Carucci doesn't expect any offseason changes...

YoloinOhio

Give them all the reasons you like. No matter how reasonable they may be, they're either invalid or reduced to "excuses" so long as you're not simply asserting what they want to hear: that Rex Ryan is a blubbering, rubberized sausage casing filled with hot air and pictures of his wife's feet. That's the only "reason" they'll entertain for this being a disappointing season.

Hah, fair enough. One thing that I thought was interesting was when Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan before the season said we have the worst linebackers in the AFC East and the third most talented defense behind the Jets and Patriots. I thought they were crazy coming off of last year. Boy we're they right.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you. To those who blame the Bills' woes on a lack of "continuity", which coach over the last 16 years do you think was run out of town prematurely? Which guy, if given the chance, would have put the Bills over the top? Jauron? Gregggg Williams? Meat-head? Sorry, I'm not buying it. Keeping a lousy coach around for the sake of continuity is nothing more than a waste of time and opportunities, and we're running out of time here. I was a big fan of the Rex hire, but I've seen enough. He's not the guy and the sooner OBD recognizes that, the better.

Gailey? Maybe...just maybe we should have given him more time. Gaily - Shwartz may have been a very effective coaching partnership....

I don't care for coaches who come in and state, this is my system. Should have kept Swartz.

Going back to Training Camp and all of the injuries, Rochester's high humidity and improper hydration with all out drills was the major cause, lets me wonder just what kind of coaches we were getting.

Keeping 2 WRs who may be fast, but, are sitting on the sidelines, that was really smart.

The defense against New England was awesome, was never used for any of the following games.

If all of the starting Off and Def had stayed healthy, we may have gone to the Playoffs.

My opinion is Rex may be spouting Playoffs, but, is going for 2016 Draft Picks.

I'm telling it as it is unlike some people who have to find every excuse in the book to justify the disappointing defense this year.

And don't worry I don't take it that serious. I enjoy watching the games I've become more emotionally detached over the past few years so the inevitable losses don't bother me as much anymore.

There is no "how it is." If there were, this board and discussion, in general, wouldn't exist. Your perspective is not correct and neither is mine.

Sorry FireChan I don't agree with you that Rex Ryan will ever get the defense straightened out in Buffalo.

Mostly for the reason is that Rex Ryan inherited a defense in 2009 Jets team with some darn good to great players already on it, and then added some players he already knew were good from the Baltimore Ravens. Then his team got progressively worse from 9-7 to last year 4-12.

pro Bowler Shaun Ellis LDE already on the team- pro bowler Bart Scott from the Ravens- OLB Calvin Pace already on the team- S Jim Leohnard from the Ravens- pro bowler Darrelle Revis already on the team.

In his six years with the team Ryan drafted one player that has made the pro bowl, and that player was DT Sheldon Richardson in 2013. Then the man that drafted that all pro was former Jets GM John Idzik. Hey, isn't that the guy that Ryan literally cried tried to get him fired by not bringing in better DB's?

This man (Rex Ryan) isn't Pete Carroll, a man who can draft 5th rounders because they fit his player profile of tall, fast DB's so he can mold them to fit his spectacular pass defensive scheme. If the talent isn't already on the team I am highly skeptical that Rex Ryan can help find it in the draft! I also highly doubt he can mold any player to do anything that fits his systems besides rush the passer.

What Rex Ryan was noted for was his manifesto of blitzing schemes in which he has stated..."I’ll bring everybody known to man on you.” [/size]http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/09/05/the-rex-blueprints-how-the-bills-coach-throws-everything-at-opponents/

And yet this year he isn't blitzing hardly at all and now suddenly prefers to play an entirely different defensive scheme. One in which he has his DB's play ten yards off the line, and his safeties even deeper at 15 yards back or more. You know sorta like a prevent defense before either team has scored a single point. Go back, and re watch the games this year. Ryan now prefers his DT's to play a gap control system instead of rushing the passer, and this is something Bills all pro DT #3 overall pick Marcel Dareus has been complaining about since training camp.

"In another significant change, Kyle Williams often finds himself lining up outside, in a standing position, rather than inside and in a three-point stance as he was last year. He also will move laterally, in an effort to draw blockers from other defenders."[/size]

As far as Dareus is concerned, simpler is better. He has felt that since training camp, when he complained publicly about not seeing eye-to-eye with how he was being coached.[/size]

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/10/07/bills-d-line-experiencing-disconnect-with-scheme/

So Rex Ryan readied his new scheme for the Bills defense this year, and I call it new because Ryan didn't ask his DT's last season with the NY Jets to solely cover gap control as both Wilkerson (6.0) sacks, and Richardson (8.0) sacks did more then space eating, gap control. Rex Ryan himself has recently stated that his defenses have never been worse then 11th in sacks, and yet this years Bills are currently 30th. 1st to 30th, now that's a feat! That #3 overall draft pick who had 10 sacks last year, and made the pro bowl now has 2.0 sacks on the year because of Ryan's decision to not blitz as much and instead work those gaps.

