Twitter rumors about Bills new structure, fate of Rex/Whaley

YoloinOhio

I'm fine with Whaley. I don't understand the venom sent his way. Not all moves/picks will be great. He's found some gems IMO.

Rex just hasn't done anything in his entire career that says he deserves to be where he is. I'll coordinate a perennial playoff team with Lewis, Reed, Ngata, ect. The jets improved without him, and the Bills devolved with him. Seems very clear to me.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He becomes Director of Player Personnel. Keep him happy, sort of, by maintaining his current salary. Whaley has done a good job and should be retained. The guy who has to be replaced is Rex, the sooner the better.

Or you create a title and position above "GM", then let him do his GM job within certain parameters. Let the "czar" call the shots regarding coach, structure and othe major issues. Whaley is good, Rex is not.

Or you create a title and position above "GM", then let him do his GM job within certain parameters. Let the "czar" call the shots regarding coach, structure and othe major issues. Whaley is good, Rex is not.

this is what I think would happen. IMO, they are looking for a 'football guy' in between the GM and owner. Colts had this structure when Polian was CEO/Team President And reported to Irsay. Everyone else reported to Polian. Polian was the final decision maker. Polian had things running very smoothly as an organization.

When Irsay wanted to fire the GM (Chris), Bill said he was leaving too. Irsay never filled Bill's role and hired both Grigson and Pagano who report to him. No buffer in between. And it's a mess internally and externally,

Edited by YoloinOhio

What I posted about Manning and the Polians is a huge rumor in Tennesee, where it makes more sense, but mostly for Manning moreso than the Polians.

It's known that Peyton wants an Elway type GM/front office role when his playing days are up.

Polian has a connection to Buffalo, and almost came last year. Who knows?

I'm not saying Polian and co. coming here is a good idea but there are only so many Grand Poobah types out there to be "Football Czar."

I should have combined this post a few later into my original one just for clarity.

The younger Polian is a walking disaster living off daddy's name. I do NOT want him coming here as GM.

I am just communicating a rumor I have read and also heard (one of the guys I do business with lives in Nashville and he told me the stories are based on a lot of back channel "buzz" out there).

I guess it all depends on #18 hanging them up this season.

It doesn't take a huge leap to wonder if something fell through with this package deal in TN, would Pegula want to try it?

Polian has a history here. Pegula tried to get him last year, so there is precedent. Polian and Manning are very close (Peyton went to his HOF induction). Peyton wants a front office role. Bill Polian wants his son to destroy a team with horrible personnel moves (okay maybe that's a bit harsh).

But no, I don't want this. It is not, however, all that crazy given Polian's connections here and his desire to help his son get a job he doesn't deserve. Peyton wants a John Elway type role (what exactly were Elway's front office credentials?)

I'm fine with Whaley. I don't understand the venom sent his way. Not all moves/picks will be great. He's found some gems IMO.

Rex just hasn't done anything in his entire career that says he deserves to be where he is. I'll coordinate a perennial playoff team with Lewis, Reed, Ngata, ect. The jets improved without him, and the Bills devolved with him. Seems very clear to me.

this is what the media wants. To create a wedge with the fan base. here we are picking someone to fire. being going for years. and still effective : (

devils work honestly

Interview with Rex on 550 , said he was on the same page with Whaley no problems.

Tried last year's defense against NE but Brady beat it with quick release

Switched to Rex defense , Mario wants no part of , Dareus seems the same

Mario complained of last second substitutions on defense causing confusion

this is what I think would happen. IMO, they are looking for a 'football guy' in between the GM and owner. Colts had this structure when Polian was CEO/Team President And reported to Irsay. Everyone else reported to Polian. Polian was the final decision maker. Polian had things running very smoothly as an organization.

When Irsay wanted to fire the GM (Chris), Bill said he was leaving too. Irsay never filled Bill's role and hired both Grigson and Pagano who report to him. No buffer in between. And it's a mess internally and externally,

It seemed they were wise enough to want that structure before this season, but didn't have time to pull it off so they took a shot. And missed. Rex won the lottery, take your money and go away. Go do TV since you love the camera so much. I can always turn the sound down....

