The Mizzou/Yale/PC/Free Speech Topic

FireChan

Boy,  that left-wing boycott sure hurt..........?

Chick-fil-A surpasses Burger King, Taco Bell on best-selling list

by Nicolas Vega

Original Article

Chick-fil-A is now the second-highest-grossing restaurant chain in the US—despite not being open on Sundays. Thanks to sales growth in 2019 of 13 percent to $11.3 billion, the chicken slinger leapfrogged over Taco Bell and Burger King to second place behind McDonald’s, according to Restaurant Business Magazine’s annual list of top 500 restaurants. The Atlanta-based chain’s dominance is even more impressive considering it has only 2,470 locations in the United States.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

Boy,  that left-wing boycott sure hurt..........?

Chick-fil-A surpasses Burger King, Taco Bell on best-selling list

by Nicolas Vega

Original Article

Chick-fil-A is now the second-highest-grossing restaurant chain in the US—despite not being open on Sundays. Thanks to sales growth in 2019 of 13 percent to $11.3 billion, the chicken slinger leapfrogged over Taco Bell and Burger King to second place behind McDonald’s, according to Restaurant Business Magazine’s annual list of top 500 restaurants. The Atlanta-based chain’s dominance is even more impressive considering it has only 2,470 locations in the United States.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/mcdonalds-has-a-real-competitor-in-chick-fil-a-51560162600

Chick-Fil-A, founded in 1946 in Atlanta and still private under the control of founder Samuel Cathy’s family, is one of the largest chicken-focused quick service restaurant chains in the U.S.—and growing fast. The chain sold about $10.7 billion worth of food last year, according to Bank of America estimates. That’s about 9% of the total revenue for the 27 largest burger, chicken and sandwich chains in the U.S., up from the 4% share eight years ago.

From 2010 to 2018, Chick-Fil-A has increased its revenue at a 15% annual rate, while the whole industry only grew by 3.4%. The chain has opened more new stores, while maintaining high-single-digit growth in per-store sales at the same time. In 2018, Chick-Fil-A had an average of $4.7 million sales per store, well above the $2.8 million for McDonald’s and $1.3 to $1.8 million for most other peers.

An expanding Chick-Fil-A has been mostly eating up Subway’s business over the past decade, as Subway’s market share has decreased from 12% to 8% since 2010. If the chicken-sandwich chain continues to get bigger, however, it would likely step into the space of other rivals in the coming years, Francfort wrote in a Friday note. He expects Chick-Fil-A to reach a 15% industry share by 2025, up from the current 9%.

This bodes well for gaining new franchisees.

• Like (+1) 1

On Tuesday, late-night show host Jimmy Fallon became the center of a lot of outrage brigade Twitter’s anger when a skit he did back in 2000 was dug up and shown for all the internet to see.

The skit features Fallon dressing and acting as Chris Rock would, but completely with blackface.

Actually, there is an excuse. He was doing a harmless comedy bit that was devoid of racism.

Fallon shouldn’t have apologized because what Fallon did wasn’t racist.

Firstly, Fallon was impersonating Chris Rock, and was doing a fabulous job of it too. Reportedly, Rock even thought Fallon’s impression was spot on and funny. Moreover, Fallon wasn’t engaging in stereotypes, degrading the black population, or making a pointed statement about the black community. He was literally impersonating Chris Rock.

But let’s say that he was making comedy around stereotypes. Would it be racist then?

It depends on how the stereotype is portrayed. Not all portrayals of stereotypes are hateful and the people who use them for comedy are usually just having harmless fun.

Dave Chappelle did whiteface multiple times during the Chappelle Show and nobody batted an eye despite his portrayal as a stereotypical representative of a white culture that no one else liked.

Fallon’s portrayal of Rock was also a harmless skit done in the name of comedy. He, like comedians who played races they didn’t belong to, did nothing wrong.

Fallon made a mistake by apologizing, in no small part because apologizing confirms to his accusers that he is guilty of having done something wrong. This only teaches race-obsessed people that they were correct in their outrage and that mobbing someone will result in the desired knee-bending.

