2016 Draft QB thread

Beerball

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with TWO things here... Took the Liberty of highlighting both.... You're dead-on when you say Physical talent is just a small part of the picture... The bigger part, to me, is how an individual responds to pressure and/or adversity... The "mental game" if you will... it's one of the big things that separated Russell Wilson from the rest of the QB's in that class... Like it or not, Cardale Jones won a NC.... He made throws he had no business making in a game he had absolutely no business being in... Being able to rise to occaisions is HUGE for leadership roles in the NFL... Instead of cuting him down for getting benched, Cardale should be applauded for winning when he had the opportunity...

PM got benched earlier this year too... For a guy with deep NFL bloodlines the sherriff looked downright terrible at times... Still, look who won out in the end... I was a little disheartened by Cardale's social media follies, but I understand these things are an immovable pat of his generation... It's weird to guys like us beacause we didn't grow up with anything like it! -Hate to think what would have resulted if we did.

I agree that Urban Meyer QB's struggle to translate... But why? -My observations lead me to believe that Urban Meyer is a master of talent assesment... He grabs kids he identifies as winners. -Period. However, he isn't so much at the "development" aspect of the sport. Say what you want about Tim Tebow, the guy was, and IS, a stud athlete... Who DID win an NFL playoff game at QB... Alex Smith, another Urban Meyer QB, is an underrated athlete that has looked downright brilliant at times. -Contributing to a 10-game win streak for KC last season.. It took years... And a change of venue... Still, it happened. I put Cardale in the same bag as the others... Not based on draft-banter or wishful thinking, but on the grit he showed when the time came... -Which is what all this is about.

Sitting is great., but it doesn't work for everybody... Some guys learn better on the job, and that's a fact... I'll go on record as saying that if Cardale rejects the fear others are imparting to him, and continues to hone his mental game, he will be a fearsome weapon in this league. I don't recall feeling that way about Losman, or EJ.

Some good points in here. Couple of things:

1) I think Urban has an outstanding system for college Qbs that make them look successful and make some of the weaknesses that will get exposed in the pros.

2) Jines played well but it's hard to say he was the reason they won the NC. They had 2 other Qbs who were playing well and probably would have won the championship with. His career numbers 15 tds, 7 ints don't jump off the page.

3) I just saw he is older than I thought. He is turning 24 this year. I definitely thought he was younger than that.

Nevertheless, he's about as interesting of a guy to take in the later rounds. This year was pretty disappointing and die give me a pause. But if you aren't drafting a qb high, I think you should swing for the fences in the 3rd or later. You just need to be realistic about their progression.

@realfootballtv

#RFN Scouting Report | Brandon Doughty, QB Pocket passer w/ great accuracy & quick release. https://realfootballnetwork.com/2016/01/07/brandon-doughty/

CcvMvarWAAETMb0.jpg

Does anyone know how old he is? I can't find anywhere.

Cardale isn't an Urban Meyer QB. He didn't recruit him. He inherited him from Jim Tressel. He would have never played him in the playoffs unless he had no other option. He was supposed to be Braxton's backup and he played Barrett instead because he recruited and hand-picked Barrett specifically to run his offense. It wasn't because Cardale wasn't a good player, but because he isn't a fit for his offense. That's actually a good thing where his NFL projections are concerned.

Not sure who said he couldn't learn the offense. That's not true at all. He just isn't good at running the read option. Urban has no interest in changing anything to fit a player because he doesn't have to. He has other players who are a fit for his offense.

Youre absolutely right... In fairness, they probabaly meant a QB coached in an Urban Meyer system.... Jim Tressell QB's translated far WORSE in the pro's than Meyer's... I see Cardale as belonging to neither group, really.

Edited by #34fan

I don't think we will because I don't think anyone is going to ask him to start out of the gate.

One never knows.... Pointless to over-speculate on how he'll do, which is why I stopped short of it... He wasn't supposed to start a college game either, yet one National Championship later, you and I are having this discussion...For the time being I give him a fighting chance... He's earned that, at the very least.

Does anyone know how old he is? I can't find anywhere.

I think I read that he's 24 as well. 5 years in college and redshirted twice?

I might be wrong.

Are people saying he's accurate simply because the numbers indicate so? When watching the LSU game, as soon as he started getting pressured, the ball placement went to hell.

One never knows.... Pointless to over-speculate on how he'll do, which is why I stopped short of it... He wasn't supposed to start a college game either, yet one National Championship later, you and I are having this discussion...For the time being I give him a fighting chance... He's earned that, at the very least.

I give him a chance to be good, just not right out of the gate. Plenty of National Champion QBs have not been good professionals.

The record-setting quarterback talks about the importance of throwing to familiar targets during Stanford's on-campus workout scheduled for March 17, what he learned working with former NFL greats Steve Mariucci and Kurt Warner and why he took the time to honor his grandfather and war hero, Captain James O'Brien, by visiting the retired aircraft carrier, the U.S.S. Midway, in San Diego.

I think he's a priority for the Bills. They'll take him in the 3rd.

I wouldn't bank on it. I mean 3rd round sounds about right but the guys stock has been shooting through the roof. If the Bills wan him it's going to have to be in round 2 most likely

I wouldn't bank on it. I mean 3rd round sounds about right but the guys stock has been shooting through the roof. If the Bills wan him it's going to have to be in round 2 most likely

If an NFL team takes Dak Prescott in round 2, then they deserve what they get.

He doesn't look like anything above a middle-of-day-3 pick to me, and I would have my trigger finger ready to fire my GM if he spent a day 2 pick on him and it didn't work out in my favor quickly.

His stock has risen, but he's what? Arguably the 5th best prospect in this draft? 2nd round is a very optimistic prediction.

His stock has risen, but he's what? Arguably the 5th best prospect in this draft? 2nd round is a very optimistic prediction.

I think one could argue he's the 3rd best or 4th. I think he's arguably better than Hackenberg and Lynch has been falling. I'm not saying he is but it can be argued

He doesn't look like anything above a middle-of-day-3 pick to me, and I would have my trigger finger ready to fire my GM if he spent a day 2 pick on him and it didn't work out in my favor quickly.

This. Exactly this.

Really? You would fire a GM for taking a shot at a QB in round 2? How long would you wait to see if Prescott is actually any good? What about a GM who wastes a round 2 pick on a right tackle with a bad medical history who can't even sniff the field after 2 years, despite crying need at the position? Is that a firing offense? If my GM is going to roll the dice, I want him to do it with a QB.

Really? You would fire a GM for taking a shot at a QB in round 2? How long would you wait to see if Prescott is actually any good? What about a GM who wastes a round 2 pick on a right tackle with a bad medical history who can't even sniff the field after 2 years, despite crying need at the position? Is that a firing offense? If my GM is going to roll the dice, I want him to do it with a QB.

I would fire a GM for taking a shot on a QB that is as flawed as Prescott with a 2nd round pick, provided that it ended as poorly as I think it will.

And yeah, I hated the Kouandjio pick. Never liked him as a player, but he was on a lot of boards in the top-50, so that's far less egregious to me.