Where did it go wrong in 2015

bisonbrigade

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The players have said it themselves, they believed their press clippings instead of putting the work in. Rex fed into that mentality as he's all flash over substance.

I think that this is pretty close. These guys have no idea what it takes to win as they never have.

The players have said it themselves, they believed their press clippings instead of putting the work in. Rex fed into that mentality as he's all flash over substance.

That's the part that gets me. I knew he was a mouthy guy, but I never saw evidence that his Jets weren't prepared or didn't play hard. There was a four or five year run when Ryan got to NY where the Jets smacked the Bills around almost every game. I thought that was the 'bully' mentality he was talking about last summer, with a defense that already was intimidating people last year.

when we beat the Colts.

Everyone became unrealistic.

whole new Coaching staff. Everyone except Donnie.

Complicated offense and defense.

Once the bar was too high for the media and fans , no way to not have a shitstorm.

and that happened during the Patriots game. never recovered the media or the fan base.

doomed.

Not surprised so many

oare clawing at each other.

It was too fairy tale at first.

second game in it turned into a Grimm's fairy tale of that witch cooking up the most innocent Hansel and Gretel in her heavily stirred Pot

Edited by 3rdand12

when we beat the Colts.

Everyone became unrealistic.

whole new Coaching staff. Everyone except Donnie.

Complicated offense and defense.

Once the bar was too high for the media and fans , no way to not have a shitstorm.

and that happened during the Patriots game. never recovered the media or the fan base.

doomed.

Not surprised so many our clawing at each other.

It was too fairy tale at first.

second game in it turned into a Grimm's fairy tale of that witch cooking up the most innocent Hansel and Gretel in her heavily stirred Pot

I think everyone and I mean everyone expected this year's defense to be great and not just a little great but 1985 Bears that Rex's Dad was the DC for - 2000 Ravens great that Rex was the D-line coach of.

The Indy game was an anomaly because the Bills didn't really blitz that much and actually got it done with great coverage from the secondary. The Bills Defense only sacked Luck 2x and got two INT's, and one fumble recovery.

What we know now is that that Indy team that was supposedly SB bound was instead bound by a bad team around the QB, and it was the first of many bad games for the QB of the decade in Andrew Luck.

The smelly stuff from the ceramic convenience really hit the proverbial fan in the next game when Rex Ryan had his DB's playing 10 to 15 yards off the line. His DT's covering the gaps, and at times dropping into coverage along with the DE's so at times the defense only rushed with three players. This was the base defense we saw all season that let every opposing QB the Bills played look like all pro's because they had all day in the pocket to throw.

Tom Brady scorched the Bills defense in that game for a record-setting Buffalo Bills franchise worst 466 yards passing allowed by one player. The first of many bad days for the Bills defense. Just a reminder for those that still want to defend Ryan. The entire defense was healthy at this point.

Why Rex Ryan has insisted on continuing to run this passive soft cover defense most of the year leaves me thinking he did it on purpose. He would say it was all on him, and he would fix it, then never did. The lack of sacks is a direct result from a lack of blitzing, lack of defensive linemen rotation and having his DT's in gap control rather than rushing the passer, having the defensive linemen dropping into pass coverage far, far to often.

For the bad defense alone he should be fired. Then there is being #2 in the NFL in penalties. Poor game, red flag, and clock management at times. which is something you might expect from a first time HC.

Meanwhile, the NY Jets have a new HC with Gailey as the OC, and Fitz as the QB. They are currently in the playoff race at 9-5. Think the Jets fans are happy that Rex Ryan is the Buffalo Bills head coach? Or the Patriots fans?

Edited by Nihilarian

I think everyone and I mean everyone expected this year's defense to be great and not just a little great but 1985 Bears that Rex's Dad was the DC for - 2000 Ravens great that Rex was the D-line coach of.

The Indy game was an anomaly because the Bills didn't really blitz that much and actually got it done with great coverage from the secondary. The Bills Defense only sacked Luck 2x and got two INT's, and one fumble recovery.

What we know now is that that Indy team that was supposedly SB bound was instead bound by a bad team around the QB, and it was the first of many bad games for the QB of the decade in Andrew Luck.

The smelly stuff from the ceramic convenience really hit the proverbial fan in the next game when Rex Ryan had his DB's playing 10 to 15 yards off the line. His DT's covering the gaps, and at times dropping into coverage along with the DE's so at times the defense only rushed with three players. This was the base defense we saw all season that let every opposing QB the Bills played look like all pro's because they had all day in the pocket to throw.

