Colorblind fans watching had no idea what was going on...

Big Turk

Fans with colorblindness took to twitter to say they had no idea what was happening during the game because all 22 players looked like they were wearing the same uniforms...

"Is this some type of cruel joke by the NFL?" one of them wrote...

Its not funny, but it kinda is...

How the hell do huge corporations worth billions of dollars like Nike and the NFL not realize they are putting out a product that a pretty good size segment of the population will not be able to differentiate?? That has to be an embarrassment for the league...

https://twitter.com/jhutcher/status/664982577019813888

When they announced the new red uniforms it didn't occur to me that the Jest would be wearing all green. Surprised that the NFL allowed it. (Isn't the rule that the home team gets to select dark or light jerseys then the visitors have to use the opposite?)

Anyway, I'm not colorblind but I found it nasty to look at myself.

It was awful for me. As I said in the shoutbox, and in my thread that got deleted during the game, the first INT was nothing short of pure chaos in my brain. I thought 2 Jets WRs were going for the same ball, and that a Jets WR got the tip. Imagine my surprise when the guy with the ball started running what I thought was the wrong way. :lol: It was like this for me:

I didn't know whether to laugh, cry....so I just sat there...stupified.

I imagine this thread will get deleted too...

Before it does...IN...and...there are different degrees of colorblindness. Some people simply can't see the number in the dots.

Some people have to spend the whole game reminding themselves that FItz plays for the Jets now. :lol: The green turf was the real problem. If Nike wants to do another "color rush" then lets do it on blue turf. It's not like they don't have the $.

Deadspin posted a video of what this game might have looked like to someone who is colorblind.

http://deadspin.com/stupid-nike-uniforms-wreaking-havoc-on-colorblind-nfl-f-1742272136

Yep.

And, dammit, I can't see the difference in that video either. I thought there might be some backasswards way that F'ing it up for the rest of you might make it work for me. Nope.

Fans with colorblindness took to twitter to say they had no idea what was happening during the game because all 22 players looked like they were wearing the same uniforms...

"Is this some type of cruel joke by the NFL?" one of them wrote...

Its not funny, but it kinda is...

How the hell do huge corporations worth billions of dollars like Nike and the NFL not realize they are putting out a product that a pretty good size segment of the population will not be able to differentiate?? That has to be an embarrassment for the league...

https://twitter.com/jhutcher/status/664982577019813888

everyone knows that last night and those god awful uniforms were all about making money. There were no considerations besides making more $. The announcers said that was the first time the Bills had ever worn the all reds and let's hope it was the last. We looked like the Arizona Cardinals.

terrible!

i posted about this before the game but red/green color blindness is the most common and i think that i read that it effects 13% of males so not only is that a big chunk of their target tv audience but im guessing there were probably a couple of players who at first glance didnt know who was who. what was nike and the nfl thinking?

It must have been terrible in the days when games were televised in black and white. No one could tell what was going on...

There are plenty of reasons why the uniforms last night were a bad idea, though.

In the days of b&w tv there was still a light vs. dark contrast. The problem for colorblind fans (including two of my close friends) on this one was that there was little contrast so they looked nearly identical. The problem for the rest of us, of course, was that we could actually see that red-and-green monstrosity. Thank god the Bills held on and made it worthwhile.

In the days of b&w tv there was still a light vs. dark contrast. The problem for colorblind fans (including two of my close friends) on this one was that there was little contrast so they looked nearly identical. The problem for the rest of us, of course, was that we could actually see that red-and-green monstrosity. Thank god the Bills held on and made it worthwhile.

Good point on the light vs dark...

At least the Jets looked like the Jets. I kept thinking the Bills looked like they were dressed in Pats* throwbacks.

It must have been terrible in the days when games were televised in black and white. No one could tell what was going on...

There are plenty of reasons why the uniforms last night were a bad idea, though.

B & W tv is where the white vs solid came from. It actually started in hockey, which as you can imagine, would be even more confusing to watch than football.

Good point on the light vs dark...

At least the Jets looked like the Jets. I kept thinking the Bills looked like they were dressed in Pats* throwbacks.

Said the same thing about the Bills looking like they were wearing Patriots uniforms from the late 70s.

I have red-green color blindness. But it only messes me up on those little dots where you are supposed to see a number and I can't. Thankfully, I could see what was going on.

I'm like that too, there was no missing those colors last night. YIKES!

I have pretty severe red-green colorblindness. I couldn't tell the uniforms apart most of the time. Both teams had predominantly white helmets. I thought it was funny. Now that I realize that it has been in the news, maybe I should make a fuss because I am being discriminated against!

For Revis versus Sammy, I was looking at the numbers on their jerseys to tell who was who. Sammy's hair also helped.

