2016 Draft QB thread

Beerball

Of the prospects, I'd probably cut Hackenberg the most slack because he was constantly under duress on an under-manned Penn State team that had lost many scholarships. Still, in spite of those lost scholarships, Penn State likely still had a lot more talent than most college teams - just not elite talent.

the Big 10 had some decent defenses the last couple years and PSU really couldn't compete in the trenches. He has all the tools. But like Cook, you want to project what will happen in the NFL when under pressure. That's what scares me with them. Can't assume they will have good OL play and magically produce. I would rank Cook above Hack. But either *could* succeed given ideal conditions.

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@nfldraftscout

Who has the most velocity at QB? On the radar gun: Paxton Lynch - 59 mph Jared Goff - 58 mph Carson Wentz - 57 mph (h/t @Ourlads_Shonka)

@KevinClarkWSJ

Kevin Clark Retweeted Matt Miller

A GM told me he's finding that QB velocity is a lot more important than he thought and that research surprised him.

Lowest velocity of 2016 Combine quarterbacks? Connor Cook, at 50 mph

@nfldraftscout

Who has the most velocity at QB? On the radar gun: Paxton Lynch - 59 mph Jared Goff - 58 mph Carson Wentz - 57 mph (h/t @Ourlads_Shonka)

@KevinClarkWSJ

Kevin Clark Retweeted Matt Miller

A GM told me he's finding that QB velocity is a lot more important than he thought and that research surprised him.

Lowest velocity of 2016 Combine quarterbacks? Connor Cook, at 50 mph

Yeah, Lynch is going to be special in the NFL. Hope he's there at 19. If not, what's the name of that Michigan QB who played so well in the Senior Bowl. He'd be a good later round pick.

Yeah, Lynch is going to be special in the NFL. Hope he's there at 19. If not, what's the name of that Michigan QB who played so well in the Senior Bowl. He'd be a good later round pick.

It's funny how people can have such different opinions and it's what makes things great. Personally, I think Lynch looks like a gimmicky college qb and I don't think he is going to amount to anything. Obviously a lot depends on which team gets him because he does have some physical tools.

But his bowl game was such an underwhelming performance. He was awful.

It's gotta be Cardale now... We have needs at DT, ILB, and now OLB... If he's around in the 3rd, it's a steal...

I was big on the Cardale team because he has such a great skill set and seems to be the perfect developmental qb. However, I'm starting to think his fatal flaws might be too much to overcome. Add to that Urban Meter Qbs don't translate well to the NFL.

He is probably the most interesting qb prospect in the draft. If he gets drafted in the right spot, it could be a home run. But he really needs to sit for a bit and learn.

It's funny how people can have such different opinions and it's what makes things great. Personally, I think Lynch looks like a gimmicky college qb and I don't think he is going to amount to anything. Obviously a lot depends on which team gets him because he does have some physical tools.

But his bowl game was such an underwhelming performance. He was awful.

I was big on the Cardale team because he has such a great skill set and seems to be the perfect developmental qb. However, I'm starting to think his fatal flaws might be too much to overcome. Add to that Urban Meter Qbs don't translate well to the NFL.

He is probably the most interesting qb prospect in the draft. If he gets drafted in the right spot, it could be a home run. But he really needs to sit for a bit and learn.

I am not a Cardale Jones fan at all. With all of his obvious physical talent, if he could not even earn and maintain the starting job in college, then there must be some significant deficiencies that exist. Further, it would be difficult to justify spending even a 3rd round pick on a guy who started only 10 games in his college career. If he is available in round 5, I might start considering him then.

Physical talent is only part of the requirements. If that was all it took to succeed, then JP Losmqn and EJ Manuel would have been successful.

I am not a Cardale Jones fan at all. With all of his obvious physical talent, if he could not even earn and maintain the starting job in college, then there must be some significant deficiencies that exist. Further, it would be difficult to justify spending even a 3rd round pick on a guy who started only 10 games in his college career. If he is available in round 5, I might start considering him then.

Physical talent is only part of the requirements. If that was all it took to succeed, then JP Losmqn and EJ Manuel would have been successful.

