WSJ: Management Secrets of the NFL's best franchises

YoloinOhio

Secrets of the NFL

The League's Best Teams Share Front-Office Habits; Your Guide to Owning a Franchise

A few years old but great read

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10000872396390444301704577631663445804308

Over the decades, a handful of NFL teams have managed to thrive under different coaches, quarterbacks and equipment managers. Conversations with owners and executives of these teams suggest that they share a few common traits, all rooted in the front office. So how, exactly, does one go about building a successful NFL team?

Edited by YoloinOhio

If I had an elite qb and a thorough engrained systemic program of cheating I could be a great GM too.

But that was an interesting read.

Lol..

The elite QB part is definitely true...look at how Brady has covered up for so many injuries in New England this year and how Manning covered up for horrible drafts and free agent acquisitions for so many years in Indianapolis...when Manning went down, Indy became the worst team in the NFL, and the talent level on the roster definitely was on par with that designation.

Lol..

The elite QB part is definitely true...look at how Brady has covered up for so many injuries in New England this year and how Manning covered up for horrible drafts and free agent acquisitions for so many years in Indianapolis...when Manning went down, Indy became the worst team in the NFL, and the talent level on the roster definitely was on par with that designation.

Yeah, the way Manning covered up for the horrible picks/pickups of Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, E. James, Addai, Freeney, Bob Sanders, Robert Mathis, Bethea, Dallas Clark, Vinatieri.....and STILL was able to lead his team to a 9-10 playoff record and 7 playoff "one and dones" out of 11 playoff appearances is simply remarkable.

Edited by Mr. WEO

If you take away the teams that had elite QBs and see what teams have thrived most years under multiple coaches, you really only get a few:

Baltimore

Pittsburgh

Giants

Obviously other teams have been good, but not under multiple coaches and without truly elite QBs. You could argue if you wanted to that the Giants and Steelers don't belong on the list above because of Eli and Ben. Personally, I think too much protection/marketing runs the the QB and the league has grabbed on to its darling money trains over the past 15-20 years and modified the game to accommodate that.

In baseball the teams that have consistently succeeded over time have done it with money....with one exception.....the greatest team in sports the St. Louis Cardinals. I have to say I like the current trend which seems to be smaller teams like Houston, Pittsburgh, and of course KC figuring out how to make it work without a Dodgers budget. I wish football wouldn't skew to the money so much and would just let them play.

Yeah, the way Manning covered up for the horrible picks/pickups of Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, E. James, Addai, Freeney, Bob Sanders, Robert Mathis, Bethea, Dallas Clark, Vinatieri.....and STILL was able to lead his team to a 9-10 playoff record and 7 playoff "one and dones" out of 11 playoff appearances is simply remarkable.

I'm talking about the later years where they had bad draft after bad draft. Instead of taking some snipes, why don't you go look it up so you actually have an idea of what you are talking about.

I'm talking about the later years where they had bad draft after bad draft. Instead of taking some snipes, why don't you go look it up so you actually have an idea of what you are talking about.

The year before they let him go, the Colts were in the SB and Manning was still suffering with Addai (800+ yds and 10 TDs), Dallas Clark (110 yds and 10 TDs), Reggie Wayne (1264 yds and 10 TDs), Collie and Garcon (combined over 1400 yds and 11 TDs), Bethea, Sessions, Mathis (9.5 sacks), Freeney (13.5 sacks), and a defense that allowed the 8th fewest points.

The year before they let him go, the Colts were in the SB and Manning was still suffering with Addai (800+ yds and 10 TDs), Dallas Clark (110 yds and 10 TDs), Reggie Wayne (1264 yds and 10 TDs), Collie and Garcon (combined over 1400 yds and 11 TDs), Bethea, Sessions, Mathis (9.5 sacks), Freeney (13.5 sacks), and a defense that allowed the 8th fewest points.

Read and learn

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1007781-jim-irsay-fired-bill-chris-polian-for-bad-decade-of-drafting

Edited by matter2003

If you take away the teams that had elite QBs and see what teams have thrived most years under multiple coaches, you really only get a few:

Baltimore

Pittsburgh

Giants

Obviously other teams have been good, but not under multiple coaches and without truly elite QBs. You could argue if you wanted to that the Giants and Steelers don't belong on the list above because of Eli and Ben. Personally, I think too much protection/marketing runs the the QB and the league has grabbed on to its darling money trains over the past 15-20 years and modified the game to accommodate that.

In baseball the teams that have consistently succeeded over time have done it with money....with one exception.....the greatest team in sports the St. Louis Cardinals. I have to say I like the current trend which seems to be smaller teams like Houston, Pittsburgh, and of course KC figuring out how to make it work without a Dodgers budget. I wish football wouldn't skew to the money so much and would just let them play.

I wouldn't even put Pittsburgh on that list, cause they've hit consistently with coaches. I mean, they've had three coaches since the Vietnam War. We've had a half dozen since we went onto Afghanistan. Edited by sodbuster

Wow, Jim Irsay!

Anyway, the claim that Manning "covered" for poorly drafted players and FAs is so obviously incorrect that it really shouldn't need to be pointed out more than once, let alone three times in one thread.

Wow, Jim Irsay!

Anyway, the claim that Manning "covered" for poorly drafted players and FAs is so obviously incorrect that it really shouldn't need to be pointed out more than once, let alone three times in one thread.

Right...because virtually no starters from the last 5 draft classes is a great job...

Right...because virtually no starters from the last 5 draft classes is a great job...

How did that hurt Manning...at all? You haven't yet backed up your statement. He played with a pretty loaded roster nearly his entire career there--including the year before he was released.

In the 5 years before that, they drafted Bethea (pro Bowl), Addai (pro bowl), Pat Mcafee (pro bowl), Jacob Tamme, Clint Session, Garcon, Collie, Donald Brown--all starters.

Edited by Mr. WEO

How did that hurt Manning...at all? You haven't yet backed up your statement. He played with a pretty loaded roster nearly his entire career there--including the year before he was released.

In the 5 years before that, they drafted Bethea (pro Bowl), Addai (pro bowl), Pat Mcafee (pro bowl), Jacob Tamme, Clint Session, Garcon, Collie, Donald Brown--all starters.

So taking 5 years off from finding starters is just dandy?

I wouldn't even put Pittsburgh on that list, cause they've hit consistently with coaches. I mean, they've had three coaches since the Vietnam War. We've had a half dozen since we went onto Afghanistan.

Damn good point!

Baltimore

Pittsburgh

Giants

I don't understand your comment. The above listed teams have franchise QB's, continuity of coaching and mgmt, and playoff caliber defenses.