Carucci doesn't expect any offseason changes...

YoloinOhio

You insinuated that the way the Jets crumbled during Rex's time was an argument against continuity.

I said that was way over simplified. I noted the GM change (when the wheels totally came off) and the cycle of OC's and QB's he had.

You then said he was to blame for those offenses.

I countered by saying he found a way to get it right in Buffalo and provided the evidence that in year one they out performed--by far--anything he did in NYJ. And now you're asking how that's relevant, so here I am explaining why.

Okay, that's true, RR found a way to get the offensive side of the ball right. But yet, it's not enough.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about only the fans enduring the Drought. Whaley has had 6 off seasons contributing to the drought. The Bills most expensive player Mario Williams has been here for many year now, and may be done with the team.

Whaley has been here for only one off season with the current owners, who (no offense to Ralph) operate very differently in terms of spending on players and coaches, giving Whaley much more room to operate. Conversely, it gives him that much more rope so to speak.

Interesting thread. I get the continuity argument, but I think there's enough evidence right now to acknowledge that the Rex hire was a mistake. Let's assume for the moment that Rex will be retained for another year. What are the criteria for success next year? If the Bills make it 17 and counting after 2016, is Rex retained for a 3rd season for the sake of continuity? For those of you advocating continuity, at what point do you decide to cut bait on Rex? 18 and counting, 19 and counting? Clearly if the Bills make the playoffs in 2016, then you will be proven correct, and I'll eat the crow. I'm just not feeling it on Rex, and I'm wondering what you need to see to get to where I am?

Okay. When the offense struggled early in DM's tenure, folks said it was one year.

I don't think it's too much to expect out of this defense to be good every single year. Do you?

Expect? no....hope....yes

I have absolutely nothing to base this on....but I expect this defense to be much better by next year with year and a training camp to digest Rex schemes

Interesting thread. I get the continuity argument, but I think there's enough evidence right now to acknowledge that the Rex hire was a mistake. Let's assume for the moment that Rex will be retained for another year. What are the criteria for success next year? If the Bills make it 17 and counting after 2016, is Rex retained for a 3rd season for the sake of continuity? For those of you advocating continuity, at what point do you decide to cut bait on Rex? 18 and counting, 19 and counting? Clearly if the Bills make the playoffs in 2016, then you will be proven correct, and I'll eat the crow. I'm just not feeling it on Rex, and I'm wondering what you need to see to get to where I am?

Well, in fairness to that crowd, Rex has hired his first moderately competent OC in, well, 6 years. And he has produced some darn good defenses throughout most of his career.

Rex will get the defense straightened out, IMO. The only problem (and it is a huge problem) is that Rex will get the D fixed by making personnel changes. The loss of our Pro-Bowl caliber 4-3 personnel will happen. Will we ever seen a defense the caliber of the 2014 season? I doubt it. But we will be decent to good again. Good enough to maintain a playoff and Superbowl window? That remains to be seen. The modern NFL doesn't allow for those windows to last long, no matter how good of a HC/DC we have. Our playmakers will age, or get figured out. We will lose FAs. Players that would be improvements to the team will be lost to FA. I see us backing into a playoff spot in the next 2 years, getting bounced, then suffering a couple 7-9/8-8/6-10 seasons, then another regime change in our future. Maybe that's progress. Maybe not.

A step forward, 2 back, and then some side-stepping. A hallowed Bills tradition.

Expect? no....hope....yes

I have absolutely nothing to base this on....but I expect this defense to be much better by next year with year and a training camp to digest Rex schemes

Yes it will be better. Because we'll get rid of the players that don't fit, and hopefully find a few that do. We won't draft/sign 2 Pro-Bowlers.

And maybe I have higher expectations, but a drop from #3 to #20 is unacceptable. Point blank.

Edited by FireChan

Well, in fairness to that crowd, Rex has hired his first moderately competent OC in, well, 6 years. And he has produced some darn good defenses throughout most of his career.

Rex will get the defense straightened out, IMO. The only problem (and it is a huge problem) is that Rex will get the D fixed by making personnel changes. The loss of our Pro-Bowl caliber 4-3 personnel will happen. Will we ever seen a defense the caliber of the 2014 season? I doubt it. But we will be decent to good again. Good enough to maintain a playoff and Superbowl window? That remains to be seen. The modern NFL doesn't allow for those windows to last long, no matter how good of a HC/DC we have. Our playmakers will age, or get figured out. We will lose FAs. Players that would be improvements to the team will be lost to FA. I see us backing into a playoff spot in the next 2 years, getting bounced, then suffering a couple 7-9/8-8/6-10 seasons, then another regime change in our future. Maybe that's progress. Maybe not.

