The Bills freeagents, cap casualties, etc.. Who do we bring

USABuffaloFan

My uninformed take:

If we're tight on cap it makes no sense to release EJ, he's about as good as any other back up out there, and he's guaranteed I think

Mario I could see being gone, unless he renegotiates. Which probably means we need to draft a stud DE.

I doubt Kyle renegotiates, he's already not being paid that much* for his skill level, even though he's older. (yes I know this is debatable)

Gilmore is signed in 2016, I think.

We need to retain Glenn and Incognito, imo.

Not really sold on Bradham in Rex's system, but if he's cheaper than a potential replacement, we might retain.

McKelvin is good depth, but expensive. I'd attempt to extend/renegotiate at a cheaper price, if not, cut.

Aaron Williams would be a big cap hit if cut, so he sticks around unless he retires.

We'll end up with some money to play with, but we're definitely not going to be big players this year, unless a trade frees up a lot of money. We were 'all in' for this season, and it fell on it's face. It'll be a few more years before we have space to make the moves necessary to be a contender, or until we get new coaches.

EJ. has $1.4M guaranteed, but the team has offsets. That means if he's waived then whatever another team pays him gets deducted from that. Keep him into TC and see what he does. Or trade him if someone comes calling. I wouldn't rush him off the team, but his name would be written lightly in pencil because not much good can come from him remaining in Buffalo.

Agree with Mario. Probably have to part ways. A trade would be best.

Agree on Kyle. Not sure why some are rushing to part ways with him or why they think renegotiation is a good solution. Much like with Mario, he's likely to play under his deal or not at all. Unlike Mario I don't see him going anywhere this offseason.

Gilmore is heading into his option year. Perfect time to lock him up - and save a little cap room for 2016.

Agree on Glenn and Incognito. Both should be huge priorities right now, but I worry we will miss the boat on Glenn. Less worried about Incognito, but still concerned.

Agree with the rest, except Aaron Williams would only be a $1.2M hit if cut/traded/retired. That could be done (or designated) post 6/15 to push most of that out to 2017 though.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

really?

He has only played a couple games, he caught 1 pass for 37 yards. He was missed by Tyrod wide open on 2 other throws. He has become a good blocker on runs and with Gragg we would be OK. Never said I didn't like Clay but would your rather have him costing $10-15mil/yr or a couple other players?

I'm not looking up what LT's are paid but $15m/year for Glenn??? That sounds WAY high. He's not a star, more like middle of the pack

Levitre got $10mil/yr to go to Tennessee as LG. Where do you get your next LT on this team? That would mean a huge signing from another team or 1st pick on a LT in rounds 14-16. Bills have no choice and I do believe he would be worth easily 6yrs at 75mil for 12.5mil/yr. It will cost more on the freeagent market and not likely as young a player.

O'leary looks like the real thing? How did you come to that realization? When he fell down? He has 1 catch this season. Gilmore isn't a free agent.

Incognito and Glenn need to be locked up. Bradham and woods are as good as gone. We need a good MLB, RT and as far as I'm concerned, a RG. Miller hasn't been good. Graham started out playing a solid safety but he tailed off mid season. I'd love to retain Rambo but I don't think it's likely unless we get rid of AW (I like aw, but the neck injury is scary and would be ok with moving on)

First off obviously he hasn't played enough of a NFL career to make that statement. He was however the real deal at college with the Mackey Award as the nations top TE and also is Jack Nicklaus grand son. From what I have seen of him briefly, he looks like he will be sticking with the roster now. Your getting upset with that statement? Hell I know I said 3-4 other things that probably should have been picked!

Not sure where you're getting the cap info, but you're way off. Everything I've seen about cap space has been in the $150M-$153M range. Example:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/05/nfl-salary-cap-will-rise-above-150-million-in-2016/

The Bills currently have $5.3M in cap space for this year that they can carry over.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

They sit at $154M in cap expenditure for next season. The figures assume Harvin is gone but they'll add the carryover and another $7.5M in space from the inevitable Clay roster bonus restructure. 50 players will be under contract. They'll need to make moves to free up some space though.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-analysis-all-22/2015/3/19/8254541/buffalo-bills-2016-salary-cap-space-projection

153mil cap with 5-6 average carry over puts the potential Bills payroll at 154-158 mil

This would be the most stupid decision. Clay was a big part of this offense before he got injured and Roman forgot that he was on the team. Clay is a good player and we saw a big decline in production from that position once Clay was gone. Leary has played one game. Let us not coronate him yet.

So paying a TE for 53 catches for 16mil this years and 13 mil next isn't a stupid idea. McCoy rarely got screen passes, WR rarely targeted in games. You have 20-25 passes a game right now. This doesn't warrant spending 13mil/yr on a TE when you need to sign your LT, find a RT, sign your LG, sign a #2 WR, sign at least 2 LB's and sign a #2 QB. If Clay could be restructured fine but as his contract stands now, when we signed him Cassell was going to be the starting QB!

