We Need A Real QB

The_Dude

Or made a statement on the talent he has to work with. Taylor is the best QB the Bills have had in awhile, but he's not the answer. Rex isn't the answer either, but we knew that a couple years ago

Says who? You LMAO. Another Tyrod isn't the answer, because I said so guy. You can't say that without saying WHO the alternative is. I'm tired of those who are spouting off without a good alternative. And don't say you want a franchise QB through the draft. Everyone wants to draft that guy, you cannot guarantee that and the games go on. So TT is a solid NFL QB and he could be the answer to the playoffs.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or made a statement on the talent he has to work with. Taylor is the best QB the Bills have had in awhile, but he's not the answer. Rex isn't the answer either, but we knew that a couple years ago

Im sorry this post makes no sense....no sense at all

Says who? You LMAO. Another Tyrod isn't the answer, because I said so guy. You can't say that without saying WHO the alternative is. I'm tired of those who are spouting off without a good alternative. And don't say you want a franchise QB through the draft. Everyone wants to draft that guy, you cannot guarantee that and the games go on. So TT is a solid NFL QB and he could be the answer to the playoffs.

I get so tired of these posts that offer zero alternative but for some reason they know more then an NFL professionals (and those professionals continue to accumulate)

"well yeah this happened but"

OK, you take my statement of him not being the answer to me saying he should be immediately cut, with a press conference declaring that anyone who signs him should be fired? Hello no. I don't believe he is a starting quarterback on a championship team. I think he can be efficient and make plays in the running game, which is very important.

What he isn't, is a QB suited for games where his team plays from behind. He definitely can play. At times at a somewhat high level

OK, you take my statement of him not being the answer to me saying he should be immediately cut, with a press conference declaring that anyone who signs him should be fired? Hello no. I don't believe he is a starting quarterback on a championship team. I think he can be efficient and make plays in the running game, which is very important.

What he isn't, is a QB suited for games where his team plays from behind. He definitely can play. At times at a somewhat high level

How can you or anybody for that matter make a blanket statement like that........

On friggen season.....in which he makes the pro bowl and is selected as ESPNs top free agent aquisition.

In a season where he had to compete with 3 different quarterbacks in training camp and split reps

In a season where injuries severely depleted this team

In a season where he was actually supposed to be a "game manager" while our vaunted D was supposed to forcing so many 3 and outs....turnovers....even defensive points and did NONE of that

Nobody should be making these type of statements until they see how Tyrod plays next season...he has earned that.

On friggen season.....in which he makes the pro bowl and is selected as ESPNs top free agent aquisition.

Great season indeed for Tyrod.

Is being a Pro Bowl alternate the same as making the Pro Bowl? Or, did I miss something? Is Tyrod in the Pro Bowl to go to Hawaii and actually play?

How can you or anybody for that matter make a blanket statement like that........

In a season where he had to compete with 3 different quarterbacks in training camp and split reps

In a season where injuries severely depleted this team

In a season where he was actually supposed to be a "game manager" while our vaunted D was supposed to forcing so many 3 and outs....turnovers....even defensive points and did NONE of that

Nobody should be making these type of statements until they see how Tyrod plays next season...he has earned that.

Again, nowhere did I say he shouldn't be back and nowhere did I say we should bring in a guy and anoint him as the starter. He's not a terrible option and should remain the starter until we have a better option.

Taylor isn't the reason the Bills missed the playoffs, but he isn't going to have this magical improvement down the road. Even if we don't improve the position, I'd say all this team needs to reach the playoffs is a viable coach. To go beyond that, they will need more from the quarterback, OL and defense. The defensive personnel is there, it just needs to be used.

Im sorry this post makes no sense....no sense at all

I get so tired of these posts that offer zero alternative but for some reason they know more then an NFL professionals (and those professionals continue to accumulate)

"well yeah this happened but"

If you need me to clarify something, just ask

Again, nowhere did I say he shouldn't be back and nowhere did I say we should bring in a guy and anoint him as the starter. He's not a terrible option and should remain the starter until we have a better option.

Taylor isn't the reason the Bills missed the playoffs, but he isn't going to have this magical improvement down the road. Even if we don't improve the position, I'd say all this team needs to reach the playoffs is a viable coach. To go beyond that, they will need more from the quarterback, OL and defense. The defensive personnel is there, it just needs to be used.

