2016 Draft D-line thread

Beerball

perhaps they are throwing all that smoke about QBs out to move down a few slots and pick him up in the 20s

I would definitely be up for that. He's certainly a lot more athletic than his testing numbers suggest, at least in short areas.

Stout enough to play NT. Picking up a 3rd in the process would be a bonus.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@PFF

Best third-down pass-rushing productivity in 2016 class: 1. Emmanuel Ogbah, Okla. State 2. Kevin Dodd, Clemson 3. Quinton Bradley, Idaho

Bradley is a new name for me.

Came in at 6'3", 268lbs at his Pro Day. 4.98 40 (1.71 split), 23 reps, 30 1/2" vertical, 7.64 3-cone.

Had 15 TFL's, 5 sacks last year. 6 pass deflections, 5 hurries, 1 FF and a catch for minus 1 yard.

I would definitely be up for that. He's certainly a lot more athletic than his testing numbers suggest, at least in short areas.

Stout enough to play NT. Picking up a 3rd in the process would be a bonus.

this scout's view on Reed is intriguing

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/Rating-the-NFL-draft-prospects-Defensive-linemen-376906171.html

I'm kinda shocked that angle hasn't picked up more traction. Legitimately the first time I've heard about the drug tests.

That's a concern, I've got to admit.

he also had a DUI a few years ago ... Read that over the weekend

He might not be the best fit around Dareus

Edited by YoloinOhio

Yeah, I knew about the DUI. Kinda passed it off as a standalone mistake.

'Several' drug test failures is eye-catching. Not sure how long ago that was. Starting to think I'm the only person in the world that doesn't use recreational drugs. :D

Yeah, I knew about the DUI. Kinda passed it off as a standalone mistake.

'Several' drug test failures is eye-catching. Not sure how long ago that was. Starting to think I'm the only person in the world that doesn't use recreational drugs. :D

It's not too late dude.

I happen to think that the Bills want Darron Lee or Leonard Floyd and if they are there the Bills will take them. If those guys are off the board, I think Buffalo wants to trade down and target Chris Jones, Vernon Butler, or Karl Joseph

@TyDunne

Mickey Conn (HS coach) says Rex perfect for Nkemdiche: "Because there’s a no-nonsense guy. That’s what he needs. ...Someone to control him."

@TyDunne

New at the BN Blog: Who is Robert Nkemdiche? Chatted with his HS coach today to learn more. http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/04/25/who-is-robert-nkemdiche/

Cg7ZZJAXEAEAvPc.jpg

@TyDunne

Mickey Conn (HS coach) says Rex perfect for Nkemdiche: "Because there’s a no-nonsense guy. That’s what he needs. ...Someone to control him."

@TyDunne

New at the BN Blog: Who is Robert Nkemdiche? Chatted with his HS coach today to learn more. http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/04/25/who-is-robert-nkemdiche/

Cg7ZZJAXEAEAvPc.jpg

.'m just not a big fan of Nkendiche...I could ignore a lot of the on-the-field stuff if he was clean off-the-field...But I think when you add them both together there's just no reason to risk it at #19...If he falls to #49 we'll see... B-)

@salmaiorana

Two days til the draft. If he's there, should #Bills take Robert Nkemdiche from Ole Miss? My story:...

No...I don't need to read the story... :lol:

Edited by KOKBILLS

not sure who tweeted this, but it was tweeted that everyone that went to combine passed the drug test...so he either cleaned up and learned from mistakes or was smart enough to not use drugs b4 a test...which shows more smarts then some in the past for sure :)

not sure who tweeted this, but it was tweeted that everyone that went to combine passed the drug test...so he either cleaned up and learned from mistakes or was smart enough to not use drugs b4 a test...which shows more smarts then some in the past for sure :)

I would be pumped if the Bills drafted Reed. Put him next to Dareus and there would be no offensive line in the NFL that would be able to stop that interior line from collapsing. What are they going to do? Double both of them? Hello!!!!

I agree that we should wait on the d line. Why waste a high pick on the d-line. For one as bad as our D regressed last year, we lost more games because we only had on consistent wide out and an awful right tackle situation. If Rex is the defensive mastermind that he claims to be shouldn't he be able to elevate an intelligent later round defensive player that fits his scheme because talented players that don't fit his scheme do not produce.

I would be pumped if the Bills drafted Reed. Put him next to Dareus and there would be no offensive line in the NFL that would be able to stop that interior line from collapsing. What are they going to do? Double both of them? Hello!!!!

I think a lot of people were saying that about the d line we had last year!

@TyDunne

Jarran Reed has known new #Bills D-Line coach John Blake since he was a HS freshman battling seniors at his NC football camp.

