We Need A Real QB

The_Dude

The only unstable people in this thread are the ones who can't help but throw insults, and are incapable of having a discussion. We'll see how Tyrod progresses next season. I'm not holding out as much hope as you are, but we'll see.

its not hope, the guy is actually doing it on the field . the numbers are the numbers. any drafted rookie in a 'rebuilding situation' puts up the kind of numbers TT has put up, and we are "annointing the savior". but this fan base is so bruised and battered, they can't even see the forest from the trees anymore.. its all reactionary garbage, 'fire everyone', dissension at the top, blah blah. they weren't burning down the house in Pittsburgh when Vick and Jones were stinking it up in Ben's absence. Why to we do it?

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How exactly is Tyrod putting up "top 10 numbers". In total yards, he's currently 25th, 4 slots below Sam Bradford. In TDs he's 16th, right below Fannyhill. Even in the hang your hat on QB Rating he has fallen to #11.

Are we going with total stats to compare with a player who missed 2 games? Out of the 25 players who have started 10 or more games this year Tyrod is dead last at 25 in Attempts, 23 in YPG, 16 in CMP%, 16 in TDs, 2 in INT, 4 in INT%, 5 in Rating, 15 in Sacks, and 4 in YPA. Is it top 10 across the board? No, but it's better than most expected in the offseason.

Here's the query if you want a reference: PFR

Many of you people are focusing on the bread in the toaster and are not aware that the house is on fire.

QB is not the main problem now. GM and coaching are where the wheels have fallen off.

Yes, but here at TBD, it's always the bread in the toaster that starts the house on fire.

How exactly is Tyrod putting up "top 10 numbers". In total yards, he's currently 25th, 4 slots below Sam Bradford. In TDs he's 16th, right below Fannyhill. Even in the hang your hat on QB Rating he has fallen to #11.

QB rating is where I hang my hat. that's where turnovers, sacks, yds per attempt etc come in. total yards can be a misleading, low value stat (see Philip Rivers), TDs including running, he is top 10 (he's not QB sneakin em in, his rushing TDs are unique talent) , QB rating at 11 with new offense in rookie year, is outstanding by any measure. and that is his low ranking for the year in QBR i believe. Been top 10 most every week. Hard to argue with the guy after 13 pro starts. He's not prototypical, but he on one good leg is arguably after 13 starts the most talented, no turnover QB we've had in a very long time..

When did I say he was better than Cam this yr?

I'd take Tannehill, Bortles and Osweiler over TT, but wait I no nothing.

Cook, Lynch, Goff. All going first round

and your obsession with me is sad, you really need to do something with your life.

Hackenberg could go, as well. Someone will think they can develop him.

Are we going with total stats to compare with a player who missed 2 games? Out of the 25 players who have started 10 or more games this year Tyrod is dead last at 25 in Attempts, 23 in YPG, 16 in CMP%, 16 in TDs, 2 in INT, 4 in INT%, 5 in Rating, 15 in Sacks, and 4 in YPA. Is it top 10 across the board? No, but it's better than most expected in the offseason.

QBR my friend. QBR ignores offensive philosophy differences and allows you to compare TT to Rivers, for example, who plays in a wildly different offensive scheme and team situation. Some of what you quote is irrelevant and driven by play calling (attempts, TDs, YPG) . Sure, if Roman had him throwing 500+ passes, sure his attempts numbers would be higher (wow , now there's an critical stat: attempts (sigh). QBR is the only stat that even attempts to measure the the guy independant of the scheme, IMHO.

I would also disagree that Tyrod is a "natural leader". He doesn't appear that way to me at all. He seems to have more of Trent Edwards leadership style. I'm not the leader, I'm just one of the guys.

What has Tyrod done exactly to make one think he is a "natural leader" I wonder? A leader at QB elevates the play of the whole team making it greater than the sum of it's parts. I see quite the opposite about the Bills offense this year.

Plays through pain, for one. This team is filled with guys who are done in every week with strains and sprains. TT is the single tough guy on a team full of whirlpool wonders.

Don't need a first year starting QB yelling at his teammates (witness the idiotic Jameis Winston for that).

I know the goalposts tend to move a bunch when people talk about next years starting QB TT

but

That 15th in sacks...I wonder what his number was before our O Line **** the bed this last game.

Again, you're looking at stats - not wins.