Its not called "magical improvement'

Its called "playing time"

Just like when people were saying that he cant work the middle of the field going through the season....and started working it as the season went on.

Rookie qbs VERY seldom look great in their first year......TT is not a rookie...he also hasnt been getting starters reps prior to this season. He has training camps and pre seasons mopping up after the starter but that is not the same thing.

Its not called "magical improvement'

Its called "playing time"

Just like when people were saying that he cant work the middle of the field going through the season....and started working it as the season went on.

Rookie qbs VERY seldom look great in their first year......TT is not a rookie...he also hasnt been getting starters reps prior to this season. He has training camps and pre seasons mopping up after the starter but that is not the same thing.

I'm really not saying to get rid of him, nor is the pro bowl going to change my opinion, as it has proven meaningless. I haven't seen that he can be an elite guy. I'm just saying bring someone in to compete- through the draft and free agency. And bring in a coach who can coach

I'm really not saying to get rid of him, nor is the pro bowl going to change my opinion, as it has proven meaningless. I haven't seen that he can be an elite guy. I'm just saying bring someone in to compete- through the draft and free agency. And bring in a coach who can coach

Adam,

I never thought you said get rid of him.

Bringing in another QB for next year is a must but people are going to be really dissapointed if they think it is the intention of this team to use a 1st to try to "compete" with Tyrod Taylor. They love this guy and they will probably bring in a vet and a project.

Tyrod is your starter next year so the best thing to do is try to figure out how to maximize HIM......you are not a pro bowl selection then go rid the bench...it doesnt work that way.

Yes let's get rid of our Pro Bowl QB and find a better one. Because we all know that Pro Bowl caliber QB's are a dime a dozen. Sometimes I think that the majority of people that post on this board have zero actual football knowledge. They watch the games, but they have no idea what they are seeing.

Adam,

I never thought you said get rid of him.

Bringing in another QB for next year is a must but people are going to be really dissapointed if they think it is the intention of this team to use a 1st to try to "compete" with Tyrod Taylor. They love this guy and they will probably bring in a vet and a project.

Tyrod is your starter next year so the best thing to do is try to figure out how to maximize HIM......you are not a pro bowl selection then go rid the bench...it doesnt work that way.

I am fine if he is the starter, but if you bring in a QB with the intent of filling the water bottles, what is the point. I'm fine with letting him enter camp as the starter, but I'm hoping for a QB that can challenge him.

The pro bowl is pretty meaningless. I haven't watched since Tasker was the MVP

Yes let's get rid of our Pro Bowl QB and find a better one. Because we all know that Pro Bowl caliber QB's are a dime a dozen. Sometimes I think that the majority of people that post on this board have zero actual football knowledge. They watch the games, but they have no idea what they are seeing.

Tyrod's amazing 50 percent of the time. There's still work to do.

Look in the mirror a lot, huh!

I am fine if he is the starter, but if you bring in a QB with the intent of filling the water bottles, what is the point. I'm fine with letting him enter camp as the starter, but I'm hoping for a QB that can challenge him.

The pro bowl is pretty meaningless. I haven't watched since Tasker was the MVP

The pro bowl is not meaningless when it is your QB I guarantee you that is not how the organization looks at it.

THey will sit down and take a look at

- The statline (and people can try to brush it off as much as they want.....that lack of turnovers on that statline is HUGE.....along with high completion percentage even when they dont use a short high percentage passing game

- Injuries

- Recognition from the Pro Bowl committee

The QB after him is needed because of his playing style. TT doesnt go down like a little girl (sometimes he should) he is gamer who fights for first downs....they need a quality guy behind him....but that guy wont be competing with him for the starting spot.

Old School....only if the mirror is broken and your standing on the other side of it....lol

I'm so sick of "Tyrod's not the reason we lost" crap. True, Tyrod has played well enough for us to win games we've lost. But in those games he didn't play well enough to win them. And that's why we will never be good with Tyrod ... Tyrod is no where near Rothlisberger and he never will be.

Let me get this straight: You're comparing a 12-year starter to a first-year starter? A first-round pick to a sixth-round pick? A QB whose first head coach was a respected winner, with a 149-90-1 career record, and second head coach, with a 91-51 record, to a QB whose head coach is a buffoon whose career record is 52-58? A QB with a $17.2 million cap hit to a QB with an $883K cap it? Yup, apples to apples right there.