Jarran Reed (@1j_reed) on the Bills: "Defense wins Super Bowls. We’d be a wrecking crew up front ... It’s a perfect fit.” Knows Dareus, too.

well there it is. trade down to 20 with jets and call it good

It's not too late dude.

LOL'd

don't be a bad influence Coach, we have plenty of those already here ha !

I agree that we should wait on the d line. Why waste a high pick on the d-line. For one as bad as our D regressed last year, we lost more games because we only had on consistent wide out and an awful right tackle situation. If Rex is the defensive mastermind that he claims to be shouldn't he be able to elevate an intelligent later round defensive player that fits his scheme because talented players that don't fit his scheme do not produce.

I think a lot of people were saying that about the d line we had last year!

I think a lot of people are underestimating what John Blake brings to the table. Pretty sure the DLine will bounce back this year. This draft is loaded with DLine talent and what we still have is pretty damn good. The DLine is going to be very aggressive. I'm pretty confident about that.

As far as Rex is concerned, I think think all the "ALL IN" hoorah is being taken totally out of context. Rex knows what they were doing last year was not working. You can bet that they will be trying something different this year. My uneducated guess is that the DLine is going to be put on the spot for way under-performing last year. They'll bounce back.

This is who I am hoping is sitting there at 19!

This would be cool too.

@LedyardNFLDraft

It's an incredible defensive line class, and my rankings reflect that, w/ 17 Rd 1-3 grades http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2016/04/26/2016-nfl-draft-big-board-final-defensive-line-rankings/

Cg_NlX7WMAQxoDI.jpg

I'm assuming Rankins will be gone before #19...If he's still there, I'm AOK with it if he's the pick...

Even though...full disclosure...I'm kind of hoping Rankins does not fall...I prefer Jones, Reed, and Butler for the Bills Defense...I worry a bit about Rankins size and exactly how versatile he'll be in the NFL...I think the Bills need a player that can play some...not all, but some... 0 and 1 technique...And I think Rankins is just too small for that job...Which means Dareus has to play it more...And I'm OK with Dareus playing some nose...But I don't want him in there all the time...It's a waste of his talent...

In no way is this meant to be a knock on Rankins...I just think there may be better fits...We'll see... B-)

Mayock Mocks Nkemdiche to the Bills in his one and only Mock Draft...

Now I'm a little concerned...

Polian and now Mayock...There is absolutely no question that either A. The Bills are going to Draft Nkemdiche...Or B. The Bills REALLY want everyone in the know to think they are going to Draft Nkemdiche...

Mayock and Polian are plugged in...Mayock may very well be the most plugged in guy in his field...Something is up here...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/mock-drafts/mike-mayock/326209

Mayock Mocks Nkemdiche to the Bills in his one and only Mock Draft...

Now I'm a little concerned...

Polian and now Mayock...There is absolutely no question that either A. The Bills are going to Draft Nkemdiche...Or B. The Bills REALLY want everyone in the know to think they are going to Draft Nkemdiche...

Mayock and Polian are plugged in...Mayock may very well be the most plugged in guy in his field...Something is up here...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/mock-drafts/mike-mayock/326209

eh they may be plugged in but they don't know who they are taking. Mayock's reasoning is that Rex can get the most out of a talented guy with off field issues. The other team he mentioned was Seattle for same reason with Pete Carroll. Just because they've had success with these types of players before doesn't mean they take him over someone else.

Most don't see Nkemdiche falling below about 20, that's why I think they stuck him there.

eh they may be plugged in but they don't know who they are taking. Mayock's reasoning is that Rex can get the most out of a talented guy with off field issues. The other team he mentioned was Seattle for same reason with Pete Carroll. Just because they've had success with these types of players before doesn't mean they take him over someone else.

Most don't see Nkemdiche falling below about 20, that's why I think they stuck him there.

We'll see...If it had just been Mayock I would have brushed it off...But adding the Mayock pick to Polian's comments has me sweating it now...

This is the Bills after all...I've got a bad feeling about this... :lol:

We'll see...If it had just been Mayock I would have brushed it off...But adding the Mayock pick to Polian's comments has me sweating it now...

do you not like the player, or worried about the off field stuff?

My hope is Rankins falls to our spot, but most of the mocks I am seeing NO get's him at 12. My next hope would be that Shaq Lawson drops and if not Nkemdiche. The Nkemdiche pick would obviously be a risk, but I am hoping being around guy's like Kyle, Jerry, and Marcel can help him rise up and live up to alot of potential. I believe that he can play outside very well too if need be.

do you not like the player, or worried about the off field stuff?

