Sporting News: Tyrod Is Rex's Best Bills Deal

26CornerBlitz

ryan effectively addressed the qb position within a few months of joining the bills. whaley has yet to effectively address it.

...or maybe Whaley, AS THE GM, actually made this deal happen. ?? It wasn't only one person--obviously Rex liked TT and I'm sure Whaley did too.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The age old question. Who brings in players, the GM or the HC?

If its the HC then why do you need a GM?

this is in no way a concrete validation of the responsibilities

http://www.answers.com/Q/What_does_a_general_manager_of_a_NFL_team_do

The General Manager will have ultimate authority over the players, coaches, scouts, trainers, and basically anyone who can conceivably have an impact on the product the team puts on the field. Despite having hiring/firing power over the Head Coach, most GMs are expected to treat the coach as a near equal. The GM will consult closely with the Head Coach when selecting players, and it is universally expected that the Head Coach will have substantial powers delegated to him including total control of his roster once the offseason acquisitions are made, and control over his staff.

See Sammy Watkins. We all have seen that the (then) HC wasn't happy as the GM had the final say as noted by the on the practice field argument(s) they had.

Imagine how bad this team would be without Tyrod? This year would have been one of the most frustrating in history. Before the year we all talked about how we need someone to "not screw it up" and win playing great defense. As it has turned out the Bills have desperately needed the offense and Tyrod to remain in contention. The record so far may not be too far off of what most projected but this team did not get here how any of us anticipated that they would.

This board would have melted down were it not for Taylor. As you pointed out, this season would be a nightmare had we not acquired him. I root for whoever the Bills players are...but I was pulling for EJ in preseason and wanted him to start. I'd be blind now to not acknowledge how surprisingly good Taylor has been.

Whaley went out and got him at Rex's request. There was competition for him and to discredit Whaley's involvement is a show of ignorance.

Nix released Fitz and brought EJ in. (Tuel & Thad Lewis were also here.)

Once Whaley took over, he signed Orton and released Lewis & Tuel.

Whaley also brought in the following for the coaches to see: Kevin Kolb, Matt Leinhart, Vince Young, Alex Tanney, Pat White, Dennis Dixon, Tarvaris Jackson, Kenny Guiton, Jordon Palmer, Matt Flynn, Matt Simms, Matt Cassel, Josh Johnson.

He has done everything he could do at the QB position - he's brought in a pool of guys for the coaches to choose from (Marone & Rex).

What Whaley hasn't had is the luxury of a #1 or #2 overall pick in a draft stocked with bona-fide QB's, so he's done the next best thing - go out and bring in as many as possible and let your talent evaluators (coaches) pick the ones they want to go with. That and his last 2 drafts (below) show he can pick quality football players.

2015: Darby - Miller - Karlos Williams - Steward - O'Leary - Dezmin Lewis (Only Lewis won't get a look-see duing the 2015 season)

2014: Watkins - Kouandjio - Preston Brown - Cockrell - Richardson - Randell Johnson - Henderson (Cockrell was cut in '15. Jury is still out on OL's Cyrus and Cyril, =though they seem to bring depth - quality as of yet unknown.)

Whaley also traded for Jerry Hughes, McCoy and brought in Incognito and Harvin,

If the Bills want to continue in the mediocrity of the last 15 years, they should do what they always do - blow it up and start over every 2-3 years! We need the continuity both Whaley & Rex can bring. The recent pot-stirring by Vic Carucci only heightens our collective anxiety. The Pegula's aren't fools - so that tells me they'll extend Whaley at the end of the season.

This should be mandatory reading. Whaley, imo, has been a very, very good GM.

My concern is that while I agree with this about Taylor, and think we also got a great RB, TE, LG to go along with solid draft picks like Karlos and Darby, we are on track for the same record as last season.

So while it says good things about Rex's GM instincts and Whaley as well, it doesn't speak well for him as a coach, IMO.

My concern is that while I agree with this about Taylor, and think we also got a great RB, TE, LG to go along with solid draft picks like Karlos and Darby, we are on track for the same record as last season.

So while it says good things about Rex's GM instincts and Whaley as well, it doesn't speak well for him as a coach, IMO.

(Agreed. Comment on your 2nd line)

I'm sick about the D.

Rex is hell bent on running HIS D.

Nevermind that Pettine and Swartz BOTH took what they had and made them into good defenses. (Pettine's D had trouble w/the run but handled the pass well. Swartz corrected the Run D and maintained the Pass D and pass rush.)

Ryan is going to swap out pieces (Mario, LB's) and bring in pieces that better fit his scheme - that's great for NEXT year, but leaves the D as underwhelming this year. (Any D that has Mario & Dareus dropping into coverage is at best over-thinking and at worst just dumb!)

