Some fun predictions from the past.

FireChan

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/175338-reported-schwartz-will-be-leaving-the-bills/

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/174796-head-coach-candidate-jim-schwartz/

Some highlights:

Perfectly fine with that.

Rex Ryan >>>>>> Jim Schwartz

I'm fine with Schwartz gone. The defense was great but hell a drunk monkey could make that defense look good. I like that Rex is brining in his guy. Less time to "get acquainted" and Rex and Schwartz would have bumped heads... A lot.

Continuity with the D is nice but it'd have to be an AWFUL coach to ruin them. It's all about finding someone that has a plan at qb - you better believe JS has been chasing an offensive coordinator hard the last day or two

Don't be silly. Rex is far better.

If true, this is my worst nightmare coming true. The Rex hire has put this team into full rebuild mode, which is NOT what this team needed. The Rex hire is tearing the team apart, IMO. I just have to hope it won't end up in a disaster. - Shout out to The Dean for this one, good call.

Tearing the team apart? Melodramatic much?

I'm in the here we go again camp. a coach who refuses to use rhe players and their strengths. A 4-3 is well suited for our front four. I am so suck of egomaniacs sticking square pegs into round holes. The D takes a step back and bye bye to Jerry Hughes....

I'll be sick if Schwartz leaves. He is the one that deserved the chance at the Bills head coaching job, and not the guy who just went 4-12.

Our D will probably be better next year. Not worried.

The Bills lose the HC that took them to 9-7* mostly because of the #3 defense. Then just hired a coach that went 4-12 and gave him a million and a half dollar raise, and with a 5 year contract no less. Only in Buffalo...

So like 80% of you honestly believe that Rex Ryan is going to come here and the defense is somehow going to regress?

Do you people actually watch football?

The defense will be FINE. Settle down folks!

What in the world has you thinking about Wanny in relation to Rex Ryan

Edited by FireChan

My favorite: "I'm fine with Schwartz gone. The defense was great but hell a drunk monkey could make that defense look good."

Can we get a drunk monkey in here please?!

On the other hand, it looks like The Dean nailed it.

Here's what I posted on last Jan 12:

I freakin' hate this. This is one one of the reasons why hiring Ryan was a bad idea. The Bills need help on offense and the first thing that happens is they lose the DC who brought them the best defense in the last decade. For what? A "Big Name" coach who hasn't won in four years.

Until I see otherwise, hiring Ryan was a terrible decision. I hate this musical chairs administration. No continuity. It makes me sick.

The Pegulas dazzled by Ryan's fame and the spotlight it brings. Idiocy.

and:

I like Whaley and I think in general he has done a good job. But Rex is the wrong HC hire. Maybe the Pegulas were leaning on him to make the sexy hire of the Big Name, like they did with LaFontaine for the Sabres.

I'm saying Rex is not taking this team to the playoffs. He has a terrible record developing an offensive system and a QB. The Bills DID NOT NEED the things Ryan is bringing. He was the wrong hire for this team at this time.

Of course I could be wrong, and I'll be pulling for them, but I have NO faith in Ryan. None.

and this one day later:

All this jazz about Rex's great defensive mind is completely beside the point. The Bills ALREADY HAD a top five defense without Rex's great defensive mind. Do you really expect, with another freakin' change of system for next season, that the defense is going to be better than it was in 2014? So what is Rex bringing to the defense that the defense NEEDED?

Even if you don't care about the prospect of players having to change roles to responsibilities they are not suited for. I will be flabbergasted if they play better defense in 2015 than they played in 2014.

So what is Rex Ryan bringing to this team that IMPROVES their situation for 2015? Well, apparently he's bringing Roman as the new OC, a guy who has shepherded the decline of Colin Kaepernick over the last three seasons and whom they can't wait to be rid of in San Francisco. Even if you like Roman, the Bills could have had him ANYWAY--or any number of other OCs who I think would do a better job with the Bills personnel and as mentors for Manuel, while keeping Schwartz as HC. They have thrown away any chance for continuity on either side of the ball by throwing away Schwartz, and any improvement they have at OC they could have had anyway without hiring Rex.

