The Bills freeagents, cap casualties, etc.. Who do we bring

USABuffaloFan

So I know our weak spot is the defensive front 7, and Rex is having personnel issues. It just so happens that Muhammed Wilkerson, Damon Harrison, Demario Davis, and Calvin Pace are all FAs this year. I suspect at a minimum we make a run at Demario Davis, and maybe Wilkerson if Mario gets shown the door.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has been below average in pass protection and above average in run blocking. He has been an average NFL guard in his rookie year. Give the kid a break.

Miller has been one of the worst-rated guards in the entire league. He's a turnstile in the tradition of all the putrid left guards we've seen the last three years. Line play goes up noticeably when Urbik goes in. This franchise just doesn't get it about the O-line. We haven't seen an excellent or even good one since the Super Bowl years. Always it's other priorities. Glenn, Incognito and Wood are very good; the rest (with the exception of the adequate Urbik) should not be playing in this league. Guard and right tackle have to be the top priorities. With a line strong from left to right, we'll see results. Miller should be demoted to the practice squad.

No way we pay Cordy that much 11-13 mil per season. He's not top 12 either more like 18-20 range. He's a solid middle of the pack guy. For 12mil I'm letting him walk and I hope the Bills have enough sense to do this. In my opinion I think he should get a Veldeer type deal which is good money 5yrs-40-45 tops 8-9per. If not have a nice day. It's a good yr for tackles in the Draft I rather go that route

I agree that we won't pay him 11-12 mill a year. Probable me is, I think someone else does or at least gives him 10mill a year. He's been relatively injury free and very dependable. The premium will be paid on him due to his reliability and age. I can't see us retaining him for less than 10 a year unless he really wants to stay here.

We will see a much different team in 2016 & here of a lot of renegotiations head lining the Bills offseason news .

I think Kyle Williams contract will be redone because of age & injuries, Arron Williams i think could be all but done in football period, Leodis will also have to rework his deal, Mario is a given to be used as trade bait with what he has been saying about Rex defensive scheme .

EJ will be another casualty due to his play not his contract but seeing as his contract is fully guaranteed (if i remember correctly) no $ savings there I don't think Richie I will be back either, given Clays out put this year he could be asked to give some $ back or should be asked .

M. Goodwin i believe will be gone due to his injury history, he could be a good player to use as trade bait ! Not sure about Bradham his play has dropped off but that could be scheme specific but a real good rookie could easily take his roster spot & don't think Whaley could wheel & deal for a veteran LB to come to the Bills.

But what do i know i'm just a Bills fan !! :blink:

Nobody would trade for Mario. he blows scheme or not scheme. he is not a team player. he could score maybe half his salary should he decide to motivate after they cut him? teams notice and watch the same tape. The guy is not beating his one on one assignments even.

Nobody would trade for Mario. he blows scheme or not scheme. he is not a team player. he could score maybe half his salary should he decide to motivate after they cut him? teams notice and watch the same tape. The guy is not beating his one on one assignments even.

i could see teams like the Raiders or Jags handing him a big contract because of his name and all their cap space. Raiders would be a good spot for him. He can clean up across Kahlil with min. Effort. Edited by YoloinOhio

Since Pegula's vote of confidence in Whaley and Rex.....these conversations are much more real.

A couple roster moves off the top of my head that IMO will happen.

1. Cut Mario
2. Restructure Clay (the contract was always set up to do so)
3. Resign Glenn and Incognito
4. Cut Harvin (contract was always set up to do so)
5. Cut EJ (fifty/fifty on this but think it will happen even though it gives us no cap relief)
6. Cut McKelvin (fifty/fifty, depends on Whaley and Rex thought on him as a 3rd corner as his deal is in line with a 3rd corner or at least s good one)
7. Extend Gilmore
8. Add NT
9. Add LBs and one to QB the D
10. Add safeties and follow A.Williams health and plan accordingly
11. Add #2 WR
12. Add back up QB or one with upside
13. Sort out RT

14. VERY important determine if we are extending TT because I think he is a FA after 2016 (could be an odd situation depending on where both sides start negotiations)

All add options are via trade, FA and draft. Trades are probably not the answer. All necessary moves probably won't happen because there are many positions that need additions to them. Hopefully some young players can step up especially at LB, DL, OL, TE.

Rex needs to look in the mirror and evaluate the season and keep his ego out of changes that need to be made in his annual, monthly and weekly evaluations and processes. He also needs to be a HC and not a DC

Go Bills!! This is our hand now dealt and lets see how we do.