Fallon’s apology effectively made the racism problem in America worse by not defending himself.

https://www.redstate.com/brandon_morse/2020/05/27/why-jimmy-fallon-shouldnt-have-apologized/

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/17/2020 at 1:22 PM, B-Man said:

Thumbnail

Unfortunately chemistry majors must go through English and Sociology classes. My worst professor was a sociology professor who told me math was mainly used to keep minorities down. She also bad mouthed anyone who was successful financially and one fine day said everyone who lived in my town was racist because there was a racist cop who lived there- I have no idea if he was racist.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Unfortunately chemistry majors must go through English and Sociology classes. My worst professor was a sociology professor who told me math was mainly used to keep minorities down. She also bad mouthed anyone who was successful financially and one fine day said everyone who lived in my town was racist because there was a racist cop who lived there- I have no idea if he was racist.

That’s like saying all Mexican immigrants are criminals because one Mexican immigrant committed a rape.  It’s not right to paint with a broad brush in either instance. 

42 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

That’s like saying all Mexican immigrants are criminals because one Mexican immigrant committed a rape.  It’s not right to paint with a broad brush in either instance. 

She was not bright- but she felt ok to say dumb things so long as it never insulted minorities. The difference though between you and me is I take full quotes and not just the parts that allow me to be outraged. 

48 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

The only thing I remember from sociology was that my teacher didn't like wearing a bra.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Lets have  Eddie MurphyAploogize for jhis "White Like Me " SNL skit and for playing an old Jewish man in the barbershop scene in Coming ro America.

Edited by Wacka

20 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

The only thing I remember from sociology was that my teacher didn't like wearing a bra.

I think it was called a Bro back in the day. 

the bro.jpeg

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

Jesus, did Biden say THAT today?  

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd

26 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Lets have  Eddie Murphy apologize for his "White Like Me " SNL skit and for playing an old Jewish man in the barbershop scene in Coming to America.

source.gif

10 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

No.

Thats the famous false-narrative of what Trump supposedly said.

35 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

She was not bright- but she felt ok to say dumb things so long as it never insulted minorities. The difference though between you and me is I take full quotes and not just the parts that allow me to be outraged. 

When do I get outraged about partial quotes? 

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

Actually, there is an excuse. He was doing a harmless comedy bit that was devoid of racism.

Fallon shouldn’t have apologized because what Fallon did wasn’t racist.

Firstly, Fallon was impersonating Chris Rock, and was doing a fabulous job of it too. Reportedly, Rock even thought Fallon’s impression was spot on and funny. Moreover, Fallon wasn’t engaging in stereotypes, degrading the black population, or making a pointed statement about the black community. He was literally impersonating Chris Rock.

Fallon’s portrayal of Rock was also a harmless skit done in the name of comedy. He, like comedians who played races they didn’t belong to, did nothing wrong.

Fallon made a mistake by apologizing, in no small part because apologizing confirms to his accusers that he is guilty of having done something wrong. This only teaches race-obsessed people that they were correct in their outrage and that mobbing someone will result in the desired knee-bending.

Fallon’s apology effectively made the racism problem in America worse by not defending himself.

https://www.redstate.com/brandon_morse/2020/05/27/why-jimmy-fallon-shouldnt-have-apologized/

Jamie Foxx Says What We're All Thinking When He Defends Jimmy Fallon Over the Blackface Controversy

FTA:

Fallon apologized, saying there was no excuse for doing so, though it would appear that not everyone agrees with the outrage in the Hollywood community. Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx spoke up on Instagram in the comments of the E! News post about Fallon, telling everyone that they need to drop this one and calling the premise of Fallon committing a racist act a “stretch.”

“He was doing an impression of chris rock,” wrote Foxx. “It wasn’t black face. We comedians I know it’s a tough time right now. But this one is a stretch. On a show called in living color we played every race Let this one go. We got bigger fish to fry … #changecourse.”

4 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Tell us Mr. Lawyer, are all illegal immigrants criminals? If not, why is breaking the law not criminal?

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Who said all Mexicans are criminals?  

3 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

Tell us Mr. Lawyer, are all illegal immigrants criminals? If not, why is breaking the law not criminal?