It's on Rex if we don't make the playoffs. He is being foolish and stubborn. He's got the horses, he should let'em run! It's as if he prefers to lose if he cannot win with his defense.

The only game he had a real Defensive Game Plan for was the 2nd Pat's game. He said that would be our D going forward. He terrorized Brady in game 2. Then he laid off Alex Smith and we lost to the Chiefs. I don't get it and I don't get why Rex doens't see this!!!! Can he possibly be THAT stubborn! He's coaching stupid - IMO!

I hope we win 4 in a row, but we haven't won more than 2 in a row all year. Sure our heads tell us we c/should win the next 4, but if Rex lets the QB's stand back there all day, he'll find a way to split the next 4 games. (A safer bet I'd say.)

I hate to say it, but this is probably a big part in why he's no longer in NY.

But I'm a Bills Fan and still hopeful - Go Bills!!!

Edited by Never NEVER Give-up

The age old question. Who brings in players, the GM or the HC?

If its the HC then why do you need a GM?

this is in no way a concrete validation of the responsibilities

http://www.answers.com/Q/What_does_a_general_manager_of_a_NFL_team_do

The General Manager will have ultimate authority over the players, coaches, scouts, trainers, and basically anyone who can conceivably have an impact on the product the team puts on the field. Despite having hiring/firing power over the Head Coach, most GMs are expected to treat the coach as a near equal. The GM will consult closely with the Head Coach when selecting players, and it is universally expected that the Head Coach will have substantial powers delegated to him including total control of his roster once the offseason acquisitions are made, and control over his staff.

See Sammy Watkins. We all have seen that the (then) HC wasn't happy as the GM had the final say as noted by the on the practice field argument(s) they had.

For me, the dynamic between coach and gm is the most important factor. In watching Pittsburgh, the player drafting between the Cowher/Colbert era and the Tomlin/Colbert era has been different, with less dynamic players coming from the current combo and many more coming from the previous combo. So the tug of war over player valuation seems to be good between Rex and Whaley albeit based on a small sample size.

On NFLRadio yesterday during drive time, they were counting down the QB's with the most TD passes over 20 yrds. and what that has historically meant. 1st Place? TIE @11 each for Russell Wilson and, yes, Tyrod Taylor. The broadcasters were shocked.

Haha. Nice way to show your audience that you aren't doing your homework and due diligence on what is happening around the league.

(Agreed. Comment on your 2nd line)

I'm sick about the D.

Rex is hell bent on running HIS D.

Nevermind that Pettine and Swartz BOTH took what they had and made them into good defenses. (Pettine's D had trouble w/the run but handled the pass well. Swartz corrected the Run D and maintained the Pass D and pass rush.)

Ryan is going to swap out pieces (Mario, LB's) and bring in pieces that better fit his scheme - that's great for NEXT year, but leaves the D as underwhelming this year. (Any D that has Mario & Dareus dropping into coverage is at best over-thinking and at worst just dumb!)

It's on Rex if we don't make the playoffs. He is being foolish and stubborn. He's got the horses, he should let'em run! It's as if he prefers to lose if he cannot win with his defense.

The only game he had a real Defensive Game Plan for was the 2nd Pat's game. He said that would be our D going forward. He terrorized Brady in game 2. Then he laid off Alex Smith and we lost to the Chiefs. I don't get it and I don't get why Rex doens't see this!!!! Can he possibly be THAT stubborn! He's coaching stupid - IMO!

I hope we win 4 in a row, but we haven't won more than 2 in a row all year. Sure our heads tell us we c/should win the next 4, but if Rex lets the QB's stand back there all day, he'll find a way to split the next 4 games. (A safer bet I'd say.)

I hate to say it, but this is probably a big part in why he's no longer in NY.

But I'm a Bills Fan and still hopeful - Go Bills!!!

And who knows whos playing QB if marrone stays, or schwartz gets promoted? We might have fired Whaley - signed polian and traded the farm for RG3.

We are where we are. But Rex surely factors in bringing in players more than people think. Who knows? He might have thought highly of darby...

We don't know whats going on - we don't know if rex or thurman is making the calls - we dont know anything.

We can speculate sure - but what i do know... is were still in it this year despite playing a fairly tough schedule, and dropping winnable games here and there.

The coach does NOT make the deal - he sure offers the GM input on players he has knowledge of - as do players on the team and assistant coaches etccc.. trades are done via the GM - this is Whaley's acquisition with a coach pushing it.

I would not want to see the many other guys Rex would have acquired if allowed free reign that would not have worked out or worked within a cap system projected over the next few years - anyone really want Rex making deals while keeping track of cap impacts??? Rex is a people guy who shoots from the hip - he can help a GM - but in no way could be a GM

yep

But Rex surely factors in bringing in players more than people think.

