2016 Draft QB thread

Beerball

After his performance yesterday, I am starting to wonder if Vernon Adams might deserve more serious consideration. I saw all of his games this year and he was unquestionably effective. I have wondered about his arm strength but he throws a very nice long ball. Reminds me a lot of TT, but without TT's straight line speed. Body might not hold up to NFL punishment.

See the East-West Shrine game thread....

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See the East-West Shrine game thread....

I just mentioned this, vernon adams jr on the shoutbox. he played off the wall that game. anyone seen his other games? that would be a good draft pick for our current coaching system and the NFL QB dual threat evolution

Edited by Marty McFly

I just mentioned this, vernon adams jr on the shoutbox. he played off the wall that game. anyone seen his other games? that would be a good draft pick for our current coaching system and the NFL QB dual threat evolution

There are similarities between adams and TT but Adams is nowhere near the running threat TT is. He is shifty and elusive but not fast; not a guy you really want to design running plays for.

@tydunne

New at the BN Blog: #Bills GM Doug Whaley would 'absolutely' consider drafting a QB early in the draft...

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/26/bills-would-absolutely-consider-drafting-a-qb-early-in-the-draft/

@pecrawleynfl

Whaley did preface this by saying he thinks the QBs in this draft are projects who won't be ready for a year or two.

@viccarucci

#Bills among #NFL teams seeking an up-close look at QB Carson Wentz at the Senior Bowl. BN Blitz: http://bit.ly/1Pi1Pmz

not looking good for Wentz to be there at 19

@tydunne

New at the BN Blog: #Bills GM Doug Whaley would 'absolutely' consider drafting a QB early in the draft...

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/26/bills-would-absolutely-consider-drafting-a-qb-early-in-the-draft/

@pecrawleynfl

Whaley did preface this by saying he thinks the QBs in this draft are projects who won't be ready for a year or two.

:thumbsup:

about time he came over to my way of thinking.

Of all the QB's considered, I keep coming back to two... Kelly, and Cardale... Wentz does NOTHING for me. NDSU has one of the most dynamic offenses in NCAA football... I love watching their games. (albeit against 2nd tier talent)... Wentz excelled in their system, but will struggle mightily as a pro... The kid could burn a hole through receivers with that stare... Once he locks on, he's committed... Wentz protects the football just enough to fend off double-A talent... He'll have to do a lot better at the next level.... Even with the best QB coach availabe he is three years away from being anybody's starter...Brock Jensen was a better NDSU QB than Wentz.. (With a better arm, I might add)....

Chad Kelly had some growing up to do, and ended up on the road less traveled.... He made mistakes, and deserves a second chance....I like Kelly's game, He's a risk-taker with a big arm... Still, IMHO he's not mobile or accurate enough to win the start from a guy like Tyrod...

For my money the absolute best pick we can make this spring is QB Cardale Jones... Right off the bat, I like how the kid carries himself... The way he speaks, the way he regards his teamates.. Is he raw? absolutely... Still, you can't coach speed, size, or power. Jones has all three... I think scouts will be surprised how quickly he adapts to the pro game... Carson Wentz may be lighting up on some radars, but the third-stringer who took a NC from Marcus Mariota may be the best thing flying under it.

Of all the QB's considered, I keep coming back to two... Kelly, and Cardale... Wentz does NOTHING for me. NDSU has one of the most dynamic offenses in NCAA football... I love watching their games. (albeit against 2nd tier talent)... Wentz excelled in their system, but will struggle mightily as a pro... The kid could burn a hole through receivers with that stare... Once he locks on, he's committed... Wentz protects the football just enough to fend off double-A talent... He'll have to do a lot better at the next level.... Even with the best QB coach availabe he is three years away from being anybody's starter...Brock Jensen was a better NDSU QB than Wentz.. (With a better arm, I might add)....

Chad Kelly had some growing up to do, and ended up on the road less traveled.... He made mistakes, and deserves a second chance....I like Kelly's game, He's a risk-taker with a big arm... Still, IMHO he's not mobile or accurate enough to win the start from a guy like Tyrod...

For my money the absolute best pick we can make this spring is QB Cardale Jones... Right off the bat, I like how the kid carries himself... The way he speaks, the way he regards his teamates.. Is he raw? absolutely... Still, you can't coach speed, size, or power. Jones has all three... I think scouts will be surprised how quickly he adapts to the pro game... Carson Wentz may be lighting up on some radars, but the third-stringer who took a NC from Marcus Mariota may be the best thing flying under it.