A step forward, 2 back, and then some side-stepping. A hallowed Bills tradition.

Yes it will be better. Because we'll get rid of the players that don't fit, and hopefully find a few that do. We won't draft/sign 2 Pro-Bowlers.

And maybe I have higher expectations, but a drop from #3 to #20 is unacceptable. Point blank.

I am not disagreeing with this

I don't get it. Why does anyone think continuity is everything? Particularly, continuity in a staff (RR/DT) that has destroyed this defense.

Help me understand your logic. Please.

Rex is going to be retained so he can release an All-pro DL. That can't learn his "scheme".

He is going to replace the best Defensive line in the league with his type of players that he thinks are going to learn his complicated scheme.

Sooooooo how long will this take, hmmmmm? Sounds to me like old Rexy is blowing it up and doing a rebuild his second year.

I thought that good coaches maximize their players abilities and utilize them accordingly. Instead, this Bozo makes no adjustments all year and when he misses his playoff playoff guarantee. The clown says it must be the coaching.

I got it now. Yup. Great plan. Continuity at its finest.

someone please get me some popcorn, I want to watch this freaking circus.

We know who clown is.

I like that Rex Ryan has been consistently successful in the NFL since most of our players were in high school. I like that he's had success as a head coach. I like that he's not a micro-managing hardass like Marrone. I like that he doesn't coach from the podium (seriously, Bills fans need to accept this very basic fact). I like that our players love him and want to play hard for him. I like that he identified Tyrod long ago and once he finally got his hands on him, knew enough to know what he didn't know and let his OC do his thing without interference. I like that--in spite of highly visible mistakes against KC--he's very good at challenging and making in-game decisions. I like that he knows what he's all about and wont--to the chagrin of Bills fans everywhere--change. The man knows what he's doing. Players will be added and set free to run the systems he wants to run, and I have full confidence that if Tyrod, Sammy and Shady can stay healthy for 12+ games in 2016 and that if it clicks with the defense between now and September, 11-5 is a very reasonable expectation next year.

See I think almost the opposite on all of the above - I think his defensive scheme might be slightly outdated when I look at the rest of the league, I think for someone who has inherited two winning teams as a Head Coach his lack of success is startling (he will be 5 years without a winning season unless we win out), I think his players coach mentality has led to a lack of accountability which is directly responsible for some of the indiscipline on the field, I am not sure I see players playing hard for him with one or two exceptions and I don't think he makes good in-game decisions.

What we can be thankful for? Tyrod - certainly; Roman - a big upgrade on Hackett; that he desperately wants to be here (and be a success here - I don't doubt the man's sincerity for a moment).

I just don't think that is enough. I respect your opinion and if I shared your assessment of Rex then I would be all for continuity and not spinning wheels. As I keep saying - stamping my feet and demanding change one year into a regime is against my nature. I just don't share your outlook on where I see this team is headed. At the moment next season terrifies me if I am being totally frank with you.

Sorry FireChan I don't agree with you that Rex Ryan will ever get the defense straightened out in Buffalo.

Mostly for the reason is that Rex Ryan inherited a defense in 2009 Jets team with some darn good to great players already on it, and then added some players he already knew were good from the Baltimore Ravens. Then his team got progressively worse from 9-7 to last year 4-12.

pro Bowler Shaun Ellis LDE already on the team- pro bowler Bart Scott from the Ravens- OLB Calvin Pace already on the team- S Jim Leohnard from the Ravens- pro bowler Darrelle Revis already on the team.

In his six years with the team Ryan drafted one player that has made the pro bowl, and that player was DT Sheldon Richardson in 2013. Then the man that drafted that all pro was former Jets GM John Idzik. Hey, isn't that the guy that Ryan literally cried tried to get him fired by not bringing in better DB's?

This man (Rex Ryan) isn't Pete Carroll, a man who can draft 5th rounders because they fit his player profile of tall, fast DB's so he can mold them to fit his spectacular pass defensive scheme. If the talent isn't already on the team I am highly skeptical that Rex Ryan can help find it in the draft! I also highly doubt he can mold any player to do anything that fits his systems besides rush the passer.

