Carucci doesn't expect any offseason changes...

YoloinOhio

After reading this thread, the endless calls to fire Rex/Whaley/Brandon, the calls to "get 'er done, sign that franchise QB", "we need a czar" meme ----

What I am thankful this Christmas for: FANS DON'T MANAGE THE BILLS!

I'm also thankful that hot head fans are not my parents. Imagine, come home with a grade of B--and it's a trip to Dave and Busters, come home with a C grade, and you get whipped by a belt.

Edited by boater

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it wasn't. He protected himself in the case of an ownership change, and saw it as a bad job. A certain coach who did some ridiculous things when he quit a job, won quite a few superbowls

There's nothing wrong with Marrone (or anyone) taking a better job. The problem is how he left. Your OP says the fans should be embarrassed for how they reacted when he left, but yet Marrone gets a free pass? That's just not intellectually honest. He owed the players he coached a face to face conversation before he left -- or at least a phone call. He did neither.

Also, this is the man who put Erik frickin' Pears at GUARD for an entire year -- that's not a coaching genius. The guy is a complete joke as a Head Coach and that will be amply demonstrated if (and it's a big if) he gets a shot at another HC gig in the NFL.

Wait! You're comparing Marrone with Belichick?

I am comparing him to a Belichick before anyone really knew what he could do as a head coach. I do think he will have similar results, however.

There's nothing wrong with Marrone (or anyone) taking a better job. The problem is how he left. Your OP says the fans should be embarrassed for how they reacted when he left, but yet Marrone gets a free pass? That's just not intellectually honest. He owed the players he coached a face to face conversation before he left -- or at least a phone call. He did neither.

Also, this is the man who put Erik frickin' Pears at GUARD for an entire year -- that's not a coaching genius. The guy is a complete joke as a Head Coach and that will be amply demonstrated if (and it's a big if) he gets a shot at another HC gig in the NFL.

The messages to his family were disgraceful

Yeah, I know, thank God OBD is in charge. Imagine how much worse it would be if "the fans" ran the Bills! Bills fans are just SO impatient. They need to just get with the program.

Edited by mannc

I am comparing him to a Belichick before anyone really knew what he could do as a head coach. I do think he will have similar results, however.

The messages to his family were disgraceful

I'm NOT excusing any people who take their fandom to new lows by bashing a player or coach's family, for any reason. There's never a reason for that.

But your analysis of Marrone as a head coach is woeful. He was terrible. Are you really going to compare him to Belich*ck with a straight face? Every player regressed under his administration -- especially the players he personally chose to interact with (the OL). He was a bully in the building, had zero respect for anyone who he outranked (a sure sign of a poor leader), and gave the entire team and everything he had preached for 24 months the middle finger with how he chose to exit.

The fan response came after his choice to set fire to the bridge after he crossed it. That's on Marrone. He's a lousy coach and a worse leader, that's a tough combo for a head coach to have. And I'd say it's impossible for a HC with those traits to win 4 rings like Belich*ck.

Edited by Deranged Rhino

After reading this thread, the endless calls to fire Rex/Whaley/Brandon, the calls to "get 'er done, sign that franchise QB", "we need a czar" meme ----

I'm also thankful that hot head fans are not my parents. Imagine, come home with a grade of B--and it's a trip to Dave and Busters, come home with a C grade, and you get whipped by a belt.

Nice analogy. Fans definitly overreact, there's is no question there. However, Bills are fans are probably more entitled to do so than any other fans. The issue is that we haven't been coming home with a C average. We've been coming home with D's and F's for 15 years. So people just want to do something about it. Even when it's not the most sane or rational method.

I'm NOT excusing any people who take their fandom to new lows by bashing a player or coach's family, for any reason. There's never a reason for that.

But your analysis of Marrone as a head coach is woeful. He was terrible. Are you really going to compare him to Belich*ck with a straight face? Every player regressed under his administration -- especially the players he personally chose to interact with (the OL). He was a bully in the building, had zero respect for anyone who he outranked (a sure sign of a poor leader), and gave the entire team and everything he had preached for 24 months the middle finger with how he chose to exit.

The fan response came after his choice to set fire to the bridge after he crossed it. That's on Marrone. He's a lousy coach and a worse leader, that's a tough combo for a head coach to have. And I'd say it's impossible for a HC with those traits to win 4 rings like Belich*ck.

He took over a dead franchise. Not a bad one- a dead one. There was no will to win or compete. You don't fix those problems without pushing things. Rex ain't going to push those things- he's going to entertain you before and after the game.

It sure took the that's Jets team a long time to build what they want huh? The excuses are endless with this shiit organization....

I picked the Jets as the surprise team this year, Major upgrades at a bunch of positions and competent coaching

Lol then you don't know what your talking about.

