2016 Draft QB thread

Beerball

RD5 QB. Yes, I'm a Tyrod Taylor guy, but when Tyrod went out, we (EJ) made stupid errors. He may not be fixable. There is a lot of QBs in the draft that fit Roman's scheme and the desire for mobility and size, especially if we see some Jr's declare. I hope it isn't Connor Cook. Day 3 please.

Sudfeld from Indiana sprays the ball around well, Prescott has elusiveness, Coker's more than a game manager, and Brandon Doughty has the best comp pct of anyone on Day 3. One of them (and likely 3 of the 4) will be there RD5.

Thats cool. I read your Off season practice re-caps. The were golden for the boring days at work or extended trips on the throne. Thank you for posting them. I would read and hope TT won the job because Ive seen what EJ could do and thought TT should get an opportunity. He got one and was our best QB season in the last what 10 years?

yes but I think we need a backup who will eventually be the guy. TT is a running QB and don't believe he will become the Elite QB we need to win the Super Bowl.

So I wouldn't bother with true backup type of guys.

I disagree. TT proved this season he is not a running QB. He is a QB that CAN run which makes him very dangerous for opposing defenses. Do I think he is the 2nd coming of Kelly? Nah but hes solid and easily better then half the starting QBs in the league while being a 1st year starter he will get better dont let the Flutie curse jade you from seeing hes the best QB weve had in the past 10 years. Should we draft a good QB this draft? Absolutely.

I don't think any of us are saying if someone who you think can be elite is there at one of their first 2 or 3 picks they shouldn't pull the trigger because they are "waiting for Hogan" but I don't at the moment see a guy this year who is worth reaching for with a high pick so then you start looking at guys you can take as developmental picks further down who could come in and maybe be a solid #2 or even end up as competition for Tyrod. They are the circumstances in which some of us are advocating Hogan. I'm more than happy if they have already found a guy who represents value in one of the first 2 or 3 rounds who they think could be elite.

EDIT: Also you don't need an elite QB to win the Superbowl. You need a franchise QB.... can Tyrod make it into that category? Maybe not but maybe so. I think they should take a QB this year regardless whether it is a guy they have really high hopes for in the first couple of rounds or a Hogan like safe developmental pick in the mid rounds.

Agree. after Ryan castrated our Def and we never replaced Spikes, the 1st 2 rounds need to be a stud DE/LB and/or a NFL ready RT if available

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Atta boy! Exactly the drafting philosophy that has made the Bills great.

I think it safe to assume that the Bills won't(shouldn't) draft a QB in the 1st round this year. As 2016 is the season where we make a decision on TT's future, a 1st round pick on a QB now could potentially be a huge waste of resources.

In the past 30 years there has only been 2 QBs drafted after the top 36 picks that have seen a second contract with their drafting team(Brady, Wilson). Those resources(picks 37+) are by far more likely to find you a Darby or Kyle Williams than a solution at QB.

In the past 30 years there has only been 2 QBs drafted after the top 36 picks that have seen a second contract with their drafting team(Brady, Wilson). Those resources(picks 37+) are by far more likely to find you a Darby or Kyle Williams than a solution at QB.

Kirk Cousins is about to add his name ti that list and there is always UDFA Romo to consider.

I don't know what to make of Hogan's delivery and arm strenght. sometimes it looks good but the majority of the times it seems that he doesn't have the arm for Buffalo weather (like the season finale)

So nobody would have a problem with Hogan's arm strenght if he were to be drafted by Buffalo.

Kirk Cousins is about to add his name ti that list and there is always UDFA Romo to consider.

Free agent Kurt Warner did ok too. And 36 picks is pretty deep, that means every team passed on the player at least once.

Anyone who watched the game last night might want to consider how important the backup QB position is. Taylor had a decent year, but the Bills really need to approach QB as unsettled.

So nobody would have a problem with Hogan's arm strenght if he were to be drafted by Buffalo.

I do, nice kid just doesn't have it, Mike Billoti said he is in now way a NFL QB and I agree.