Agree with TWO things here... Took the Liberty of highlighting both.... You're dead-on when you say Physical talent is just a small part of the picture... The bigger part, to me, is how an individual responds to pressure and/or adversity... The "mental game" if you will... it's one of the big things that separated Russell Wilson from the rest of the QB's in that class... Like it or not, Cardale Jones won a NC.... He made throws he had no business making in a game he had absolutely no business being in... Being able to rise to occaisions is HUGE for leadership roles in the NFL... Instead of cuting him down for getting benched, Cardale should be applauded for winning when he had the opportunity...

PM got benched earlier this year too... For a guy with deep NFL bloodlines the sherriff looked downright terrible at times... Still, look who won out in the end... I was a little disheartened by Cardale's social media follies, but I understand these things are an immovable pat of his generation... It's weird to guys like us beacause we didn't grow up with anything like it! -Hate to think what would have resulted if we did.

I agree that Urban Meyer QB's struggle to translate... But why? -My observations lead me to believe that Urban Meyer is a master of talent assesment... He grabs kids he identifies as winners. -Period. However, he isn't so much at the "development" aspect of the sport. Say what you want about Tim Tebow, the guy was, and IS, a stud athlete... Who DID win an NFL playoff game at QB... Alex Smith, another Urban Meyer QB, is an underrated athlete that has looked downright brilliant at times. -Contributing to a 10-game win streak for KC last season.. It took years... And a change of venue... Still, it happened. I put Cardale in the same bag as the others... Not based on draft-banter or wishful thinking, but on the grit he showed when the time came... -Which is what all this is about.

Sitting is great., but it doesn't work for everybody... Some guys learn better on the job, and that's a fact... I'll go on record as saying that if Cardale rejects the fear others are imparting to him, and continues to hone his mental game, he will be a fearsome weapon in this league. I don't recall feeling that way about Losman, or EJ.

Edited by #34fan

Sitting is great., but it doesn't work for everybody... Some guys learn better on the job, and that's a fact... I'll go on record as saying that if Cardale rejects the fear others are imparting to him, and continues to hone his mental game, he will be a fearsome weapon in this league. I don't recall feeling that way about Losman, or EJ.

I'll go on record as saying if he starts out of the gate it will be a car crash.

Agree with TWO things here... Took the Liberty of highlighting both.... You're dead-on when you say Physical talent is just a small part of the picture... The bigger part, to me, is how an individual responds to pressure and/or adversity... The "mental game" if you will... it's one of the big things that separated Russell Wilson from the rest of the QB's in that class... Like it or not, Cardale Jones won a NC.... He made throws he had no business making in a game he had absolutely no business being in... Being able to rise to occaisions is HUGE for leadership roles in the NFL... Instead of cuting him down for getting benched, Cardale should be applauded for winning when he had the opportunity...

PM got benched earlier this year too... For a guy with deep NFL bloodlines the sherriff looked downright terrible at times... Still, look who won out in the end... I was a little disheartened by Cardale's social media follies, but I understand these things are an immovable pat of his generation... It's weird to guys like us beacause we didn't grow up with anything like it! -Hate to think what would have resulted if we did.

I agree that Urban Meyer QB's struggle to translate... But why? -My observations lead me to believe that Urban Meyer is a master of talent assesment... He grabs kids he identifies as winners. -Period. However, he isn't so much at the "development" aspect of the sport. Say what you want about Tim Tebow, the guy was, and IS, a stud athlete... Who DID win an NFL playoff game at QB... Alex Smith, another Urban Meyer QB, is an underrated athlete that has looked downright brilliant at times. -Contributing to a 10-game win streak for KC last season.. It took years... And a change of venue... Still, it happened. I put Cardale in the same bag as the others... Not based on draft-banter or wishful thinking, but on the grit he showed when the time came... -Which is what all this is about.

Cardale isn't an Urban Meyer QB. He didn't recruit him. He inherited him from Jim Tressel. He would have never played him in the playoffs unless he had no other option. He was supposed to be Braxton's backup and he played Barrett instead because he recruited and hand-picked Barrett specifically to run his offense. It wasn't because Cardale wasn't a good player, but because he isn't a fit for his offense. That's actually a good thing where his NFL projections are concerned.

Not sure who said he couldn't learn the offense. That's not true at all. He just isn't good at running the read option. Urban has no interest in changing anything to fit a player because he doesn't have to. He has other players who are a fit for his offense.

Edited by YoloinOhio