In fact, I used numbers a lot. O-Line is mostly 60s and 70s, so I used that to determine who was offense and who was defense when Tyrod was getting chased around in the backfield. Unfortunately, I had plenty of chances to use that technique.

Find it hard to believe they had no idea what was going on...if you know which team is going in which direction when they hv the ball is it really that hard to follow?

I agree, I dont find old black and white games all that difficult to follow.

Apparently this is what it looked like to people with colorblindness, at least some of them

https://t.co/2IRSKpqCGf

That's pretty crazy...

After watching this it completely different then what I thought. Both Jerseys are the same dark shade of gray.

I agree, I dont find old black and white games all that difficult to follow.

After watching this it completely different then what I thought. Both Jerseys are the same dark shade of gray.

Old Black and White games always had one team with a light colored shirt, and the other with a dark colored shirt. It is a fairly recent trend for both shirts to be a medium or dark color.

And yes, as a color blind person, I can assure you that I saw gray versus gray.

Old Black and White games always had one team with a light colored shirt, and the other with a dark colored shirt. It is a fairly recent trend for both shirts to be a medium or dark color.

And yes, as a color blind person, I can assure you that I saw gray versus gray.

I wonder if one of the QBs was truly color blind if they would be forced to do white vs a color, which is whatI think should be done in all games.

What about the very few females that would have seen the game as even more vibrant.

I am not colorblind and absolutely loved the rush of color... SCREW THE 13%. Keep pandering to the majority and maybe those few females out there thar have the extra rod/cone (4th).

Wait till next week... Titans all powder blue and Jagwads all gold!!!!

I posted this in the Bowles thread:

Did you read the article about the females... Was posted sometime ago on OTW.

Basically... It hypothesized that there may be females out there w/super coloring seeing eyes. EXCEPT that they may not know since everything is gauged w/what a normal human eye sees. These super color seeing females would have an extra cone/rod (I forget which as a fourth).

Inagine how they saw the game! EVEN MORE VIBRANT...WOW!

But the thing... Born out of these females is usually a color-blind male.

AND... These super color seeing females don't even know they have the ability to see a ton more shades between the colors than the millions a normal human eye can pick up.

Look it up... The research is fascinating!!

I wonder if one of the QBs was truly color blind if they would be forced to do white vs a color, which is whatI think should be done in all games.

Back in the 80's... Wasn't this the reason Bills went to red helmets. The whole AFCEast wore white helmets... Colts,Pats*,Jets, & Felons.

Fergy was having a hard time telling players apart???

Apparently this is what it looked like to people with colorblindness, at least some of them

https://t.co/2IRSKpqCGf

That's pretty crazy...

Even Rex said he hard a little hard time! Now... Just imagine if Bum Phillips was coaching that game. LMAO...

i am colorblind as well, and the game was horrible watch. All i really saw was 22 white helmets running around. When the camera zoomed in, i could see ok, but when they pull back to show a play, and they start moving, both uniforms and the field tend to blend together.

i am colorblind as well, and the game was horrible watch. All i really saw was 22 white helmets running around. When the camera zoomed in, i could see ok, but when they pull back to show a play, and they start moving, both uniforms and the field tend to blend together.

It would be cool if there was tech that could make something like this user defined. Almost like CC (closed captioning).

I totally loved the rush of color!!! So enjoyable and vibrant!!!!

It's got to be by degrees I'm sure. I can tell the difference between green and red in the pictures in today's paper and closer up shots during the game - or even at the line of scrimmage, I can tell but when action got going and especially on a pass player, there was not enough contrast to know which team was which.

Too late for me, but I saw after the game that you can change the "hue" on your TV and make the Bills look like they had blue uniforms.

What about the very few females that would have seen the game as even more vibrant.

I am not colorblind and absolutely loved the rush of color... SCREW THE 13%. Keep pandering to the majority and maybe those few females out there thar have the extra rod/cone (4th).

Wait till next week... Titans all powder blue and Jagwads all gold!!!!

I posted this in the Bowles thread:

Did you read the article about the females... Was posted sometime ago on OTW.

Basically... It hypothesized that there may be females out there w/super coloring seeing eyes. EXCEPT that they may not know since everything is gauged w/what a normal human eye sees. These super color seeing females would have an extra cone/rod (I forget which as a fourth).

Inagine how they saw the game! EVEN MORE VIBRANT...WOW!

But the thing... Born out of these females is usually a color-blind male.

AND... These super color seeing females don't even know they have the ability to see a ton more shades between the colors than the millions a normal human eye can pick up.

Look it up... The research is fascinating!!

I looked it up. It says the daughter of a color blind man could inherit normal cones from the mother and abnormal cones from the father, which could then lead to a girl with enhanced color sensitivity. I believe that my daughter could have that trait. I will talk to her about it when I get a chance. :thumbsup: