2016 Draft QB thread

Beerball

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@NFL_CFB

.@MoveTheSticks, @LanceZierlein assess Dak Prescott's draft stock after QB's DUI arrest --> http://on.nfl.com/1QToXsg

CdifLn_W4AAv3sP.jpg

In his latest diary entry exclusively for NFLDraftScout.com, Hogan explains why he'll only be throwing at Stanford's March 17 pro day and identifies the receivers he'll be throwing to in the hopes of catching the fancy of NFL scouts.

It isn't about what he is today as a obviously raw prospect with great potential.

you are arguing with some one who is doing nothing other than hating on someone, with no stated basis for his opinion. That which is stated without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Cardale Jones is a huge guy, who's mobile, has a cannon arm, nice touch on the ball, and performed at his very best on the biggest stage there is. He might not be a first rounder, but I can't think of a better guy for the Bills to take a shot on as a developmental prospect. The fact that he mysteriously struggled at times this year--like the entire Buckeye team--should be viewed as fortunate for teams that will now have a shot at him in the middle rounds.

Edited by mannc

you are arguing with some one who is doing nothing other than hating on someone, with no stated basis for his opinion. That which is stated without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Cardale Jones is a huge guy, who's mobile, has a cannon arm, nice touch on the ball, and performed at his very best on the biggest stage there is. He might not be a first rounder, but I can't think of a better guy for the Bills to take a shot on as a developmental prospect. The fact that he mysteriously struggled at times this year--like the entire Buckeye team--should be viewed as fortunate for teams that will now have a shot at him in the middle rounds.

I was hoping that he would substantiate his critique of Cardale with some reasoning. Oh well. dunno.gif

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

nothing mysterious about it. He struggled in the up tempo RPO offense that is fit for a quick decision-making, running QB. They had a new OC this year and didn't run it as much in 2014, and didn't run it at all in the playoffs. He was not recruited by Meyer and not a fit for the offense he wanted to run. It's a good thing as it relates to the NFL. If he lit it up in that offense this year it would not tell us anything more about his potential in the NFL. It doesn't mean he wasn't the best QB on the team. He did win the starting job in camp. And he didn't struggle in every game. He had some good games. They refused to call the deep pass - which was egregious. There was a lot wrong with how the offense was called most of the year. It didn't gel until the last two games when they moved the OC to the booth.

The scouts all know this and urban will readily admit it. He will say anything now to get his guys drafted as high as possible; it helps recruiting. He will insist that it is fault that Cardale's growth wasn't apparent on the field.

Edited by YoloinOhio

nothing mysterious about it. He struggled in the up tempo RPO offense that is fit for a quick decision-making, running QB. They had a new OC this year and didn't run it as much in 2014, and didn't run it at all in the playoffs. He was not recruited by Meyer and not a fit for the offense he wanted to run. It's a good thing as it relates to the NFL. If he lit it up in that offense this year it would not tell us anything more about his potential in the NFL. It doesn't mean he wasn't the best QB on the team. He did win the starting job in camp. And he didn't struggle in every game. He had some good games. They refused to call the deep pass - which was egregious. There was a lot wrong with how the offense was called most of the year. It didn't gel until the last two games when they moved the OC to the booth.

The scouts all know this and urban will readily admit it. He will say anything now to get his guys drafted as high as possible; it helps recruiting. He will insist that it is fault that Cardale's growth wasn't apparent on the field.

So where do you see him going? Rd 3? Could he sneak into the second or are teams too scared off by what they saw this season at OSU?

So where do you see him going? Rd 3? Could he sneak into the second or are teams too scared off by what they saw this season at OSU?

i don't think they will be scared off because the circumstances are likely pretty clear to them. I don't think he goes before the 3rd still because I think it is more of an absence of film vs "bad film" as he only played 10.5 games and 6.5 were in the pure urban offense not suited to his strengths. He's too much of an unknown/project and can't see a team taking him in the 2nd unless they have no holes. My wild card is Arizona to "reach" for him because of the time frame Palmer has left, Arians general cajones, and Arians penchant for QB development. Would be a great fit for his offense and personnel, too. He learns under Palmer for a few years, then steps in if he develops. If not, they were already a good enough team to justify the pick and the effort IMO. Edited by YoloinOhio

It isn't about what he is today as an obviously raw prospect with great potential.

Seems as though his "great potential" is based on what he did for a few games over a year ago. He's got great size and a big arm. That seems to be what he's got going for him. I see him as a flash in the pan and I highly question whether he has the mental makeup to be a successful starting QB in the NFL. He's another guy like Logan Thomas who teams will think they can coach up because the physical qualities are all there. I'm not a fan. Perhaps I'd feel better about him if we're talking late in the draft. Otherwise I'll pass.

Who's arguing or even hating for that matter? I don't like him as a prospect. Is that not allowed without being viewed as hating?

Edited by Bangarang

Cardale is the high upside QB who I'd take my chances with. He has all the physical tools and showed that he could handle playing in big games. Cook had the weakest arm, his upside is not nearly what Jones is. Hogan is capped out he could be serviceable with his straight line speed and knowledge for the game. Hackenberg is a total wild card due to what he was surrounded with, if your closing your eyes and hoping to hit on a late round pick take him in the 6th.

Goff is legit but we have no shot at him. I haven't seen enough of Wentz to judge him but I think it would be a mistake to take him ahead of Goff. I'm not sold on a small school guy being better than Goff, the ball comes of his hand and it reminds me of ARod. Paxton Lynch is a guy I'd hate to see in Buffalo, he reminds me of Manual...all the size coaches and scouts fall in love with but lacks instinctive QB skills...such as throwing the football.

Gotta disagree. Cardale was benched his senior year thats a red flag....You know who has a cannon arm, mobile and much better accuracy then Cardale? Vernon Adams Jr mark my words he is a slepper qb who will bless the team that signs him with Russel Wilson-esque play.

VERNON ADAMS IN THE 5TH FTW!!! I REGRET NOTHING!!

Edited by Marty McFly

Cardale is the high upside QB who I'd take my chances with. He has all the physical tools and showed that he could handle playing in big games. Cook had the weakest arm, his upside is not nearly what Jones is. Hogan is capped out he could be serviceable with his straight line speed and knowledge for the game. Hackenberg is a total wild card due to what he was surrounded with, if your closing your eyes and hoping to hit on a late round pick take him in the 6th.

Goff is legit but we have no shot at him. I haven't seen enough of Wentz to judge him but I think it would be a mistake to take him ahead of Goff. I'm not sold on a small school guy being better than Goff, the ball comes of his hand and it reminds me of ARod. Paxton Lynch is a guy I'd hate to see in Buffalo, he reminds me of Manual...all the size coaches and scouts fall in love with but lacks instinctive QB skills...such as throwing the football.

You're measuring upside based on physical ability. Isn't QB the one position where we've seen physical ability matter the least?

You're measuring upside based on physical ability. Isn't QB the one position where we've seen physical ability matter the least?

Yep - Brady, Manning, Brees - not one of them close in physical ability to Jones, yet they are sure HOFers.

Edited by OldTimer1960

Report: Bills taking in Hackenberg pro day

The Penn State pro day is taking place today and the Bills have a pretty healthy contingent of onlookers for Nittany Lions QB Christian Hackenberg.

That according to Draft Insiders’ Tony Pauline.

Early reports on Hackenberg are positive. Bills have a large contingent on hand for the workout https://t.co/K6tzZxfTrH

— Tony Pauline (@TonyPauline) March 17, 2016