Carucci doesn't expect any offseason changes...

YoloinOhio

Good luck trying to sell fans on another year of the Rex Ryan show. His defensive genius knows no bounds. All of the sychophants that say he needs to stay, all in the name of "continuity", should enjoy watching the bloviating gasbag rip apart what was once (just last year) an extremely good defensive unit.That's what we call "upheaval"- and it flies in the face of "continuity". And after this snake oil salesman guides the Bills to yet another non-playoff season in 2016, what then? There will be some who will advocate for a third year. Meanwhile,the team that fired this podophiliac is on the cusp of a playoff berth; and their defense is exponentially better without windbag Rex than it was with him. God it sucks being a Bills fan!

You can obviously find another team

(but your avitar can stay...:)

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Bills fans don't want to hear this, but I don't think we'll know that for sure until this time two years from now.

On that point, I think we'll probably have to agree to disagree.

We will. For what it is worth I have never wanted a coach out after 1 year before - because I have always taken the view that we don't know. I honestly believe I do know on Rex. I hope to goodness I am wrong because he is staying. But I really, really don't think I am. If I had any doubt in my own mind I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

The people clamoring for change are being ridiculous. We need stability and continuity to begin to go anywhere. We finally have ownership willing to make this happen and people want instant change. I have been furious at various times this year and still am at everything from schemes to stupidity but i cannot endorse starting over-

We are on the right track and need to stay the course with this group- tweaking some things? yes- tweaking personnel? yes-

wholesale change? NO

I know I have recently just went on record to can Rex but the more I think about it we have no choice but for him to stay at least for 2 more seasons.

Rex didn't forget how to coach overnight but my biggest issue still remains the same.

We signed Hughes and Darius to nice deals based in part upon their production running a 4-3 defense. It turns my stomach when I hear we need to add pieces for the scheme when we all ready had all the pieces to run a 4-3.

Mario Williams may be 30+ but he still has lots left on the tank. He will most likely go somewhere like Carolina and feast.

We made our bed with Rex so we have to lie in it. Hopefully he will hire a in game manager and tone down on the loud talk

Edited by Protocal69

That's a bad analogy, as it in no way correlates to this discussion. It's merely an abstract statement that in no way supports your statement.

I also have no idea why you think that they aren't bringing in guys that fit the philosophy they're trying to build.

They wanted to be a run-first team, so they brought in Incognito, Shady, Karlos, and a QB that they felt could manage the game and make some plays downfield, along with a big target in Clay.

They wanted to run Rex's scheme, which is heavily based on using corners in man coverage, so they brought in Darby to play alongside Gilmore.

What it seems you're actually upset with is that the defensive players on hand don't fit the defensive scheme; that's not on management. That's on the coach to craft a scheme that fits his players. It seems that Rex felt that most of the guys could take to the scheme; as we've seen with the safeties and LBs, that's not the case. Thus, they're forced to cut ties with some guys and find others.

I know your schtick is to defend OBD at all costs. Never blame the management, only the moving parts they decide on.

But you conveniently missed my point in the thread about coordinating the RB in a run first offense with the OL. You know well that they've prioritized featuring a bigger OL with tackles like Glenn and Henderson, then filling in with Incognito. Wood is a bigger center. And in theory that fits with a power-run scheme because they're run blockers first. Except they then went and traded for McCoy, who is a shifty type back that tries to make guys miss. He fits a zone-blocking scheme with more agile OL, which they don't have. Ironically, the guy more suited to that scheme and personnel is a 1 cut type like Karlos Williams, who unfortunately can't stay on the field. He cost them a 5th. McCoy cost them a former 2nd rounder and 26M guaranteed.

This more than illustrates how everything needs to be aligned. But it's not. You don't go 6 years of rebuilding with a guy intimately involved in personnel and expect him to get it right all of a sudden.

I get the continuity argument and it would be foolish/stupid to just dump Rex now.

What they need to do and have needed since forever... is to install someone at the top of the pyramid who knows how to build a winning football program from the top down. Change the thing and start over as a 'new' franchise. The Bills are broken. Had an aberration of about 6-8 years where they were good. Other than that, loser organization who needs someone to show them how to win. All the inventive ways they have lost games over the years is not a coincidence or a curse and it will keep happening.

The current course with a GM and coach who each report to the green owners and head coach who is loud, below .500, and instills a culture where players aren't accountable and can run their mouths, get stupid penalties, etc.... is doomed to fall apart worse than now. Winning in this league is done with business, not emotion. You need to be in control and do the homework during the offseason/week.

Don't fire Whaley. Don't gut the roster of fine players just because they don't fit Rex's scheme. Fire Rex.

Don't fire Whaley. Don't gut the roster of fine players just because they don't fit Rex's scheme. Fire Rex.

I'm for bringing someone in with everything in place and let him make any changes they see fit.... or keep anything the same. The organization just needs eyes and a revamp.

