We Need A Real QB

The_Dude

The bolded is where I would have to agree to disagree. I think the eye test is significantly in favor of Tyrod. I truly think that Tyrod can put the team on his back at times and win games i.e. Tennesee. He's had his moments when he's not lived up to the "franchise" tag but he's young and still learning. I see positives in his game and I think he continues to get better. EJ on the other hand, I never feel comfortable when the ball leaves his hand, I always feel like it's going t be too high, too low, to far behind etc.

We need to stick with Taylor for another year. I think continuity is the best way to go at this point.

Why? That's one isolated incident? See: EJ with Carolina.

Tyrod has proven 4 different times this season with the ball late in an opportunity to tie or win that he cannot do that. The knock on EJ with accuracy is incredibly hypocritical. Multiple times in the game yesterday Tyrod's throws were very off base (especially on the run). He had a wide open Watkins on a roll-out to the right and over threw him by 10-20 yards.

We will have to agree to disagree. I'm not advocating for EJ to start at all, I just think we can do much better than Tyrod Taylor, especially if we're rebuilding and have an opportunity to go with a young QB. I think he and EJ are much of the same.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think many have seen enough of EJ to say he's not the answer.

Not the answer as far as being the next Joe Montana, sure. Sure he looked bad for one quarter vs Jacksonville and the pass to Watt was bad. But I have seen other QBs including the great Andrew Luck throw that exact same pass only it wasn't caught. I also saw Carson Palmer give up 2 TDs to Seattle in less than 1:00 a few weeks later. Yet, he, his D, and team mates were able to overcome. Kindof like EJ did, only his D and team mates (Shady on the 4) didn't come through.

But EJ has also played very well in quite a few games too. So I'm not giving up on him based on 1 quarters' play, but that's just me. As far as that loss keeping us from the playoff, I'd argue the KC game made a bigger difference.

I don't see Tyrod as bad, but he doesn't seem like a complete QB.

He has great mobility and throws a nice deep ball. But even in games where he hits a few deep balls he barely cracks 225 yards.

What that means is that he isn't consistently completing passes in the short/intermediate game.

HOWEVER, he could very well grow as a passer this offseason. I want to see how much he can improve.

he's a rookie. he'll have all the reps with the 1's this offseason and will get better. a lot better , IMO. Karlos, John Miller, Darby will have an entire offseason to train for a pro season (which will help Miller tremendously) and get better and post Fred Jackson leaders will emerge. It's a new day. We're just on page one with this group. Forget the playoffs, I want a real contender. This season was not going to be it, never was. This team would have been erased in the playoffs if they got there this year. too many new parts from top to bottom. is what it is. year one.

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

The fact is that Tyrod isn't the reason the Bills lost. They were built to be a defense that crushes the opposition and an offense that wears teams down. While Rex Ryan is great in press conferences, he has nothing if his scheme doesn't work (with this talent, we don't need some big-ego soothing scheme). The offense is not built to come from behind very often.

Not the answer as far as being the next Joe Montana, sure. Sure he looked bad for one quarter vs Jacksonville and the pass to Watt was bad. But I have seen other QBs including the great Andrew Luck throw that exact same pass only it wasn't caught. I also saw Carson Palmer give up 2 TDs to Seattle in less than 1:00 a few weeks later. Yet, he, his D, and team mates were able to overcome. Kindof like EJ did, only his D and team mates (Shady on the 4) didn't come through.

But EJ has also played very well in quite a few games too. So I'm not giving up on him based on 1 quarters' play, but that's just me. As far as that loss keeping us from the playoff, I'd argue the KC game made a bigger difference.

EJ will be a fine backup. Low cost. Nowhere else to go. Nice backup QB. We'll get another guy for next year. Watch out. Josh Johnson can play some ball as well. We just never saw it here. He will be a contender for #2 next year as well.

For me, EJ is a no, primarily on the eye test. He had flashes, but he is not accurate. Tyrod is much more accurate than EJ. First and foremost, for a QB, you MUST be accurate and that's something that is not easily taught, if it's taught at all (could be more you have it or you don't).

If EJ put up the numbers that TT has this year, you would call him a franchise QB in the making.

For me, EJ is a no, primarily on the eye test. He had flashes, but he is not accurate. Tyrod is much more accurate than EJ. First and foremost, for a QB, you MUST be accurate and that's something that is not easily taught, if it's taught at all (could be more you have it or you don't).

Tyrod Taylor's completion % the last 5 games: 55.5%, 55.3%, 52.4%, 52.8%, 59.2%.

He's not going to have 11 for 12 games every week.

If EJ put up the numbers that TT has this year, you would call him a franchise QB in the making.

Whatever.

If EJ had started all year and we had the same won loss record and EJ has stumbled where Tyrod has, I wouldn't say he is the franchise QB in the making any more than I think Tyrod is at this point. There's a lot more to football than stats.

I don't care who the starter is as long as their good. Please don't paint me as a EJ jock sniffer. I didn't even say EJ should start. I just said I haven't given up on him.