What Rex Ryan was noted for was his manifesto of blitzing schemes in which he has stated..."I’ll bring everybody known to man on you.” http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/09/05/the-rex-blueprints-how-the-bills-coach-throws-everything-at-opponents/

And yet this year he isn't blitzing hardly at all and now suddenly prefers to play an entirely different defensive scheme. One in which he has his DB's play ten yards off the line, and his safeties even deeper at 15 yards back or more. You know sorta like a prevent defense before either team has scored a single point. Go back, and re watch the games this year. Ryan now prefers his DT's to play a gap control system instead of rushing the passer, and this is something Bills all pro DT #3 overall pick Marcel Dareus has been complaining about since training camp.

"In another significant change, Kyle Williams often finds himself lining up outside, in a standing position, rather than inside and in a three-point stance as he was last year. He also will move laterally, in an effort to draw blockers from other defenders."

As far as Dareus is concerned, simpler is better. He has felt that since training camp, when he complained publicly about not seeing eye-to-eye with how he was being coached.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/10/07/bills-d-line-experiencing-disconnect-with-scheme/

So Rex Ryan readied his new scheme for the Bills defense this year, and I call it new because Ryan didn't ask his DT's last season with the NY Jets to solely cover gap control as both Wilkerson (6.0) sacks, and Richardson (8.0) sacks did more then space eating, gap control. Rex Ryan himself has recently stated that his defenses have never been worse then 11th in sacks, and yet this years Bills are currently 30th. 1st to 30th, now that's a feat! That #3 overall draft pick who had 10 sacks last year, and made the pro bowl now has 2.0 sacks on the year because of Ryan's decision to not blitz as much and instead work those gaps.

So, its already 5 steps backwards this year with the defense, and we all have no idea what he plans to do next year. But I can guarantee that if Rex Ryan continues to run this passive passing scheme next season the Bills won't win many games in giving opposing QB's all day to throw.

I don't know why Rex Ryan is running this particular defensive scheme this year with all that talent on the defensive side, and even added possible DRotY in Darby! But he is, and I for one don't shiv a git as to why. I just want him out of Buffalo!!

P.S. What I really get a kick out of is the Bills fans that are here defending a man who I feel is purposely holding back, and suppressing his own players for whatever reason. It really is quite comical to read some of this stuff, and the excuses! :P

Edited by Nihilarian

We've seen Rex have defensive success in the past, there's no reason to think he won't in the future. It could just be we need different players that fit his scheming better.

Which is annoying, because we had the perfect defensive scheme for our players last year, but I guess that's football.

with all of the players out for most or all of the year, there is no way to know that scheme, which was effective in some but nowhere near all games last year, would have been as successful this year. Different opponents, and they didn't beat anyone last year that they didn't beat this year. In fact they won two games this year they didn't beat last year - Miami part 2 and Houston. The defense was ranked higher last year but when you look more closely, they were unusually healthy for most of the year, we are missing close to half the players we had last year, and they and fell apart in the biggest AFC games that we needed for playoff contention in 2014. I didn't mind the scheme Schwartz had but the results that actually matter are overrated because of stats racked up.

I believe the current D has a ways to go but I don't think last year's D was "playoff worthy" or that if the scheme was the same this year it would have added any wins.

Edited by YoloinOhio

um yes, that is pretty accurate. It does provide a lot of laughs though. For example, in the Seantrel thread someone surmised that his Chrones disease could be linked to anxiety and did he have it before Rex? (Because if not... #blamerex)

Hey Yolo- I know it wasn't you so copied something on Crohn's, but anxiety and stress can only exacerbate the condition, it is not a cause. i have two family members who have IBD, one with Crohn's and one with Ulcerative Colitis. I'm in the medical field and specialized in GI for a few years so wanted to give people some perspective. If Seantrel has been dx with Crohn's, I'm sorry to hear that, and will be hard for him to play in the NFL. It is a tough condition, but can be managed.

The causes of Crohn’s Disease are not well understood. Diet and stress may aggravate Crohn’s Disease, but they do not cause the disease on their own. Recent research suggests hereditary, genetics, and/or environmental factors contribute to the development of Crohn’s Disease.

The GI tract normally contains harmless bacteria, many of which aid in digestion. The immune system usually attacks and kills foreign invaders, such as bacteria, viruses, fungi, and other microorganisms. Under normal circumstances, the harmless bacteria in the intestines are protected from such an attack. In people with IBD, these bacteria are mistaken for harmful invaders and the immune system mounts a response. Cells travel out of the blood to the intestines and produce inflammation (a normal immune system response). However, the inflammation does not subside, leading to chronic inflammation, ulceration, thickening of the intestinal wall, and eventually causing patient symptoms.