Its going to happen... the problem is, I think we are going to have to wait this current structure out a few years. Kind of like what Pegula did with the Sabres

The people clamoring for change are being ridiculous. We need stability and continuity to begin to go anywhere. We finally have ownership willing to make this happen and people want instant change. I have been furious at various times this year and still am at everything from schemes to stupidity but i cannot endorse starting over-

We are on the right track and need to stay the course with this group- tweaking some things? yes- tweaking personnel? yes-

wholesale change? NO

Rex is on the right track, when he is the one responsible for those schemes and stupidity you complain about?

I don't want wholesale change. Keep Roman, for instance. Keep the players who were fine on D the previous year. Let Whaley draft additional players and sign quality free agents, which he has shown he can do.

Rex Ryan is the problem, not the solution. I want him out of Buffalo.

Rex is on the right track, when he is the one responsible for those schemes and stupidity you complain about?

I don't want wholesale change. Keep Roman, for instance. Keep the players who were fine on D the previous year. Let Whaley draft additional players and sign quality free agents, which he has shown he can do.

Rex Ryan is the problem, not the solution. I want him out of Buffalo.

He's not leaving. Do whatever you have to in order to cope with it now. They won't fire him and they shouldn't.

Four head coaches since 2010 is patently insane.

Six DC's in as many years is even worse.

You're going all-in emotionally on a stupid idea. The sooner you come to grips with that, the better off your cardiac health will remain.

Going in to Sunday 21 teams in the NFL were under .500 - 21

Are they all firing their coaches?

Should we settle for poor performance? No - need to demand better- but firing everyone every year is just plain stupid.

Carolina was ready to run Riverboat Ron out on a rail last year- they are now undefeated-

In the immortal words of someone "R E L A X"

He's not leaving. Do whatever you have to in order to cope with it now. They won't fire him and they shouldn't.

Four head coaches since 2010 is patently insane.

Six DC's in as many years is even worse.

You're going all-in emotionally on a stupid idea. The sooner you come to grips with that, the better off your cardiac health will remain.

You're probably right that they won't fire him.

But I want to ask you honestly, with sincerity and no hostility, what do you like about Rex Ryan? What has he shown this season that makes you confident he will do better next season. Do you believe that the Bills under him will ever be consistently good over a season, let alone five or ten years, the way the Pats or Steelers or Broncos have been?

You're probably right that they won't fire him.

But I want to ask you honestly, with sincerity and no hostility, what do you like about Rex Ryan? What has he shown this season that makes you confident he will do better next season. Do you believe that the Bills under him will ever be consistently good over a season, let alone five or ten years, the way the Pats or Steelers or Broncos have been?

It was a naive hire. The Pegulas are very decent and I am very grateful they saved the Sabres and Bills for Buffalo.

They were charmed by Rex. He's a likeable guy. He doesn't appear to be a good head coach.

He won't adapt to his players, so we appear to have payed a lot for DL when lbs and dbs are a premium for his scheme.

He doesn't appear to make good in-game adjustments and he is too fun and friendly to instill discipline.

But it's a five year contract, so all one can do is hope we get players more suited to his style and that the offense makes another jump forward as well.

I think this topic gets very interesting if the Bills lose the remaining games. As most fans, I see that as a 50/50 proposition.

Losing record

Another year of missing playoffs

Worse record than Marrone with arguably more talent

The penalties

The lack of discipline

YoY decline from the defense by nearly all metrics

There will be changes if that all comes to be with the first impression being very disappointing. What, you expect year 2 to be outstanding? Think the coaching staff saves its best for last?

I'm starting to come around to the idea that I had unrealistic expectations.

Here's why:

New schemes on both sides of the ball again, with a ridiculous complicated but proven successful defensive scheme.

New, first time starting quarterback.

The ridiculous amount of injuries the team went through.

The linebackers who aren't near as talented as we all thought.

The Doug Marrone hangover effect (Preston Brown mentioned that it took them a while to be comfortable asking questions because they thought they'd be berated). Players just weren't bought in at the start. Pat Kirwan referenced this on moving the chains yesterday - Rex was perfect for the Buffalo job because of how Marrone quit on the team trying to give him a raise. Had to get a players coach to regain trust. If anyone has been through that you know it takes a lot of time, especially with divas in the nfl.

The right side of the offensive line.

Danny Crossman.

Refereeing.

In my opinion, Rex deserves a ton of credit for the offense this year. He was directly responsible for asking Whaley for more speed (which he delivered in McCoy), Tyrod Taylor, and bringing in Greg Roman.

The defense was hugely disappointing. Yet I'm still curious to see what would happen with a fully implemented Rex scheme and some better linebackers.

This is an offensive driven league and it's probably my favorite offense since the kgun. We've got a gigantic big play ability with Tyrod and Sammy and Shady.

Let's build on that, not destroy it, and get Rex the rest of the horses he needs to be successful on defense.

Edited by BlueFire

I am so sick of the continuity argument. Do you truly want to continue to destroy a great defense?

