The MMQB: Is Tyrod Taylor "The Guy"?

26CornerBlitz

Sure, unless Taylor has a great 2016 and decides he doesn't want to play in Buffalo. There will be teams lining up for him. Why stay with a team that doesn't believe in him?

Franchise tag. Then work on a deal.

I doubt Taylor plays a great 2016 and then decides he doesn't want to play in Buffalo, especially since the Bills, I would think, would write a hefty check to him. Money talks.

And why don't the Bills believe in him? Because they wouldn't have signed him right after this season? At this point I'm sure Taylor, and his agent, know that he has a bit more to prove before he locks up a big long term deal.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You pay him to be your starter and why wouldn't he stay?

It is the right approach.

It might be the right approach. But I could also see it blowing up in our faces.

Put yourself in Tyrod's shoes for a minute. You think you did pretty well considering it's your first year as a starter. So you expect the Bills to show some belief in you. Instead they leave you dangling with your piddly contract.

So that burns you. Then the Bills bring in Kaep or draft a QB round one and make you win your job again.

So now if you are Tyrod, you start feeling that the Bills don't really believe in you. At the same time his agent starts getting feelers from other teams. Maybe the Ravens want him back to replace Flacco?

So Tyrod goes into the season a pending free agent. In his heart he's playing for his next deal, wherever it is.

Tyrod plays well enough to get the Bills to the playoffs. Now Whaley says let's talk deal. But Tyrod says he wants to test his value on the open market. After all how often does a legit starter go into free agency?

So the Bills are now one of five teams vying for him. He decides he'd rather play for his old coach in a city closer to his home, even though the Bills are offering stupid money now to keep him.

Bills are back in QB purgatory. Tell me this couldn't happen?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I think TT often plays too safe to take the Bills to the next level. His failure to use the middle of the field or target Sammy contributes directly to the low number of INT's and the high QB rating, BUT... Sometimes you have to take a chance and stick the ball in there. Game winning drives failed because TT was too conservative. He also shows a lack of situational awareness, trying for the home run when moving the chains is what's needed. Sure, some of the bombs to Sammy have come on 3rd down, but how many times have we seen long incomplete passes on 3rd and 5 or less? I'm not sold on TT yet.

Taylor's got to use the middle of the field or he becomes a one-trick pony similar to Losman. Perhaps it's Rex/Roman not featuring those plays to make up for Taylor's shortcomings as a younger QB, but you become predictable offensively if every pass is short or down the sideline. Gailey tried that with Fitz and it was quickly figured out.

You still draft a QB high in 2016 regardless. That goes against Buffalo's previous mantra which preached one guy at a time and hope they develop, but that plan hasn't worked in more than a decade.

I put the middle-of-the-field and other "decision-making" criticisms squarely at Roman's feet. Our passing playbook is just weird. Better than it was under Hackett of course but for some reason we just don't run many slants. Likewise Roman is responsible for bombs to Sammy on 3rd & short.

Edited by SoFFacet

For me its simpe, TT deserves a contract similar to what the Bills gave Fitzpatrick

He has earned it

CBF

Has he though?

Fitzpatrick had started 32 games for the Bills and had started 12 games for the Bengals at the point he signed the deal. That's 44 games started. I think the Bills had a somewhat better idea of what they were getting with Fitz than they do now with Taylor. And even then, they got it wrong. It would have been like if the Bills signed Fitz in 2010 instead of 2011.

It might be the right approach. But I could also see it blowing up in our faces.

Put yourself in Tyrod's for a minute. You think you did pretty well considering it's your first year as a starter. So you expect the Bills to show some belief in you. Instead they leave you dangling with your piddly contract.

So that burns you. Then the Bills bring in Kaep or draft a QB round one and make you win your job again.

So now if you are Tyrod, you start feeling that the Bills don't really believe in you. At the same time his agent starts getting feelers from other teams. Maybe the Ravens want him back to replace Flacco?

So Tyrod goes into the season a pending free agent. In his heart he's playing for his next deal, wherever it is.

Tyrod plays well enough to get the Bills to the playoffs. Now Whaley says let's talk deal. But Tyrod says he wants to test his value on the open market. After all how often does a legit starter go into free agency?