You're the only one talking about illegal immigrants, my man.  Not the issue here.  

25 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I don't believe the statement was attributed to any person or group.  It was illustrative.  Did I misread?

Now, if you're asking whether Trump and his cult have weaponized migration, the answer obviously is yes. 

7 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

The Democrats. Trump said MS-13 were criminals. The Democrats took it to another level and said all were criminals.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Now, if you're asking whether Trump and his cult have weaponized migration, the answer obviously is yes. 

Trump has not weaponized immigration, he has made slowing illegal immigration a plank in his platform. Please stop conflating legal and illegal immigration.

I don't believe the statement was attributed to any person or group.  It was illustrative.  Did I misread?

Illustrative?  Is that a new tactic to get out of saying stupid *****?  One man’s illustration is another’s insinuation.  So counselor what were you insinuating?  

Weaponized?  Nah conservatives (no cult here) feel that it’s important to have a secure border and a viable immigration policy for many reasons. 

What are your thoughts on immigration?

18 minutes ago, Gary M said:

Trump has not weaponized immigration, he has made slowing illegal immigration a plank in his platform. Please stop conflating legal and illegal immigration.

You should mention that to third and short. 

Just now, Chef Jim said:

Weaponized?  Nah conservatives (no cult here) feel that it’s important to have a secure border and a viable immigration policy for many reasons. 

What are your thoughts on immigration?

Believe it or not, so do centrists and liberals.  We just disagree on how it is to be done intelligently and effectively.  Trump thinks a sea to sea static monolith is a good plan.  I watched Narcos a couple of times and realized that 1980s technology will defeat a wall.  I also realize that there aren’t a hell of a lot of illegals wandering around in the vastness of Big Bend National Park.  So I think a sea to sea wall is a wasteful measure.  

Apparently conservatives agree with me since Trump couldn’t get the sea to sea edifice funded by Congress.  So now Trump has savaged the Constitution to try to make good on a campaign promise that he lacked the skill to keep.  If your conservatism is such that you support funding a sea to sea border wall through a national emergency declaration and through liberal use of eminent domain, that’s on you.  Those aren’t the principles to which I ascribe. 

13 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Illustrative?  Is that a new tactic to get out of saying stupid *****?  One man’s illustration is another’s insinuation.  So counselor what were you insinuating?  

The only one insinuating anything is you. Maybe its Freudian, I don’t know.  But I simply illustrated a context in which it would be bad to paint with a broad brush.  If you took that as a suggestion that Trump has tried to demonize a largely poor foreign group for his own benefit and the benefit of his followers, there’s not too much that I can do about that. 

16 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I think it was called a Bro back in the day. 

the bro.jpeg

No he was distracted during public health and economic crises by his own baseless promotion a long-discredited conspiracy theory regarding a political foe. 

14 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Believe it or not, so do centrists and liberals.  We just disagree on how it is to be done intelligently and effectively.  Trump thinks a sea to sea static monolith is a good plan.  I watched Narcos a couple of times and realized that 1980s technology will defeat a wall.  I also realize that there aren’t a hell of a lot of illegals wandering around in the vastness of Big Bend National Park.  So I think a sea to sea wall is a wasteful measure.  

Apparently conservatives agree with me since Trump couldn’t get the sea to sea edifice funded by Congress.  So now Trump has savaged the Constitution to try to make good on a campaign promise that he lacked the skill to keep.  If your conservatism is such that you support funding a sea to sea border wall through a national emergency declaration and through liberal use of eminent domain, that’s on you.  Those aren’t the principles to which I ascribe. 

The only one insinuating anything is you. Maybe its Freudian, I don’t know.  But I simply illustrated a context in which it would be bad to paint with a broad brush.  If you took that as a suggestion that Trump has tried to demonize a largely poor foreign group for his own benefit and the benefit of his followers, there’s not too much that I can do about that. 

Do you feel that a secure border is an important part to a good immigration policy?

So you don’t feel that Trump was saying all Mexicans are criminals and if not can you at least agree that many on the left, include the “unbiased media” claimed he did?  

I noticed you didn’t answer my question about your thoughts on immigration. What would you suggest is good immigration policy? 

