Pettine: "Wilson not top tier."

Big Blitz

Browns coach Mike Pettine said Wednesday that he would not include Russell Wilson in the top tier of NFL quarterbacks.

"Would you put him there with the guys that can transcend their supporting cast?" Pettine asked rhetorically. "The Bradys, whether it's Aaron Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger, the ones that you would consider the two, three, four elite guys? No. But he's certainly played himself into that next tier." Pettine indicated he believes Wilson's success is a "function" of Wilson's supporting cast -- a supporting cast that this year has included one of the NFL's worst offensive lines, the loss of Jimmy Graham to a torn patellar tendon, an injury-decimated running game, and no prototype No. 1 receiver. "He plays at a high level, he's very productive and they win," Pettine continued. "Now a lot of that I think is a function, too, is he's the perfect quarterback for what they do. To me it goes both ways."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14381646/cleveland-browns-mike-pettine-consider-russell-wilson-seattle-seahawks-top-tier-quarterback

I immediately put Wilson in the Fan Duel lineup.

Wilson is one of my favorite players in the game.

I want Bevell here (and did back in January as choice #1) doing with Tyrod what he's done out there.

But I guess I'll live with the excuse machine.

Edited by Big Blitz

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Browns coach Mike Pettine said Wednesday that he would not include Russell Wilson in the top tier of NFL quarterbacks.

"Would you put him there with the guys that can transcend their supporting cast?" Pettine asked rhetorically. "The Bradys, whether it's Aaron Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger, the ones that you would consider the two, three, four elite guys? No. But he's certainly played himself into that next tier." Pettine indicated he believes Wilson's success is a "function" of Wilson's supporting cast -- a supporting cast that this year has included one of the NFL's worst offensive lines, the loss of Jimmy Graham to a torn patellar tendon, an injury-decimated running game, and no prototype No. 1 receiver. "He plays at a high level, he's very productive and they win," Pettine continued. "Now a lot of that I think is a function, too, is he's the perfect quarterback for what they do. To me it goes both ways."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14381646/cleveland-browns-mike-pettine-consider-russell-wilson-seattle-seahawks-top-tier-quarterback

I immediately put Wilson in the Dan Duel lineup.

I want Bevell here (and did back in January as choice #1) doing with Tyrod what he's done out there.

What is Dan Duel?

Pettine is wrong.

And foolish to open his mouth on the topic. Nothing to be gained, much to potentially lose. No reason to burn any bridges. Even one's you have yet to cross. (Except the bridge to Crossmanville, that should be isolated.)

Wilson in any other year would be a favorite for MVP...but he's somehow not Elite? Lol. Pettine is an idiot.

I don't get why Wilson doesn't get the credit he deserves...led the team to a SB win in his 2nd year, got them within a play of a repeat. He's had one of the greatest, and arguably the greatest, statistical start of any QB in NFL history in just about every relevant passing category. He carries a team with marginal offensive talent around him. He took Lynch from a career 3.9 YPC RB to a 4.6 YPC RB by opening up the offense. They average 5 more wins per season with him then they did before him. The D isn't what it was, Graham is out, the OL is terrible, his RB is out, yet he's tearing everyone single team up in his path and carrying that team into the playoffs literally on his back.

Again, if not for a year that has 4 very worth and legitimate MVP candidates, he would be a favorite more often than not right now for MVP. But its Cam right now, his team is undefeated, he's lost his weapons and making Ted Ginn Jr look credible despite all the balls he drops. Then there is Carson and Brady firmly in the conversation with Wilson. On a side note, if Big Ben didn't get hurt, I would suspect that Antonio Brown and Big Ben both would have had a case by seasons end...but those missed games by Big Ben ended both their shots to be in the years end conversation. This has been a crazy year with huge seasons from many players...but its Cams to lose at this point. Wilson, deservedly is right behind him along side Carson and Brady though.

I would rank them Cam, Wilson, Carson, Brady right now. The last few weeks could see that stuffle a little, but I still think Cam deservedly wins it this year. Wilson however isnt far behind and would be the front runner most years with what he's doing for Seattle.

in a game where your defense can't stop the other team, and you have no running game Russel Wilson is not the type of guy to carry a club throwing it damn near every down. Love his game but that's not him

Except thats exactly what he's doing now...the D isn't making the stops, the run game has struggled this year for consistency and has lots of injuries. He's literally carrying that team on his back using his arm. Its pretty impressive

I immediately put Wilson in the Fan Duel lineup.

Everyone has a woodie for who is at the tip of the spear- please let the madness end. Also, last I checked the kids got a SB ring

He said he's in that group from like 5-10 in the league... That seems incredibly reasonable, regardless of the word you use for him.

Agreed. I make Pettine right too. Wilson has really played well the last 4 or 5 weeks but he isn't yet in the Brady, Rodgers Big Ben class... he is getting closer but he isn't there yet.

Russell Wilson has always been underestimated. The Seahawks model has been to put most of their money in Defence. Their success with a low cost offense has been due to in large part to Wilson protecting the ball and making many plays out of broken play situations.

He is only being underestimated here if you think he is as good as Brady, Rodgers or Big Ben. Wilson is a darn good Quarterback, he is still maturing and improving but he is not in that class for me at this stage. Doesn't mean he can't end up there. His greatest strength is undoubtedly his decision making which is exceptional.