I have absolutely no faith that even if Rex personally selected every defensive player, that the end product would be any any different from what you got from him this this year.

In his presser upon being hired he stated that the 4th ranked defense was not good enough, he said they should be 1st. He did not say, the players don't fit my scheme, so I am going to have to evaluate the personnel and make the necessary adjustments in the off season.

Rex is a Clown. Always has been and hopefully he will join his brother in the very near future. If Rex is the coach of the Bills next year, I am going to take a one year hiatus (the first since 1972) as a fan. And if the 8-8 or worse record they achieve in 2016 don't lead to Rex being fired I hate it for all Bills fans.

Seriously, why wait. Rex did not come here in a rebuilding mode. He guaranteed playoffs. He failed. This is a multi - billion dollar business. If I were the Pegula's, I have seen enough. I would cut my losses and move on. The writing is one the wall. The state of this organization after 2-3 more years of this clown is going to be devastating.

Flame away.

I know your schtick is to defend OBD at all costs. Never blame the management, only the moving parts they decide on.

But you conveniently missed my point in the thread about coordinating the RB in a run first offense with the OL. You know well that they've prioritized featuring a bigger OL with tackles like Glenn and Henderson, then filling in with Incognito. Wood is a bigger center. And in theory that fits with a power-run scheme because they're run blockers first. Except they then went and traded for McCoy, who is a shifty type back that tries to make guys miss. He fits a zone-blocking scheme with more agile OL, which they don't have. Ironically, the guy more suited to that scheme and personnel is a 1 cut type like Karlos Williams, who unfortunately can't stay on the field. He cost them a 5th. McCoy cost them a former 2nd rounder and 26M guaranteed.

This more than illustrates how everything needs to be aligned. But it's not. You don't go 6 years of rebuilding with a guy intimately involved in personnel and expect him to get it right all of a sudden.

There's nothing better than a post like this...you couldn't possibly be more wrong about everything in this post. You defend every challenge to your opinion by labeling the challenger as someone that defends the organization at all costs.

Every. Single. Time.

That's not me. Sorry to disappoint. I'm the guy that blasted the Darby pick; I didn't like the Rex hire. You can paint me with that brush if you want, but you'll find with even a little research that you're wrong.

The fact of the matter is that you have a vendetta against the GM, and it causes you to often push agenda-driven arguments as opposed to factually-driven ones. You understandably don't like getting called out on it.

Nevertheless, I haven't missed a thing. The team wanted to be run-oriented...they rank in the top 5 in nearly every single rushing statistic. They're 3rd in total rush yards and rush YPG, they're tied for 4th in yards/carry, they're tied for 3rd in rushing TDs, they're tied for 3rd in rushing 1st downs, they're tied for 3rd in carries of 20 yards or more; are these numbers somehow indicative of a disjointed or misaligned running game?

No, no they are not, and if that's the crux of your argument--that the RB isn't coordinated with the OL--then you are flat out wrong.

As I said before: what it seems you're actually upset with is that the defensive players carried over from the previous regime don't fit the defensive scheme; that's not on management. That's on the coach to craft a scheme that fits his players. It seems that Rex felt that most of the guys could take to the scheme; as we've seen with the safeties and LBs, that's not the case. Thus, they're forced to cut ties with some guys and find others.

If you want to criticize the organization, do it for a factually-based reason: they hired a coach who either isn't willing to shape his scheme to fit the players, or who overestimated the players' ability to take up his scheme. Those are valid, fact-based criticisms; your "misaligned running game" theory isn't.

Edited by thebandit27

Firing Rex Ryan would be monumentally stupid.

Firing Rex Ryan would make the 2016 coach the fourth Bills HC since 2010. The Steelers will be on their fourth coach since 1966.

Do Bills fans not understand the correlation between continuity and consistency?

In fact, let's look at the top teams in the NFL and how far back you have to go to count four different coaching regimes. Again, with the Bills, you need only go to 2010. Green Bay ('92), New England ('91), Cincinnati ('92), Carolina, only four HC in the entire history of the franchise (dating back to '95), Denver ('95).

So yeah, let's just keep doing the one thing we HAVE been doing: cycling through coaches like toilet paper. It's never worked for us, and it's something successful teams don't do.

Rex Ryan continuity worked out great for the Jets.

We will. For what it is worth I have never wanted a coach out after 1 year before - because I have always taken the view that we don't know. I honestly believe I do know on Rex. I hope to goodness I am wrong because he is staying. But I really, really don't think I am. If I had any doubt in my own mind I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

I totally agree with this. I have never wanted a coach out after one year. Not Jauron, not Gailey, not Mularkey, not Williams, not Marrone. This just feels different. With this I just think Ryan is not a good coach & will continue to mess up this talented roster. What he has done to this defense is inexcuseable & it is fireable. Pegs could either admit his mistake after this season & show this clown the door or he could wait 2 more years I suppose & fire him then. I don't feel like putting up with 2 more years of this crap though.