All this optimism that Rex's presence immediately makes this team more competitive is moonshine. The guy is 26-38 over the last four seasons as a head coach. I expect Whaley will give him a good roster to manage, with upgrades on the o-line, for instance. But Whaley would have done the same for anyone--Schwartz with Bevell, for instance, as OC.

I do not see any convincing way that hiring Rex is going to improve this team for 2015 over what we saw in 2014. Except all of you who are so excited that the national press is paying more attention to the Bills. Enjoy Rex's press conferences, brothers and sisters.

Wrong coach for this team at this time. A step backwards.

Edited by Dr. K

Nah, I don't wanna call anyone out personally.

You gotta, that's the only thing that's fun about this board if the team isn't any good (so basically for the last 16 years....). Analyzing the team, and giving viewpoints, and opinions about their decisions is what this board is about, to me at least.

I have been wrong, right, and everything in-between, and don't mind in the least when others take me to task.

Actually Rex runs his own D which is lightyears better then Pettine. Crazy b.c Pettine was under Rex but he doesn't run it as well.

It looked bad when Pettine left.

We will be fine with Rex running basically the same D as Pettine with the same players.

Pettine is one thing Thurman is another... Rex would be ok, but he's hc, not dc...we shouldve hired him as dc if we wanted for him to defensive playcall. Thurman is absolutely terrible.

This one here was Uffalo Ills, prophetic

I do not like this and at least for the time being I don't think the players will either.

Triple Threat

Got to disagree. Rex Ryan taught Pettine, that high-risk, high-reward can't stop the run D is what Ryan produced. I am very said if Schwartz is gone. I am disappointed Pegulas and the Bills FO let themselves be negotiated out of this....

Um, Barbarian? Where did Pettine's D rank against the run, and rank overall? This wasn't an accident. Pettine ran a high-risk, high-reward gambling kind of D. Got lots of sacks, let lots of long runs break.

Hopeful.

My favorite: "I'm fine with Schwartz gone. The defense was great but hell a drunk monkey could make that defense look good."

Can we get a drunk monkey in here please?!

On the other hand, it looks like The Dean nailed it.

That was totally Stojan, fits him fine.

most importantly... me

This is a terrible move. I don't care if we still finish 3rd in D this year. Overall I am not that happy with what I am seeing happening in the last 24 hrs. Not one bit. I thought Rex would come in and manage the coaching talent and manage the active roster/depth chart. Now I am wondering what the EFF.

Now what happens to Johnson? Pagac? Henderson? Superior positional coaches. What is Ryan and this terrible new DC going to want to do? This guy, forgot his name, I watched his D a lot. It was good D bad D jekyl Hyde in a matter of individual series! Screw that

This is a step back

The Dean, on 12 Jan 2015 - 11:24 PM, said:snapback.png

If true, this is my worst nightmare coming true. The Rex hire has put this team into full rebuild mode, which is NOT what this team needed. The Rex hire is tearing the team apart, IMO. I just have to hope it won't end up in a disaster.

Waiting a few days, they could have had a shot at Fox, who is CLEARLY a far superior HC than Rex.

fox is not superior IMO but I agree with everything else you said. I hate this move.

you should put a list of screen names and see if we can pass a test by matching the screen name to the quote.

Sometimes I start reading a thread without seeing who wrote it. But there are certain people I can tell right away. They are like broken records.

I'd be curious what I posted! I wanted so badly to believe he could be decent despite the fact that I've never liked the guy as a coach. I think I gave the benefit of the doubt because I couldn't do anything about it. My gut was right. He blows.