I'm confused...

Wentz locks onto his targets and can't be coached up, but Jones doesn't?

Also, Chad Kelly is returning to Ole Miss

Can he read defences at all? That is where I have doubts on Jones. I am not sure he can and I think getting through progressions is going to be a problem for him.

Here are Doughty's stats:

SEASON TEAM GP COMP ATT PCT ATT/G YDS YDS/ATT YDS/G TD INT LNG SCK SCK YDS QBR
59.1%
33.3%
65.8%
67.9%
71.9%

Numbers like those deserve a later-round shot.

Can he read defences at all? That is where I have doubts on Jones. I am not sure he can and I think getting through progressions is going to be a problem for him.

It's one of the pitfalls of being an Urban Meyer QB. The scheme isn't really built for complexity.

Alex Smith is the only Urban QB with any kind of NFL success and it took him 5 years to reach a level of play that you can get by with in the NFL. I don't like using "played for this coach, won't work" logic but there's a pattern that's emerged with Meyer. I don't like it one bit.

Same thought process goes for Art Briles. It'll be a cold day in hell before I draft one of his QB's early.

Edited by Blokestradamus

It's one of the pitfalls of being an Urban Meyer QB. The scheme isn't really built for complexity.

Alex Smith is the only Urban QB with any kind of NFL success and it took him 5 years to reach a level of play that you can get by with in the NFL. I don't like using "played for this coach, won't work" logic but there's a pattern that's emerged with Meyer. I don't like it one bit.

Same thought process goes for Art Briles. It'll be a cold day in hell before I draft one of his QB's early.

Jones is a little different because he's not really an urban Meyer QB. He wasn't recruited by Urban and isn't his type of QB. Tom Herman established a specific offense to fit Jones' strengths for the playoffs last year. When he Herman went to Houston this year, Urban wanted to run his own offense and Jones was not a fit. Urban didn't want to adapt to the QB because the team is built around a certain system and he has the perfect QB to run it in JT... so he didn't. That does not obviously mean I think that Jones can read an NFL defense at this time. He was not required to read one in the playoffs last year or in the games he played in this year. It will be a projection that he can learn that - likely discussed at length in pre draft interviews. But he's not an urban Meyer QB. He would never have seen the field unless Braxton and JT both got hurt and urban didn't want to burn a redshirt of one of his guys for the playoffs.

He has NFL traits that I think a coach who fancies himself a QB developer like Arians will want to develop. Maybe Roman too.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Jones is a little different because he's not really an urban Meyer QB. He wasn't recruited by Urban and isn't his type of QB. Tom Herman established a specific offense to fit Jones' strengths for the playoffs last year. When he Herman went to Houston this year, Urban wanted to run his own offense and Jones was not a fit. Urban didn't want to adapt to the QB because the team is built around a certain system and he has the perfect QB to run it in JT... so he didn't. That does not obviously mean I think that Jones can read an NFL defense at this time. He was not required to read one in the playoffs last year or in the games he played in this year. It will be a projection that he can learn that - likely discussed at length in pre draft interviews. But he's not an urban Meyer QB. He would never have seen the field unless Braxton and JT both got hurt and urban didn't want to burn a redshirt of one of his guys for the playoffs.

He has NFL traits that I think a coach who fancies himself a QB developer like Arians will want to develop. Maybe Roman too.

Personally, I would love to see Jones in Buffalo as a developmental QB via an 4th or 5th round pick.

Personally, I would love to see Jones in Buffalo as a developmental QB via an 4th or 5th round pick.

yes he is worth a flyer! He needs a team who will develop him and let him learn in the QB room- personally I feel this offense and coaching staff as well as the personnel around him is a very good fit. Edited by YoloinOhio

Personally, I would love to see Vernon Adams Jr. in Buffalo as a developmental QB via a 3rd or 4th or 5th round pick. The dude's magic. When he's in his team rocks and when he's not they suck. See the Shrine game, his bowl game vs TCU, and the first 4 or 5 games of the season for the Ducks when he was out. Like night and day. Like the difference in the Bills when Flutie was in and when Rob was in.