Hey, look...to everybody who thinks Taylor is the answer, let me ask you this...when was this team great? The answer is under Kelly...who was a franchise QB and one of the best in the league. And when have we sucked? When we have QB's like Taylor...

Now we're comparing TT to a Hall of Famer who benefited by playing alongside heaps of other Hall of Famers, led by a Hall of Fame coach who reported to a Hall of Fame GM. Question: When Kelly led the Bills to a 4-12 season in his first year as a starter, did you want him run out of town, too? Care to compare Kelly's stats as a first-year starter to TT's? Just let me know.

I'd take Tannehill, Bortles and Osweiler over TT, but wait I no nothing.

When you post that you'd trade Mario Williams straight up for John Skelton, you make it hard for anyone to take you seriously. Not flaming, just being honest. I get why you're so high on Tannehill. After all, he's led the Dolphins to the playoffs 4? 3? 2 1 0 times since he became the Dolphins' starting QB. But who are we to talk with our playoff drought, right? Let's make it a bit more fair for Mr. Tannehill. He has led the Fins to 4 3 2 1 0 winning seasons since he became their starter. Overall, he's 2-6 against Buffalo, including two blowout losses to the Bills (and... ahem... Tyrod Taylor) this year. All that said, I firmly believe Tannehill will be a very good franchise (backup) QB someday.

No, TT isn't playing like an all-pro, but what the heck do you guys expect? To say it's all on him -- or even mostly -- is laughable. Rex is a bust who has lost this team. They don't respect him, and they don't seem to have a desire to play hard for him (like they did for Schwartz last year against the Lions -- remember that?) Our defense is horrific largely because of Rex and his stupid scheme which is, at best, a square peg/round hole situation with players who excelled in another scheme just before he arrived. We're second in the league in penalties, which, by the way, have negated a ton of completion yards by TT and have forced him into 3rd-and-long situations all year. But, of course, those are just "excuses" because we are hell-bent on crucifying a sixth-round pick in his first full season even though he has exceeded all rational expectations.

Edited by Felonious Monk

The pro bowl is not meaningless when it is your QB I guarantee you that is not how the organization looks at it.

THey will sit down and take a look at

- The statline (and people can try to brush it off as much as they want.....that lack of turnovers on that statline is HUGE.....along with high completion percentage even when they dont use a short high percentage passing game

- Injuries

- Recognition from the Pro Bowl committee

The QB after him is needed because of his playing style. TT doesnt go down like a little girl (sometimes he should) he is gamer who fights for first downs....they need a quality guy behind him....but that guy wont be competing with him for the starting spot.

Old School....only if the mirror is broken and your standing on the other side of it....lol

I am not in the "the sky is falling if TT isn't replaced camp." But if better players aren't sought out at every position, what is the point. If a blue chip LB is available, but a third-rate QB is taken, I have a problem with that. If a good QB is available, the team should acquire him and allow competition.

The pro bowl is not an excuse to not improve

Is being a Pro Bowl alternate the same as making the Pro Bowl? Or, did I miss something? Is Tyrod in the Pro Bowl to go to Hawaii and actually play?

More than likely he will go. There are always a couple of QB's selected that can't play for one reason or another.

3-8 27 yards in first half, yep real deal alright.

Last time I checked there are two halves in the game, hence the reason for calling them halves. Did I miss something? Are we now only counting the first half of games? If so, why do they bother to play the second half? Enlighten me.

More than likely he will go. There are always a couple of QB's selected that can't play for one reason or another.

Last time I checked there are two halves in the game, hence the reason for calling them halves. Did I miss something? Are we now only counting the first half of games? If so, why do they bother to play the second half? Enlighten me.

Also.....lets not count the fact that franchise qbs have up and down quarters as well (and I am not even calling TT a franchise QB at this point)

No I just read idiotic posts about getting rid of a QB that has had one of the best seasons of any QB in the league and was just named a Pro Bowl alternate. Because you geniuses know that there are a million better options out there.

Also.....lets not count the fact that franchise qbs have up and down quarters as well (and I am not even calling TT a franchise QB at this point)

I'm not even saying that he won't. We need to be looking all positions. I'd be looking OL and TE upgrades first on offense, but if competition presents itself at QB, grab it.

No I just read idiotic posts about getting rid of a QB that has had one of the best seasons of any QB in the league and was just named a Pro Bowl alternate. Because you geniuses know that there are a million better options out there.

