MMQB - Peter King just gushing

JÂy RÛßeÒ

Peter King is awesome. I hung out with him this summer when he was in town for Broncos training camp. Drank with him all night, even went to the Rockies game together (he bought my ticket but I bought the first round of beers). Talked early 90's Bills forever. Yes, I'm kind of bragging. Anyway if someone has something negative to say about Peter King then I kind of give up. Whenever people allude to football analysts around here, they put "experts" in quotes; every sports writer/personality is a hack. Everyone loved Sal on WGR until he opined that EJ Manuel might not be very good and then he became a biased member of the lamestream media too. Now every last person on WGR is terrible (obviously). Joe Buscaglia is a hack because he probably can't even throw a spiral. People even think Cris Collinsworth is a poor color man, which is insane. Like seriously, is there one guy that everybody agrees is good at their job?

Jason Whitlock?

I don't mind PK - just don't really love him either. Seems like a super nice guy but kind of a boring read. He has good access though.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still like Sal C. I think he has a much better grasp of the game than the general WGR crew. Schopp and the Bulldog are less informed than the average fan who never watches a game without being pretty drunk. Joe B was awful - asked crap questions at pressers, wrote badly and generally had nothing new to say.

Not read much Peter King - but what I have read he reminds me of a soccer journo over here name Martin Samuel. You don't always agree with him but it is always thought provoking and thought out argument.

And I do feel qualified to critique these guys. I was a sports journalist in my first career.

I enjoy Peter King's MMQB and read it every week. Interesting stuff - almost always. I'm looking forward to his upcoming game planning feature. I'm jealous Metz, he's one media guy I'd love to hang with for an evening. The other is Easterbrook. Both are well-rounded, insightful and smart.

Well if you want to claim to have just proven that sometimes journalists can't write everything they want to in order to not lose connections and access, then you have enlightened us all.

Not to change the subject, but sometimes when Wawrow visits this board, inevitably a few people abuse him for not asking tough questions or leaking insider information. I always wonder what sort of naive kids would think that would be a good idea.

8. I think Ronald Darby is one of the most pro-ready defensive players I’ve seen come into the NFL in years. He’s physical, he’s a clinging defender, and he’s really competitive. What a great pick by Buffalo GM Doug Whaley, nabbing Darby with the 50th pick last spring. How were seven corners picked before Darby?

Chris Berman hahaha

Peter King is awesome. I hung out with him this summer when he was in town for Broncos training camp. Drank with him all night, even went to the Rockies game together (he bought my ticket but I bought the first round of beers). Talked early 90's Bills forever. Yes, I'm kind of bragging. Anyway if someone has something negative to say about Peter King then I kind of give up. Whenever people allude to football analysts around here, they put "experts" in quotes; every sports writer/personality is a hack. Everyone loved Sal on WGR until he opined that EJ Manuel might not be very good and then he became a biased member of the lamestream media too. Now every last person on WGR is terrible (obviously). Joe Buscaglia is a hack because he probably can't even throw a spiral. People even think Cris Collinsworth is a poor color man, which is insane. Like seriously, is there one guy that everybody agrees is good at their job?

First let me say that in my observation of posts - You do seem to paint things with a wide brush.

Tyler Dunne does a very good job reporting for WGR.

I have read and heard sports media people trash Peter King on a number of issues. Once I followed up the comments to see if they were justified and read his MMQB, everything they pointed out was 100% correct. Poorly worded and thought out. He needs a better editor and spell checker.

Being a nice guy doesn't mean you are a well versed expert in football analysis.

Spell checker doesn't correct for poor or wrong use of words. Their and there, are and our and would of instead of would've used incorrectly will go unchecked because they are actual words.

Spell checker doesn't correct for poor or wrong use of words. Their and there, are and our and would of instead of would've used incorrectly will go unchecked because they are actual words.

I have a new phone and AutoCorrect is an absolute beast (in a bad way)... ESPECIALLY w/Swype, it gives you what it thinks you want... In the case of "their v. "there", "i" and "r" can get dicey w/typos and you are given what is closest. I get what you are saying... BUT people just hammer away and really just don't care. It sounds the same, they really don't care... Others get what they are saying. Sad, but that is how we are "evolving." The money is not in the details so much as it is "get it out there."

I am not making excuses either...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I enjoy Peter King's MMQB and read it every week. Interesting stuff - almost always. I'm looking forward to his upcoming game planning feature. I'm jealous Metz, he's one media guy I'd love to hang with for an evening. The other is Easterbrook. Both are well-rounded, insightful and smart.

It was an awesome night. I didn't even know I was gonna get to hang with him until that afternoon and then before I knew it, I'm drunk talking greatest running backs since the merger with an also drunk Peter King in a booth in a bar in downtown Denver. Incidentally, he is the one who told me that Cassel was Roman's guy and the starter by default at that point (something I divulged on here). It was the night of the Cleveland preseason game, which we did not watch. He also said that there was a buzz throughout the league surrounding Taylor and he expected Taylor to seize the job by the end of September. He confirmed that Manuel was not part of the equation. He had just come from Bills camp. That was the night however, that Taylor emerged and won the job.

Not to change the subject, but sometimes when Wawrow visits this board, inevitably a few people abuse him for not asking tough questions or leaking insider information. I always wonder what sort of naive kids would think that would be a good idea.

Exactly.

Chris Berman hahaha

I think the consensus is that the "back, back, back..." shtick at the All Star game has kinda tainted Berman's legacy. Which I would go along with. He's awesome though. The original Primetime back in the day was the best football show ever. Never missed it once.

I do not know how this surprises you. There are "Bills fans" here who hate, yes hate Steve Tasker. Well, this they dislike his new chosen career or rather his performance of it.

Metz- Assuming your not telling a fish story (just kidding), that's an awesome story, and he just seems like a guy anyone would want to hang and talk football. How many other sports analysts have been a feature on 60 minutes?

As far as some posters, nobody ever seems to agree on anything so FWIW, I love King and enjoy Collinsworth. King seems to have a unique perspective, and gains access to so many top football persons (Mgmt, Coaches, Players, etc), basically because he gains trust from the Belichecks of the world.

He used to do NFLR once a week, and was so interestng especially when he was interacting with the callers.

I hope for your sake that he didn't break into song. I've heard him sing several times on Sirius, and the "sound" of his "singing" is somewhat like a dump truck unloading scrap metal into a concrete slab... and off key... like on a different planet off key. :bag:

It was an awesome night. I didn't even know I was gonna get to hang with him until that afternoon and then before I knew it, I'm drunk talking greatest running backs since the merger with an also drunk Peter King in a booth in a bar in downtown Denver. Incidentally, he is the one who told me that Cassel was Roman's guy and the starter by default at that point (something I divulged on here). It was the night of the Cleveland preseason game, which we did not watch. He also said that there was a buzz throughout the league surrounding Taylor and he expected Taylor to seize the job by the end of September. He confirmed that Manuel was not part of the equation. He had just come from Bills camp. That was the night however, that Taylor emerged and won the job.

were you literally or figuratively drunk?

Curious - How many times did you tell Peter that EJ sucks?

So your inside source was an inebriated Peter King who confirmed that Manuel was not part of the equation.

Welp. How incorrect was he now that we are in week 11 Meh is gone, sucking it up big time in Big D and EJ is still the designated backup?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever