The Bills freeagents, cap casualties, etc.. Who do we bring

USABuffaloFan

The projected Cap space next year will be $154-158 million. The Bills sit around $149 million last checked. I think they have around $10-15 mil of unused space they can carry over. Most of the raises next year eat that space up with existing players on roster.

Big losses in Gilmore, Glenn and Bradham are potentially going to take place. All of them would come at around $10-12mil/yr to franchise tag. The only one really worth keeping for that money is Glenn, we have no replacement and are thin at tackle. We could survive without Gilmore and Bradham. I would like Gilmore resigned if slightly cap friendly next 1-2 years meaning allot of guaranteed upfront money.

There are a few players that could create cap space; Mario Williams 11.5 salary and 4-5mil/yr in cash incentives are on the table. We would eat some prorated guaranteed money over next two years if released in June. They should try a trade but release if necessary. If we truly are a 3-4 offense then I would also part ways with Kyle Williams because you save 3-4 mil in cap space next and 6-7 the following year of a redone contract.

McKelvin had signed a 4 mil/yr contract that has 2 yrs left, just can't see the Bills keeping this. Bills get back 6 mil used for Harvin. Also have to look at saving by releasing Aaron Williams, not his fault but there is a danger keeping him on the team safely wise, neck injuries the worse.

All that said, this should allow Bills to have 20-25 mil to sign their own freeagents and some mid level guys. Signing our own is easier because they would help most likely with salary restraints next two years paying Darieus, Clay and McCoy's front loaded contracts.

We need Glenn, 5-6 yrs at 75 mil with $50mil guaranteed should allow low cap money this year in range of 5-7mil. Need legitimate RT and Incognito signed 2-4yrs with guaranteed money should get this done . That will cost around another 6-7 mil in cap money next year. The only way to sign Gilmore is if his market went down being hurt or he gives the Bills a break. We have to draft smart and sign all restricted freeagents on this team.

I for one would see if there is a market to trade Clay, we paid 16mil for him this year so his future money could be a bargain for some team desperate for a TE. I think we fared well with our TE's and O'Leary looks like the real thing.

Only other huge need is backup QB but there are some options that should be cheap, I am sure Cassell will be available and I expect at least 3-4 other decent choices also. Definitely would draft one 3-4th round.

Edited by USABuffaloFan

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills will re-sign Glenn, Incognito and extend Gilmore (which should bring his cap hit down for 2016). Bradham I think they would like to keep but I see him going. Mario, EJ and McKelvin will be cut and Harvin's option will not be taken up. Clay will restructure. They structured that deal to stop Miami matching in 2016 I think there was a gentleman's agreement to revisit the large 2016 hit this offseason and spread the money out. I also expect that there are a few RFA's they will want to keep. Corbin Bryant is certainly one, Ty Powell should sign another tender given his injury and you may see Hogan sign another tender too (depending on what he thinks he would fetch on the open market). Finally I think the punter's contract is up so they will need to sign him.

There will be very little left for FAs from other teams but expect them to look for veteran linebacker and safety in the second wave of free agency. Not splash names but solid contributors.

The Bills will re-sign Glenn, Incognito and extend Gilmore (which should bring his cap hit down for 2016). Bradham I think they would like to keep but I see him going. Mario, EJ and McKelvin will be cut and Harvin's option will not be taken up. Clay will restructure. They structured that deal to stop Miami matching in 2016 I think there was a gentleman's agreement to revisit the large 2016 hit this offseason and spread the money out. I also expect that there are a few RFA's they will want to keep. Corbin Bryant is certainly one, Ty Powell should sign another tender given his injury and you may see Hogan sign another tender too (depending on what he thinks he would fetch on the open market). Finally I think the punter's contract is up so they will need to sign him.

There will be very little left for FAs from other teams but expect them to look for veteran linebacker and safety in the second wave of free agency. Not splash names but solid contributors.

Kind of of the Steelers do things. Re-sign your good players. Draft good, and pick up some Vets here and there.

The projected Cap space next year will be $154-158 million. The Bills sit around $149 million last checked. I think they have around $10-15 mil of unused space they can carry over. Most of the raises next year eat that space up with existing players on roster.

Big losses in Gilmore, Glenn and Bradham are potentially going to take place. All of them would come at around $10-12mil/yr to franchise tag. The only one really worth keeping for that money is Glenn, we have no replacement and are thin at tackle. We could survive without Gilmore and Bradham. I would like Gilmore resigned if slightly cap friendly next 1-2 years meaning allot of guaranteed upfront money.