So, its already 5 steps backwards this year with the defense, and we all have no idea what he plans to do next year. But I can guarantee that if Rex Ryan continues to run this passive passing scheme next season the Bills won't win many games in giving opposing QB's all day to throw.

I don't know why Rex Ryan is running this particular defensive scheme this year with all that talent on the defensive side, and even added possible DRotY in Darby! But he is, and I for one don't shiv a git as to why. I just want him out of Buffalo!!

P.S. What I really get a kick out of is the Bills fans that are here defending a man who I feel is purposely holding back, and suppressing his own players for whatever reason. It really is quite comical to read some of this stuff, and the excuses! :P

Great analysis, a clear bill of indictment. This is all The Pegs need to make the obvious decision to rid themselves of the mistake they made with Ryan.

No offense but I hate "total defense" stats. It's based on yards given up. I prefer more advanced statistics like, points per drive or percentage of drives ending in a score or average yards per drive. Some teams face more drives than others therefore they will give up more yards over the course of a season. Points per game is fine as long as its defensive points only.

As it stands right now the Bills have faced the 8th most drives against with 160 drives against. That's only 6 drives off the team that's faced the most drives. So, the Bills defense has been on the field quite a bit this year. Saying that, Points Per Drive the Bills are ranked 13th, Percentage of Drives Ending in Score they are 12th and Average Yards Per Drive they are 11th. I think this years defense is somewhere in that 11 - 13 range in terms of rankings. Last years team was in that 1 - 5 ranking.

most of the people who are driven by stats to determine everything (I am admittedly not much of a stat person as most know because they tell only a small part of the story especially when trying to draw invalid comparisons - such as year over year stats that don't involve the same players or opponents ) should at least evolve to advanced stats, with all the stat spewing they do. Football Outsiders is a good site for stat people. Bills are currently 11th in DVOA. The number of variables allow a much closer and accurate look.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2015/week-14-dvoa-ratings

In short, it would take into account situational successes and efficiency and appropriately weighting things like racking up meaningless stats vs Geno Smith and getting shredded by Philip Rivers.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't care for coaches who come in and state, this is my system. Should have kept Swartz.

Even though Schwartz literally did the same exact thing, changing from Pettine's system to his own Wide-9? :doh:

I think what you meant to say is that you dont care for coaches that come in and state this is my system, and lose. :rolleyes:

Even though Schwartz literally did the same exact thing, changing from Pettine's system to his own Wide-9? :doh:

I think what you meant to say is that you dont care for coaches that come in and state this is my system, and lose. :rolleyes:

Correct. Bills fans are furious with the change...in hindsight.

These concerns were fairly nonexistent in February.

So what? I was a big fan of the Rex hire at the time. Now I think it was a huge mistake primarily because a) he ruined a top defense, and b) he has proven to be an awful game day coach. So because I thought it was a good hire 11 months ago, I as a fan have no right to be pissed now that Rex has made a mess of things?? Please explain.

So what? I was a big fan of the Rex hire at the time. Now I think it was a huge mistake primarily because a) he ruined a top defense, and b) he has proven to be an awful game day coach. So because I thought it was a good hire 11 months ago, I as a fan have no right to be pissed now that Rex has made a mess of things?? Please explain.

Because the defense isn't "ruined." That's an over exaggeration just like him being an 'awful' game day coach, two assertions you've made which make me highly skeptical of your objectivity on the matter. There's no use explaining anything to you. You won't listen to it.

I wish you would not paint with such a broad brush. I had plenty of misgivings about Rex and his system from the moment he was hired. I thought it was stupid to hire him and insure a change of D scheme when the D was not broken, the O was broken. I wanted them to hire an offensive-minded coach and keep Schwartz on, and I said it at the time.

I even thought, idly, that the Bills would have been better off with Gailey as head coach and Schwartz as D coordinator, thought of course that was impossible.

As I've already said several times, my instinct is not to change things for change's sake. We'll see how much any of us are willing to stay the course with Rex after another season or two.

Because the defense isn't "ruined." That's an over exaggeration just like him being an 'awful' game day coach, two assertions you've made which make me highly skeptical of your objectivity on the matter. There's no use explaining anything to you. You won't listen to it.

Pot meet kettle.

:lol:

You've tried to change the subject. My question was, do you believe I have no right to be upset at Rex's handling of the team just because I approved of the hire last January? If so, what's your reasoning?

As to your new argument, how would you describe what was done to the Bills defense this year? (Ok, perhaps "gelded" is a better word than "ruined".) How would you characterize Rex's game day decision-making? Do you approve of it. Do you agree that it has cost the Bills at least one game this year?

Edited by mannc