Tom Brady scorched the Bills defense in that game for a record-setting Buffalo Bills franchise worst 466 yards passing allowed by one player. The first of many bad days for the Bills defense. Just a reminder for those that still want to defend Ryan. The entire defense was healthy at this point.

Why Rex Ryan has insisted on continuing to run this passive soft cover defense most of the year leaves me thinking he did it on purpose. He would say it was all on him, and he would fix it, then never did. The lack of sacks is a direct result from a lack of blitzing, lack of defensive linemen rotation and having his DT's in gap control rather than rushing the passer, having the defensive linemen dropping into pass coverage far, far to often.

For the bad defense alone he should be fired. Then there is being #2 in the NFL in penalties. Poor game, red flag, and clock management at times. which is something you might expect from a first time HC.

Meanwhile, the NY Jets have a new HC with Gailey as the OC, and Fitz as the QB. They are currently in the playoff race at 9-5. Think the Jets fans are happy that Rex Ryan is the Buffalo Bills head coach? Or the Patriots fans?

I did mention the Pats game.

It was mind blowing playing a soft zone.

Thats when i knew something was amiss and very much so.

But i still think the high form the preseason BS and then the winning over the Colts took folks on some emotional high that was deluded.

Bills actually had Luck flustered the whole game.

wtf happened in week two.

Bob Kraft paid somebody? He made buddies with Pegula a might quick too.

wonder what would happened if Rex spun a Schwartz wide nine this year?

Thats what i wonder

So what's your suggestion instead of TT?

Certainly easy to find potential better choices than Rex. QB is a different story. Like it or not, the truth is just based on all the other teams also struggling at QB, finding someone better is not very likely for QB

Kim Pegula hiring Rex Ryan --> Rex Ryan asking for Tyrod Taylor.

That's where it went wrong. Both of them suck at what they do.

From day one Ryan cared more about payback for being ousted, than coaching a playoff-bound team.... If the Enemkpali signing didn't tell you that, then making Enempkpali team captain for the Jets game should have.... And if at that point it STILL wasn't clear, then his juvenile celebration after the Jets win should have revealed his true intentions from the beginning...

It was only EVER about Rex...

That said, I don't think we'll have to fire him in the end... Of course It'd be nice... But I think he'll depart of his own accord... I don't think coaching (alone) gives someone with an ego that big enough TV time... If given the choice, I think Rex opts for a seat in front of a camera at some gullible sports network... But to answer the question of the thread, -which is, "where did it go wrong in 2015"....

It went wrong way before that....

How about in 2013 when Buddy drafted an over-hyped QB prospect in a draft chock-full of defensive studs... Datone Jones, Jarvis Jones, Ziggy Ansah, Sheldon Richardson.... You get the point.

I supportied the EJ drafting with the understanding that Buddy couldn't be talked down... I also felt (and still do) that EJ was the best QB prospect in an epically LOUSY batch. Sure, I campaigned for "D" until my fingers ached, but Buddy Nix is Buddy Nix... Who knows how far his southern-fried ignorance may have set us back.. The good news is that we have a chance to turn things around in this draft.... No point in further damging our draft position... -We're boned this year... It's time to fail....

Fail for Cardale.

Edited by #34fan

The strongest part of the entire team is the defensive line. You have four pro bowl defensive linemen, Mario, Marcelle and Jerry who last year had double digit sacks each and this year have a combined 11 sacks. The coaching staff has them totally out of place, even dropping into coverage. There is ZERO excuse for this. WGR with their excuses and apologetic crap says, "It's the short passing game" like no-one done that before, or "it's the injuries", like that has not happened before. Are not other teams like Carolina, Kansas City Denver, getting sacks and pressuring the Quarterback? The "short passing" game excuse has not effected these teams. Let's face it, the coaching staff is not what we were led to believe. When you have no pass rush and corners ten yards off the WR this happens.

At the time......the McCoy/Cassel/Harvin start was what I thought was a real departure from what they needed to do.....and that was very bad start.......but it turns out it was hiring Rex.

The day they hired Rex and he brought over his entire staff from the Jets staff who just went 4-12.

When Rex was hired, I was hesitant. He said he had learned from his time in NY and would improve. I was hopeful. The next day (or so it seemed), he brought his entire staff from the Jets, like you said. I was immediately concerned and doubtful it would work. At this point, like so many people, I'm just trying to figure out how a supposedly smart coach could make so many mistakes doing what he's spent his whole life doing. It just defies logic how quickly the wheels fell off this wagon.

