Fitzy speaks on Buffalo!

FireChan

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has one from the Titans game.

I'm talking about the kind of games that start to put you on the NFL map nationally. These next two games can do that if he comes through in a big way. We have all been waiting for that turning point where Bills nation can finally say we found our QB for the long haul. It's fun to think about that possibility heading into these games.

Much cheaper.

Kolb signed a deal that was incentive-laden and worth up to $6.5M/year if he hit certain markers. Fitz's deal paid him $10M/year.

I agree that Fitz was the safer choice. I think the team assumed they were starting from scratch with a rookie, so there was no need to pay twice as much for a guy that was maybe 5% better (at least that's what they were thinking at the time).

The problem was what they told him at the time, which was stupid and what he was offended by, which was we need you to take a pay cut and we are likely to draft a QB in the first round and you will likely be a backup. The didn't want the fans to think that, or Fitz I guess, to go into the season thinking he was the starter. If they would have told him what they told Kolb, or even that he would just have every chance to win the job in training camp, he likely would have taken half the money and stayed.

He was offended when they told him he was going to be a backup and immediately said I am out of here.

I like Fitz a lot as a person but he has definite limitations as a QB. He played out of his mind for a handful of weeks and got paid for it, but looking back the contract was a mistake.

I'm sure jets fans like what they see out of him.. I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Pretty spot on here. I don't think his contract was out of line, though.

Rich Cimini's article proclaiming Fitz as the QB the Jets always wanted (wow), reminded me of how much we loved him when he played well here. Easily one of the easiest guys to root for. Tough as nails and a bit weird, really a great combination for Buffalo. I think Fitz likes to hang onto the ball a bit too long...hoping this is the week the D can get into the backfield consistently.

The problem was what they told him at the time, which was stupid and what he was offended by, which was we need you to take a pay cut and we are likely to draft a QB in the first round and you will likely be a backup. The didn't want the fans to think that, or Fitz I guess, to go into the season thinking he was the starter. If they would have told him what they told Kolb, or even that he would just have every chance to win the job in training camp, he likely would have taken half the money and stayed.

He was offended when they told him he was going to be a backup and immediately said I am out of here.

I'd do the same thing; why take a pay cut when you have guaranteed money coming?

Much cheaper.

Kolb signed a deal that was incentive-laden and worth up to $6.5M/year if he hit certain markers. Fitz's deal paid him $10M/year.

I agree that Fitz was the safer choice. I think the team assumed they were starting from scratch with a rookie, so there was no need to pay twice as much for a guy that was maybe 5% better (at least that's what they were thinking at the time).

Yeah, I can see the money part then. Hindsight says it was an awful move, but I don't think anyone was confident Kolb was going to do us any favors.

Fitz was a good s***. Nix was smoking crack when he cut that contract. The argument could be made if that contract had been reasonable he would still be here.

The only reason he was cut was Nix being recorded

I actually thought that his level of play at the time of the deal was right in line with what he signed for...it made him the 19th-highest paid QB in the NFL, and put him right between what Kevin Kolb and Matt Cassel were making.

but, it was going to be too big for a backup...and that's where Fitz was going to land .

Edited by plenzmd1

Fitz wasn't great last year for Houston, but he was definitely decent. The Texans should have even more reason to regret his departure than the Bills given their current situation. I don't know why teams don't keep guys like him and instead opt for inferior players. I suppose it's a "grass is always greener" situation, but when the grass is Hoyer/Mallett/Mettenberger/Locker/Manuel/Kolb, you can be sure it's drought-stricken turf that's been spray-painted green.

FWIW, though, I think Orton was about as good as Fitz.

Edited by dave mcbride

Much cheaper.

IIRC, you're talking about cap numbers, not what Fitz was set to receive in '13. I think he was set to make $5 mil in roster bonus and salary that year.

Both sides overplayed their hand. Bills were stupid to cut him outright because there were no decent backups available, and the going rate for a decent backup was in the $4 million range. Fitz blew it by thinking he could get more than $5 million in the open market. I think he ended up signing for $3 million with Tenn.

Egos have a way of clouding best judgments.

It's unreal to me that anyone would actually lament the loss of this awful football player. What do you miss more? The soul-crushing interceptions, or the ball slipping out of his baby-sized hands when he tried to put a little extra on his throw?

He seems like a nice guy, but I hated him as a QB. You just knew that the team was going nowhere as long as he remained behind center.

A little unrelated, but fitz and the jets with a winning record reminds me of how good a game caller Chan is.

The guy is the best OC around, and has been for a long time in my book.

So good he got promoted to HC which isnt where he's best. Same with Wade as a DC. Those guys are still among the best coordinators in the game.

Fitz was a good s***. Nix was smoking crack when he cut that contract. The argument could be made if that contract had been reasonable he would still be here.

The contract was nothing if not reasonable . It was obvious that Fitzpatrick was the staring QB, as they were 6 games into the season, and he finished the previous season as starter. He was playing on a 3rd string FA contract. The deal paid him a starting salary commensurate with exactly the sixteenth highest paid starter in the league. Can't really get more middle of the road than that. Once a guy becomes your unquestioned starting QB you can't really continue in good faith to pay him 3rd string $.

Wow. Respect for those comments by Fitz. He is class. I know he said those things when he left, but even now with some success, he's still able to admit he played poorly while here. Hard not to like this guy... until he throws the first TD on Thursday, then I will hate him.