Ok, whatever genius!

If you need me to clarify something, just ask

How can you possibly know that? I think it's pretty common knowledge that most guys take a few years as a starter before they show who they are. Anyone you draft is going to need the same amount of time.

So, unless you plan on signing a FA QB who is rated higher than him (none available btw), I don't see what your solution is still.

I'm all for drafting a QB. TT is going to get hurt again with how he plays. And if that guy eventually turns out better, sure. But to overall say we need a better QB already...sorry, not getting it

How can you possibly know that? I think it's pretty common knowledge that most guys take a few years as a starter before they show who they are. Anyone you draft is going to need the same amount of time.

So, unless you plan on signing a FA QB who is rated higher than him (none available btw), I don't see what your solution is still.

I'm all for drafting a QB. TT is going to get hurt again with how he plays. And if that guy eventually turns out better, sure. But to overall say we need a better QB already...sorry, not getting it

My solution is to improve the team. The people who just want to scrap TT without a better option are idiots. That is what made the team suck for almost two decades now. Bring in a couple guys who can compete/push him. Build up the line. I think a lot of TT's success is based on a lot of talent around him, but sure- I have seen some things in him. By no means have I suggested getting rid of him.

This simply is not true. I'm not sure why I keep seeing this. He is 25th in yards, and if you want to use the excuse that he missed two games, it is even worse - he's 34th in yards per game.

I've said this a bunch, and boy do I hope that I'm wrong, but his stats are so limited due to his lack of attempts, that his passer rating is absolutely skewed and will almost certainly regress towards the mean. If he passed as much as these top QB's that you think he is neck and neck with, he would be throwing picks like crazy and your precious QB Rating would be ruined.

You can look to the season where Nick Foles threw for 27 TDs and 2 INTs. He was very safe, but, like Tyrod didn't necessarily use dump-offs for his numbers. He led the league in Y/A, TD%, and QB Rating. He only started 10 games that year, and outside of Philly I'm not sure people thought he was the real deal. Most talked about this regression toward the mean with meaningful pass attempts, and you all know what happened the following year.

I am hoping that Tyrod can "progess" but I don't think that it is practical. Kirby, and the other posters that are enamored with these "stats" are looking at all the wrong stats, all the while calling me insane. They're not being practical, and honestly they are setting themselves up for disappointment. It's possible that we just have a very limited offense without a passing threat next season, and Tyrod maintains his very high qb rating (without a lot of yards or TDs), but I don't think that is good for the team, and as we're seeing over time it is not a successful method for winning football games.

You can look to the season where Nick Foles threw for 27 TDs and 2 INTs. He was very safe, but, like Tyrod didn't necessarily use dump-offs for his numbers. He led the league in Y/A, TD%, and QB Rating. He only started 10 games that year, and outside of Philly I'm not sure people thought he was the real deal. Most talked about this regression toward the mean with meaningful pass attempts, and you all know what happened the following year.

I don't think that's a fair comparison. Forget Y/A, TD% and QB rating. Let's look past all of Foles' personal stats in 2013. He played behind the best offensive line in the NFL, and it wasn't even close.The Eagles' o-line was #1 in run blocking, which helped Shady (a top-two running back) rack up 2,146 yards from scrimmage. That took a lot of pressure off Foles and opened things up nicely, giving him lots of time back there. Add to that the fact that all five starting offensive linemen started every game that year, including the playoffs -- and all five played together for 5839 of 5945 snaps -- an average of 98.18% -- and Foles' "magical" season suddenly becomes a lot more explainable. Evan Mathis and Jason Peters played at an All-Pro level, and while Jason Kelce wasn't quite there, he was very good. So was Todd Herremans. The Eagles' #4 overall pick that year -- RT Lane Johnson -- was the "weakest link," allowing 10 sacks -- but he was excellent against the run, outplaying the two linemen taken before him in that draft, and being ranked 10th through 12th in the league that year (depending on publication you're referencing) among all OTs. As for system, Philly ran the spread offense under Chip Kelly, which Foles knew well from his days as a Wildcat.