Crohn’s tends to run in families, so if you or a close relative have the disease, your family members have a significantly increased chance of developing Crohn’s. Studies have shown that 5% to 20% of affected individuals have a first – degree relative (parents, child, or sibling) with one of the diseases. The risk is greater with Crohn’s disease than ulcerative colitis. The risk is also substantially higher when both parents have IBD. The disease is most common among people of eastern European backgrounds, including Jews of European descent. In recent years, an increasing number of cases have been reported among African American populations.

with all of the players out for most or all of the year, there is no way to know that scheme, which was effective in some but nowhere near all games last year, would have been as successful this year. Different opponents, and they didn't beat anyone last year that they didn't beat this year. In fact they won two games this year they didn't beat last year - Miami part 2 and Houston. The defense was ranked higher last year but when you look more closely, they were unusually healthy for most of the year, we are missing close to half the players we had last year, and they and fell apart in the biggest AFC games that we needed for playoff contention in 2014. I didn't mind the scheme Schwartz had but the results that actually matter are overrated because of stats racked up.

I believe the current D has a ways to go but I don't think last year's D was "playoff worthy" or that if the scheme was the same this year it would have added any wins.

This.

And I'll say it again, everyone points to the Denver game as some amazing game that the Bills defense "shut down" Peyton Manning. Peyton may have not had a great game, but the rest of the Denver offense was just fine. The Bills defense forced a 3 and out on their first possession, then let them score on their next drive. Two drives later they scored again and they were driving before the half but the TE fumbled on the 10 yard line. Thats ok because Denver got the ball at the half and drove down the field on their first possession to score a TD. 21-3 at the beginning of the 3rd quarter.

Never mind that even if they did shut down Peyton, they still didn't win the game.

Look at where the majority of the sacks came from. NYJ(x2) and Miami(x2) accounted for 20 sacks alone. When they needed to beat teams, like Oakland or Denver or San Diego or even Miami the 2nd time, they came up short.

Last years defense was good at times but had it's bad moments as well and seemed to come up short when the Bills really needed them.

I don't get it. Why does anyone think continuity is everything? Particularly, continuity in a staff (RR/DT) that has destroyed this defense.

Help me understand your logic. Please.

Rex is going to be retained so he can release an All-pro DL. That can't learn his "scheme".

He is going to replace the best Defensive line in the league with his type of players that he thinks are going to learn his complicated scheme.

Sooooooo how long will this take, hmmmmm? Sounds to me like old Rexy is blowing it up and doing a rebuild his second year.

I thought that good coaches maximize their players abilities and utilize them accordingly. Instead, this Bozo makes no adjustments all year and when he misses his playoff playoff guarantee. The clown says it must be the coaching.

I got it now. Yup. Great plan. Continuity at its finest.

someone please get me some popcorn, I want to watch this freaking circus.

We know who clown is.

Continuity is important. Teams that change coaches/schemes/quarterbacks every year are generally not successful. But ...

... it is also important to understand your team's talent level. Objectively, I see nothing that separates the Bills' talent from the pack. For the AFC East, that means the Jets and yes, the Dolphins. For the AFC in general, that means the Chiefs, Raiders, Ravens, Jags, Titans (those last two teams clearly on the way up), Chargers (killed by injuries this year), Texans ... hey, I just listed the entire AFC except the Browns (and watch out, don't be so sure they don't pass us in a year or two) and the teams with clearly superior talent (Broncos, Steelers, umm, Pats). So saying "we're standing pat, a couple minor tweaks here and there" is basically saying this: "Maybe we'll be the team next year where everything falls into place; minimal injuries, lots of luck, a few of our opponents who appear stronger on paper have down seasons." There's cause for some optimism since this is not a bad team. But be honest: what separates this team from the pack? The standard answer used to be "a dominant defensive line." Nobody's saying that anymore. We're ordinary. So the strategy for breaking the playoff drought is "every year things break right for a couple ordinary teams; maybe 2016 will be our turn." This usually works better when you can steal a weak division. Even if the Pats finally fall back to the pack, we'd still have to get past 2 other teams with similar talent levels. Color me unimpressed.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

I'm sorry this is complete rot. Last year's defense was streets ahead of this year's. It isn't even close.