So the Bills are now one of five teams vying for him. He decides he'd rather play for his old coach in a city closer to his home, even though the Bills are offering stupid money now to keep him.

he is a developing starter. " back in purgatory" is where this team sits today in regards to the position. it would be a little careless to throw big money at him after this season. Bit Fitz will tell you it sure spends great!

i think TT should go into the offseason as the un questioned starter for 16. The Bills have no luxury $$$ to blow on guys like Kap. So they draft one and hope turns out in a few years. TT IMO doesn't look like he's a potential 10 years starter even if he lifts his game up a few more notches.

I think your reaching here.

It's a business. Bills have to protect their own interest here and Tyrod has to prove himself as a long term starter.

If Tyrod has another good year and Bills offer him a substantial contract and he really doesn't want to play here because the Bills "didn't believe in him" which wouldn't be the case at all, it would more so be the Bills protecting themselves in case their belief in Tyrod was wrong, then what can you do?

What do you suggest? Offer him a contract now and not draft a QB?

Do you remember Ryan Fitzpatrick?

And money talks.

If Tyrod has an outstanding 2016 and gets even better there is no way the Bills don't throw a massive contract his way. He would be the guy they've been looking for. They wouldn't let him slip away.

Put yourself in Tyrod's shoes for a minute. You think you did pretty well considering it's your first year as a starter. So you expect the Bills to show some belief in you. Instead they leave you dangling with your piddly contract.

As previously stated, then you franchise Tyrod for 2017. As ScottLaw said, I think you are reaching.

How often does a young "franchise QB" hit the open market? When's the last time thats happened?

Taylor's contract with the 3rd year being voidable showed he and his agent understand what opportunity he was being and the long term implications. So far for him so good, he's betting on himself and has one more season after this to prove himself, then he gets paid. The terms of the contract IMO show all sides have a clear understanding of the stakes involved, I dont see hard feelings being developed, this was his opportunity to start, these were the terms, he understands, and like Flacco, his payday will come. He knew the deal going into this.

Many things could happen, but regardless Buffalo controls his rights for the next 2 years (current contract + Franchise Tag) if they want to regardless and has an owner that will pay up when it is called for (Dareus the $100 Million Nose Guard :doh: ).

One thing is for sure: If Tyrod's bet pays off, after 2016 he's going to be a wealthy starter in 2017 and he knows it.

"Around the same time, Taylor also started leading weekly meetings with the offensive skill position players, for about an hour every Thursday afternoon—just like Lewis and Reed used to do with the Ravens defense. They’re optional, no coaches, but everyone attends. Taylor stands in front of a projector with the clicker and a laser pointer, running through cut-ups to show his teammates how an opposing defensive back can be beaten on a certain route or in what way the opponent will line up against a specific formation. Taylor has been charged with mastering a high-volume offense that can have as many as 300 plays in a weekly game plan, so he’s put in the extra time to get his teammates on the same page." Jenny Vrentas

Well, Tyrod is doing everything he can. He is the only reason why I will watch the final 3 games.

I put the middle-of-the-field and other "decision-making" criticisms squarely at Roman's feet. Our passing playbook is just weird. Better than it was under Hackett of course but for some reason we just don't run many slants. Likewise Roman is responsible for bombs to Sammy on 3rd & short.

Taylor doesn't see the middle of the field well according to Bills lead cheerleader Chris Brown on the WGR Monday morning extra point show.

Besides, what kind of NFL OC doesn't call routes that go over the middle of the field at some point in a game? Because I'm pretty sure they're not all within 5 yards or along the sidelines.

Play-calling may again be suspect, but it's not all on the OC. The QB needs to make the intermediate throws when they're available.

I think TT often plays too safe to take the Bills to the next level. His failure to use the middle of the field or target Sammy contributes directly to the low number of INT's and the high QB rating, BUT... Sometimes you have to take a chance and stick the ball in there. Game winning drives failed because TT was too conservative. He also shows a lack of situational awareness, trying for the home run when moving the chains is what's needed. Sure, some of the bombs to Sammy have come on 3rd down, but how many times have we seen long incomplete passes on 3rd and 5 or less? I'm not sold on TT yet.

I completely agree. Tyrod has played well in spurts. But when the game is on the line, he has gone in the tank time and time again. He had chances against NE, KC and Philly to lead us down the field to tie the game with plenty of time, and he could not even get us a first down, when the opposition is always going to give you some underneath and medium range stuff. His awareness of what to do in a given situation is sorely lacking. That being said he does have ability to make big plays. And hopefully will get better in crunch time going forward. However, to even think about an extension at this point in time is pure stupidity. He should be the starter going into this coming offseason. But he should have competition from a veteran and a draft pick. He should have to show that he is trending upward this offseason and into next season before he is given a fat contract. Because if this year is TT's ceiling, we are not going anywhere as a team.