Yea I understand what the Jets roster was last year compared to this year.

But what about our roster compared to last years in which we went 9-7? We improved it. Especially on offense and added a pro bowl CB on defense.

The jets and bills are equal in talent. The Jets coaches are better on a week to week basis. The inmates no longer run the asylum over there. They do in Buffalo.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the Jets. The talent level on that team is massively behind what it is this year. Like, not even close. To think that the difference is coaching is asinine. Coaching is of course part of it, but the talent level is night and day.

As for the rest, you're picking out individual points when I believe it's a combination of factors that influenced this year. I think it's a lot more nuanced than saying "our roster on paper is better so our team should be better".

Nice analogy. Fans definitly overreact, there's is no question there. However, Bills are fans are probably more entitled to do so than any other fans. The issue is that we haven't been coming home with a C average. We've been coming home with D's and F's for 15 years. So people just want to do something about it. Even when it's not the most sane or rational method.

It's a new team. The fans and the location are the same but the team is most assuredly new. People forget this, understandably because as fans we tend to be myopic. But everything from top to bottom within the organization has changed in the past 15 months. The Pegulas have two things going for them that most successful team owners tend to have: deep pockets and the intelligence to let football people run the team rather than trying to micromanage.

Give them some time to get their feet under them. I know it's unfair to ask us Bills fans to wait, again, but unlike year's past this team truly is a different organization. They're not going to be pinching pennies and clearly are not afraid to make big moves (even if they're not the right moves). I like the thought of keeping McCoy, Watkins, Taylor, Woods and company all together in Roman's scheme for a full off season and training camp. I also think despite Rex bumbling year one, his defensive scheme can and will work here as it has everywhere else he's coached.

Overreacting can be as bad as standing by idle.

He took over a dead franchise. Not a bad one- a dead one. There was no will to win or compete. You don't fix those problems without pushing things. Rex ain't going to push those things- he's going to entertain you before and after the game.

Putting Pears in at guard is pushing things? Well, on that we agree. It's pushing all limits of sanity and reason to their breaking points. ;)

I'm not talking about Rex in this discussion, only Marrone. The offense regressed under his leadership, the team won because of the defense which he was smart enough to delegate to JS. If you're honestly expecting Marrone to be the next Bill Belich*ck just because both guys got fired from rust belt teams, you're going to be waiting a looooong time.

The only statement here that makes me ponder is whether or not Rex has hit his ceiling as a coach. There's been some notable growth stories, like our own Marv in his latter coaching period. Tom Coughlin stayed his course but changed enough to accommodate some player issues and did very well. Hard to say about Rex. Getting players to suit his D scheme may fix the defense issue, but If he doesn't come to Jesus on team discipline and preparedness, I don't think we'll get much farther. There are things I feel better about than I have in the past - QB, OC and the beginnings of a team identity. It's gotta make a quantum leap next year.

Good luck trying to sell fans on another year of the Rex Ryan show. His defensive genius knows no bounds. All of the sychophants that say he needs to stay, all in the name of "continuity", should enjoy watching the bloviating gasbag rip apart what was once (just last year) an extremely good defensive unit.That's what we call "upheaval"- and it flies in the face of "continuity". And after this snake oil salesman guides the Bills to yet another non-playoff season in 2016, what then? There will be some who will advocate for a third year. Meanwhile,the team that fired this podophiliac is on the cusp of a playoff berth; and their defense is exponentially better without windbag Rex than it was with him. God it sucks being a Bills fan!

Alas, a lot of fans can't see the issues with Ryan.

If this story by Carucci has any truth to it these new owners are in a huge shock when it comes to next years season ticket sales. "3. The fans are angry." No kidding!

Long story short, my son has been a devout season ticket holder for the past decade, and both my daughters attend games with their families along with the in laws. So I'd say they have around 20 season seats all toll. My son was such a devout follower that he would by tickets to other games when the team went on the road. Not anymore! He stated that unless major changes are made in the front office he isn't renewing his season seats, and just about everyone he knows who attends the games feels the same way he does.

Welcome to the 1984-1985 Buffalo Bills all over again in the next few years. The stadium near empty with around 20k season tickets sold, and the fans that did attend with bags on their heads. Sok though because these new owners are billionaires, and don't depend on the team making money to support them. I just have to wonder if they will then make the needed changes?

I worry that they are now going to dismantle the defense to meet Rex's system when it was the one phase of the team that was in place and playoff ready when Rex took over so essentially they will be taking a step back again next year

The wheels on the bus go round and round

I worry that they are now going to dismantle the defense to meet Rex's system when it was the one phase of the team that was in place and playoff ready when Rex took over so essentially they will be taking a step back again next year

The wheels on the bus go round and round

I agree.