It is almost comical isn't it? Yeah, that last years defense was so overrated, and just not very good. Even though they finished #4 in yards, points, and in total defense.

Going from 1st in the NFL in sacks in 2014 where the Bills defense terrorized opposing QB's to now giving them all day to throw in 30th in sacks.

• 2) Buffalo Bills' defensive line

If Jim Schwartz was able to help the Bills' defensive line terrorize opponents without heavy blitzing, imagine how much chaos this D will create with blitz master Rex Ryan at the controls. Ryan's high-pressure tactics will produce more one-on-one chances for Mario Williams and Jerry Hughes on the edges, with linebackers and defensive backs joining the pass rush as fifth and sixth defenders at the point of attack. Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus are imposing defenders on the interior with the capacity to blow up runs or disrupt passing games with frenetic playing styles. Dareus, in particular, is a dominating force -- with 28.5 sacks in four seasons, including 10 in 2014. Considering the success the Bills' front line enjoyed under Ryan protégé Mike Pettine in 2013 (the unit accounted for 41 of the Bills' AFC-high 57 sacks), the return to a hybrid scheme should keep the group playing at a high level this season.

To now 20th in the NFL in total defense, 30th in sacks.
Edited by Nihilarian

See I think almost the opposite on all of the above - I think his defensive scheme might be slightly outdated when I look at the rest of the league, I think for someone who has inherited two winning teams as a Head Coach his lack of success is startling (he will be 5 years without a winning season unless we win out), I think his players coach mentality has led to a lack of accountability which is directly responsible for some of the indiscipline on the field, I am not sure I see players playing hard for him with one or two exceptions and I don't think he makes good in-game decisions.

What we can be thankful for? Tyrod - certainly; Roman - a big upgrade on Hackett; that he desperately wants to be here (and be a success here - I don't doubt the man's sincerity for a moment).

I just don't think that is enough. I respect your opinion and if I shared your assessment of Rex then I would be all for continuity and not spinning wheels. As I keep saying - stamping my feet and demanding change one year into a regime is against my nature. I just don't share your outlook on where I see this team is headed. At the moment next season terrifies me if I am being totally frank with you.

I agree 100% with your post. But Big Cat is all in on Rex. We'll see how he does once he's purged the front seven and gets his own kind of players. I don't see how that is going to remedy the lack of accountability and discipline, and I am skeptical his defense next year is going to rise to the level of the defense he destroyed pretty much single handedly (with some help from injuries, to be sure).

It is almost comical isn't it? Yeah, that last years defense was so overrated, and just not very good. Even though they finished #4 in yards, points, and in total defense.

Going from 1st in the NFL in sacks in 2014 where the Bills defense terrorized opposing QB's to now giving them all day to throw in 30th in sacks.

• 2) Buffalo Bills' defensive line

If Jim Schwartz was able to help the Bills' defensive line terrorize opponents without heavy blitzing, imagine how much chaos this D will create with blitz master Rex Ryan at the controls. Ryan's high-pressure tactics will produce more one-on-one chances for Mario Williams and Jerry Hughes on the edges, with linebackers and defensive backs joining the pass rush as fifth and sixth defenders at the point of attack. Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus are imposing defenders on the interior with the capacity to blow up runs or disrupt passing games with frenetic playing styles. Dareus, in particular, is a dominating force -- with 28.5 sacks in four seasons, including 10 in 2014. Considering the success the Bills' front line enjoyed under Ryan protégé Mike Pettine in 2013 (the unit accounted for 41 of the Bills' AFC-high 57 sacks), the return to a hybrid scheme should keep the group playing at a high level this season.

To now 20th in the NFL in total defense, 30th in sacks.

No offense but I hate "total defense" stats. It's based on yards given up. I prefer more advanced statistics like, points per drive or percentage of drives ending in a score or average yards per drive. Some teams face more drives than others therefore they will give up more yards over the course of a season. Points per game is fine as long as its defensive points only.

As it stands right now the Bills have faced the 8th most drives against with 160 drives against. That's only 6 drives off the team that's faced the most drives. So, the Bills defense has been on the field quite a bit this year. Saying that, Points Per Drive the Bills are ranked 13th, Percentage of Drives Ending in Score they are 12th and Average Yards Per Drive they are 11th. I think this years defense is somewhere in that 11 - 13 range in terms of rankings. Last years team was in that 1 - 5 ranking.