Not sure where it is on here but there were people who swore up and down that Robert Woods was a #1 WR and Watkins a #2. It was an odd argument, even at the time, considering there is not one thing on the football field that he does better.

hahahaha....oh yeah, i got my ass blistered by a couple of rather prolific members of this site for daring to assert that Robert Woods was merely an "average" WR last season.

"...but... the BLOCKING!!!" they'd holler

it's all good, though. it would be fun to see who said what- if everyone could just relax and have a few laughs over it.

little chance of that, I know.

for the record, I'm not convinced Rex can't coach defense or lead us to the playoffs...we'll see how I'm feeling about that a year from now.

The Dean really hit it out of the park with many great posts!

The Dean,

"If true, this is my worst nightmare coming true. The Rex hire has put this team into full rebuild mode, which is NOT what this team needed. The Rex hire is tearing the team apart, IMO. I just have to hope it won't end up in a disaster.

Waiting a few days, they could have had a shot at Fox, who is CLEARLY a far superior HC than Rex."

FearTheLosing,

"I just don't get the love for a loud mouthed jerk like Ryan. I loved watching the Bills beat his team 2x this year, and I would have preferred to give Schwartz a shot at HC instead. For the record I would have preferred Pettine as HC over Marrone.

Like I said,

"Although, I can see the defense being just as good this year without Schwartz, and yet I'm not sure how it helps that 20th ranked offense. You know, the one with the bad line, no first round draft pick or veteran QB. "

The Bills lose the HC that took them to 9-7* mostly because of the #3 defense. Then just hired a coach that went 4-12 and gave him a million and a half dollar raise, and with a 5 year contract no less. Only in Buffalo..."

Edited by Nihilarian

Great post ... look, any reasonable projection had the Bills going 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7. Some of the wildly optimistic sentiment was nothing more than magical thinking -- Marrone was not a leader of men whereas Rex is, etc., etc. All based on nothing objective. Likewise, all of the pessimism about 2016 is grossly overstated. This remains a team with average talent, hoping to catch a few breaks and to edge themselves into a wild card slot. Assuming Pittsburgh and KC make it, all of the AFC playoff teams with the possible exception of Houston (and I said "possible exception" since they are roughly equal talent-wise too; same with the Jets) are clearly better teams than the Bills. This team did not wildly underperform; they underperformed just by a bit -- roughly what any sensible person would have expected.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/175338-reported-schwartz-will-be-leaving-the-bills/

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/174796-head-coach-candidate-jim-schwartz/

Some highlights:

I'm fine with Schwartz gone. The defense was great but hell a drunk monkey could make that defense look good. I like that Rex is brining in his guy. Less time to "get acquainted" and Rex and Schwartz would have bumped heads... A lot.

Continuity with the D is nice but it'd have to be an AWFUL coach to ruin them. It's all about finding someone that has a plan at qb - you better believe JS has been chasing an offensive coordinator hard the last day or two

Don't be silly. Rex is far better.

If true, this is my worst nightmare coming true. The Rex hire has put this team into full rebuild mode, which is NOT what this team needed. The Rex hire is tearing the team apart, IMO. I just have to hope it won't end up in a disaster. - Shout out to The Dean for this one, good call.

Tearing the team apart? Melodramatic much?

I'm in the here we go again camp. a coach who refuses to use rhe players and their strengths. A 4-3 is well suited for our front four. I am so suck of egomaniacs sticking square pegs into round holes. The D takes a step back and bye bye to Jerry Hughes....

I'll be sick if Schwartz leaves. He is the one that deserved the chance at the Bills head coaching job, and not the guy who just went 4-12.

Our D will probably be better next year. Not worried.

The Bills lose the HC that took them to 9-7* mostly because of the #3 defense. Then just hired a coach that went 4-12 and gave him a million and a half dollar raise, and with a 5 year contract no less. Only in Buffalo...

So like 80% of you honestly believe that Rex Ryan is going to come here and the defense is somehow going to regress?