My desire to see Rex fired has nothing to do with the 15-year drought. Normally, as you may see from my posts over the years, I am quite a patient fan. I've never been one to say "blow it up" after one bad season.

But with Rex it's different. Hiring him, I suspected from the start, meant already blowing up the successful defense that Schwartz had put together with the talented players Whaley had assembled. I could see from the start that he was not Whaley's guy (though Whaley had to sign onto the choice and make the best of it) which was evident from the peculiar organizational structure with Rex and Whaley reporting separately to the Pegulas instead of Rex serving under the general manager as most other teams do.

I did not care for his personality, his arrogance, his aggressive blockheadedness, his mediocre record with the Jets. The Bills under Marone blew his team to bits in both games last year. All the orgasms that Bills fans had over his hire left me cold.

And Rex proved worse than I feared. I'd thought, well, he has great talent to work with; maybe he can maintain the defense's strength. Nope. He did not put the players into a position to succeed, instead he forced his system onto them even if their talents (like Mario's, and Dareus's, and Bradham's) did not suit the scheme. So now they have to get new players, and Dareus is going to either end up playing mediocre at nose tackle or playing great for some other team.

His game management skills are weak at best. The lack of discipline on the team is appalling. The penalties--despite hotheads like Hughes, these same players did not commit anywhere near as many last season.

It's left me furious at the Pegulas for hiring this clown, and in despair at the thought they will keep him on (and maybe fire Whaley instead). As I say, I have never had this reaction to any other coach the Bills have hired (and I've been a fan since the mid-1960s) with the possible exception of Gregg Williams, another man who was a legend in his own mind.

I don't want to blow up the roster. I want to blow up Sexy Rexy and his freakin' pickup truck and sky diving and teeth whitener so that we can get somebody running this team who has a chance of making it better.

Exactly. Continuity was destroyed the minute they hired this clown. Continuity is not a virtue when he's already proven his incompetence, his DETRIMENTAL influence on the team and players, in a single season.

:thumbsup: If it were just the defense going from #4 overall to #20, or the #1 sacking team going to 30th :doh: But its not, and there is so much more!

1. Its his big mouth by providing the opposing team bulletin board material to help motivate them!
  2. The Penalties, lack of team discipline is astounding at times. 15 penalties for 101 yards, in one game, really? The Eagles had 5 penalties.
  3. The special teams that was among the best last year with the same coach, and basically the same players is now one of the worst.
  4. Bad game management at times
  5. Bad red flag management at times
  6. inability to get the most out of the players on the roster. Players need to fit his scheme or it doesn't work is ludicrous that three all pro players from last year are now nearly invisible!
  7. utter failure in his area of expertise

Talk about a complete failure in just about every aspect of a team. One more year or five more years like he had with the NY Jets. I don't see this team going anywhere but down. Hire those consultants like the Jets did, and let them advise what course of action to take. The Jets dumped big talking Ryan, and hired a new GM-HC. They are now currently 8-5 with the 6th seed in the playoffs, and are winning with noodle arm Ryan Fitzpasspick. Plus they are currently tied with the 4th best record in the AFC with Chan Gailey as OC.

The Bills had a playoff caliber defense last year, and only need offensive upgrades. The team upgraded the offense, and now are going to deconstruct the defense. It makes no sense to me.

So Carucci is in Buffalo now? Interesting. I always thought he was reasonable (compared to Tony Grossi - most miserable SOB on earth).

Don't tell me you think your GM isn't good. Ours is paying Dwayne Bowe 3 million dollars PER CATCH.

Yeah, Vic came back a few years ago.

Good guy; good writer.

All of you who think Rex automatically serves another season because of his contract might be surprised.

Personally, I believe the Pegula's have to be as upset with him as the fans are. They are successful business people who have obviously made smart business decisions. Keeping Rex for another year would not be smart. Didn't Pegula already state that money doesn't matter. That he wants to win and if he wanted more money he would go dig another well.

I'm pretty certain his tenure is anything but guaranteed. I'm certain the owners are consulting others as to the predicament of the RR contract.

I truly can't wait to see the reaction of the fans toward RR at the final home game.

Putting Pears in at guard is pushing things? Well, on that we agree. It's pushing all limits of sanity and reason to their breaking points. ;)

I'm not talking about Rex in this discussion, only Marrone. The offense regressed under his leadership, the team won because of the defense which he was smart enough to delegate to JS. If you're honestly expecting Marrone to be the next Bill Belich*ck just because both guys got fired from rust belt teams, you're going to be waiting a looooong time.

At times you have to get people out of there you don't want. And sometimes to do that, you have to go with a guy who isn't good enough. I'm not comparing them because of that. I see similar mannerisms. I only hope Marrone someday receives a good opportunity.