The Bills freeagents, cap casualties, etc.. Who do we bring

USABuffaloFan

For those of you willing to cut Kyle, if he is healthy, you'd be out casting the only remaining level headed leader on this team. Not to mention losing a tremendous player, injury prone or not. I know he is getting old, but I think you lose more than a DT by releasing Kyle and opening yet ANOTHER hole to fill

Bills have stated they are not cutting Kyle so he can't be used in any theoretical ways to clean up the cap unless they restructure which I doubt would happen. A restructure wouldn't do much anyways.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on board with all of the cuts and keeps from the current roster except I probably keep EJ until camp at least.

As for free agents:

I really like Rolando McClain.........I think he is the perfect fit for Rex D.

Physically he is a big, rangy beast.......but what makes him so good is top football intelligence.

He's got his issues but he could be the superstar in Rex defense.

I'd like Eric Weddle a lot too if his market is as soft as his recent production indicates it should be.......the Bills need a physical, heady vet back there.

They need a NT and Harrison would be nice if he is cheap.......but if it's a 4-6 year deal I'd rather get someone else shorter term.

Not sure what the market for Haloti Ngata would be but he can play all three spots in Rex D.

At OLB I actually would prefer Calvin Pace opposite Hughes until the Bills find a rangy young option to fill that spot.

Rex D Jets D worked in his first two seasons when the front 7 and safeties were veteran players and I like the idea of short term fixes up there while we see how his tenure plays out.

Not a big fan of Upshaw......he's tough but I'd like to see tall rangy types at that spot and a 3 man DL that averages around 340-350 pounds.

WR is the number one position on the team to improve, IMO. I'd let the D slide to get Alshon Jeffery but the Bears would be crazy not to retain him.

I like Sanu......he's probably a favorite of many NFL fans because he's been under-utilized in Cinci. He's pretty big and he's versatile so I bet Roman would like him too.

But I'd rather get Josh Gordon and let him play out the last year of his deal......Rex likes reclamation projects......but I know he's high risk and I doubt Cleveland gives up on a certain top 5 WR talent after enduring his issues this long.

In the draft......I always pick a QB first.......but realizing they almost certainly will not I want non-scheme specific players at big $ positions early.

If the right WR....or LT who can play RT.......or shut down cornerback........is there I like those in round 1.

I'd also like to come out of the first 4 rounds with a big pass receiving TE to give Tyrod another short pass option.

I think this draft is very deep in 3-4 front 7 types and they should be able to get depth there in rounds 4-7.

I agree with most of that. You caught my exact thought process on Sanu--he's a Roman guy.

I went Upshaw over Pace for youth, and I'm stuck on the idea that my edge guys should be better pass rushers.

Outside of Goff, who I don't think we'll be trading up for, Doughty's actually one of the two guys I like enough to draft and develop (Wentz is the other).

Now that the GM and HC have a new, albeit short term lease on their jobs, I expect they'll learn to work together.

That said, they've got a huge job this off-season to not just fix their personnel deficiencies but anticipate where they may get worse. For too many years OBD worked on known issues without anticipating future challenges.

Gotta agree with BADOL that there are some affordable defensive types who can be had.

I think Benjamin is Cleveland's #1. He and Manziel showed some chemistry. I don't think he leaves there.

As for Clay.......I wish I could agree but the guy looked pretty beat up this year. He is savvy, with excellent hands but I am afraid he is earth bound at this point. He can still run quickly but he has that tell-tale flat footed gait that says "my lower back and knees are shot". Several times this year his knee just gave out on him when he had the football. I don't know if the reports are true about his knees being sans cartilage but it wouldn't surprise me.

Yeah, Rex teased Mike Tannenbaum about planting rumors about his knee, but from the looks of it Tannenbaum may have been telling the truth (assuming it was actually him).

My plan...