Personally, I would love to see Vernon Adams Jr. in Buffalo as a developmental QB via a 3rd or 4th or 5th round pick. The dude's magic. When he's in his team rocks and when he's not they suck. See the Shrine game, his bowl game vs TCU, and the first 4 or 5 games of the season for the Ducks when he was out. Like night and day. Like the difference in the Bills when Flutie was in and when Rob was in.

I, too, am a Vernon Adams Jr. fan!! He seems to have that Russell Wilson "MAGIC" about him. Cardale would be a great consolation prize though. If I can't have a Russell Wilson type, then I'm all for a Cam Newton type QB.

Dude I saw that shrine game. Your post is on the money. the only knock on Adams ive heard from the talking heads is hes too small to stay healthy and see over the line in the NFL. which means helll be low enough in the draft that the Bills can snag him in the 3rd or 4th if they wanted to. which wouldnt be a bad idea.

Edited by Marty McFly

Senior Bowl director on QB crop on hand

Senior Bowl director and former NFL GM Phil Savage brought in a larger quarterback contingent than normal for the North and South rosters at the Senior Bowl this week. In his opinion the class is deep, but with a variety of skill sets. Here’s Savage’s take on the eight signal callers in Mobile.

“We took eight quarterbacks this year which is something that’s never been done here before,” said Savage. “Part of the reason is we felt like there’s such a disparity between college and pro football and there’s so many differences at that position, we felt like this is such a deep class, that why not instead of six, let’s bring eight.

I'm confused...

Wentz locks onto his targets and can't be coached up, but Jones doesn't?

Also, Chad Kelly is returning to Ole Miss

Yes, Cardale does the staredown at times... I've seen him make throws I'm sure he wished he could have back, but I think there's something commendable about his lack of hesitation... This kid really wants to sling that ball! I see traits that remind me a little of of David Garrard, -and that gets me really excited about his potential...

I hear Jones is here in Cali training with George Whitfield :unsure: -Not sure how I feel about that.... I'm sure it will improve his footwork, and fine-tune his throwing mechanics. Still, I really wish he could work with an ex-NFL pro like Garrard on decision making, and the finer points of reading defenses...

I really can't answer that accurately...He's still a college player, and the pro game is another world.... What it comes down to, IMO, is aptitude... Aptitude is what separates the men from the boys at the QB position... Aptitude supports decision-making in critical situations... Unfortunately, Aptitude is best observed in live-fire scenarios.. Since Jones was not the Starter for most of last season, You'd have to go back to the championship season before....There were many ways Jones' inexperience as a starter could have hurt is team in that NC game... Many chances for him to shrink back from the size of what was in front of him.

But Jones didn't.

The game wasn't too big for this third-stringer (who should've never seen the field) to not only play, but WIN. -That's a kid I place a priority on when I'm drafting... Especially, if I'm in the market for a franchise QB.

Edited by #34fan

@TyDunne

Carson Wentz's QB coach said the #Bills visited campus to see him as much as any team in the league. There's been interest for a while.

"And as Wentz morphed into a legitimate NFL prospect, one team kept showing up again and again … the Buffalo Bills.

Hedberg calls him an “exceptional athlete” who’s also “highly intelligent.” Once, Wentz knew to switch to a specific protection the Bison never ran in any practice, any game.

“We were in a no-back formation — and we had only talked about it, we had never done it," Hedberg said. "We were in a five-man protection and normally our five-man protection is a man/zone concept. Well, he recognized that we were going to get pressure off one side and they were going to drop the end off the other side. We gap-protected it with five men and picked up that particular pressure.

“That’s his football IQ. It’s so high. I think he’s really special, I really do.”

We could only be so lucky.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

In the past I've wanted Keapernick or Conor Cook in a Bills uni but now I'd rather draft Wentz.

No chance they're getting Wentz unless they trade up. Don't see that happening either. Wentz stock right now is skyrocketing. On many boards he's a top-8 pick. I think much more likely that they could pull a Cardale Jones in the 4th round. Don't see a QB being picked before then as none of their picks are luxury picks. Many holes to be filled and QB isn't one of them.

I want Cardale Jones in the 3rd. He is a big durable QB with a cannon for an arm. He can extend plays with his size and athleticism. Sit him behind TT and let him learn the game.

Oh and delete his twitter and put social media restrictions in his contract.

what's wrong with his Twitter? Edited by YoloinOhio