Carucci doesn't expect any offseason changes...

YoloinOhio

So let me get this straight...

For the sake of continuity it is a bad idea for the owner to blow up the coaching staff,

but it is okay for the coaching staff to blow up the roster and bring in guys that will fit the new scheme.

Makes sense to me.... NOT

Who said anything about blowing up the roster?

You've tried to change the subject. My question was, do you believe I have no right to be upset at Rex's handling of the team just because I approved of the hire last January? If so, what's your reasoning?

As to your new argument, how would you describe what was done to the Bills defense this year? (Ok, perhaps "gelded" is a better word than "ruined".) How would you characterize Rex's game day decision-making? Do you approve of it. Do you agree that it has cost the Bills at least one game this year?

No, I don't agree that game day management cost any games this year. KC scored on six consecutive drives. Challenging a catch in the first quarter wouldn't have changed ****.

I haven't changed the subject nor my argument...for nine years on this board.

I won't tell anyone they don't have the right to be upset. But if you're pissed that he changed things, that's a bit shortsighted.

There's this very strange misconception that by saying the coach isn't solely to blame for what's happened this year, that means I'm happy with how the year turned out. Very strange indeed.

How come a decade's worth of players on two separate teams had no issues learning his scheme?

Why won't somebody address that fact?

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No official word, but all the "experts" on this forum seem to feel:

Mario, Kyle almost certainly gone.

Bradham and possible other LBs probably gone.

Robey and other smallish DBs probably gone.

etc.

It may just be the natural turnover kind of thing that happens every year, or it may be the result of finding guys that fit the perceived scheme of having big guys clog up the front while the guys on the next levels make plays.

It would be hard to change too many positions all in a single offseason, but it will be interesting to see what happens.

In my opinion, the offseason moves may be more interesting than the last three games at this point. Playing with a line-up of second and third stringers due to injuries, and needing a pretty far fetched set of circumstances to fall into place in order for the Bills to make the playoffs isn't very compelling to me. In fact, the game isn't even televised in central NY this weekend. We get the Giants game on FOX instead.

No official word, but all the "experts" on this forum seem to feel:

Mario, Kyle almost certainly gone.

Bradham and possible other LBs probably gone.

Robey and other smallish DBs probably gone.

etc.

It may just be the natural turnover kind of thing that happens every year, or it may be the result of finding guys that fit the perceived scheme of having big guys clog up the front while the guys on the next levels make plays.

It would be hard to change too many positions all in a single offseason, but it will be interesting to see what happens.

In my opinion, the offseason moves may be more interesting than the last three games at this point. Playing with a line-up of second and third stringers due to injuries, and needing a pretty far fetched set of circumstances to fall into place in order for the Bills to make the playoffs isn't very compelling to me. In fact, the game isn't even televised in central NY this weekend. We get the Giants game on FOX instead.

Mario and Kyle, yes. Bradham, may be. The rest you made up.

My brain wants to give Rex/Roman and company at least three years. Continuity is important.

My heart tells me to burn it all down.

Stick with the brain... the heart isnt much of a thinker lol

"obviously".....

When are we gona stop saying obviously... Marrone is gone... we now have to end all posts with-- and things. Lol

No, I don't agree that game day management cost any games this year. KC scored on six consecutive drives. Challenging a catch in the first quarter wouldn't have changed ****.

I haven't changed the subject nor my argument...for nine years on this board.

I won't tell anyone they don't have the right to be upset. But if you're pissed that he changed things, that's a bit shortsighted.

There's this very strange misconception that by saying the coach isn't solely to blame for what's happened this year, that means I'm happy with how the year turned out. Very strange indeed.

How come a decade's worth of players on two separate teams had no issues learning his scheme?

Why won't somebody address that fact?

I don't care that Rex changed the defensive scheme--I care that the defense got worse, along with the team's record. It's a results-oriented business and the bottom line is the bottom line. This team lost no key contributors from the defense, added a pro bowl-caliber corner through the draft, and added a ton of new talent on offense, including the best QB we have had in 15 years. The result? A team that most likely will finish a game or three worse than last year's team. That's coaching.

Edited by mannc

I'm just baffled at the defense.

How do you go from destroying QBs in 2014 and then hire a "defensive genius" to not being able to touch them?

And how does it get better? We have some of the top pass rushers in the league on our team yet Rex makes them nonexistent and the solution to improve the pass rush will be get rid of them and find players that fit the almighty Rex Ryan scheme?