Well...

I'm a little queasy about him...It's mostly the off-the-field I guess...I don't question his upside...It's really high...I mean sky high...I more or less look at it like this...I like other players at the same position as much...Even though they lack his athletic ability...And I think the other guys can legitimately play some 1 and 0 technique...I do not see Nkemdiche as a guy you want lining up in the middle a lot in the NFL...He's too easily moved...The tape I watched of him he was really bad vs the double team...To me he is a prototype 5 tech...He's mostly a penetration guy...And when he's on, and plays with technique, he's massively disruptive...If he splits the blockers he's like a flash into the backfield...I'm being honest when I say I can't remember seeing a player his size move that fast when he gets past the O-line...But I do think he's limited...I don't think he's a Wilkerson type that you can line up anywhere...It's strange because when you see him with his pads off the kid is built like a bull...But on the field he looks thin to me...He looks like a 4-3 DE in pads...Not that there's anything wrong with that...I just don't see him as a guy like Jones, Butler, or even Reed who can play all 3 techniques on the D-line...

All that being said...If you get the most out of him he has potential All Pro athletic ability...He could be a monster if he matures and takes to Coaching...But he makes me really, really nervous... B-)

My hope is Rankins falls to our spot, but most of the mocks I am seeing NO get's him at 12. My next hope would be that Shaq Lawson drops and if not Nkemdiche. The Nkemdiche pick would obviously be a risk, but I am hoping being around guy's like Kyle, Jerry, and Marcel can help him rise up and live up to alot of potential. I believe that he can play outside very well too if need be.

I know it seems crazy, but there are whispers of Rankins going to Dallas at #4...The Cowboys love him...If the Cowboys trade down, I think their target will be Rankins... B-)

Well...

I'm a little queasy about him...It's mostly the off-the-field I guess...I don't question his upside...It's really high...I mean sky high...I more or less look at it like this...I like other players at the same position as much...Even though they lack his athletic ability...And I think the other guys can legitimately play some 1 and 0 technique...I do not see Nkemdiche as a guy you want lining up in the middle a lot in the NFL...He's too easily moved...The tape I watched of him he was really bad vs the double team...To me he is a prototype 5 tech...He's mostly a penetration guy...And when he's on, and plays with technique, he's massively disruptive...If he splits the blockers he's like a flash into the backfield...I'm being honest when I say I can't remember seeing a player his size move that fast when he gets past the O-line...But I do think he's limited...I don't think he's a Wilkerson type that you can line up anywhere...It's strange because when you see him with his pads off the kid is built like a bull...But on the field he looks thin to me...He looks like a 4-3 DE in pads...Not that there's anything wrong with that...I just don't see him as a guy like Jones, Butler, or even Reed who can play all 3 techniques on the D-line...

All that being said...If you get the most out of him he has potential All Pro athletic ability...He could be a monster if he matures and takes to Coaching...But he makes me really, really nervous... B-)

I know it seems crazy, but there are whispers of Rankins going to Dallas at #4...The Cowboys love him...If the Cowboys trade down, I think their target will be Rankins... B-)

thanks - makes sense. From an on field perspective I think Robert seems to be exactly what the Bills need and that Rex has turned into gold in the past with his scheme. He had some rare talent and athleticism that you don't find in other rounds or every draft. He likely needs some good coaching at the next level as many forget that about college kids who may have not been subjected to consistent strong coaching. The off field makes me think they won't do it but otoh that never stopped them before. Do they want to parade him around as the face of their draft? That's what makes the 1st round dicey for me. I don't think he will end up being available though so someone will be parading him around! Edited by YoloinOhio

Easy big fella, don't go all goofy on the big night.

Maybe the Jets want him badly !?

thanks - makes sense. From an on field perspective I think Robert seems to be exactly what the Bills need and that Rex has turned into gold in the past with his scheme. He had some rare talent and athleticism that you don't find in other rounds or every draft. He likely needs some good coaching at the next level as many forget that about college kids who may have not been subjected to consistent strong coaching. The off field makes me think they won't do it but otoh that never stopped them before. Do they want to parade him around as the face of their draft? That's what makes the 1st round dicey for me. I don't think he will end up being available though so someone will be parading him around!

I feel strongly about this.

First Robert does not seem focused on the field all the time. and the second bit is this Rex Coaching troubled kids up.

How did Rex do with prima donna Mario?

I think rex can coach up underdog players and will do well with the Bills this year for that very reason.

But someone who is going to need to be motivated all the time? Not so sure.

As mentioned, when the Kid turns it on wow !

But flipping that switch on full time scares me