2016 Draft QB thread

Beerball

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Michigan kid, Jake Rudock. Great release and accuracy. Over 3000 yards this year. Very bright. 3rd-4th round maybe??

I haven't seen a lot of his play this year but I'm still scarred for life by his play at Iowa. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

This was my favourite target of his (sorry if the expletive in the tweet offends) - https://twitter.com/StephenCulley/status/589116267564560385

Whaley on 2016 QB class

Bills GM Doug Whaley in a radio interview recently was asked to assess the 2016 NFL draft class. Whaley believes there will be a lot of options, just not too many at the top of the draft.

Whaley appeared on Bills flagship station WGR Sportsradio 550 last week and believes most of the value for quarterbacks will be in the middle rounds.

Maybe I missed it but Kelly can return to Ole Miss. They should be looking early. Not in a spot they were in when drafted Manuel 3 rounds before they should've, but if a guy is available in round 1 they think can turn the franchise around they need to pull the trigger.

A few QB write-ups I've done:

In each case, I picked the video of the player’s game that came against the toughest defense.

Brandon Doughty – Western Kentucky, 6’3”, 220 lbs, Senior

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/brandon-doughty-vs-lsu-2015/

Notes (time in video relating to note):

- General comments: With Doughty, the ball most often comes out quickly, in rhythm, and on target. He has a nice delivery and footwork, which makes him efficient. He also moves well in the pocket.

- Reads the whole field; willing to take what defense gives (1:39)

- Loses accuracy when he doesn’t set his feel (back-to-back plays starting at 1:46, also an ugly one at 9:00)

- Can get through progressions to his 2nd read quickly (3:50)

- (4:55) won’t go down as an eye-catching throw, but it’s a big-time read-and-react throw facing a rush while backed up to his own end zone

- (5:37) Love this throw…under duress, off his back foot, into double coverage

- (6:43) Small thing, but he puts the ball in a great spot for the WR to turn upfield and gain YAC

- (7:18) Not a tough throw, but he comes off his 1st read to see the blown coverage; TD

- (7:48) Feels the blindside pressure, rolls to safety, and delivers a strike on the run

- (8:10) Love how he keeps his feel active in the pocket here; needs to do that more often

- (9:15) Will occasion to fail to climb to safety—usually when he’s been pressured repeatedly

- (10:00) Money throw—perfectly thrown crossing route; impossible to defend

Summary: I love how quickly the ball comes out, and he’s got solid mechanics. The LSU game showed me that the speed of the game at the highest level of college play isn’t too much for him, but there’s no way to know if he can adjust to the speed of the NFL game. I like the raw material enough to spend a late 2nd/early 3rd on him to groom as a possible franchise QB.

Carson Wentz –North Dakota State, 6’6”, 235 lbs, Senior

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/carson-wentz-vs-weber-state-2015/

- General comments: Wentz is a huge kid with a very good arm. His release time is okay; not great. From the 8 games I watched, this game (vs. Weber State) was his best in terms of getting the ball out quickly. In others, he tends to hold the ball at the back of his drop; it’s a big concern in terms of his ability to play at the next level when things happen in a nanosecond. He’s a very good athlete for a guy his size.

- Needs to bring his delivery point up (back-to back-plays starting at 0:20)

- Shows the athleticism to take off and run (0:50)

- (1:53) plenty of arm on the boundary routes; ball placement is consistently good

- General observation: sets his feet too wide, and I think it makes his delivery a bit slower and his transfer of power a bit inefficient

- (2:38) very good accuracy on the run; oh, and isn’t it nice to see a college QB take a snap under center?

- (3:26) great job climbing the pocket when pressured outside; I’d like to see this throw give the WR a better shot though

- (4:48) nice touch on the deep fade; perfect placement

- (6:09) comes off his first read and makes a nice effort to go for the big play; needs to get that ball just a bit further over the top.

- (6:38) this here’s a money throw. Stays with the play fake long enough to hold the safety, and then zips the ball up the seam between defenders. Not perfect ball placement, but this type of quickness and arm strength is valuable.