You might as well just get rid of Kyle, Hughes and Mario and plug in a lot cheaper guys to take their place because the results can't be much worse.

Dareus too.... there HAS to be someone who wants to pay him. We could get like 10 mediocre players for one year of his salary. Obviously i know it doesnt work that way. But honestly... im really curious about rexs vision. And i dont mean that in a condescending way. I really want him to get guys who fit his scheme. I only could see hughes staying as a stand up lb. And i Love Kyle and Mario. Heck love Bradham too. Preston Brown... i dont think this scheme fits him. Which makes me think of Tony Steward. And maybe its just me but i feel like Lawson actually fits well.

I don't care that Rex changed the defensive scheme--I care that the defense got worse, along with the team's record. It's a results-oriented business and the bottom line is the bottom line. This team lost no key contributors from the defense, added a pro bowl-caliber corner through the draft, and added a ton of new talent on offense, including the best QB we have had in 15 years. The result? A team that most likely will finish a game or three worse than last year's team. That's coaching.

dude, come ON, that is CATEGORICALLY false.

how many times do we have to post the same damn thing:

Spikes, gone

Searcy, gone

AWilliams, injured week 2

KWilliams, missed the last 10 games

Bradham's been out

@ChrisTrapasso

Perspective: In 2014: #Bills D starters missed total of 13 games due to injury. In 2015 thru Week 14: #Bills D starters have missed 29 games
People keep saying defensive personnel is a carbon copy from 2014, that's simply not true. So if that's what your argument is based on, it tells me everything i need to know.

I think it's relatively straight forward. Age, Injury, Guys getting paid, attitudes about the scheme, pressure of getting paid and Rex's system early on. I'm not buying the later as a good excuse though. Coach should be able to adjust to the players.

Im really interested in why he went back after the NE game. That was the freaking blueprint. That was how we want to play.. i thought

Half this board wanted to discount the team's last win against the P*ts because the scrubs played -- so, with that logic, there's still a chance this team equals the amount of wins in Marrone's second season. Of course, Rex has already tied Marrone's first season win total...

/devilsadvocate

Firing Rex Ryan would be monumentally stupid.

Firing Rex Ryan would make the 2016 coach the fourth Bills HC since 2010. The Steelers will be on their fourth coach since 1966.

Do Bills fans not understand the correlation between continuity and consistency?

In fact, let's look at the top teams in the NFL and how far back you have to go to count four different coaching regimes. Again, with the Bills, you need only go to 2010. Green Bay ('92), New England ('91), Cincinnati ('92), Carolina, only four HC in the entire history of the franchise (dating back to '95), Denver ('95).

So yeah, let's just keep doing the one thing we HAVE been doing: cycling through coaches like toilet paper. It's never worked for us, and it's something successful teams don't do.

When Pettine gets fired he needs to beg him to come back. Figure out how to get a B Spikes run stopper and let the boys fly around the field. I can sacrifice some ground yardage if we can find a way to not get gashed on the ground at the same time get off the field on 3rd down.

lost no key contributors? You sure about that? 5 starters and a rotational Dlineman

Spikes, gone

Searcy, gone

Bradham's been out

@ChrisTrapasso

Perspective: In 2014: #Bills D starters missed total of 13 games due to injury. In 2015 thru Week 14: #Bills D starters have missed 29 games
People keep saying defensive personnel is a carbon copy from 2014, that's simply not true. So if that's what your argument is based on, it tells me everything i need to know.

It's also worth noting that Trapasso's number doesn't count IR'd Gilmore and AWilliams and KWilliams, so make that six more, and go ahead and add-in Bradham for this Sunday. That puts us at 36 missed starts for the defense, which is inching dangerously close to THREE TIMES AS MANY MISSED DEFENSIVE STARTS COMPARED TO LAST YEAR.

Please stop arguing that Rex ruined the defense from last year and we know this because the personnel is identical.

No offense but I hate "total defense" stats. It's based on yards given up. I prefer more advanced statistics like, points per drive or percentage of drives ending in a score or average yards per drive. Some teams face more drives than others therefore they will give up more yards over the course of a season. Points per game is fine as long as its defensive points only.

As it stands right now the Bills have faced the 8th most drives against with 160 drives against. That's only 6 drives off the team that's faced the most drives. So, the Bills defense has been on the field quite a bit this year. Saying that, Points Per Drive the Bills are ranked 13th, Percentage of Drives Ending in Score they are 12th and Average Yards Per Drive they are 11th. I think this years defense is somewhere in that 11 - 13 range in terms of rankings. Last years team was in that 1 - 5 ranking.