He has only played a couple games, he caught 1 pass for 37 yards. He was missed by Tyrod wide open on 2 other throws. He has become a good blocker on runs and with Gragg we would be OK. Never said I didn't like Clay but would your rather have him costing $10-15mil/yr or a couple other players?

Levitre got $10mil/yr to go to Tennessee as LG. Where do you get your next LT on this team? That would mean a huge signing from another team or 1st pick on a LT in rounds 14-16. Bills have no choice and I do believe he would be worth easily 6yrs at 75mil for 12.5mil/yr. It will cost more on the freeagent market and not likely as young a player.

Levitre got 7.8 mil per year in tenn. Trent williams and a few other guys get between 12-13.5 mil per and glenn isn't that good. I'd say 10-11 per but maybe 6 years 60 mil with 40 guaranteed gets it done. 10 average but that guaranteed money is higher as usually it's around half the deal. Could do a huge 25 mil bonus or something too.

You get an additional year team option with first round picks. The Bills have taken their option on Gilmore so he is under contract - though at a significant price ($11m) for 2016. It is in our interests to renegotiate to reduce that cap hit next year.

Sorry, I missed that too. At the beginning of the year everybody was writing he was gone, that supposedly was why we drafted Darby so high. http://overthecap.com/player/stephon-gilmore/255/

If he were actually available Alshon Jeffery would be my #1 target.........even over any of our own players.

But he will almost certainly be franchised if not signed before FA.

The Bears were looking to tear it down in early October and Jeffery was rumored to be available in trade.............but then they started to play better.

And their first round pick......Kevin White........had a completely lost season so they would really be hanging themselves out in the wind being stuck with Cutler and nobody for him to throw to.

Josh Gordon is the guy I am intrigued by. He's an all or nothing type......a mirror of Watkins explosiveness, if not better........but a guy on a short leash with a lot of baggage.

I think Cleveland would be nuts to trade his rights after waiting out his suspension, but I think it's actually more likely he is available than Alshon.

And stranger things have happened.......like the Bills enduring thru Marshawn Lynch's many issues for a couple seasons....... and then drafting a RB at the top of round 1 and trading him away for nothing.

Josh Gordon is a good risk.

First off obviously he hasn't played enough of a NFL career to make that statement. He was however the real deal at college with the Mackey Award as the nations top TE and also is Jack Nicklaus grand son. From what I have seen of him briefly, he looks like he will be sticking with the roster now. Your getting upset with that statement? Hell I know I said 3-4 other things that probably should have been picked!

He's pretty small. I don't have high hopes for him, but I of course hope I'm wrong.

I'm curious to know why you think that Gilmore (who is under contract in any case) isn't someone the team should focus on retaining. Good CBs are absolutely necessary in the NFL, and in the last couple of games his absence has been a real problem. I think he's more important than Glenn largely because I think he's a better player at an equally important position. The Bills have no one behind Gilmore either - Leodis is no good and the rest of the CBs are marginal players. I do think they should keep Glenn, not because he is great but because I'm not sure anyone equal to him will be available. I do worry about him losing his edge once he gets the big contract.

Edited by dave mcbride

Levitre got 7.8 mil per year in tenn. Trent williams and a few other guys get between 12-13.5 mil per and glenn isn't that good. I'd say 10-11 per but maybe 6 years 60 mil with 40 guaranteed gets it done. 10 average but that guaranteed money is higher as usually it's around half the deal. Could do a huge 25 mil bonus or something too.

OK, I was wrong about how much but the point being a LG got $8mil/yr, LT worth 2x that usually. People say Glenn is average, he has been the best LT Bills have had since Fina! If we can get a LT somewhere else with better credentials than fine but I guarantee someone will pay the 12mil/yr it will take to get for a 26 yr old LT.

OK, I was wrong about how much but the point being a LG got $8mil/yr, LT worth 2x that usually. People say Glenn is average, he has been the best LT Bills have had since Fina! If we can get a LT somewhere else with better credentials than fine but I guarantee someone will pay the 12mil/yr it will take to get for a 26 yr old LT.

2 times that is 16 mil per year when the best left tackle in the league is getting 13.5. You're just high on your numbers. Glenn is not getting more than the best tackle in the league.

He's pretty small. I don't have high hopes for him, but I of course hope I'm wrong.

I'm curious to know why you think that Gilmore (who is under contract in any case) isn't someone the team should focus on retaining. Good CBs are absolutely necessary in the NFL, and in the last couple of games his absence has been a real problem. I think he's more important than Glenn largely because I think he's a better player at an equally important position. The Bills have no one behind Gilmore either - Leodis is no good and the rest of the CBs are marginal players. I do think they should keep Glenn, not because he is great but because I'm not sure anyone equal to him will be available. I do worry about him losing his edge once he gets the big contract.