Edit: If Rex does a good job I will be able to deal with his big mouth.

i could see teams like the Raiders or Jags handing him a big contract because of his name and all their cap space. Raiders would be a good spot for him. He can clean up across Kahlil with min. Effort.

It will be hard to trade him. But, we can try. If we do, great! Better than cutting.

Edited by Manther

You're dropping 15 players, most of whom are starters or important backups (nickel CB, 3rd WR, back up QB etc.). The Bills are also going to part ways with Harvin, another starter. How are you going to fill all of those holes in one offseason, much less think the team will improve?

Exactly! And, the players that replace them are not going to neccessarily make less or save much. What is NFL minimum? Something around $700 000?

These are the guys you want to cut?

CUT: EJ ($0), mario($13), McKelvin($4), Graham ($2.7), Lawson ($2.7), Carpenter ($1.7), Gay ($0.6) , Urbik ($1.8), Robey($1.0), Woods ($1.0), Dixon ($1.0), Goodwin ($0.7), Duke Williams ($0.7), gragg ($0.7). RESTRUCTURE : Gilmore ($3.0), Clay ($5.0), Kyle ($2.0). INJURY SETTLEMENT A. Williams ($0)

sign glenn ($10), incognito ($7), Bryant ($3), Gilislee ($2), Rambo ($2)

I would not cut Graham, Lawson, Carpenter, Urbik, Robey, Woods. So, that is $10.9 M not cut. So, from your original number of saving $42 M we are now saving $31 M if your math was right. I like the restructures and resignings though. Kyle would be my big questions from a couple thoughts...

1. restructured last year, any benefit to doing it again?

2. we could save about $5 M by cutting him and does he really have a place in Rex's system?

3. if we cut him it could be a big leadership void

4. he hasn't finished the last 3 season due to injury

Honest questions, might be the time to let him go and use the cap space for a more important position in Rex's system (since we are keeping him)

Travis Benjamin could be a sneaky pickup. Would help in the Percy role and clean up our return game.

1) He's much too small to fill the need for a big target #2 WR to encourage Tyrod to make more "trust" throws.

2) If you give a player a good contract you might as well forget having them return kicks.

Kick return duties are best handled by minimum salaried young players who are trying to prove themselves. it's the ultimate "want to" position.

Even Thigpen.......a guy with no future in the NFL besides returning kicks........lost his "want to" in the game after which he was most recently cut.

So I know our weak spot is the defensive front 7, and Rex is having personnel issues. It just so happens that Muhammed Wilkerson, Damon Harrison, Demario Davis, and Calvin Pace are all FAs this year. I suspect at a minimum we make a run at Demario Davis, and maybe Wilkerson if Mario gets shown the door.

What if they don't want to play for Rex? you have to believe it could be a strong possibility.

What if they don't want to play for Rex? you have to believe it could be a strong possibility.

Why would I believe that's a strong possibility? Have any of them spoken ill of him or his scheme? Just because Mario Williams doesn't like the scheme doesn't mean all of his old players magically don't love playing for him any more.

1) He's much too small to fill the need for a big target #2 WR to encourage Tyrod to make more "trust" throws.

2) If you give a player a good contract you might as well forget having them return kicks.

Kick return duties are best handled by minimum salaried young players who are trying to prove themselves. it's the ultimate "want to" position.

Even Thigpen.......a guy with no future in the NFL besides returning kicks........lost his "want to" in the game after which he was most recently cut.

Benjamin is a weird case. He's actually a lot like Sammy in his Suceess rate on 9 routes is fantastic. He also is very good at comeback, curl, and slant routes. I feel like this compliments Tyrod's game a ton.

I agree that it'd be good to get a big WR but we've got a big weapon in Clay, same height as your guy Alshon. I think Tyrod could utilize Benjamin's talents well as their strengths match up quite a bit (deep ball, sideline curl, etc).

Edited by BlueFire

Now that we know Rex is staying, I really hope they bring in a former Jet that knows the defense he runs well enough to be the field general, someone who can get everyone lined up correctly.

Can't remember where I read it but that's what he had in Jim Leonard. Someone asked him why Jim was even on the field because the guy couldn't run anymore and his answer was simply "because he can get everyone lined up". Too bad we could to bring Bart Scott in last year, that would've gone a long way in transitioning to this defense.

Why would I believe that's a strong possibility? Have any of them spoken ill of him or his scheme? Just because Mario Williams doesn't like the scheme doesn't mean all of his old players magically don't love playing for him any more.

If we're interested in them, we will see what happens then.