Revisit This

Sorry if too soon. He'd be a great politician someday.

My favorite:

"You mentioned how well we played on defense last year. You know, fourth in the league is probably a little disappointing, to be honest with you. Because that's not where my expectations are. I know we'll lead the league in defense."

- Rex Ryan, January 2015

Edited by jmc12290

Rex Ryan must go but you really have to question the Pegulas for hiring him. There's no excuse for what they did. Or are they just in it for the money that they make off of desperate Buffalo Bills fans?

:wacko:

I think Kim bought what Rex was selling, and that sealed the deal. They made some early mistakes with the Sabres, but have righted that ship. The D personnel was suited for last year's system. Bad decision indeed.

Rex Ryan must go but you really have to question the Pegulas for hiring him. There's no excuse for what they did. Or are they just in it for the money that they make off of desperate Buffalo Bills fans?

Posts like this show without a doubt that Syracuse Bills fans aren't the brightest bulbs on the tree.

;)

I remember early in my career I was critical of some hiring decisions I had seen in the company. I remember my boss telling me, "everyone makes bad hiring decisions and it'll happen to you too". And it did.

And it happened to Terry & Kim.

I think Kim bought what Rex was selling, and that sealed the deal. They made some early mistakes with the Sabres, but have righted that ship. The D personnel was suited for last year's system. Bad decision indeed.

I keep seeing this misconception and I don't understand. Last I checked, the Sabres were near dead last in the Eastern Conference.

I keep seeing this misconception and I don't understand. Last I checked, the Sabres were near dead last in the Eastern Conference.

They hired Tim Murray. Good move. A lot of talent on the team now. Murray hired a good coach. If you can't see this, then you suffer from myopia...

They are not in it for the money, as Terry said before if he wanted more money he would have stayed in gas.

Pegulas just aren't experienced enough to deal with good talkers and big egos yet, but I believe once they get used to how the NFL works they will get the right guys in here to turn this around. He did a great job getting Murray to the Sabres and he will do the same for the Bills.

I doubt the Pegula's knew how poor Rex's scheme matched our roster and how undisciplined the team would play for the entire year.

On the other hand, they definitely knew he would be a o̶i̶l̶ gold mine for season ticket sales (franchise record) and national media attention.

:doh::doh::doh:

Not a hockey guy, just see the results. Waiting on the results as well, before I decide whether Pegula's "righted the ship".

they spent two yrs tanking, it's going take time to get back and I think they are playing above expectations this yr

Not a hockey guy, just see the results. Waiting on the results as well, before I decide whether Pegula's "righted the ship".

Tim Murray took over a last place team. In hockey, bottom teams stay bad longer. That's because you are drafting 18 year olds. Most players outside the top ten take years to develop just to get to the big leagues.

They are not in it for the money, as Terry said before if he wanted more money he would have stayed in gas.

Pegulas just aren't experienced enough to deal with good talkers and big egos yet, but I believe once they get used to how the NFL works they will get the right guys in here to turn this around. He did a great job getting Murray to the Sabres and he will do the same for the Bills.

A multi-billionaire who holds business interests in natural gas development, real estate, entertainment and professional sports has little experience dealing with egos and individuals who talk a big game.... right.

He may not have the football IQ, but the hire was not due to lacking experience in dealing with a persuasive salesman.

Tim Murray took over a last place team. In hockey, bottom teams stay bad longer. That's because you are drafting 18 year olds. Most players outside the top ten take years to develop just to get to the big leagues.

should have just stopped here.

Ok. It may work out, the results aren't there yet as some posters here seem to believe. Pegula had an A+ grade with the Rex hire before it turned into a dumpster fire. Obviously hope Pegula can be a great owner for the Bills (and Sabres) for the rest of time and deliver multiple championships to WNY. But, relating the Sabres tank plan (with no results) to the Bills future success is very premature and has little basis for argument.

Edited by jmc12290

It's about wins & losses last time I checked, Sabres standing speaks for itself...but you keep drinking that Pegula punch. Talk about myopia.

yeah Jim Kelly was 4 -12 his first year, what a loser!!!

