Would you re-sign Harvin to $3m incentive laden contract?

Kelly the Dog

Rex said today Harvin wants to still play. There is no way we keep him at his contract. There is no way IMO anyone pays him a decent contract next year based on his injury history and production history and various other factors. Personally I would have no problem signing him to a smallish deal with incentives for games active, starts and production. I think he would entertain re-signing here. At 3m I still know it is a risk and less than 50% chance he plays 15-16 games but it's a risk I would take.

I wouldn't want it to dissuade us from finding another #2 or #3 or #4 WR in FA or the draft though. And I totally understand why people would say no or not worth the risk.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex said today Harvin wants to still play. There is no way we keep him at his contract. There is no way IMO anyone pays him a decent contract next year based on his injury history and production history and various other factors. Personally I would have no problem signing him to a smallish deal with incentives for games active, starts and production. I think he would entertain re-signing here. At 3m I still know it is a risk and less than 50% chance he plays 15-16 games but it's a risk I would take.

I wouldn't want it to dissuade us from finding another #2 or #3 or #4 WR in FA or the draft though. And I totally understand why people would say no or not worth the risk.

I wouldn't put him at a high priority. Take care of other business first.

The only way I'd sign him if there was almost no bonus involved. The guy just cannot stay on the field and is completely unreliable because of that. Beyond that, he looked like a shot player to my eyes with little to no explosiveness left. I'd prefer that the Bills look elsewhere for a complementary WR for Sammy.

Rex said today Harvin wants to still play. There is no way we keep him at his contract. There is no way IMO anyone pays him a decent contract next year based on his injury history and production history and various other factors. Personally I would have no problem signing him to a smallish deal with incentives for games active, starts and production. I think he would entertain re-signing here. At 3m I still know it is a risk and less than .000000000000000000050% chance he plays 15-16 games but it's a risk I would take.

Fixed. And no

I assume you mean a deal with $3M base plus incentives. I don't have a problem paying Harvin well, but I do have a problem guaranteeing him any money. It was a mistake this season and it's a mistake going forward. I'd insist on multiple roster bonuses throughout the season - every game if I could get it. It's been done before. Greg Hardy has such a deal, with a $750k base and $9.25M in weekly roster bonuses, plus a hefty workout bonus of over $1M. So if Harvin wants a similar deal - maybe a base around $750k plus something like $500k per game in roster bonuses and bonuses for being on the active game day roster. He can make his $8M-$9M if he performs all season and is willing to gut it out and play dinged. If he steps out of line, nurses an injury or even genuinely gets injured he'd be out. Also if the roster bonuses were small, but the active game day roster bonuses were large he could be kept on the team if he was to miss some time due to legitimate injury, but would be expected back. While I don't think he'd accept that kind of contract, it'd be the only way I'd touch him.

*Please note that failure to pay a roster bonus terminates a contract whether or not a player is injured.

Would consider it only because the alternatives are so bad. Woods regresses every year. Used to look like a strong two, now he's a weak 4. Hogan does not belong on an NFL roster and there's another guy that gets injured every play.

Um Woods increased his tds and yards from 1st to 2nd year. He regressed because we have a high school passing attack. He's a good NFL #2.

I assume you mean a deal with $3M base plus incentives. I don't have a problem paying Harvin well, but I do have a problem guaranteeing him any money. It was a mistake this season and it's a mistake going forward. I'd insist on multiple roster bonuses throughout the season - every game if I could get it. It's been done before. Greg Hardy has such a deal, with a $750k base and $9.25M in weekly roster bonuses, plus a hefty workout bonus of over $1M. So if Harvin wants a similar deal - maybe a base around $750k plus something like $500k per game in roster bonuses and bonuses for being on the active game day roster. He can make his $8M-$9M if he performs all season and is willing to gut it out and play dinged. If he steps out of line, nurses an injury or even genuinely gets injured he'd be out. Also if the roster bonuses were small, but the active game day roster bonuses were large he could be kept on the team if he was to miss some time due to legitimate injury, but would be expected back. While I don't think he'd accept that kind of contract, it'd be the only way I'd touch him.

*Please note that failure to pay a roster bonus terminates a contract whether or not a player is injured.

That would be a good way to do it. Although I wouldn't go to or think we need to go very high. I think maybe if he plays all 16 he gets 5m and go down from there. As I said before, no one will give him a decent contract and no one should. But he will play somewhere.

Cannot carry him and Goodwin on this roster next season….I would say one or the other for a small price. 2 WR positions going to guys that cannot give you half a season is a waste.

That's a good point. You surely cannot trust Goodwin at this point. Even less than Harvin, which is saying something.