Do you people actually watch football?

The defense will be FINE. Settle down folks!

What in the world has you thinking about Wanny in relation to Rex Ryan

This is really a funny post. Funny as in interesting.

I've posted quotes of past predictions before with screen names and the very people who posted their ridiculous predictions or thoughts refuse to acknowledge them. Just like politicians, they try to hide from their past.

Go back to the days after the Rex Ryan hiring and read the posts. Hilarious how the masses were duped by Ryan and his stream of BS. Many of those people are still defending Ryan today. Yikes! Even with hindsight they still can't admit it was them who wrote those very comments.

Go back and read them to see for yourself.

Take a look at the season predictions posts. Also hilarious. 12-4 or 11-5 predictions were commonplace. The Bills were going to dethrone the Patriots. Go back and read them for yourself. Some of the posters have over 10,000 or 20,000 or more posts and it shouldn't be hard to find them. Why do they never confess how wrong they were?

Go back to the post that asked how much better the defense was going to be under Ryan vs. Schwartz. The majority said the defense was going to dominate the league under Ryan. What happened to those posters? Did they disappear?

I understand human nature enough to realize that admitting mistakes is hard to do. If you go back and read the posts from August and September you might see how mass hysteria can cloud your judgment.

In hindsight, the blind baseless optimism that followed the hiring of Rex Ryan was unfounded in logic or history. It is very informative to read those old posts. It helps you to spot the differences between emotional overreactions and rational analysis. Unfortunately, in a forum like this, emotions dominate reason.

To think when we considered Marrone, we could have had Arians. He was passed over by several teams. He has been by far my favorite coach for quite some time and glad for AZ, but sucks we couldn't pick out real talent. Chicago and other teams passed on him. At that point, he made the steelers offense a success, turned around a disaster with Pagano and his cancer bout, and was coach of the year. We chose an insecure guy who can't take a press conference to then take a blowhard who talks a good game, but doesn't deliver.

We would ahve had Bowles as our DC, and Arains running the offense. UGGHH!

This is really a funny post. Funny as in interesting.

I've posted quotes of past predictions before with screen names and the very people who posted their ridiculous predictions or thoughts refuse to acknowledge them. Just like politicians, they try to hide from their past.

Go back to the days after the Rex Ryan hiring and read the posts. Hilarious how the masses were duped by Ryan and his stream of BS. Many of those people are still defending Ryan today. Yikes! Even with hindsight they still can't admit it was them who wrote those very comments.

Go back and read them to see for yourself.

Take a look at the season predictions posts. Also hilarious. 12-4 or 11-5 predictions were commonplace. The Bills were going to dethrone the Patriots. Go back and read them for yourself. Some of the posters have over 10,000 or 20,000 or more posts and it shouldn't be hard to find them. Why do they never confess how wrong they were?

Go back to the post that asked how much better the defense was going to be under Ryan vs. Schwartz. The majority said the defense was going to dominate the league under Ryan. What happened to those posters? Did they disappear?

I understand human nature enough to realize that admitting mistakes is hard to do. If you go back and read the posts from August and September you might see how mass hysteria can cloud your judgment.

In hindsight, the blind baseless optimism that followed the hiring of Rex Ryan was unfounded in logic or history. It is very informative to read those old posts. It helps you to spot the differences between emotional overreactions and rational analysis. Unfortunately, in a forum like this, emotions dominate reason.

You will find them defending Ryan in tacit ways....

I specifically remember arguing how Grantland's best case scenario of 10-6 was not an insult to the Bills. Numerous posters had us going 11-5 or 12-4 - which seems ludicrous to me considering how hard it is for any franchise to win 11 or 12 games even when they have a pro bowl QB on the roster.

I specifically wanted Schwartz to stay and be promoted to HC.

However, when Rex was hired I did not envision the defense being this average (especially bc of the talent already here). Sad how things have worked out.