I guess now we wait and see how bad it gets.

Hiring Rex was simply a stupid move that was sold to newbie owners by Brandon, who is completely worthless, and the con man himself, Asshat Ryan. Rex might have salvaged the situation if he had stayed true to his word and not tried to impose a scheme on personnel that were not suited for it. The Bills D under Pettine was ok, but not elite. It was the switch to the 4-3 that resulted in last year's quality defense. The personnel on this team simply aren't suited for Rex's defense, but he is such an ego maniac that he couldn't help himself and he had to impose his system on player unsuited to play it. Remember, this wasn't a case of Rex taking over after a disaster season. Marrone left of his own accord after the first winning season in quite some time. This should not have been a rebuilding year, but now, after scattered ruins remain after Rex's bomb of a first season, the team faces the need for a complete revamp at a time when it has salary cap issues. It is as though Rex was a secret agent sent by Jon Bon Jovi to destroy the Bills as retribution for that clown not getting the Bills.

The problems all began with the Nix and Whaley hires before the 2010 season. They didn't pick any of these guys in the drafts. Andy Dalton, Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr, Kirk Cousins, Brock Osweiller. They didn't trade for Carson Palmer or Alex Smith.

They hired Chan Gailey, and then added Doug Marrone and Rex Ryan. They haven't drafted a single high caliber offensive line player. They overpaid to keep a marginally motivated defensive tackle. From 2010 to 2015, they have 3 starters from the the first round in those 6 drafts. The now overpaid Dareus, Gilmore and Watkins. This appears to be a formula for an 6-10 to 8-8 team.

I would call Glenn, although not totally consistent, a high caliber lineman, or very close to it.

The rest of what you say is true, and quite depressing. Btw the qb list seems to be growing. Who would you rather have on the team, Cyril Richardson or Greg McCarron? I suppose the love that Whaley has for EJ was, and probably still is not to be denied. :)

Well.... it's like when Big Ben got a new OC after Arians left. He was pissed, Steelers O sucked the first couple years, etc. etc. Now they are unstoppable.

Bills made massive changes from last year to now due to Ralph's passing. No mistaking it... the whole thing was blown up. New coaches new players, massively different approaches. Sorry , this is what happens when your owner dies after many years of lame-duck owner, no-talent suckness; you blow it all up. Can't pick and choose, you pay $1B+ for a team, you blow it up, you blow it all up top to bottom. You get your own people. There was no football czar guy available (don't give me Polian, he's just trying to set up his son at this point, so he is out).

Then you lose your 3 locker room leaders Fred (who, to be fair, was done), Kyle Williams and Aaron Williams to IR. This is bigger than anyone will admit. Now you have newbies everywhere in key positions, wildly different systems mismatched to the players on D, very little practice time (thanks, CBA) and no player leadership. TT, Shady, et al are super talented, but are totally new guys in a new system so, not getting leadership from them this year. and when the playoff chances disappeared, lack of locker room leaders really shows up.

While we were all excited to see all the changes, year 1 is almost invariably a mess. No leadership/communication on the field (yet), lots of away games early, new approaches, the London game didn't help, but that was injury driven (EJ is still terrible).

and remember, "next man up" is a bunch of garbage. The Jax and the other "no name backfield" losses were directly related to injuries. sorry, year one with new systems and limited practice time (thanks again CBA) + a bunch of 1's going out = losses in today's NFL.

Rex ain't the best, but he's what we have, so get on board for the ride. at least sucking this year means Roman won't get plucked for a least one more year. hows that for a positive ending. go bills.

After this season with Rex, will you switch your screen name to "8-8---> I wish"? :)

Edited by Bill from NYC

This little revisionist history retrospective on FitzPickSix is making me ill. He's bleeping terrible to this day.

I am with ha brother. Let's see what they do long term with Fitz. They ain't winning a Sjper Bowl with him, of that I am almost certain. I am willing to bet they ain't winning a playoff game either with Fitz. Take it a step farther, I am willing to bet the Bills win a payoff game before the Jets. And my damn dog is named Fitzy, cuase I admire the hell out the guy.

I can tell you the exact moment this season turned, and it's all on me. I distinctly remember standing at the trough, Bills had just marched down the field and scored 7 and the Pats had gone 3 and out....I was out of my mind and started singing out loud

" I gotta feeling....Buffalo going to the Super Bowl"

They promptly went 3 and out, and our season has been a chit show ever since.

My bad!