Sporting News: Tyrod Is Rex's Best Bills Deal

26CornerBlitz

I maintain that Rex has great GM instincts. But you wouldn't want to give him complete control. He and Whaley have balanced each other out for the most part. This past off-season was the best in years.

I agree, they are a nice balance to eachother. I don't agree with Carruci's article suggesting that Whaley is on the hot seat. If we lose out the last 4 games, then maybe. But I think we have a good shot at posting a winning record again, at least. I don't think Rex is going to be pushing for a new GM because he doesn't want a to be a "holdover" like he was with the jets and get a ****ty GM. Especially when whaley had a really good draft year without even having a first round pick.

I don't see Whaley going anywhere unless this last part of the season takes a turn for the worst.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex Wanted Tyrod Taylor, and should get the bulk of the credit for that move.

He also wanted, and vouched for Richie Incognito which was another vast improvement for that O line. Whaley could have / should have signed him last year when the team was grading as the worst in the league. So this looks like its all on Rex Ryan.

Then there is Percy Harvin which started to look like another excellent move as the team is still devoid of a strong #2 WR, and Harvin filled that role until his season ending injury.

While Rex made some great off season moves, but then so did Whaley in trading away Kiko for Shady, and Eagle fans are still crying about the loss of their beloved RB.

The one huge failure of the entire FO / coaching staff was to not to retain Jim Schwartz or duplicate his wide nine defense. Because the defensive scheme the team has been utilizing most of this year is so bad its going back to the Dave Wannstedt / George Edwards years of bad.

So Rex Ryan has his warts too, and I can see these new owners perhaps already wanting to make a change at HC without needing to retool the entire defense to fit Ryan's scheme. Bringing back Schwartz might be on their minds.

As for Whaley I can see the new owners wanting to make a change should the team not make the playoffs this year. From an outsiders view all I hear from my friends who like other teams is the trade up for Watkins in giving up 3 draft picks, and two first rounders for a WR who isn't the best WR in that draft. Particularly since the team didn't already have that franchise QB. Losing that 2015 first round pick set the team back, and that is a huge blunder!

Every stinking time ODB makes a big play or has a big day I get my nose rubbed in it. While a i tend to agree that while Watkins is very good, I also tend to agree with them that he just isn't the game changer that Beckham is all game / season long. Beckham is already at super star status while #4 in receiving yards this year, and Watkins is #40. Just sayin that I can see others view points!

Its all going to depend on how this season ends. Four games to go, and every game a playoff or bust scenario.

Edited by Nihilarian

Nix released Fitz and brought EJ in. (Tuel & Thad Lewis were also here.)

Once Whaley took over, he signed Orton and released Lewis & Tuel.

Whaley also brought in the following for the coaches to see: Kevin Kolb, Matt Leinhart, Vince Young, Alex Tanney, Pat White, Dennis Dixon, Tarvaris Jackson, Kenny Guiton, Jordon Palmer, Matt Flynn, Matt Simms, Matt Cassel, Josh Johnson.

He has done everything he could do at the QB position - he's brought in a pool of guys for the coaches to choose from (Marone & Rex).

Wow, when you put it this way, the list is almost shocking.

It does help put things in perspective, and helps me appreciate even more the work TT has done so far. We're all praying (or something) it continues.

Edited by CSBill

Wow, when you put it this way, the list is almost shocking.

It does help put things in perspective, and helps me appreciate even more the work TT has done so far. We're all praying (or something) it continues.

There are just not many good QBs period. Half the NFL is looking for just one, much less two. Finding Taylor is like finding a diamond ring in a box of Cracker Jacks.

He also wanted, and vouched for Richie Incognito which was another vast improvement for that O line. Whaley could have / should have signed him last year when the team was grading as the worst in the league. So this looks like its all on Rex Ryan.

Then there is Percy Harvin which started to look like another excellent move as the team is still devoid of a strong #2 WR, and Harvin filled that role until his season ending injury.

While Rex made some great off season moves, but then so did Whaley in trading away Kiko for Shady, and Eagle fans are still crying about the loss of their beloved RB.

The one huge failure of the entire FO / coaching staff was to not to retain Jim Schwartz or duplicate his wide nine defense. Because the defensive scheme the team has been utilizing most of this year is so bad its going back to the Dave Wannstedt / George Edwards years of bad.

So Rex Ryan has his warts too, and I can see these new owners perhaps already wanting to make a change at HC without needing to retool the entire defense to fit Ryan's scheme. Bringing back Schwartz might be on their minds.

As for Whaley I can see the new owners wanting to make a change should the team not make the playoffs this year. From an outsiders view all I hear from my friends who like other teams is the trade up for Watkins in giving up 3 draft picks, and two first rounders for a WR who isn't the best WR in that draft. Particularly since the team didn't already have that franchise QB. Losing that 2015 first round pick set the team back, and that is a huge blunder!

Every stinking time ODB makes a big play or has a big day I get my nose rubbed in it. While a i tend to agree that while Watkins is very good, I also tend to agree with them that he just isn't the game changer that Beckham is all game / season long. Beckham is already at super star status while #4 in receiving yards this year, and Watkins is #40. Just sayin that I can see others view points!

Its all going to depend on how this season ends. Four games to go, and every game a playoff or bust scenario.

Agree that this team has Rex's fingerprints on it.

Disagree that anyone is going to look to replace Rex Ryan as the defensive coach on Rex Ryan's team. Not going to happen unless they fire the entire coaching staff.

He used 2-1st rounders but only gave up 1-1st for Sammy. And Sammy is every bit as good as OBJ. He just needs to be targeted more. As for not having a 2015 1st rounder setting them back, can't really say that unless you know who they would have taken and how he would have done. It's conceivable they'd have taken Darby there, and while considered a major reach at the time, would have proven to be worth the pick.

