Bill can be the #6 seed in AFC by tomorrow if....

Estro

1. Bills beat Texans

2. Giants beat Jets

3. Colts beat Steelers

4. Chiefs beat Raiders

If all the games above break that way that would leave the Chiefs as the #5 seed and the Bills as the #6 seed.

Bills, Jets, Steelers and Texans would all be 6-6. Bills edge out the Jets because they beat them and they also have the better divisional record.....that would leave the Bills, Steelers and Texans. Bills would edge out both due to AFC record. If the Bills beat the Texans their AFC record goes to 6-5, Texans would be 4-4 in AFC, and Steelers would be 3-5 in AFC if they were to lose to Colts.

If the Raiders beat the Chiefs they edge us out for the #6 spot because they would have a 6-3 AFC record, which is why I think it's better for the Chiefs to win tomorrow. I originally thought it was best for the Raiders to upset the Chiefs, but upon closer inspection I've reconsidered. After looking at the Chiefs remaining games (@OAK, SD, @BAL, CLE, OAK), coupled with their AFC record (5-2) along with the fact that they beat the Bills, and you realize the Bills have little chance to leapfrog them. The Bills would have to win 2 additional games than the Chiefs in the final 5 weeks of the season to leapfrog them in standings, in other words, slim chance.

With all that said a Raiders win doesn't hurt the Bills all that much because the Raiders have a lot of "loseable" games down the stretch (@DEN, GB, SD, @KC).

I realize this post looks desperate, and will look even more foolish at about 4:05 PM Sunday when the Texans beat the Bills, which I fully anticipate, but I felt like being optimistic for 10 minutes tonight and doing what so many fans of other teams get to do.......envision their team making the playoffs!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Bills beat Texans

2. Giants beat Jets

3. Colts beat Steelers

4. Chiefs beat Raiders

If all the games above break that way that would leave the Chiefs as the #5 seed and the Bills as the #6 seed.

Not entirely crazy.... all of these seem viable?!?

Not entirely crazy.... all of these seem viable?!?

If you go to the playoff machine and select home team wins, the Bills make it in at 8-8. Then you go through the weeks and realize the teams that the Bills are competing with actually do win games they are supposed to, and there is actually a lot of hope there. Tiebreakers against the Texans, Jets, and Steelers are extremely helpful and are the last 2 AFC games (Jets and Texans) are must wins in that scenario.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

If you go to the playoff machine and select home team wins, the Bills make it in at 8-8. Then you go through the weeks and realize the teams that the Bills are competing with actually do win games they are supposed to, and there is actually a lot of hope there. Tiebreakers against the Texans, Jets, and Steelers are extremely helpful and are the last 2 AFC games (Jets and Texans) are must wins in that scenario.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

Even more realistically:

Select "higher winning percentage", then flip the results of today's Bills-Texans and Jets-Giants games, and Buffalo gets in as the 6 seed

Estro - Thanks for your homework. I know it's slim chances, and I fully expect us to lose today, but there is a small part of me that would like to keep hope. If this is like anything last year, we will win today against the Texans, like we beat the Packers, and then we lose to the 4-12 Raiders.

My cynical self is we win, get our hopes alive, and the most beatable team in dissaray is the Eagles. We go there and our hopes just slip away.

I'm on way way soon and am resigned to an embarrassing double digit loss as Watt and Hopkins dominate. Hope it's not the case but a warm weather indoor team coming here to play with the season on the line suggests the predictable roll over by Bflo.

1. Bills beat Texans

2. Giants beat Jets

3. Colts beat Steelers

4. Chiefs beat Raiders

Bills, Jets, Steelers and Texans would all be 6-6. Bills edge out the Jets because they beat them and they also have the better divisional record.....that would leave the Bills, Steelers and Texans. Bills would edge out both due to AFC record. If the Bills beat the Texans their AFC record goes to 6-5, Texans would be 4-4 in AFC, and Steelers would be 3-5 in AFC if they were to lose to Colts.

If the Raiders beat the Chiefs they edge us out for the #6 spot because they would have a 6-3 AFC record, which is why I think it's better for the Chiefs to win tomorrow. I originally thought it was best for the Raiders to upset the Chiefs, but upon closer inspection I've reconsidered. After looking at the Chiefs remaining games (@OAK, SD, @BAL, CLE, OAK), coupled with their AFC record (5-2) along with the fact that they beat the Bills, and you realize the Bills have little chance to leapfrog them. The Bills would have to win 2 additional games than the Chiefs in the final 5 weeks of the season to leapfrog them in standings, in other words, slim chance.

With all that said a Raiders win doesn't hurt the Bills all that much because the Raiders have a lot of "loseable" games down the stretch (@DEN, GB, SD, @KC).

I realize this post looks desperate, and will look even more foolish at about 4:05 PM Sunday when the Texans beat the Bills, which I fully anticipate, but I felt like being optimistic for 10 minutes tonight and doing what so many fans of other teams get to do.......envision their team making the playoffs!

classic build and destroy the Bills post

Not sure the Giants beat the Jets. They have improved quite a bit. Colts and Steelers is also iffy. Bills have to win, but they will need to run away from Watts all day and not make stupid mistakes on the field or on the sidelines.

1. Bills beat Texans

2. Giants beat Jets

3. Colts beat Steelers

4. Chiefs beat Raiders

Yes If all of this happens we'll be in the 6th seed!

And a Barbary Ape can fly out of my ass too.

The Bills Don't deserve the playoffs the way they are playing. The playoffs should be for teams that play good consistent football in all three phases. My Team is just not doing that right now. I know I'll get blasted for being a pessimist but not feeling this desperation scenario crap. Talent is there. Coaching and heart are not.

Edited by BeefCurtns

The Chiefs losing is actually better for the Bills' playoffs hopes in the long run.

Yeah, I think so too. Just because they dont have the tie breaker doesnt mean they can't finish with a better record. The Raiders have Broncos, Packers and Chiefs again, they atent making the playoffs even with a win today.