jack-- torn meniscus, athletic, 4.4 agility and speed, ball skills

If we go this route, something has to give. With RT (Mills), DT (KWilliams), and DE (Mario) as early needs, we'll have to watch Free Agency to see if any holes get plugged to free us up for taking a playmaking LB..

http://thedraftwire.usatoday.com/2016/01/03/top-candidates-for-the-buffalo-bills-in-the-first-round/

3. LB Jaylon Smith, Junior, Notre Dame Fighting Irish

2016-nfl-draft-jaylon-smith-open-field.jPicking in the mid-teens, the Bills likely would not have had a shot at Smith until his recent knee injury this past weekend. The extent of Smith’s injury is not known, but should the linebacker fall, the Bills have the roster talent to take a chance on Smith’s recovery and eventual impact. An athletic freak with exceptional range, Smith is smart, tenacious, and versatile enough to play either linebacker position in the Buffalo 3-4 defense.

Jaylon Smith is not falling to 18 or 19. If he does, though, he'd be on the list.

He has it all: twitch, balance, versatile, quickness, instincts, playmaking ability.

I'd have them in this order: Jaylon, Ragland, Floyd, Calhoun, Jack, then Cravens if we wanted a LB in RD1.

I like Floyd almost as much as Ragland for the Bills.

Jaylon Smith is not falling to 18 or 19. If he does, though, he'd be on the list.

He has it all: twitch, balance, versatile, quickness, instincts, playmaking ability.

I'd have them in this order: Jaylon, Ragland, Floyd, Calhoun, Jack, then Cravens if we wanted a LB in RD1.

unlikely, but he could. Willis fell to us at 23 a long time ago. if not, Ragland is a good consolation prize. Beyond that, perhaps looking at OL in 1st round or safety?

Floyd is 37 on Draftek, plus he's small for a rush LB

I'd prefer if we cut Mario and used his money to get Von Miller. We probably need 2 new lBs though, so drafting a good run stuffer would be nice too.

The run-stuffer that you want late is Blake Martinez. Jared Norris is another run-stuffing thumper backer. Then take Von Miller and not worry about coverage LB for a decade.

Floyd is 37 on Draftek, plus he's small for a rush LB

Read Rob Quinn's take on Floyd.

http://buildingtheherd.com/nfl-draft/2016-nfl-draft-leonard-floyd-scouting-report-versatile-lb-for-buffalo-bills-rex-ryan-defense/

The run-stuffer that you want late is Blake Martinez. Jared Norris is another run-stuffing thumper backer. Then take Von Miller and not worry about coverage LB for a decade.

Read Rob Quinn's take on Floyd.

http://buildingtheherd.com/nfl-draft/2016-nfl-draft-leonard-floyd-scouting-report-versatile-lb-for-buffalo-bills-rex-ryan-defense/

good read, hopefully gets bigger

Please, no one from Notre Dame. These guys look great until tested.

hmmm not a fan of judging guys just based on school. Jaylon was a big time recruit and ND plays a high level of competition in college. He could have gone anywhere. He's smart enough to play at ND which is a plus IMO. Edited by YoloinOhio

If Ragland, Smith, or Jack are there, I'm taking them. IMO this is our biggest area of need going into the off-season. I think our LB core is pretty bad and virtually every great defense throughout history had a HOF quality LB. Bobby Wagner (off to a great start of career), Patrick Willis, Ray Lewis, Derrick Brooks, Mike Singletary, Even the teams with only flashes of greatness always had a very good / great LB. Von Miller, Clay Mathews, LT, Paup/Spielman Bennett/Talley, and Fletcher/Spikes. We don't have anyone even close to the level of any of the guys I just mentioned and it shows.

Edited by Mark80

If Ragland, Smith, or Jack are there, I'm taking them. IMO this is our biggest area of need going into the off-season. I think our LB core is pretty bad and virtually every great defense throughout history had a HOF quality LB. Bobby Wagner, Patrick Willis, Ray Lewis, Derrick Brooks, Mike Singletary, Even the teams with only flashes of greatness always had a very good / great LB. Von Miller, Clay Mathews, LT, Paup/Spielman Bennett/Talley, and Fletcher/Spikes. We don't have anyone even close to the level of any of the guys I just mentioned and it shows.

+1