No offense but I hate the fact that the Bills went from Number One in the NFL in sacks to now thirtieth. Yea, that's right from 1st to an astounding now 30th! Those stats come with consequences either good if doing the sacking or bad if getting sacked.

I'm really very amazed that this years defense is only ranked 20th in total defense, and then 14th against the run with all the gap control they utilize. It really is a tribute to the Buffalo Bills player talent on the defense that they are only ranked 22nd against the pass considering how little pressure they get on the QB. How spectacular is Ronald Darby as a rookie to be starting and playing so well in such a bad scheme.

Its seriously laughable anyone here is lauding or defending the 2015 Bills stats when they near the worst defense in the NFL in sacks, and yet have 250 million in their front four. This is like last year when fans defended the near worst offensive line in the NFL, and yet three of the five players on the O line were scrubs. This D line had three pro bowlers on it, and the fourth guy was such a pass rush terror last season that he should have gone too.

So many positive things can happen for a defense when it can apply pressure on the opposing QB, and conversely it gives that opposing QB all day to throw with little or no pressure. Allow me to remind everyone that the Bills currently have only 19 sacks with three games to go. 19 sacks, really? My god, no wonder it looks like opposing QB's have all day to throw every game... because they do.

Even Dave Wannstadt wasn't this bad in sacks, as his team finished with 36 sacks. George Edwards under Chan Gailey even had more sacks with 27 in 2010, and 29 in 2011, and that was without Dareus in 2010, and without Mario Williams, and Jerry Hughes in 2011!

Its not the injuries, its not the players, its 100% the scheme!

Spikes, gone

Searcy, gone

Bradham's been out

@ChrisTrapasso

And the year before prognosticators were sure Schwartz's defense would decline from Pettine's because they lost Alonzo for the season and Jairus Byrd, who led the team in interceptions, to New Orleans. But they got better under Schwartz.

You can't convince me the decline across the board in the Bills defense is solely because of injuries. They've been less than the 2014 squad since day one of this season.

Then why are we below .500?

Its a simple question, lacking a simple answer. and those that seek a definitive reason shall remain unlikely to leave here satisfied.

with REX in 2016 say hello to 5-11 again

good at calculus i bet?

Wonder if el Pegul thinks the same.

And the year before prognosticators were sure Schwartz's defense would decline from Pettine's because they lost Alonzo for the season and Jairus Byrd, who led the team in interceptions, to New Orleans. But they got better under Schwartz.

You can't convince me the decline across the board in the Bills defense is solely because of injuries. They've been less than the 2014 squad since day one of this season.

I'm not saying that injuries are the sole cause. I'm countering the notion that coaching is the sole cause.

Simply remind them to re watch that first Patriots game, and then re watch the second game. Two drastically different schemes all game long with two drastically different results.

That first game is mostly what we have seen all year with Ryan's scheme in that the defense was in a soft 10 yards off the ball pass cover scheme with almost no blitzing. Aaron Williams, Kyle Williams, and Mario Williams all played in that first game, and the defense still allowed a franchise worst 466 yards passing to Brady.

"Rex Ryan, Dennis Thurman and defensive coaching staff: Ryan told his team that this loss was on his shoulders, and so he's a natural place to start in the "down" column. Ryan's defensive game plan couldn't put pressure on Tom Brady-- the Bills disrupted (a sack, batted ball, passed defense or interception) only 9.8 percent of Brady's dropbacks, a lower rate than in any of the Bills' 2014 games -- and he never seemed to have an effective plan for stopping either Rob Gronkowski or Julian Edelman."

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/21042/bills-breakdowns-vs-patriots-start-with-rex-ryan-defensive-staff

The second game was a totally different story as the Bills were able to put pressure on Brady to the tune of 20 of his 40 drop backs, that's 50% vs 9.8%. The reason being is the Bills played up on the line, and stacked the box. The Bills rushed 6 or more all game long it seemed. The Bills brought so much pressure on Brady, and so much so that he was literally screaming at his offensive linemen. That last game the Bills managed to take Gronk right out of the game, and he only had 2 receptions for 37 yards! The Bills also held the Patriots high scoring offense to the lowest point total for the year in 20 points.

The Bills managed to do this without Aaron Williams, without Mario Williams, without Kyle Williams. Its not injuries, its not the players, its 100% the scheme! JMO