I like Tyrod and he has done well. We just need to keep looking and keep an open mind, that's all. Saying Tyrod is the guy and going all in on him feels a lot like saying Fitz is the guy when we did and going all in on him.

Edited by reddogblitz

Tyrod Taylor's completion % the last 5 games: 55.5%, 55.3%, 52.4%, 52.8%, 59.2%.

He's not going to have 11 for 12 games every week.

He's still more accurate than EJ and his throws don't make me cringe every time he rears back to throw. You're another EJ fan I take it?

This, exactly this.

Whatever.

If EJ had started all year and we had the same won loss record and EJ has stumbled where Tyrod has, I wouldn't say he is the franchise QB in the making any more than I think Tyrod is at this point. There's a lot more to football than stats.

I don't care who the starter is as long as their good. Please don't paint me as a EJ jock sniffer. I didn't even say EJ should start. I just said I haven't given up on him.

I like Tyrod and he has done well. We just need to keep looking and keep an open mind, that's all. Saying Tyrod is the guy and going all in on him feels a lot like saying Fitz is the guy when we did and going all in on him.

I agree with the bolded.

Honestly, I don't hate him. I am very hard on him because I have witnessed a lot here anoint him,and I know that he's been underwhelming late in games. He is average/below-average. I put him and EJ in a very similar class. :w00t::w00t::w00t: Certainly not as night and day as you would believe.

Quarters Att Comp Pct Yds Avg Lng TD Int 1st 1st% 20+ Sck Rate

3rd Quarter 74 53 71.6 692 9.4 53 4 0 30 40.5 11 8 118.8

4th Quarter 91 56 61.5 747 8.2 46 7 2 29 31.9 13 9 104.1

Hot take as always.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I thought he looked pretty good yesterday. Not great - but pretty good. You can put yourself in the conversation with pretty good QB play.

Don't stop looking for a great one - but don't hamstring the rest of your roster by reaching for guys using your valuable picks. Find mid round guys you like and grab them - keep grabbing them until one sticks.

The lack of continuity is going to destroy this kid though, so it won't matter.

Quarters Att Comp Pct Yds Avg Lng TD Int 1st 1st% 20+ Sck Rate

3rd Quarter 74 53 71.6 692 9.4 53 4 0 30 40.5 11 8 118.8

4th Quarter 91 56 61.5 747 8.2 46 7 2 29 31.9 13 9 104.1

Hot take as always.

What am I looking at? Not wins. 1 for 5 for opportunities to tie or win the game late in the 4th.

He's still more accurate than EJ and his throws don't make me cringe every time he rears back to throw. You're another EJ fan I take it?

This, exactly this.

I agree with the bolded.

In EJ's 2 games this year his completion % was 66.7 and 57.1. Both better than only one of Tyrod's last 5 starts.

I don't know what you guys are seeing, I definitely think we can win games with Tyrod. Tyrod is going to be just fine. Draft a QB in this draft fine, but give Tyrod one more year.

Let me restate myself for clarity. I apologize that I was unclear.

>> I think the Bills can win games. Once they start or pass the half, that faith starts to dwindle.

In EJ's 2 games this year his completion % was 66.7 and 57.1. Both better than only one of Tyrod's last 5 starts.

EJ's also had a turnover for every touchdown he scored in those games (3 TDs, 3 INTs, 1 Rush TD, 1 Fumble Lost). In Tyrod's last 5 starts he's thrown 9 TDs to 1 INT (had 2 games with 3 TD passes, something EJ's never done) and had 1 Rushing TD and 1 Fumble Lost.

What am I looking at? Not wins. 1 for 5 for opportunities to tie or win the game late in the 4th.

Are we not counting Tennessee or Houston?

You said that he has been "underwhelming late in games." That is patently false.

66.9% completion, 1,439 yards, 13.2 yards per completion, 11 TDs, 2 INT and a rating well over 100.

You are pinning a game in which the defense gave up 35 points on the QB? That makes a lot of sense. Your agenda continues to be terrible and just flat out wrong. If you want to say that he needs to deliver the ball faster or throw to Sammy more -fine. If you want to compare him to the backup QB that has done nothing as well as him, you lose the little credibility that you have. There is not one reasonably intelligent, objective person that can look at the performance of the 2 and believe that Tyrod is not far superior. Numbers don't lie.

You said that he has been "underwhelming late in games." That is patently false.

66.9% completion, 1,439 yards, 13.2 yards per completion, 11 TDs, 2 INT and a rating well over 100.

You are pinning a game in which the defense gave up 35 points on the QB? That makes a lot of sense. Your agenda continues to be terrible and just flat out wrong. If you want to say that he needs to deliver the ball faster or throw to Sammy more -fine. If you want to compare him to the backup QB that has done nothing as well as him, you lose the little credibility that you have. There is not one reasonably intelligent, objective person that can look at the performance of the 2 and believe that Tyrod is not far superior. Numbers don't lie.

Again, you're looking at stats - not wins.

Edited by fridge