Question about being at the game in the lower bowl

bbb

Except for the possible exception of you going to games since 1979, not one thing here is true.

I've gone to games every year since 1968, and am now on our 30th season with season tickets in the lower level. I know what I'm talking about - as reflected by everybody else's answers.

Exactly. I don't even know if it's etiquette. It just makes sense. The energy level raises when it should.

I feel badly at times, because I don't want to block the view of the people behind me, however if I don't stand, I can't see. So I'm always feeling guilty for standing as much as I have to.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stuff you people complain about . . . Smh.

Simple solution . . . don't go to the game.

It's more of an observation.

I know a lot of people here do NOT go to the game. That ain't me.

I don't think we sat at all for that game

That's exactly it. The Giants game was not on the level of "so much energy we're never sitting down" - unlike playoff games, the above mentioned Rams conga line game, etc.

Maybe it's been so long since we had really big games, that we're confused as to what's worthy anymore.

You are on the spot with question 1) ... why?

Now question 2) ... how can the "standing rate" be reversed back to more reasonable levels?

I've got no ideas on that.

My only reason question is question 1. I'm asking how and why it started................I don't think it can be reversed, either..................I have never once in my life, with many hundreds of games, and hundreds of concerts - asked or told anybody to ever sit down. I think people should be able to get their money's worth.............And, I've been told to sit down tons of times. Many times I say you tell those people in front of me.

Anybody know why we stand all game long for every game now?

The first time it ever happened was for the Oilers playoff game on 1/1/89. The stadium was insane for the whole game and nobody sat down.

I think it happened maybe at some playoff games after that, but it doesn't stick in my mind.

Then, it happened for the Dallas MNF crazy game in 2007. The energy that night was at least at playoff level.

Then, it happened a month or so later for the Pats game that got time switched to SNF. Except that the energy was soon gone after the Pats were destroying us. But, nobody sat down anyway, for some reason.

Now, it's every single game, all game long.

It used to mean something when the announcer would say "And, the crowd is on it's feet!"

It does seem like other teams are like this now, too (it used to be a big complaint about going to Raiders games - because of the crappy stadium, the people in the front rows had to stand, and therefore everybody behind them had to, too. People would not buy lower bowls who did not want to stand. It was well known)

Anybody have a theory?

We don't have that problem in the lower part of the upper deck but occasionally we get the premature ejaculator that constantly flies out of their seat as the QB is releasing the ball or as the RB is hitting the LOS.

That is a universal wrong.

I prefer standing when I watch the Bills and actually usually stand in my living room. Too much nervous energy to sit comfortably. I sat in 13th row for Bills Giants, sat whenever I could for those behind but most of the time the folks in front of us were up. I prefer it but can understand why it'd be bothersome for some.

lol...now that is funny

It's more of an observation.

I know a lot of people here do NOT go to the game. That ain't me.

That's exactly it. The Giants game was not on the level of "so much energy we're never sitting down" - unlike playoff games, the above mentioned Rams conga line game, etc.

Maybe it's been so long since we had really big games, that we're confused as to what's worthy anymore.

I must have missed something. What is the rams conga line game?

It's a matter of degree (including all components such as game situation, age, weather, etc.). I'm rarely the first one up, but I won't hesitate to get up and stay up as long as I have to to see. The people in front of me vary, but know football and know when to rise. I guess in that respect I'm a bit of a follower, which doesn't sit well with me. But I have to see! The people behind me just have to go with the flow. If I'm standing to see, they're out of luck and I don't care.

My only reason question is question 1. I'm asking how and why it started................I don't think it can be reversed, either..................I have never once in my life, with many hundreds of games, and hundreds of concerts - asked or told anybody to ever sit down. I think people should be able to get their money's worth.............And, I've been told to sit down tons of times. Many times I say you tell those people in front of me.

I only asked someone to sit down one time. We were about 20 rows in the upper deck on the Bills side near the goal line. He was the only person standing, and stood most of the game. The action was about mid field moving away from us, and even HE was watching the game on the jumbo. He was also pretty trashed.

I asked him to sit, and he gave me a real eff you look, turned around and stayed standing, even during commercials. He was about twice my size, and was blocking a few people's view. I just shrugged my shoulders and watched the game on the screen when I had to.