And Whaley is going nowhere even if they don't make the playoffs. He didn't hire Rex, whose defense has been a major disappointment and a reason they're not better than 6-6. OTOH Rex gets credit for pushing hard for TT, RI, and probably Darby. I hope he goes back to Schwartz' defense next year because overhauling everything to make it fit his isn't something I want to see done.

He used 2-1st rounders but only gave up 1-1st for Sammy. And Sammy is every bit as good as OBJ. He just needs to be targeted more. As for not having a 2015 1st rounder setting them back, can't really say that unless you know who they would have taken and how he would have done. It's conceivable they'd have taken Darby there, and while considered a major reach at the time, would have proven to be worth the pick.

And Whaley is going nowhere even if they don't make the playoffs. He didn't hire Rex, whose defense has been a major disappointment and a reason they're not better than 6-6. OTOH Rex gets credit for pushing hard for TT, RI, and probably Darby. I hope he goes back to Schwartz' defense next year because overhauling everything to make it fit his isn't something I want to see done.

regardless of whether anyone likes his scheme, he isn't going to use someone else's. This is the scheme that he has been successful with his entire career. He's the HC. He's implementing it and personnel changes are going to be made to make it as effective as possible. I'm not really advocating for or against it (though tbh I wasn't nearly as much of a fan of Schwartz's as many are here) but that's just the reality of coaches. They have a system, they adapt it to the personnel as needed, but do not change their philosophy or core beliefs on what they want to do. The only way to get Schwartz's D is to hire Schwartz, IMO. Or Gunther Cunningham or someone else who runs/ran a similar scheme. Edited by YoloinOhio

Rex said earlier that they tried implementing some of what Schwartz had done last season. He's done with that now and will go with what he knows from here on out. There will be personnel changes next year with the idea of greater execution of his defense on the field.

regardless of whether anyone likes his scheme, he isn't going to use someone else's. This is the scheme that he has been successful with his entire career. He's the HC. He's implementing it and personnel changes are going to be made to make it as effective as possible. I'm not really advocating for or against it (though tbh I wasn't nearly as much of a fan of Schwartz's as many are here) but that's just the reality of coaches. They have a system, they adapt it to the personnel as needed, but do not change their philosophy or core beliefs on what they want to do. The only way to get Schwartz's D is to hire Schwartz, IMO. Or Gunther Cunningham or someone else who runs/ran a similar scheme.

I disagree because for whatever reason Ryan simply isn't blitzing as much this year as he has in the past. The 2014 NY Jets were #7 in sacks, QB pressures, and DT Sheldon Richardson lead those Jets with 8 sacks, Plus, this year Ryan's scheme is different, and Rex is asking his DT's to cover gap control, and be space eaters vs rushing the QB. Kinda why Marcel Dareus has been complaining about how he has been used in Ryan's system this year since training camp.

There is a real reason the 2015 Bills are near last in QB sacks, pressures, hit hurries, and not solely because of the players. Its more of the scheme they are being asked to run, and the lack of D line rotation. With the players it certainly was far easier for Mario Williams to line up outside the OT to get a direct line to the QB vs having to constantly deal with the OT, and whoever is helping chip.

#1 in the NFL in sacks 2014, #2 in the NFL in sacks 2013, and now 30th in 2015...wtf!

Ryan blitzed 50% of the time against the Patriots in their second game in NE, and it was so effective that Tom Brady was screaming at his offensive line. In that game Brady was pressured more (20 of 40 drop backs) then he has been the last seven years, and Mario, Kyle Williams, and Arron Williams were all absent from injuries. Not only that but the Bills D held the Patriots high scoring offense to a season low 20 points. This just shows that when Ryan wants to blitz he can easily do so, and be very successful at it. Why he isn't blitzing more is something that someone will need to ask him.

Not many personnel changes need to happen for the players to be ideal for Rex's system — we need a playmaking Safety and Linebacker. We would've needed those anyway.

Need a NT, an OLB, an ILB who can cover and probably a DE since neither Kyle Williams nor Dareus can really play on the edge.

Rex said earlier that they tried implementing some of what Schwartz had done last season. He's done with that now and will go with what he knows from here on out. There will be personnel changes next year with the idea of greater execution of his defense on the field.

While Rex Ryan is a very likable guy, and I so want to root for him to win as the Bills HC. I really dislike what he has done with this years defense, and have to wonder how long it will take him to build that elite defense of his. I suspect another four years. ;)

Need a NT, an OLB, an ILB who can cover and probably a DE since neither Kyle Williams nor Dareus can really play on the edge.

Are we totally sure Dareus can't play edge? Hughes and Dareus at DE plus a true NT which shouldn't be impossible to find. I think Mario is gone next year and probably so is Kyle. I'm not sure why they didn't hold onto Red Bryant but maybe he's done for, I haven't seen him play. Either way, yeah OLB/ILB are the biggest weak points and then a real Safety in place of Graham who could move back to Nickel corner. Fill those holes and this unit is elite next year, I think.

Fire Whaley, move Rex to GM, hire Schwartz as head coach.

any of the above. just fix it dammit!

both of those guys are built to get after it, and that is exactly what Dennis should have them be doing. all day. dareus can move out to end if the linebacker can contain the edge. Like M. Lawson does at times

I'm not sure there is one Bills fan on planet Earth that wanted Cassel to start.

now thats just silly, considering how much time you spend here. plenty of us played favorites.

wanted? for sure.

in retrospect, Cassel ..umm.. no