In response to the other bolded point, I don't think we all know -- or care to acknowledge -- what happened the following year. Mathis and Kelce missed significant time with injuries, Johnson served a four-game suspension to start the season and key backup Allen Barbre's season ended Week 1. Their replacements were awful. The decimated line also affected Shady, who had only five rushing TDs and didn't catch a single TD pass. The OL started playing well again as the injured guys healed up -- just in time to see Sanchez under center. I have no idea what the Rams were thinking when they traded for Foles. While Rex forced the Bills' defense to learn his scheme this year, the Rams went the other way and devised an offense that catered to Foles -- shotgun heavy. It was completely unfamiliar to the team and was a disaster, leading to the firing of their offensive coordinator mid-season and Foles' benching.

I'm not saying Foles is good. He is mediocre at best, and that's being generous. My point is that you or I could have had success behind the Eagles' OL in 2013. The sad reality is that the Bills' OL is nowhere near that caliber. And then there are penalties. While the 2013 Eagles committed 99 accepted penalties for 889 yards through 17 games, the Bills this year have committed 132 penalties for 1,142 yards with two games left to play. How fans can't understand what that does to a QB is beyond me. Considering that Roman is TT's fifth offensive coordinator in five years and that TT learned everything through osmosis riding the pine watching Flacco, I'd say TT has done very well as a first-year starter. Think Baltimore would welcome him back these days? I do.

As others have stated, any NFL team's goal should be to improve at every position. In 2016, free agency won't be a viable option at QB, with Sam Bradford leading the free agent class. If there's a promising QB that falls to us in the draft, grab him and let him and TT battle it out in training camp, as others have suggested in this thread. The Bills have very little invested in TT and if he flames out, oh well. What is their cap hit for TT next year -- just over $1 million? Contrary to what others have written in this thread, there is no elite QB in next year's class. Despite this, Lynch will be gone by the time the Bills pick, and Goff, too, with Cleveland, San Francisco and Philly in the market -- and possibly Dallas, San Diego and New Orleans due to aging franchise QBs. One could grab Conor Cook, who is physically gifted but mentally immature and has character issues. I've been reading that NFL scouts don't like him because they say he's "more interested in being a celebrity." Johnny Football II, anyone? No thanks. (He'd be a great fit in Dallas, though). Who's next? Conklin, if he declares? IMO he's a reach in the first round and would be gone by the time the Bills are up in Round 2.

With free agency a laughable option and the top QBs likely gone by the time the Bills pick, I think Tyrod's detractors will be very disappointed next year.

Still waiting for the person that thinks anything other than:

- Tyrod surpassed everyone's expectations this year; he still has some areas that need to improve, but has earned a chance to go into the offseason as the starter

- a veteran backup is sorely needed

- The team needs to spend a high draft pick (1st-3rd round) on a franchise QB prospect

But by all means let's keep beating each other's opinions into the ground on minutiae

I don't think that's a fair comparison. Forget Y/A, TD% and QB rating. Let's look past all of Foles' personal stats in 2013. He played behind the best offensive line in the NFL, and it wasn't even close.The Eagles' o-line was #1 in run blocking, which helped Shady (a top-two running back) rack up 2,146 yards from scrimmage. That took a lot of pressure off Foles and opened things up nicely, giving him lots of time back there. Add to that the fact that all five starting offensive linemen started every game that year, including the playoffs -- and all five played together for 5839 of 5945 snaps -- an average of 98.18% -- and Foles' "magical" season suddenly becomes a lot more explainable. Evan Mathis and Jason Peters played at an All-Pro level, and while Jason Kelce wasn't quite there, he was very good. So was Todd Herremans. The Eagles' #4 overall pick that year -- RT Lane Johnson -- was the "weakest link," allowing 10 sacks -- but he was excellent against the run, outplaying the two linemen taken before him in that draft, and being ranked 10th through 12th in the league that year (depending on publication you're referencing) among all OTs. As for system, Philly ran the spread offense under Chip Kelly, which Foles knew well from his days as a Wildcat.

In response to the other bolded point, I don't think we all know -- or care to acknowledge -- what happened the following year. Mathis and Kelce missed significant time with injuries, Johnson served a four-game suspension to start the season and key backup Allen Barbre's season ended Week 1. Their replacements were awful. The decimated line also affected Shady, who had only five rushing TDs and didn't catch a single TD pass. The OL started playing well again as the injured guys healed up -- just in time to see Sanchez under center. I have no idea what the Rams were thinking when they traded for Foles. While Rex forced the Bills' defense to learn his scheme this year, the Rams went the other way and devised an offense that catered to Foles -- shotgun heavy. It was completely unfamiliar to the team and was a disaster, leading to the firing of their offensive coordinator mid-season and Foles' benching.