- (7:22) this is the type of play that worries me a bit. He double clutches that ball instead of letting it rip at the back of his drop. I know it’s only one play, but I’ve seen this type of delay too often from him in his other games. He’ll need to overcome this at the next level.

- (8:49) another example of needing to speed things up; takes an unnecessary hit to make a throw that was there 1.5 seconds earlier

Summary: If you’re looking for ideal measurables, solid arm strength, and good athleticism, then Wentz is your guy. I think scouts will drool over his raw material, but I think coaches will wonder how he will handle the speed of the NFL game, especially coming from an FCS program. I think he’ll be overdrafted as a 1st round pick this April, because if I’m an NFL GM, and I’m taking my shot at a franchise guy, I’m going to miss on a guy with all the physical talent. I wouldn’t want to anoint him a starter from day 1, as I think he could really benefit from sitting behind a smart QB like Ryan Fitzpatrick or Matt Hasselbeck.

Next up: Paxton Lynch of Memphis (spoiler alert: I'm not a fan), MSU's Connor Cook, and Cody Kessler of USC.

In each case, I picked the video of the player’s game that came against the toughest defense.

- General comments: With Doughty, the ball most often comes out quickly, in rhythm, and on target. He has a nice delivery and footwork, which makes him efficient. He also moves well in the pocket.

- Loses accuracy when he doesn’t set his feel (back-to-back plays starting at 1:46, also an ugly one at 9:00)

- (4:55) won’t go down as an eye-catching throw, but it’s a big-time read-and-react throw facing a rush while backed up to his own end zone

- (6:43) Small thing, but he puts the ball in a great spot for the WR to turn upfield and gain YAC

- (7:18) Not a tough throw, but he comes off his 1st read to see the blown coverage; TD

- (7:48) Feels the blindside pressure, rolls to safety, and delivers a strike on the run

- (8:10) Love how he keeps his feel active in the pocket here; needs to do that more often

- (9:15) Will occasion to fail to climb to safety—usually when he’s been pressured repeatedly

Summary: I love how quickly the ball comes out, and he’s got solid mechanics. The LSU game showed me that the speed of the game at the highest level of college play isn’t too much for him, but there’s no way to know if he can adjust to the speed of the NFL game. I like the raw material enough to spend a late 2nd/early 3rd on him to groom as a possible franchise QB.

We've talked about this before but I really like Doughty as well. The ball comes out quick and he reads the field quick as well. Has a really nice arm as well.

because he is not that good, If you want Matt Cassel he's your guy

I saw Hogan play a ton of games over the last four years and I can't make up my mind about him. He's smart,, has a big, durable body and is surprisingly mobile. Has sort of a funny throwing motion that makes it look like he's pushing the ball. Not the strongest arm, but he gets the job done. I don't think he's a future franchise QB, but could be a 10-year pro in the mold of say Ryan Fitzpatrick, Frank Reich or Matt Hasselback. Not a bad guy to draft if you are looking to groom a back-up QB who can win some games when your starter goes down.

Edited by mannc

I saw Hogan play a ton of games over the last four years and I can't make up my mind about him. He's smart,, has a big, durable body and is surprisingly mobile. Has sort of a funny throwing motion that makes it look like he's pushing the ball. Not the strongest arm, but he gets the job done. I don't think he's a future franchise QB, but could be a 10-year pro in the mold of say Ryan Fitzpatrick, Frank Reich or Matt Hasselback. Not a bad guy to draft if you are looking to groom a back-up QB who can win some games when your starter goes down.

I think he is a high quality back up / low end starter type but with the potential to maybe be better than that. I'd have no problem with taking him from the 4th onwards.

I feel like he's improved his throwing motion, actually.

Very smooth. Could be a big reason for his overall improvement this year.

When you have a solid YOUNG starting QB, you don't discuss drafting QB. You talk about finding a journeyman backup. The only folks who weren't impressed with Tyrod this year are Bills fans. We have our QB, gentlemen. We need a backup and that won't come in the draft. We need RT, Safety, LB, and D-line (and maybe WR depending on what happens) far more. We can't waste a draft pick on ANOTHER experiment at QB. TT is our starting QB, like it or not. And he's too young to be drafting his backup.