Interview with Rex on 550 , said he was on the same page with Whaley no problems.

Yes, like ScottLaw said........Rex is full of sh*t.

The corners were 10 yards off the ball all day against NE. Looked a lot like the mess they ran against Washington.

They've been utterly confused on defense all season, even the opener against the Colts they couldn't figure out where to line up.

Schwartz D was simple.

If Rex was fired, I'd keep roman as OC, then bring in Schwartz as HC, and Pettine as DC (he is likely fired from Browns).

What I don't want yo do is bring in someone who wants to FI a gut and rebuild. The coach and DC have got yo be 4-3 guys.

I really like this idea mostly because Schwartz deserves another shot as HC, and Pettine would do so much better as DC with a solid run game offense that would help keep the Bills defense on the bench and fresh. Just remember the Bills were running that hurry up and punt offense in 2013 with Hackett running constantly up the middle with Spiller.

What I like better is hiring Bill Cowher to be the next Bills HC, and let him pick his assistants. I'll bet he would keep Greg Roman because he is a run first HC, and who knows for the DC job, perhaps Pettine. Cowher is about the only man I can think of would give Bill Belichick a run for the division.

when you have tough physical CB's and put them 10 yards off the line you give up a lot.

gilmore is better at the line where he can get hands on his wr.

mckelvin cannot function unless he is up on his man and can athletically match up against his player.

darby can matchup well with a wr, as a young'n he needs some space and could use some padding.

Yes, like ScottLaw said........Rex is full of sh*t.

The corners were 10 yards off the ball all day against NE. Looked a lot like the mess they ran against Washington.

They've been utterly confused on defense all season, even the opener against the Colts they couldn't figure out where to line up.

Schwartz D was simple.

And that is what worked with our players. A smart coach would have left what worked, slowly worked their scheme in as players changed. This way you don't ruin an entire season being a F&cking Idiot! After his first few meetings and practices he should have seen this...

I am not one for just throwing out a coach after one season, but IMO this is a huge flaw that won't get much better. No adjustments were made. Why is their a "rift" between him and Whaley? Well the coach keeps blaming it on execution and the players. Don't you think the GM might get a little bit pissed off at that? especially when they were playing well the 2 previous seasons and were a monster just 1 year before...

Ah shucks, "I tried it but it didn't work" (said every husband who didn't want to do that one chore for the wife or son who didn't want to mow the lawn)...asshat

As for who I want as an HC, I want someone who doesn't try to play GM, someone who isn't an OC, someone who isn't a DC. I want a HC who can focus on the game know when to challenge, make calls to go for it on 4th and 1 on the opponents 40-35yrd line, etc. I want someone who can look at what we have talent wise and work with the coordinators to build systems that work for the talent we have. I want a coach that line their best on the field and says come beat our best and imposes our will on others. I want a coach who has the same vision as the GM and they work together to build and fill out the roster. If it's Schwartz, fine, if it's Reich fine, if it's Rex (well ok it isn't him)

Edited by Reed83HOF

Well Brandon is still with the team and he was the guy who said about Rex "Don't let him leave the building". So I won't say they are stupid but extremely gulliable allowing one used car salesmen to sell them on another.

Whaley has problems with Impulse control. When he likes someone he dramatically OVER VALUES them and will dramatically overspend for them.

I've never seen it put so straight, but yeah, this is what it seem like to me. I love Sammy but we paid too much to acquire that #4 pick. I like Clay but we probably paid too much. Shady has done a good job but the re-negotiation of his contract was too generous

But while Russ told them not to let Ryan leave the building, there's no evidence that was a key moment, or that it changed anybody's mind. More likely it was just an interesting turn of phrase and more evidence that everyone was on the same page.

Edited by Thurman#1

The first NE game or the 2nd?