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

Do you feel that a secure border is an important part to a good immigration policy?

So you don’t feel that Trump was saying all Mexicans are criminals and if not can you at least agree that many on the left, include the “unbiased media” claimed he did?  

I noticed you didn’t answer my question about your thoughts on immigration. What would you suggest is good immigration policy? 

I can’t speak to what “many on the left” have said.  

With respect to immigration, like the vast majority of Americans I agree that we need secure borders.  We differ on how to effectively accomplish that.  I believe a wall is an effective measure in urban areas and high-traffic places, such as in San Diego and in parts of Arizona.  More remote areas may benefit from different safeguards.  

I also believe that immigration should be accomplished legally.  How “loose” the rules are in that respect, that is, how many immigrants should be admitted on an annual basis, I’m not qualified to say.  

What I do not believe in is demonizing a group of people for political gain.  It has happened in this country with respect to African-Americans, Irish, and Chinese, and now it’s happening with respect Mexicans (and, arguably, Chinese again).  It’s wrong on a variety of levels, and it’s an approach that I will not stand for. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-mexicans-rapists-remark-reference-2018-4

47 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I can’t speak to what “many on the left” have said.  

With respect to immigration, like the vast majority of Americans I agree that we need secure borders.  We differ on how to effectively accomplish that.  I believe a wall is an effective measure in urban areas and high-traffic places, such as in San Diego and in parts of Arizona.  More remote areas may benefit from different safeguards.  

I also believe that immigration should be accomplished legally.  How “loose” the rules are in that respect, that is, how many immigrants should be admitted on an annual basis, I’m not qualified to say.  

What I do not believe in is demonizing a group of people for political gain.  It has happened in this country with respect to African-Americans, Irish, and Chinese, and now it’s happening with respect Mexicans (and, arguably, Chinese again).  It’s wrong on a variety of levels, and it’s an approach that I will not stand for. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-mexicans-rapists-remark-reference-2018-4

So what is your plan for the remote areas?  How many people have you met that are here illegally and where did they come across? Having said that a wall I the remote areas makes more sense to me.  I think a “funnel” is better than a wall to be honest. 

And you can’t speak for what “many on the left” have said. So I take it you’ve not been paying attention to that “conversation” which is fine. Not sure how you could have missed it though. You do know that is way so many accuse him of being a racist right?  

EDIT:  Sorry I missed your link. So you have been paying attention and you do feel that Trump said all Mexicans are criminals and rapists. So you were making an insinuation.Now that I think about it it appears you were not making an insinuation but an accusation.  Thanks for the clarification. ??

Edited by Chef Jim

15 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

So what is your plan for the remote areas?  How many people have you met that are here illegally and where did they come across? Having said that a wall I the remote areas makes more sense to me.  I think a “funnel” is better than a wall to be honest. 

And you can’t speak for what “many on the left” have said. So I take it you’ve not been paying attention to that “conversation” which is fine. Not sure how you could have missed it though. You do know that is way so many accuse him of being a racist right? 

Use tech and human safeguards in remote areas.  Building a static wall there is a waste of money.   Focus resources on more critical areas.  If there isn’t a problem with illegals in, say, Big Bend National Park, we shouldn’t spend $1m/mile or whatever the cost of the wall is (I actually think it’s quite a bit more) in that place.  I appreciate that there might be more long-term costs in such areas (e.g., paying people, cost of maintaining cameras, drones, etc.), but we probably would need such long-term measures even with the wall given the ease with which such a device may be breached.  In other words, relying solely on wall in remote areas is a bad idea, so the concern with respect to human and technological costs probably isn’t a big one. 

19 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

EDIT:  Sorry I missed your link. So you have been paying attention and you do feel that Trump said all Mexicans are criminals and rapists. So you were making an insinuation.Now that I think about it it appears you were not making an insinuation but an accusation.  Thanks for the clarification. ??

Don’t put words in my mouth.  I don’t believe that Trump called Vicente Fox or Fernando Valenzuela a rapist, or that he said that all Mexican women are rapists.  I do believe that he has demonized Mexicans for his own gain.  That much is sure.