84 O'Leary, Nick TE 6-3 252 23 R Florida State. That is not small?

I never said I didn't want him and I was under the impression like Glenn he had a 4yr contract. I guess there is a option for $11mil in 2016 which the Bills can't pickup yet till after the season. What my original post was about is how do we keep all these free agents with very expensive players on our team now. Sacrifices have to be made. Allot of people are assuming players automatically renegotiate. Would you do it knowing you could make more money later on another team especially how the Bills failed to live up to expectations?

Edited by USABuffaloFan

It's not the end of the world that the Bills don't have much money to spend. I'm looking forward to us looking for value guys. I've been watching football for a very long time and correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like when u pay these guys or bring in big name free agents for big bucks they hardly ever live up to there end of the deal. So with that being said let's find the diamonds in the bargain bin. We need some hungry players that want to eventually get paid. Ala Taylor, Gilislee, etc etc

here's $42 mil in cap savings:

CUT: EJ ($0), mario($13), McKelvin($4), Graham ($2.7), Lawson ($2.7), Carpenter ($1.7), Gay ($0.6) , Urbik ($1.8), Robey($1.0), Woods ($1.0), Dixon ($1.0), Goodwin ($0.7), Duke Williams ($0.7), gragg ($0.7). RESTRUCTURE : Gilmore ($3.0), Clay ($5.0), Kyle ($2.0). INJURY SETTLEMENT A. Williams ($0)

sign glenn ($10), incognito ($7), Bryant ($3), Gilislee ($2), Rambo ($2)

Edited by papazoid

CUT: EJ ($0), mario($13), McKelvin($4), Graham ($2.7), Lawson ($2.7), Carpenter ($1.7), Gay ($0.6) , Urbik ($1.8), Robey($1.0), Woods ($1.0), Dixon ($1.0), Goodwin ($0.7), Duke Williams ($0.7), gragg ($0.7). RESTRUCTURE : Gilmore ($3.0), Clay ($5.0), Kyle ($2.0). INJIRY SETTLEMENT A. Williams ($0)

keep graham lawson urbik and robey

You are not getting him at $8million a year. No way. His market value is higher than that. The Bills might end up being grateful for his down year in 2014 and for the news of his kidney removal leaking out - presume the Bills leaked it - because that will hold his value down under the $12m that top third of the league left tackles are now looking for. I still think somewhere between $10-11m a year is where Glenn ends up. If he ends up cheaper than that the Bills have done a nice job.

Yeah to this. What's great about FA is you don't need to be the best LT in football, just the best FA LT. Wich is why you pay more than the player's worth. $10-11 is OK

Edited by MarkyMannn

Who's available in free agency that can be next year's T.O.? Face it- with this season being a disappointment, and Rex and Russ needing to grease the hype-machine back into full vigour, there has to be an appealing option out there that will attract attention (and sell tickets). I think they'll look at bringing in Peyton Manning (when he's let go), or attempting a trade for Drew Brees. Wilkerson, Bruce Irving, Von Miller or Alshon Jeffrey could be in play as well. Reaquiring Kiko ALonso or signing RGIII could also be options. Wildcard options could be Michael Sam or bringing Luke Tasker in from the CFL (to stir the hearts of the fans). Don't rule out a Randy Moss tryout, or Tim Tebow either.

I can picture it now... Tim Tebow throwing a 60 yard TD to Randy Moss... :doh:

Yeah to this. What's great about FA is you don't need to be the best LT in football, just the best FA LT. Wich is why you pay more than the player's worth. $10-11 is OK

let some other team have him then. He'll be cut in 2yrs and we can bring him by for veterans minimum. I'm tired of middle pack players getting paid and not performing. Cordy ain't worth a single dollar over 9mil per season and that's at the highest. Bills need to keep doing what they've been doing recently with there free agents draw your line in the sand and stand by it Whaley

CUT: EJ ($0), mario($13), McKelvin($4), Graham ($2.7), Lawson ($2.7), Carpenter ($1.7), Gay ($0.6) , Urbik ($1.8), Robey($1.0), Woods ($1.0), Dixon ($1.0), Goodwin ($0.7), Duke Williams ($0.7), gragg ($0.7). RESTRUCTURE : Gilmore ($3.0), Clay ($5.0), Kyle ($2.0). INJURY SETTLEMENT A. Williams ($0)

You're dropping 15 players, most of whom are starters or important backups (nickel CB, 3rd WR, back up QB etc.). The Bills are also going to part ways with Harvin, another starter. How are you going to fill all of those holes in one offseason, much less think the team will improve?