Trump Alone at the Top

George Orwell almost had it right. Although, it's not necessary to go back and revise previous stories. A better strategy emerged: just make the news a swirling mess of vague confusing half truths so that nobody really knows what's going on in the first place...which ensures that eventually nobody really CARES what is really going on anymore.

Perhaps the more accurate prediction came from William Casey, former head of CIA. In 1981 Casey met with the newly elected President Reagan and the cabinet secretaries to brief the president on what they had learned about their agencies during their first few weeks on the job. Casey revealed he was most shocked to learn the analysts in CIA relied upon open source news media for their intelligence gathering and that at least 80% of the intelligence reports they produced came from things like newspapers and magazine articles rather than first hand HUMINT /SIGINT.

Reagan then asked Casey what he saw as his goal as head of CIA. Casey famously replied:

"We'll know our disinformation campaign is complete when everything the American public believes is false."

That was 1981... Almost 36 years later and I'd say the effort to misinform the public has been a massive success.

*^*^^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

HERE’S THE PROBLEM WITH THE STORY CONNECTING RUSSIA TO DONALD TRUMP’S EMAIL SERVER

...Almost 36 years later and I'd say the effort to misinform the public has been a massive success.

*^*^^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

HERE’S THE PROBLEM WITH THE STORY CONNECTING RUSSIA TO DONALD TRUMP’S EMAIL SERVER

I'd say so.

Not only is factual information scrambled beyond recognition, but there is a moral degradation that takes place too. Camus wrote that morality is ultimately not that complicated. The average person has a good basic understanding of what is right and wrong in terms of how to treat people. According to Camus, it's the job of the politician (and other institutions--I think you can plausibly include corporate interests) to convolute issues of morality, in order to get people to do things and to allow things they would not otherwise. The result is a practical Moral Relativism, in which the con artists are able to act without consequence.

Edited by Cugalabanza

SAYS . . . CHRIS CILIZZA? ? ?

Donald Trump gave a very, very good speech today in Pennsylvania.

Trump ended — and, yes, one of the big pluses of the speech is he didn’t go on and on and on — with his strongest point: He is fundamentally different from the people who have been elected president in the modern era.

“I am not a politician,” Trump said. “My only special interest is you, the American people. The guiding rule of the political class in Washington, D.C., is that they are looking out only for themselves. They will say anything, and do anything, to cling to their power and prestige at your expense. I’m running to change and reverse decades of failure, and to work with the American people to create generations of success.”

That is an absolutely perfect message for this I’m-mad-as-hell-and-I’m-not-going-to-take-it-anymore electorate.
People want change desperately. And almost no one believes Clinton represents that radical change — or anything close to it.

SAYS . . . CHRIS CILIZZA? ? ?

Donald Trump gave a very, very good speech today in Pennsylvania.

Trump ended — and, yes, one of the big pluses of the speech is he didn’t go on and on and on — with his strongest point: He is fundamentally different from the people who have been elected president in the modern era.

“I am not a politician,” Trump said. “My only special interest is you, the American people. The guiding rule of the political class in Washington, D.C., is that they are looking out only for themselves. They will say anything, and do anything, to cling to their power and prestige at your expense. I’m running to change and reverse decades of failure, and to work with the American people to create generations of success.”

That is an absolutely perfect message for this I’m-mad-as-hell-and-I’m-not-going-to-take-it-anymore electorate.
People want change desperately. And almost no one believes Clinton represents that radical change — or anything close to it.

Maybe those people are just looking for hope. And change.

JOURNALISM: “I’m enjoying the daily “Hillary’s corruption is the fault of others” pieces in the NYT. Yesterday: GOP. Today: Men.”

That’s a preview of how they’ll cover everything if Hillary’s elected and thus, ironically, is an argument for why Trump will be a safer, more constrained choice. The NYT won’t be making excuses for him.

JOURNALISM: Im enjoying the daily Hillarys corruption is the fault of others pieces in the NYT. Yesterday: GOP. Today: Men.

Thats a preview of how theyll cover everything if Hillarys elected and thus, ironically, is an argument for why Trump will be a safer, more constrained choice. The NYT wont be making excuses for him.

On a related note

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3897406/New-York-Times-reports-95-7-percent-fall-quarterly-profit.html

JOURNALISM: “I’m enjoying the daily “Hillary’s corruption is the fault of others” pieces in the NYT. Yesterday: GOP. Today: Men.”

That’s a preview of how they’ll cover everything if Hillary’s elected and thus, ironically, is an argument for why Trump will be a safer, more constrained choice. The NYT won’t be making excuses for him.

I really want someone to ask Hillary "If you lose the election, will you accept the results?"

Heard an interesting take on calling the election from AP. If they call it early, it's good news for Hillary. If it drags into the night, Trump has a chance. Main reason being that he needs to draw enough electoral votes to balance out California, which is a Hill lock. As of now, they are counting about 260 certain EC votes for Hillary.

I'm surprised that the Times is profitable at all. Now the story about Liz Hurley on the right of the page is worth a look.

One of very few newspapers which can get big national ad deals.

Heard an interesting take on calling the election from AP. If they call it early, it's good news for Hillary. If it drags into the night, Trump has a chance. Main reason being that he needs to draw enough electoral votes to balance out California, which is a Hill lock. As of now, they are counting about 260 certain EC votes for Hillary.

This thing will be over so fast it'll make heads spin.

This thing will be over so fast it'll make heads spin.

A week ago I would have agreed with you. Now I'm not so sure. People that don't like Hillary but had decided to vote for her may have different thoughts now.

It's got me re thinking my decision a little although I would never vote for her.

A week ago I would have agreed with you. Now I'm not so sure. People that don't like Hillary but had decided to vote for her may have different thoughts now.

It's got me re thinking my decision a little although I would never vote for her.

Two words: early voting.

It's over.

It ended when the GOP nominated Trump.

Yep.

One of very few newspapers which can get big national ad deals.

We can all go to bed early if FL, OH or NC go Hillary.

Two words: early voting.

Yet minority early voting is down.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/02/us/politics/black-turnout-falls-in-early-voting-boding-ill-for-hillary-clinton.html?_r=0

You may be right but I think this latest email thing is hurting Hillary at least some. Saw a poll Today where Trump is now 9 points ahead of Killary in trustworthiness. It had been even or close to even for a while.

We'll see ...