A multi-billionaire who holds business interests in natural gas development, real estate, entertainment and professional sports has little experience dealing with egos and individuals who talk a big game.... right.

He may not have the football IQ, but the hire was not due to lacking experience in dealing with a persuasive salesman.

NFL and big business aren't the same thing, just ask Dan Snyder. Pegula is no playboy like Danny and will right the ship

I hate it when my Pats fan friends are right, but every one said Rex was a hot steaming bag of BS. And let's be honest, few here, and no one in the media, though Rex was a bad hire when it happened. We all got snookered.

Pegs wanted to make a big splash and take the big chance that Ralph/the Bills were always afraid to take. In fairness, the fans were demanding it as well. Promoting Schwartz would have been the cheap, safe play. In hindsight, it would have been the right one. The defense was a juggernaut, and there was not reason to mess that up. Schwartz could have brought in someone to manage his defense.

Possibly we don't acquire/start Tyrod if this happens? Possible. Might have been just as bad a year with Matt Cassel or EJ at QB. But I'm pretty certain the defense would not have slid to the extent it has.

They hired Tim Murray. Good move. A lot of talent on the team now. Murray hired a good coach. If you can't see this, then you suffer from myopia...

Sounds just like the Bills. "Lots of talent on the team" with a horrific record. If you can't see the Pegulas have righted the ship for the Bills, then you suffer from myopia.

I hate it when my Pats fan friends are right, but every one said Rex was a hot steaming bag of BS. And let's be honest, few here, and no one in the media, though Rex was a bad hire when it happened. We all got snookered.

Yes they did. We had "We should've hired Schwartz" topics for at least a month. Don't rationalize the Pegulas mistakes by saying everyone else was also on board. They blew it. Big time. And certain folks thought he'd instill his system even though it wouldn't fit, and that the defense would take a step back. No one predicted they'd be this horrific though. I guess that's something.

Edited by FireChan

Sounds just like the Bills. "Lots of talent on the team" with a horrific record. If you can't see the Pegulas have righted the ship for the Bills, then you suffer from myopia.

Yes they did. We had "We should've hired Schwartz" topics for at least a month. Don't rationalize the Pegulas mistakes by saying everyone else was also on board. They blew it. Big time. And certain folks thought he'd instill his system even though it wouldn't fit, and that the defense would take a step back. No one predicted they'd be this horrific though. I guess that's something.

I don't think the Pegulas have righted the Bills yet. Ryan was not the right hire. They made mistakes early on with the Sabres too, but I think they've fixed it with Murray.

I don't think the Pegulas have righted the Bills yet. Ryan was not the right hire. They made mistakes early on with the Sabres too, but I think they've fixed it with Murray.

That's my point. They may have some positives, but "righting the ship" takes more than having some good draft choices who look promising. If it takes years to see it, then we don't know yet.

Many folks could and were saying Pegs had nailed the Bills and made all the right moves back in August. Now look at us.

I thought it was a bad hire, mostly because it seemed to me obvious that Schwartz would have to leave and the defense change, when the problems with last year's team were more on the offensive side of the ball. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is my motto. And I remembered that this is the same thing that happened when the Bills hired Gregg Williams, who proceeded to dismantle a fine defense Wade Phillips had built up.

Even if I liked Rex's personality (which I did not), the Bills had a good defense and lousy offense--so the Pegulas hired a HC whose supposed strength was defense? No

That's my point. They may have some positives, but "righting the ship" takes more than having some good draft choices who look promising. If it takes years to see it, then we don't know yet.

Many folks could and were saying Pegs had nailed the Bills and made all the right moves back in August. Now look at us.

You misinterpreted me then, because I'm with you on that. I was comparing how they made mistakes early with the Sabres, but eventually, I believe, got the right hire. I think Kim got sucked in by Ryan. I was one who wanted Schwartz and questioned Ryan's fit with this D.

yeah Jim Kelly was 4 -12 his first year, what a loser!!!