A lot of you may not follow him, because he is not flashy. But Jake Rudock at Michigan had an excellent season. He is smart, mobile, good accuracy, has an above average arm and understands how to play the QB position. With some solid coaching he will be a good NFL QB (better version of Kirk Cousins and Nick Foles) within a couple of seasons. I have watched every Michigan game this year, and he has gotten better as the season went along. And was a great leader of the offense. I would draft him with a 4th or 5th round pick, and give him a shot. I am a huge Michigan fan, so I may be biased. But the guy has game.

"Around the same time, Taylor also started leading weekly meetings with the offensive skill position players, for about an hour every Thursday afternoon—just like Lewis and Reed used to do with the Ravens defense. They’re optional, no coaches, but everyone attends. Taylor stands in front of a projector with the clicker and a laser pointer, running through cut-ups to show his teammates how an opposing defensive back can be beaten on a certain route or in what way the opponent will line up against a specific formation. Taylor has been charged with mastering a high-volume offense that can have as many as 300 plays in a weekly game plan, so he’s put in the extra time to get his teammates on the same page." Jenny Vrentas

Well, Tyrod is doing everything he can. He is the only reason why I will watch the final 3 games.

Tyrod definitely has a lot to play for the last 3 weeks. He could play his way into a nice contract if he plays well enough.

Taylor needs to read what a defense gives him and get the ball out on time. He holds the ball too much, ala EJ, and waits for people to come open instead of throwing to the open spot where they will be. Maybe it is just a matter of building chemistry and familiarity, but he done it since week 1 and doesn't seem to be progressing that much.

For now yes, 2, 3, 4 years down the road, nope!

you have no idea

Taylor needs to read what a defense gives him and get the ball out on time. He holds the ball too much, ala EJ, and waits for people to come open instead of throwing to the open spot where they will be. Maybe it is just a matter of building chemistry and familiarity, but he done it since week 1 and doesn't seem to be progressing that much.

so your saying he plays like a a first year starter

Edited by CardinalScotts

@TyDunne

New at the BN Blog: It sounds like Tyrod Taylor will be the #Bills QB into 2016, too ... http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/16/it-sounds-like-tyrod-taylor-will-be-the-qb-into-2016-too/

Both the Buffalo Bills' head coach and general manager say they are committed to Tyrod Taylor as their quarterback into the future.

At his Wednesday news conference, Rex Ryan offered strong support for the Bills starter. And in a MMQB story, Doug Whaley said "He’s shown us enough that we can obviously keep trying with him. But it won’t preclude us from going out and protecting ourselves (in case) he’s not.”

Through his 11 starts, Taylor has completed 63.5 percent of his passes for 2,439 yards, 18 touchdowns, five interceptions and a 100.9 passer rating. He has also rushed for 371 yards on 71 attempts (5.2 avg.) and three scores. By playing more than half of his snaps, the third year of Taylor's deal is voided so he'll now be entering a contract year into 2016.

The Bills seem committed to sticking with Taylor as the starter right now.

Agree, that is the biggest area he needs to improve on. Getting physically stronger wouldn't hurt either.

Could the Bills do better at QB, sure, but the odds are stacked against them just because there aren't nearly enough true franchise QB's around. So you have to make the best of what you have. Also unless you really get a Brady Rodgers, Manning type, the next level while good, command to much $$ to be able to afford the pieces around them, but aren't quite good enough to win consistently with less than stellar talent.

He needs to improve on the short/intermediate quick pass game, otherwise I'm content with him for now. Our defense is the major problem this year.

Agree, that is the biggest area he needs to improve on. Getting physically stronger wouldn't hurt either.

huh? In addition to being a film room junkie, he is a workout warrior. Not sure he can put much more bulk in without it impacting 2 KEY areas that are critical: his throwing capability and his elusiveness. Unfortunately he just has a slimmer build and is not ideal height...which is probably the biggest reason he dropped to the 6th round

http://m.tmz.com/#gallery/2015/11/12/nfls-tyrod-taylor-sexy-instagram-snapshots-photos/images/2015/11/05/1105-tyrod-taylor-shirtless04-jpg/