We don't know whats going on - we don't know if rex or thurman is making the calls - we dont know anything.

Your second statement is correct. Your first statement needs to see statement #2.

Extra point

In this particular space, we've discussed the tricky contract decisions coming for clubs on future free-agent quarterbacks Brock Osweiler and Kirk Cousins. And while the Bills don't need to address Tyrod Taylor's situation in the offseason, giving their quarterback an extension is certainly something to look at.

The ex-Raven signed a three-year deal with Buffalo in March, but the final year voids if Taylor plays 50 percent of the Bills' 2015 or '16 snaps -- and since he's already played 645 snaps (80.9 percent), it's now a certainty that next year will be a contract year for the first-year starter, who is scheduled to make $1 million (plus attainable play-time incentives that could push the deal to $3 million) in his second year with the team.

@AlbertBreer

My 12.11 NFL Notes leading with Russell Wilson's growth and what it means for the Seahawks ... http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000599041/article/week-14-notebook-russell-wilson-making-tom-bradylike-rise

I take my hat off to Rex for TT. Here in Baltimore, no one saw him turning out this good, no one really cared when he left. Before Flacco went on his SB run, I always talked smack to Ravens fans, saying they should be starting TT every time Flacco would bumble. Now, I'm telling them they should've tried to keep TT instead of having to play Matt Scrub, good times.:)

Whaley went out and got him at Rex's request. There was competition for him and to discredit Whaley's involvement is a show of ignorance.

Nix released Fitz and brought EJ in. (Tuel & Thad Lewis were also here.)

Once Whaley took over, he signed Orton and released Lewis & Tuel.

Whaley also brought in the following for the coaches to see: Kevin Kolb, Matt Leinhart, Vince Young, Alex Tanney, Pat White, Dennis Dixon, Tarvaris Jackson, Kenny Guiton, Jordon Palmer, Matt Flynn, Matt Simms, Matt Cassel, Josh Johnson.

He has done everything he could do at the QB position - he's brought in a pool of guys for the coaches to choose from (Marone & Rex).

What Whaley hasn't had is the luxury of a #1 or #2 overall pick in a draft stocked with bona-fide QB's, so he's done the next best thing - go out and bring in as many as possible and let your talent evaluators (coaches) pick the ones they want to go with. That and his last 2 drafts (below) show he can pick quality football players.

2015: Darby - Miller - Karlos Williams - Steward - O'Leary - Dezmin Lewis (Only Lewis won't get a look-see duing the 2015 season)

2014: Watkins - Kouandjio - Preston Brown - Cockrell - Richardson - Randell Johnson - Henderson (Cockrell was cut in '15. Jury is still out on OL's Cyrus and Cyril, =though they seem to bring depth - quality as of yet unknown.)

Whaley also traded for Jerry Hughes, McCoy and brought in Incognito and Harvin,

If the Bills want to continue in the mediocrity of the last 15 years, they should do what they always do - blow it up and start over every 2-3 years! We need the continuity both Whaley & Rex can bring. The recent pot-stirring by Vic Carucci only heightens our collective anxiety. The Pegula's aren't fools - so that tells me they'll extend Whaley at the end of the season.

So Whaley's responsible for everything that works out and everything else is someone else's fault. Got it.

I take my hat off to Rex for TT. Here in Baltimore, no one saw him turning out this good, no one really cared when he left. Before Flacco went on his SB run, I always talked smack to Ravens fans, saying they should be starting TT every time Flacco would bumble. Now, I'm telling them they should've tried to keep TT instead of having to play Matt Scrub, good times.:)

You are incorrect that no one cared or thought TT would not be good. I have many friends who are Ravens fans who told me "watch out for this guy" when the Bills acquired him.

Agreed, however, that it has been fun taunting those same friends as they watch the human pick six machine operate in Baltimore.

It was reported in the offseason that Rex wanted to Sign Tryod to the Jets so its definitely his deal. In fact bringing in Tyrod and McCoy will be one of the reasons Rex sticks around next year after our DEF imploded, BAD MOVE not resigning or replacing Spikes. He was huge in our run DEF last year, cant believe the front office ignored LB this off season.

Going to be a real shame when we cut him.

Are you trolling dude? Theres no way you can be serious TT has played better then all of our QBs for the last 6 seasons.

This board would have melted down were it not for Taylor. As you pointed out, this season would be a nightmare had we not acquired him. I root for whoever the Bills players are...but I was pulling for EJ in preseason and wanted him to start. I'd be blind now to not acknowledge how surprisingly good Taylor has been.

This should be mandatory reading. Whaley, imo, has been a very, very good GM.

Agree 100%. So he mis-fired on EJ, so what? A lot of teams draft high QBs that dont work out, Whaleys other moves have been great (not a fan of the FJax move but not calling for his firing for it).