Out:

Mario (cut)

Kyle (cut)

Bradham (FA)

Lawson (cut)

Aaron Williams (retired)

EJ (cut)

Dixon (cut)

Pay cut:

McKelvin

Urbik

Re-sign:

Glenn

Incognito

Gilislee

Extend:

Gillmore

UFAs:

Mohamed Sanu

Vincent Rey

Courtney Upshaw

Damon Harrison

Matt Hasselbeck

Draft:

Jack Conklin

AJ Stamps

Brandon Doughty

I think they keep Lawson, who has been playing decently and has that Pace-like build (tall, long arms) that Rex likes. Plus he's a smart guy on a defense filled with dunces. They need some continuity in order for the scheme to work, and Lawson checks a lot of the boxes. He's not a bad player.

For too many years OBD worked on known issues without anticipating future challenges.

Self scouting has been a big weakness.

If they can get a very good big veteran #2 WR.....and another legit receiving TE prospect in the draft.....that would be worth much more than trying to patch 8-9 positions with average players.

The long struggling Bills OL has been helped GREATLY by the scheme and QB type this year..........the key to improving their play is more about keeping the trajectory going on Taylor.

And keeping the trajectory going on Taylor is about giving him some big targets to encourage him to throw with anticipation in between the hashes.......a very clear weakness that DC's can focus on.

Yeah, Rex teased Mike Tannenbaum about planting rumors about his knee, but from the looks of it Tannenbaum may have been telling the truth (assuming it was actually him).

I think they keep Lawson, who has been playing decently and has that Pace-like build (tall, long arms) that Rex likes. Plus he's a smart guy on a defense filled with dunces. They need some continuity in order for the scheme to work, and Lawson checks a lot of the boxes. He's not a bad player.

On the surface, I agree about Lawson. I happen to think he's not good enough to play the Sam full time in a 3-4; at least not without the speed he had earlier in his career.

My biggest reason for letting him go is to bring in a FA that can play the Sam for 70-80% of the snaps. Lawson can provide some cap relief that they can use to upgrade that position.

The point isn't lost on me, however, that they'll still need a solid backup to Hughes and the starter opposite him.

Pace is a far better pass rusher than Lawson......in Rex last two seasons with the Jets Pace had 15 sacks, including 10 in 2013.................but he is also much older.

I think both end up being VERY cheap because there may not be another team in the NFL where they can even get a job next season.

So they could easily have both and rotate them opposite Hughes.

But they do need a young player of that type to develop and play ST.......and this draft is DEEP with such prospects.

Dean has Shilique Calhoun of Michigan State projected to the Bills in round 1 on Draftek..........but I don't want to see young players making mistakes on D next year........and I don't think Rex can afford that either.........and I also don't see Calhoun as an elite pass rushing DE in a 4-3 scheme so he is much too scheme specific to draft that high, IMO.....especially considering that Rex could easily get canned next offseason.

Bronson Kaufusi of BYU is a guy that draftek has very lowly rated(5th round?).......I have no idea what NFL teams think of him......but he is a big, rangy, athletic guy and his father is the DL coach at BYU so he might be ahead of the learning curve a bit.

I've not read the whole thread so I apologise if this name has popped up before.

In terms of guys to bring in, I'm intrigued by Broncos LB Danny Trevathan. Experience playing in Wade Phillips 3-4 scheme and Denver have got quite a few guys to pay as well as a huge QB decision to make. If he's the odd man out, I would like to bring him in. Good against the run, sheds blocks, has coverage ability. Total package and he's only turning 26 in March.

On the surface, I agree about Lawson. I happen to think he's not good enough to play the Sam full time in a 3-4; at least not without the speed he had earlier in his career.

My biggest reason for letting him go is to bring in a FA that can play the Sam for 70-80% of the snaps. Lawson can provide some cap relief that they can use to upgrade that position.

The point isn't lost on me, however, that they'll still need a solid backup to Hughes and the starter opposite him.

The problem with Upshaw is that he can't rush the passer when you need it.

That was the knock coming out of Alabama as well.

If he could play the inside at 275# his potential impact in the NFL would be much greater. And perhaps he can.

His free agent value will be interesting.