Official now - he was given time to reconsider

@dpbrugler

QB Connor Cook has declined his #SeniorBowl invitation, according to a source. Not a shock, but disappointing.

he keeps this up maybe we can get him in the second :thumbsup:

and Kurt Warner (not that I am in favor of late rd QBs)

I do, nice kid just doesn't have it, Mike Billoti said he is in now way a NFL QB and I agree.

he keeps this up maybe we can get him in the second :thumbsup:

and Kurt Warner (not that I am in favor of late rd QBs)

Why would we want a guy with sub 60% completion, bad performances in his tougher games, and respected so little by his teammates that he's a fifth year starting QB who was the early favorite to be the #1 overall pick this season, yet he wasn't even named captain? I don't want him at all.

Why would we want a guy with sub 60% completion, bad performances in his tougher games, and respected so little by his teammates that he's a fifth year starting QB who was the early favorite to be the #1 overall pick this season, yet he wasn't even named captain? I don't want him at all.

Ummm....

I'll admit to being intrigued by Trevone Boykin. Most think he's not a NFL QB but may be able to play WR, with his arrest prior to the bowl game he may have completely tanked his stock. I'm not 100% convinced he can't play QB, his build is pretty similar to Tyrod's and prior to his injury this year he looked like a human video game on the field. I wouldn't complain about taking him very late or undrafted to give him a shot in camp or see if his athleticism can translate him into a "slash" role.

I think it safe to assume that the Bills won't(shouldn't) draft a QB in the 1st round this year. As 2016 is the season where we make a decision on TT's future, a 1st round pick on a QB now could potentially be a huge waste of resources.

It's unlikely a QB taken after the 1st rd will get a second contract with a team because it's unlikely he'll be given a chance. Still this statement is false David Garrard got a 2nd contract. Sure their are others like Frank Reich who were career backups. Which at the least this team needs.

Edited by Section242

It's unlikely a QB taken after the 1st rd will get a second contract with a team because it's unlikely he'll be given a chance. Still this statement is false David Garrard got a 2nd contract.

Thank you. I doubt there is any fanbase in the NFL better able to come up with excuses NOT to draft a QB.

It's unlikely a QB taken after the 1st rd will get a second contract with a team because it's unlikely he'll be given a chance. Still this statement is false David Garrard got a 2nd contract. Sure their are others like Frank Reich who were career backups. Which at the least this team needs.

My appologies, I can see that I wasn't exactly clear. I was not referring to finding a backup QB. I should have said "QBs who become good starters for many years".

I have no problem with people wanting to draft a QB after pick 36 in order to find a serviceable backup. But people should keep in mind that a serviceable backup QB is not a good QB. Odds of finding a good QB after pick 36 are extremely slim.

Thank you. I doubt there is any fanbase in the NFL better able to come up with excuses NOT to draft a QB.

I can't speak for the rest of the fanbase, but personally I would be happy if we drafted a QB in the 1st round every 2nd or 3rd year till we find our franchise QB. This year is not one of those 2nd or 3rd years(due to TT).

I can't speak for the rest of the fanbase, but personally I would be happy if we drafted a QB in the 1st round every 2nd or 3rd year till we find our franchise QB. This year is not one of those 2nd or 3rd years(due to TT).

It's definitely one of those years (because of TT).

The Bills won't be the 1st pick in the draft any time soon. You draft a guy now and let him learn behind the vet.

Cook, Kelly, Wentz, Hackenberg, Doughty

because he is not that good, If you want Matt Cassel he's your guy

I am up-front about not following college football.

But if we're shopping for a backup QB, I would absolutely LOVE to draft Matt Cassel's clone.

1) he was drafted in the 7th round - low risk

2) he came off the bench as the backup QB in his 4th year and went 10-5 as the starter, just missing the playoffs

3) he was then able to be franchised and traded as the major part of a 34th over all pick. They used a 7th round pick, they obtained a high 2nd round pick - major increase in value

4) he took his next team to the playoffs his 2nd year with them and went to the probowl

As "Magical Franchise Man", Cassel not so much

As a 33 yr old who threw 5 TD to 7 INT and went 1-6, I don't regret shipping him south to the Cowboys nor do I fallaciously believe the Bills would have been better off when TT was hurt

As a 7th round pick drafted to play backup, Matt Cassel is "All That and a Bag of Chips" with me.

I agree on the "draft a QB" but not limited to the 1st round.

And we should definitely draft a QB in a mid-round or above every 3 years. This is the 3rd year since we drafted a QB, pull the trigger now!