The MMQB: Is Tyrod Taylor "The Guy"?

26CornerBlitz

@theMMQB

'Is Tyrod Taylor The Guy?' In the last story of our Corridor of Woe series, @JennyVrentas on Buffalo's QB quandary. http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/12/16/tyrod-taylor-buffalo-bills-nfl-rex-ryan-doug-whaley-jim-kelly

tyrod-taylor-bills.jpg?itok=-MPpUnoH

He is the Buffalo Bills’ 15th starting quarterback since Jim Kelly took his final NFL snap 19 years ago. With every game he plays and every throw he makes, Western New York wonders if the search for their next franchise QB might finally be over, or if it will be time to turn the page again

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reflecting upon this season, I don't believe Tyrod Taylor is even in the top 5 reasons why the Bills flopped this year. If anything, he was refreshing. If we have to sit through another "experiment" I will cancel the Directv experience and just read about the season so I don't get my hopes up again.

Coming into the year people were thinking that if TT would just not lose us games, the rest of the team would carry him. Instead, TT was the best thing about the Bills this year, and most of the rest of the team flopped. If we could have changed absolutely nothing from last year's team except Orton --> TT, we would have made the playoffs this year, which were basically handed to us on a silver platter by the AFC South / NFC East schedule.

Coming into the year people were thinking that if TT would just not lose us games, the rest of the team would carry him. Instead, TT was the best thing about the Bills this year, and most of the rest of the team flopped. If we could have changed absolutely nothing from last year's team except Orton --> TT, we would have made the playoffs this year, which were basically handed to us on a silver platter by the AFC South / NFC East schedule.

Taylor made?

I'm in on the kid and expect significant improvement next year.

exactly the right approach IMO

No doubt it is. Here's the full quote.

You watch for progress, general manager Doug Whaley said on his way out of the visitors’ locker room Sunday afternoon. The Bills have seen progress, enough that they are prepared to give Taylor a second year under center. On a trial basis, of course. They will likely wait until the end of a second season, Whaley added, to make any determinations about Taylor’s future here.

“Is he the long-term starter?” Whaley says. “Let’s put it this way: He’s shown us enough that we can obviously keep trying with him. But it won’t preclude us from going out and protecting ourselves [in case] he’s not.”

exactly the right approach IMO

Sure, unless Taylor has a great 2016 and decides he doesn't want to play in Buffalo. There will be teams lining up for him. Why stay with a team that doesn't believe in him? Edited by PromoTheRobot

No doubt it is. Here's the full quote.

yeah. Draft a guy of course if he's there in the draft, but I am assuming no one that's any good will drop to the Bills customary 15 to 20 draft slot. Maybe Kaepernick, maybe other FAs. who knows. I for one don't want some raw rookie at QB, might as well blow it all up (again) if you're doing that, and wait another 3-5 years. Let his knee heal up and Go with TT next year for sure. He's earned it.

Taylor's got to use the middle of the field or he becomes a one-trick pony similar to Losman. Perhaps it's Rex/Roman not featuring those plays to make up for Taylor's shortcomings as a younger QB, but you become predictable offensively if every pass is short or down the sideline. Gailey tried that with Fitz and it was quickly figured out.

You still draft a QB high in 2016 regardless. That goes against Buffalo's previous mantra which preached one guy at a time and hope they develop, but that plan hasn't worked in more than a decade.

Edited by BillsVet