I'm not saying Foles is good. He is mediocre at best, and that's being generous. My point is that you or I could have had success behind the Eagles' OL in 2013. The sad reality is that the Bills' OL is nowhere near that caliber. And then there are penalties. While the 2013 Eagles committed 99 accepted penalties for 889 yards through 17 games, the Bills this year have committed 132 penalties for 1,142 yards with two games left to play. How fans can't understand what that does to a QB is beyond me. Considering that Roman is TT's fifth offensive coordinator in five years and that TT learned everything through osmosis riding the pine watching Flacco, I'd say TT has done very well as a first-year starter. Think Baltimore would welcome him back these days? I do.

As others have stated, any NFL team's goal should be to improve at every position. In 2016, free agency won't be a viable option at QB, with Sam Bradford leading the free agent class. If there's a promising QB that falls to us in the draft, grab him and let him and TT battle it out in training camp, as others have suggested in this thread. The Bills have very little invested in TT and if he flames out, oh well. What is their cap hit for TT next year -- just over $1 million? Contrary to what others have written in this thread, there is no elite QB in next year's class. Despite this, Lynch will be gone by the time the Bills pick, and Goff, too, with Cleveland, San Francisco and Philly in the market -- and possibly Dallas, San Diego and New Orleans due to aging franchise QBs. One could grab Conor Cook, who is physically gifted but mentally immature and has character issues. I've been reading that NFL scouts don't like him because they say he's "more interested in being a celebrity." Johnny Football II, anyone? No thanks. (He'd be a great fit in Dallas, though). Who's next? Conklin, if he declares? IMO he's a reach in the first round and would be gone by the time the Bills are up in Round 2.

With free agency a laughable option and the top QBs likely gone by the time the Bills pick, I think Tyrod's detractors will be very disappointed next year.

Hey man FWIW, this year as of right now Buffalo has the #1 rush offense in the NFL. Look it up! Umm, Taylors season does have extreme similarities to Foles season a couple of years ago. Your rant is kinda meaningless.

The Bills should absolutely not stop looking for a QB upgrade. I hope to god they do not feel complacent with TT as QB. If they do they are doomed because the reality of it is TT is not a great QB, he is average, I would hope they want better than average.

Hey man FWIW, this year as of right now Buffalo has the #1 rush offense in the NFL. Look it up! Umm, Taylors season does have extreme similarities to Foles season a couple of years ago. Your rant is kinda meaningless.

The Bills should absolutely not stop looking for a QB upgrade. I hope to god they do not feel complacent with TT as QB. If they do they are doomed because the reality of it is TT is not a great QB, he is average, I would hope they want better than average.

How many int's for foles that year?

And YOUR rant is meaningless and had been pretty much since your post number 1

So THAT is what you took away from my "rant?" I can see reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. No problem. I don't mind getting in the gutter with trolls.

Guess who put the Bills rush offense over the top? That's right -- TT and his 450 rushing yards, genius. Look it up! Umm...

Edited by Felonious Monk

You could have just posted the bolded, as that was my point - but I'll play along.

I appreciate that you took the time to break-down the Eagles' situation in an attempt to decode Foles' downfall. I don't think it's as important as the fact that Foles simply had an outlier season (be it scheme, personnel - the reason is not as important, since most of what people are using to promote Taylor are his stats [the very ones that compare to Foles]). I think your last couple paragraphs are interesting, and I agree that the FA market looks weak. If we bring in a rookie QB to compete with Tyrod, he won't be Lynch or Goff (unless we were to move up in the draft) - so the odds of them beating Tyrod in camp are unlikely.

You mentioned Tyrod's contract. We'll see how the team plays their hand, heading into their QB's contract season - but if the Bills front office is thinking like the majoirty of the fanbase, I would expect a nice fat paycheck heading his way. Perhaps it will be easy to get out of, but I just don't think that's what this team needs now. The problem, with being in QB purgatory is that trying harder to cement a player as "your guy" can end up hurting you more in the long run.

really?

this is the definition of nitpicking, or pickin nits.

pb is a voting thing and like presidents its a popularity event.

The Kid deserves some respect.

Tyrod's amazing 50 percent of the time. There's still work to do.

fair enough

we ginieuses grow on trees too.

fact

us truly smart folks let smarter folks then us make these decisions.