There are a few players that could create cap space; Mario Williams 11.5 salary and 4-5mil/yr in cash incentives are on the table. We would eat some prorated guaranteed money over next two years if released in June. They should try a trade but release if necessary. If we truly are a 3-4 offense then I would also part ways with Kyle Williams because you save 3-4 mil in cap space next and 6-7 the following year of a redone contract.

McKelvin had signed a 4 mil/yr contract that has 2 yrs left, just can't see the Bills keeping this. Bills get back 6 mil used for Harvin. Also have to look at saving by releasing Aaron Williams, not his fault but there is a danger keeping him on the team safely wise, neck injuries the worse.

All that said, this should allow Bills to have 20-25 mil to sign their own freeagents and some mid level guys. Signing our own is easier because they would help most likely with salary restraints next two years paying Darieus, Clay and McCoy's front loaded contracts.

We need Glenn, 5-6 yrs at 75 mil with $50mil guaranteed should allow low cap money this year in range of 5-7mil. Need legitimate RT and Incognito signed 2-4yrs with guaranteed money should get this done . That will cost around another 6-7 mil in cap money next year. The only way to sign Gilmore is if his market went down being hurt or he gives the Bills a break. We have to draft smart and sign all restricted freeagents on this team.

I for one would see if there is a market to trade Clay, we paid 16mil for him this year so his future money could be a bargain for some team desperate for a TE. I think we fared well with our TE's and O'Leary looks like the real thing.

Only other huge need is backup QB but there are some options that should be cheap, I am sure Cassell will be available and I expect at least 3-4 other decent choices also. Definitely would draft one 3-4th round.

really?

I'm not looking up what LT's are paid but $15m/year for Glenn??? That sounds WAY high. He's not a star, more like middle of the pack

That is too much. The top left tackle contracts signed in the past 3 or 4 years Trent Williams, Tyron Smith etc are $12-13m a year. For me that is more than Glenn will get but I do think he is a top 10-12 left tackle and if you excuse his 2014 effort (and I think we all can now we know what the kid played through) he should get paid well based on production. I think somewhere around $11m a year.

He had a 37 yard reception down the right sideline in the Skins game. Tightrope walked down the sideline and play was reviewed and upheld that he didn't go OB.

That is right he did. Thanks for reminding me. He did go OB as well how that was upheld I have no idea. I'm not getting on O'Leary... I wanted us to pick him and I still have hope for him developing but to say he looks the real deal is a little premature.

Who's available in free agency that can be next year's T.O.? Face it- with this season being a disappointment, and Rex and Russ needing to grease the hype-machine back into full vigour, there has to be an appealing option out there that will attract attention (and sell tickets). I think they'll look at bringing in Peyton Manning (when he's let go), or attempting a trade for Drew Brees. Wilkerson, Bruce Irving, Von Miller or Alshon Jeffrey could be in play as well. Reaquiring Kiko ALonso or signing RGIII could also be options. Wildcard options could be Michael Sam or bringing Luke Tasker in from the CFL (to stir the hearts of the fans). Don't rule out a Randy Moss tryout, or Tim Tebow either.

Who's available in free agency that can be next year's T.O.? Face it- with this season being a disappointment, and Rex and Russ needing to grease the hype-machine back into full vigour, there has to be an appealing option out there that will attract attention (and sell tickets). I think they'll look at bringing in Peyton Manning (when he's let go), or attempting a trade for Drew Brees. Wilkerson, Bruce Irving, Von Miller or Alshon Jeffrey could be in play as well. Reaquiring Kiko ALonso or signing RGIII could also be options. Wildcard options could be Michael Sam or bringing Luke Tasker in from the CFL (to stir the hearts of the fans). Don't rule out a Randy Moss tryout, or Tim Tebow either.

This is obvious sarcasm...........right?

O'leary looks like the real thing? How did you come to that realization? When he fell down? He has 1 catch this season. Gilmore isn't a free agent.

Incognito and Glenn need to be locked up. Bradham and woods are as good as gone. We need a good MLB, RT and as far as I'm concerned, a RG. Miller hasn't been good. Graham started out playing a solid safety but he tailed off mid season. I'd love to retain Rambo but I don't think it's likely unless we get rid of AW (I like aw, but the neck injury is scary and would be ok with moving on)

Alston Jeffrey would be a HUGE acquisition

Jeffrey is gonna want HUGE money.....but I would love to have him here

i think the Bills need to focus on WR in the draft. No FA WR worth much will want to come to this offense unless the money is outlandish. I don't think they are going to throw money at a WR with the other FA needs. I think they would have an easier time attracting defensive FAs who fit the system and actually want to play in Rex's scheme. OL in FA might work too. But would be tough sledding to get a good WR in FA unless there was something really wrong with him. WRs are always worried about stats and will go to a team where they will get the ball the most. Edited by YoloinOhio