I have MS and cannot stand the whole game, but I always stand when there is a reason! There is nothing like a live game, so you enjoy the good and try to ignore the dick heads. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I have been going to games since 1979 and the lower bowl has always stood. Sometime in the 2000's they tried to enforce the 'sit except during exciting plays or downs' and it has failed. Just saying I think the entire premise of your question is false, people have been standing as long as I can remember so saying it is a new thing doesn't hold water. I think the "sit" movement started because of people who physically can't stand that long complaining. I see their point but I do not know what can be truly done to stop it.

Yeah, my entire premise is false, but now there's a front page article in the Buffalo News about it:

Ralph regulars can’t stand fans who won’t sit down

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/04/standing-spectators-get-a-rise-out-of-regular-bills-fans/

And, here's the letter to the editor mentioned in the story:

Bills supporter can’t stand up for standing up

I’m a long time fan of the Buffalo Bills. I have attended many games over the last 30 years. Recently, I have encountered a problem while attending these games. The fans in the stands find it necessary to stand for the entire game. I can see standing up and cheering for big plays and scoring plays but not constantly.

When I complain to fans that are standing in front of me, I’m told that if I want to sit to stay home and sit on my couch. I love going to the games and pay good money for a seat that I can’t sit in if I want to see the game. I bring my young nephew to these games and he can’t see over the people that are constantly standing in front of him.

Can something be done? I can’t stand for this too much longer.

Steve Marsh

Depew

We flew up for the Bills/Pats game from FL as we go to one game a year. for the most part as we were on the 40 yard line, upper deck, was standing for all defensive plays, sitting for most of the offense, except when it was an exciting play. I was fine with it, but even before I moved to FL in 91, most of the time people were standing most of the game.

Of course back then, we had Kelly and company scoring in 60-90 seconds. I understand the OP wanting people to sit more, but it's not going to happen. Just like Rex won't adjust to his players. He expects everyone to change to his perceived strengths.

Bills Fan Code of Conduct.

“Excessive standing/behavior detracting from the enjoyment of fellow fans. Spontaneous reactions to plays within the game are expected and encouraged, but your continued standing when other fans are sitting is not permitted. Stand for exciting moments, but sit when others sit during ‘down’ times,"

Report them, that is part of your ticket price.

We flew up for the Bills/Pats game from FL as we go to one game a year. for the most part as we were on the 40 yard line, upper deck, was standing for all defensive plays, sitting for most of the offense, except when it was an exciting play. I was fine with it, but even before I moved to FL in 91, most of the time people were standing most of the game.

Of course back then, we had Kelly and company scoring in 60-90 seconds. I understand the OP wanting people to sit more, but it's not going to happen. Just like Rex won't adjust to his players. He expects everyone to change to his perceived strengths.

Really, because the OP asked the question about why this is happening. Not that I couldn't do it.............In fact, I'd rather be at our old seats in 108 where you stand all game, then in 110 where you get up and down 40 times, as the article mentions. (The article that it seems you didn't read)

I've had season tickets for 30 straight years, and have gone to games every year since 1968. You want to ignore the article and me saying this is a recent phenomenon?

As I mentioned in the OP, we used to stand all game for playoff games. That NE game you went to this year was as fired up as a playoff game.

I'm talking about standing for an average game.

I asked the question - and since then I thought about the answer - and it was given in the article. College hoops and football games - the student section never sits anymore. That was not the case in the past...........So, it's the norm for that generation.

They stand at the Pats stadium also... They don't at Jets stadium, and Dolphins stadium isn't full enough to know.

In my OP, I said it's not just our stadium. I see it on TV all the time now.

Bills Fan Code of Conduct.

“Excessive standing/behavior detracting from the enjoyment of fellow fans. Spontaneous reactions to plays within the game are expected and encouraged, but your continued standing when other fans are sitting is not permitted. Stand for exciting moments, but sit when others sit during ‘down’ times,"

Report them, that is part of your ticket price.

Pretty hard to report the whole lower bowl!

And, the only time I'd ever be mad about anybody standing is if they are the only ones - or if they're "that guy" - the guy who turns around and says drunkingly - Hey, get up! Stand up!!

When the 12 rows in front of me sit, I'll sit. Until then I will be standing.

I almost got in a fight with the guy behind me last year, who was telling me to sit down - when people were standing in front of me. I said you tell them to sit down.........He was on the spot and said something to them - they told him to !@#$ off! LOL