I just post my opinions.

signed

just a fan

I'm so sick of fans wanting an elite QB overnight. It doesn't work that way.

yes it does.

do you even watch the games.

Merry Christmas

every one!!

Cardale + Big Receiver + Pep Hamilton = Playoffs. I can't make it any simpler than that.

well that seems pretty simple to me. whats the question.

and change your avatar. i have a pavlovian response every time i see it and start drooling.

I think total offense tells more. Run/Pass ratio can skew the total of either. I think Taylor is above average for a QB in this league, but average to below average for a starter on a winning team. He is very valuable and I wouldn't be uncomfortable if he's the starter next season. I would be uncomfortable if he is the starter by default.

You mentioned Tyrod's contract. We'll see how the team plays their hand, heading into their QB's contract season - but if the Bills front office is thinking like the majoirty of the fanbase, I would expect a nice fat paycheck heading his way. Perhaps it will be easy to get out of, but I just don't think that's what this team needs now. The problem, with being in QB purgatory is that trying harder to cement a player as "your guy" can end up hurting you more in the long run.

Some really good points here. It's a damned if you do/damned if you don't situation. Pay Tyrod and if he busts (like Fitz), you're sitting on heaps of dead money. Don't pay him and watch him (with our luck) go to a team within the division and (with our luck) light it up against us for years. I would love to see what TT can do working with the same OC (be it Roman or whomever) for more than one year. If he regresses next year, I'll be his harshest critic. But I really believe he has the heart and work ethic to go the other way. Ryan L Billz had a good take: "Tyrod's amazing 50 percent of the time." He has shown flashes of awesomeness (among flashes of WTF?), and he can throw the football with touch unlike any QB we've had seen since Flutie. Now it's all about consistency. If he goes from 50% to 65+% next year, I'm confident we'll have our franchise guy. How much is he willing to put into it for that 15%? If the answer is "everything," he controls his own destiny.

UNLESS... If the discipline issues aren't resolved and the Bills commit even 80% of the penalties next year that they did this year, no quarterback in the league would go very far, much less one with only a year as a starter. When a 3rd and 4 consistently becomes a 3rd and 14 due to some random hack's lack of focus, lapse in judgment or hot-headedness, it kills drives and makes the QB's life hell -- nevermind the TDs or would-be first-down completions that are called back because of some hold 40 feet from the ball. On defense, a dopey defensive PI penalty that turns a 3rd and 14 into a 1st and goal only leads to more points Tyrod has to overcome. It's a shame these stats don't show up in the box score.

and change your avatar. i have a pavlovian response every time i see it and start drooling.

Over/under, percentage-wise, on TBD posters who know who Pavlov was without Googling? :nana:

Edited by Felonious Monk

Some really good points here. It's a damned if you do/damned if you don't situation. Pay Tyrod and if he busts (like Fitz), you're sitting on heaps of dead money. Don't pay him and watch him (with our luck) go to a team within the division and (with our luck) light it up against us for years. I would love to see what TT can do working with the same OC (be it Roman or whomever) for more than one year. If he regresses next year, I'll be his harshest critic. But I really believe he has the heart and work ethic to go the other way. Ryan L Billz had a good take: "Tyrod's amazing 50 percent of the time." He has shown flashes of awesomeness (among flashes of WTF?), and he can throw the football with touch unlike any QB we've had seen since Flutie. Now it's all about consistency. If he goes from 50% to 65+% next year, I'm confident we'll have our franchise guy. How much is he willing to put into it for that 15%? If the answer is "everything," he controls his own destiny.

UNLESS... If the discipline issues aren't resolved and the Bills commit even 80% of the penalties next year that they did this year, no quarterback in the league would go very far, much less one with only a year as a starter. When a 3rd and 4 consistently becomes a 3rd and 14 due to some random hack's lack of focus, lapse in judgment or hot-headedness, it kills drives and makes the QB's life hell -- nevermind the TDs or would-be first-down completions that are called back because of some hold 40 feet from the ball. On defense, a dopey defensive PI penalty that turns a 3rd and 14 into a 1st and goal only leads to more points Tyrod has to overcome. It's a shame these stats don't show up in the box score.

Over/under, percentage-wise, on TBD posters who know who Pavlov was without Googling? :nana:

Pavlov.......that rings a bell!