Wins are a team thing

If you're looking for a limited camp rep rookie QB to carry you to 10 + wins on his own while being protected inside a run-heavy gameplan (as the D has misfired Rex's defense for the most part ), you're dreaming. Team game my friend. TT hasn't had much help from the other side of the ball. Only a half dozen skilled, experienced QBs in the league can carry a team whose defense is getting blasted. 26 teams don't have one of those. We're one of 'em. Don't net out the status of a rookie QB based on how many wins he was part of. you can start that 12-24 months from now . until then its just rings hollow to me

Hackenberg could go, as well. Someone will think they can develop him.

won't be anyone there when we draft #18 plus or minus. not a chance. lets move on from the "draft the savior" discussion, shall we? get a guy in the 4th and go from there. we have bigger needs than QB. Defensive front 7 (mario gone and kyle might be done, etc), LB, RT, etc.

Stats, wins, who cares, you can't go behind 21-0 and win consistently in the NFL. You may get away with it once and a while. The defense is part of the team. If the defense keep the team in the game as they QB is figuring things out, then you have something. Just like the defense can say, hey if the offense scored a couple time early we'd be better off. At the end of the day, who are we going to get that is going to be better? Who have we had in the past 16 years who has been better? Good luck answering those two questions.

Rothlisberger was in a hole too today. He won. Why? Because he's great. What'd Taylor do that first half of the game? He led a sputtering offense and didn't match Cousins.

Are you really comparing a 12 year vet with 2 superbowl rings to a guy who has 12 starts under his belt?

QBR my friend. QBR ignores offensive philosophy differences and allows you to compare TT to Rivers, for example, who plays in a wildly different offensive scheme and team situation. Some of what you quote is irrelevant and driven by play calling (attempts, TDs, YPG) . Sure, if Roman had him throwing 500+ passes, sure his attempts numbers would be higher (wow , now there's an critical stat: attempts (sigh). QBR is the only stat that even attempts to measure the the guy independant of the scheme, IMHO.

QBR has plenty of flaws in it as well...

Stats, wins, who cares, you can't go behind 21-0 and win consistently in the NFL. You may get away with it once and a while. The defense is part of the team. If the defense keep the team in the game as they QB is figuring things out, then you have something. Just like the defense can say, hey if the offense scored a couple time early we'd be better off. At the end of the day, who are we going to get that is going to be better? Who have we had in the past 16 years who has been better? Good luck answering those two questions.

This won't be popular, but Bledsoe was better. His combination of holding the ball too long and a bad OL was problematic, but he was by far the best since Kelly

Stats, wins, who cares, you can't go behind 21-0 and win consistently in the NFL.

The offense had the football twice resulting in ZERO points before Washington went up 21-0 and got it again right after. Would have been nice if they could have scored a few points when they had the chance. In fact, they didn't even score any points in the whole first half. It's hard to win consistently in the NFL when your offense doesn't score any points in the first half.

This won't be popular, but Bledsoe was better. His combination of holding the ball too long and a bad OL was problematic, but he was by far the best since Kelly

As was Flutie.

Tyrod has done enough to merit entering the offseason as this team's starting QB.

They should also be looking for their long-term answer at the position in the upcoming draft, as well as for a veteran backup that can play from off the bench.

Is there anyone, on this board or otherwise, that doesn't agree with BOTH of the above two statements? If so, I would like to hear your reasoning.

If you mean "draft a QB #1" if a QB with better potential than TT is available at #15 thru #20 where we will be drafting #1, sure, take him ( and Good luck with that... ). But remember, Mario will be gone and Kyle's status is who knows plus LB is a problem, plus what if Gilmore walks?

Upgrading the backup with a player who has most of what TT has would be good as well (we may already have that, though).. not sure QB is our nearly the problem it was. TT has done more than enough in his rookie season to "merit entering the offseason as this team's starting QB" (sigh..). You are always looking to upgrade every position, and I am sure they will do that.

I don't totally agree with you; my reasoning is that there won't be a strong QB available when we draft, so why blow a high pick just to get a guy? We did that with EJ, blew a #1 on a QB in a weak QB draft like the one coming up. Especially when we have a top 15 QBR QB after only his first 13 games?

Tyrod has a better qbr than Cam Newton. What do we win ?

you just made my point. thank you. been waiting for someone to say this.

while QBR is not perfect, obviously our problems lie elsewhere my friend...

wonder what Cam's QBR was in HIS first 13 games.... hmmm, bet it was way less than 101 where TT is

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

He's not a rookie.

In effect he is. It is his first year as a starter and he missed 2 games due to injury. He has had 12 starts in the league now. Still not a full season even after this year.

Not even close buddy!

Based on what, your infallible opinion? Statistics agree with me.