NFL and big business aren't the same thing, just ask Dan Snyder. Pegula is no playboy like Danny and will right the ship

You realize that the Sabres have the worst record in the NHL since the Pegulas bought the team, right? And that's not just one season. Edited by vincec

The Sabres ship is certainly righted. We are currently 2nd to last in the conference with a 14-16-4 record. That is awesome. Let's hope we get the same success with the Bills. :thumbsup:

We don't drink the kool-aide here in Syracuse. I guess people in Buffalo and Rochester do, though.

The Pegulas should have done anything to keep Doug Marrone in Buffalo. The Bills had positive momentum under Marrone. Rex Ryan was a loud mouth blowhard long before he got to Buffalo.

And the Buffalo Sabres record is horrible.

We don't drink the kool-aide here in Syracuse. I guess people in Buffalo and Rochester do, though.

The Pegulas should have done anything to keep Doug Marrone in Buffalo. The Bills had positive momentum under Marrone. Rex Ryan was a loud mouth blowhard long before he got to Buffalo.

I went to school in Syracuse...there are Giants fans, Rangers fans, and SU fans. Didn't even realize there were Bills fans...then again, it's always overcast, drizzling, and cold so it makes sense.

The main difference for the Bills last year was Schwartz. I'll give credit to Marrone for the hire, but the change in D is the reason the team was better last year. I agree with you on this year, and it's the same explanation, the D is the reason....

Re Sabres, the team is moving in the right direction under Murray. They are better than last year, and I will bet money they will be better next year.

The Pegulas truly bought the team to make money off you. They really need it to add to their billions in the bank. What a cheap shot. They were new to the game and someone put a bug in their ear, which Ryan undoubtedly amplified with his pontifications.

Pegs wanted to make a big splash and take the big chance that Ralph/the Bills were always afraid to take. In fairness, the fans were demanding it as well. Promoting Schwartz would have been the cheap, safe play. In hindsight, it would have been the right one. The defense was a juggernaut, and there was not reason to mess that up. Schwartz could have brought in someone to manage his defense.

Possibly we don't acquire/start Tyrod if this happens? Possible. Might have been just as bad a year with Matt Cassel or EJ at QB. But I'm pretty certain the defense would not have slid to the extent it has.

In hindsight Rex was a bad hire. That being said Schwartz showed nothing as a head coach in Detroit. His teams looked a lot like Rex's. Being a great defensive coordinator and great head coach are two different things. Keeping Schwartz as defensive coordinator with a different head coach may have been a good plan though.

What ignorance!

Kim and Terry sat in on all interviews. They had Rex over for a sleep over at their house to watch the Super Bowl. They're the people with the money. They don't deserve a lion share of the credit for this hire?

As I see it, it's all on them. The snake oil salesman came to town, and Kim and Terry being the NFL Country Bumpkins they are, bought it.

I didn't like the Ryan hire at the time and now we are stuck with him for at least another year. Bad decision by the Pegula's.

I do agree that the path the Sabres are on gives hope that the Bills can get going in the right direction, eventually, under Pegula management. Just pointing to the Sabres record is missing the point. That franchise now has a PLAN with a competant architect who is executing the plan. It may or may not lead to a championship as there is a lot of luck involved to get that far. But losing was the plan the last two years and now building it back up is the plan this year. Moving from dead last in 30th to 20-25th (where I think they'll end up this year) is a big step in the right direction given that they are doing it with key contributors all under 25 years old and generally locked up to longer term deals, and with a very good salary cap situation to retain and add talent later.

Whereas the Bills have a relatively older roster and no salary cap flexibility, which is due to Whaley's incompetence as a GM in that area.

The team is a tire fire and I don't see much hope for a turnaround for at least two more years, assuming a new competent GM comes in this off-season and then Rex is replaced following next year's likely follow-up debacle to this year.

Yea anyone pointing at the Sabres record saying the Pegula's have no clue what their doing with that team are being quite ignorant.

They flat out tanked for 2 years in a row to stock their talent and are only now starting to build up the team with the assets they acquired. It's not an overnight process. They are a couple of years and a few pieces from being a perennial playoff contender++.