I feel like he's improved his throwing motion, actually.

Very smooth. Could be a big reason for his overall improvement this year.

I agree. And don't forget, Hogan has been a very productive four-year starter at one of the best programs in the country, and one that runs a pro-style offense, as well. His transition to the pros should be a fairly smooth one. I can't see him lasting past the fifth round.

I agree. And don't forget, Hogan has been a very productive four-year starter at one of the best programs in the country, and one that runs a pro-style offense, as well. His transition to the pros should be a fairly smooth one. I can't see him lasting past the fifth round.

Me too. My strategy would be to trade back a few spots maybe in the second and try and pick up an extra 4th and use that to pick him if he is still there... cos I think the 5th is where he will grade out on boards and picking middle of the round I don't think we get a shot. Obviously you don't pass up a real difference maker you like in the second if one is there just so you can pick Hogan in the 4th... but that kind of play is something I'd like to see.

Edited by GunnerBill

Carson Wentz –North Dakota State, 6’6”, 235 lbs, Senior

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/carson-wentz-vs-weber-state-2015/

- General comments: Wentz is a huge kid with a very good arm. His release time is okay; not great. From the 8 games I watched, this game (vs. Weber State) was his best in terms of getting the ball out quickly. In others, he tends to hold the ball at the back of his drop; it’s a big concern in terms of his ability to play at the next level when things happen in a nanosecond. He’s a very good athlete for a guy his size.

- Needs to bring his delivery point up (back-to back-plays starting at 0:20)

- Shows the athleticism to take off and run (0:50)

- (1:53) plenty of arm on the boundary routes; ball placement is consistently good

- General observation: sets his feet too wide, and I think it makes his delivery a bit slower and his transfer of power a bit inefficient

- (2:38) very good accuracy on the run; oh, and isn’t it nice to see a college QB take a snap under center?

- (3:26) great job climbing the pocket when pressured outside; I’d like to see this throw give the WR a better shot though

- (4:48) nice touch on the deep fade; perfect placement

- (6:09) comes off his first read and makes a nice effort to go for the big play; needs to get that ball just a bit further over the top.

- (6:38) this here’s a money throw. Stays with the play fake long enough to hold the safety, and then zips the ball up the seam between defenders. Not perfect ball placement, but this type of quickness and arm strength is valuable.

- (7:22) this is the type of play that worries me a bit. He double clutches that ball instead of letting it rip at the back of his drop. I know it’s only one play, but I’ve seen this type of delay too often from him in his other games. He’ll need to overcome this at the next level.

- (8:49) another example of needing to speed things up; takes an unnecessary hit to make a throw that was there 1.5 seconds earlier

Summary: If you’re looking for ideal measurables, solid arm strength, and good athleticism, then Wentz is your guy. I think scouts will drool over his raw material, but I think coaches will wonder how he will handle the speed of the NFL game, especially coming from an FCS program. I think he’ll be overdrafted as a 1st round pick this April, because if I’m an NFL GM, and I’m taking my shot at a franchise guy, I’m going to miss on a guy with all the physical talent. I wouldn’t want to anoint him a starter from day 1, as I think he could really benefit from sitting behind a smart QB like Ryan Fitzpatrick or Matt Hasselbeck.

Next up: Paxton Lynch of Memphis (spoiler alert: I'm not a fan), MSU's Connor Cook, and Cody Kessler of USC.

We made that mistake with EJ, Wentz does look the part but I would wait till the 2nd.

Are you dong Chad Kelly?

Penn State QB Hackeberg declares for 2016 draft.

This marriage never had a chance.

Penn State junior quarterback Christian Hackenberg declared for the 2016 NFL Draft after the Nittany Lions' 24-7 loss to Georgia in the Taxslayer Bowl.

Hackenberg had a really good freshman season in 2013 under then-head coach Bill O’Brien, who employed a pro-style offense that fit the gunslinger's skills.

http://footbasket.com/posts/10065362/penn-state-qb-christian-hackenberg-declares-for-draft--thanks-everyone-except-coach-james-franklin.html