Realistically, how does this all play out?

Because Tyrod won't finish the season, we already have 4 losses, the coaching sux, we still play NE, a healthy Dallas, the Jets twice and a surging Miami and our star players can't even stay healthy. How's that for a start?

You seriously sound like this guy...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, I don't think the Pegulas care about the money as much as they do as fielding a winner.

Fielding a winner does more for the bottom line in the long term.

If things really crap the bed here where you've got a 5-11 season, I wouldn't be surprised to see the house cleaned.

While I wouldn't be surprised if Whaley is fired, I'd be disappointed. I can't think of anything he, or another GM, could do to turn this team around, realistically speaking. It's a crap shoot finding QBs in the draft, and none of value are available in free agency, generally speaking.

Hopefully Tyrod comes back and lights it up, otherwise... this team is screwed for the next few years, at the least.

anyone who fires a coach after 1 year is just a bad organization every year.

Why does everyone say this? If you know the coach is bad why waste 3-4 years to fire him? Fire him now and fix your mistake.

Admit it- Rex was a mistake. Keeping Schwartz as DC I have no reason to sliver we wouldn't have a top 5 defense. Right now we are about 20th. He is not a fit for our personel. It's easier to get a new coach rater than rework the entire freaking roster.

This same attitude of kicking the can down the road is how we have gone 15 years without the playoffs and why our country is in such a financial mess.

While I wouldn't be surprised if Whaley is fired, I'd be disappointed. I can't think of anything he, or another GM, could do to turn this team around, realistically speaking. It's a crap shoot finding QBs in the draft, and none of value are available in free agency, generally speaking.

Hopefully Tyrod comes back and lights it up, otherwise... this team is screwed for the next few years, at the least.

It's not a crapshoot - but you do actually have to draft one eventually!

Dalton Wilson Carr bridge water - these guys are out there we just don't even try.

It's the same thing as my post above- "we have manual so we shouldn't draft someone else or give up on EJ yet". Why the hell not? EJ stunk from day one give up now don't waste three years. Then draft some new guys for Petes sake.

I would love to see Schwartz as our HC

I miss him :cry:

CBF

I wouldn't want Swartz as HC but I thought he did an excellent job as DC

Dalton Wilson Carr bridge water - these guys are out there we just don't even try.

It's the same thing as my post above- "we have manual so we shouldn't draft someone else or give up on EJ yet". Why the hell not? EJ stunk from day one give up now don't waste three years. Then draft some new guys for Petes sake.

I know its a popular battle cry "Draft a QB every year until you find one". But honestly, it's stupid. If you invest a #1 pick on a QB, you have to take time to develop him. You can't really have more than 2 developmental QBs on your roster at any given time so you'd be churning through QBs before they got up to speed on an offense and started to show promise (add to that: Changing Head coaches, and/or OCs and QB coaches, plus roster turnover). It is not feasible to draft a QB every year. Once Whalley/Nix picked EJ they were tied to him for 2-3 year minimum. They compounded that by making the Sammy trade and wasting additional resources. And then you take into the consideration the death of Ralph Wilson, the pending sale and potential move of the team and the Marrone debacle and you can understand how the Bills are in a terrible situation with their QB. In a perfect world ownership would've been solid and the coaching staff and front office would've been on the same page regarding the development of EJ. EJ would've been the starter all of last year and a final decision would've been made on him. Instead, the jury was still out, they went after journeyman Cassel and wildcard Taylor. Maybe Taylor will pay off. Maybe not. If he doesn't they are still pretty much stuck. Do they try to acquire a stopgap QB or go all in to get a top Rookie QB?

Right now it looks like its going to be another couple of ugly years for the Bills and their fans.

In reality, because of the cap situation, there is no more rebuilding possible. They invested heavily in winning now, Rex guaranteed the playoffs after all, and if the combination of these players and this coaching staff doesn't work out, it will be at least 5 years before the personnel can be brought in to make the playoffs a good possibility. I've said it often and I'll keep saying it, Rex sucks big time, but perhaps the switch will be turned on and the team will somehow be much different in the next 9 games than it has been and they will make the playoffs. Not likely, but I hope to hell I'm wrong. I'd much prefer looking like an idiot and having the Bills make the playoffs than being able to say I told you so.

I'm floored at the negativity and doom and gloom in these threads.

The Bills are 3-4 and have two weeks to heal up and start kicking butt. IMO the Bills will be making the playoffs this year. The Jets and Steelers both have brutal schedules where the Bills ends much easier.

For instance...

The Jets finish the season against the @Giants, Titans, @Cowboys, Patriots and @Bills

The Steelers finish @Seahawks, Colts, @Bengals, Broncos, @Ravens and @Browns

The Bills finish @Chiefs, Texans, @Eagles, @Redskins, Cowboys and Jets

Why are fans panicking so much around here?LOL

Well for 1 the Bills have looked like crap. If we're going to make the playoffs at 10-6 then we can only lose 2 more games.

We can certainly lose to any team, no team is an easy win. We start with Miami after the bye and they are looking like a much different team.

• Miami (We win this one)
  • Jets (We lose)
  • New England (We lose)
  • Kansas City (We win)
  • Houston (We win)
  • Philly (We lose just because the Bills can't win more than 2 games in a row)
  • Redskins (We lose because we're down and out of playoffs)
  • Dallas (Romo's back, Dez is healthy and we cant cover TE's, we lose)
  • Jets (they're playing for a Wild card, we're not, they win)

We end the season at 6-10, and that's only if we can muster a win against Miami after the Bye... Rex isn't going to magically change the defense or he'd have the players in this week. Sammy isn't going to magically catch 10 balls a game for 100 + yards and 2 touchdowns, The penalty's aren't going to magically go away, and the special teams isn't going to suddenly be great again... Seasons over, we can hope all we want but I've seen enough.. We were lucky to beat tennesse and get 3 wins... It's the same Bills year after year..

Everything will depend on how the team finishes this season, and I mean everything!

Anything less then 7-9, and I think the Pegula's blow this whole thing up by hiring that Football czar that they talked about hiring. A new team president of football operations isn't going to want someones else's choice at HC, or GM either. Bill Polian already stated he would make a change with the GM by hiring former Charger GM AJ Smith.

Look at the 4-12 NY Jets from last year, and this year it just goes to show that teams don't need to completely rebuild a roster to build a winning team. They changed the GM, HC and are winning. They even resurrected "noodle arm" Ryan Fitzpatrick from the scrap heap, and are winning.

Well for 1 the Bills have looked like crap. If we're going to make the playoffs at 10-6 then we can only lose 2 more games.

We can certainly lose to any team, no team is an easy win. We start with Miami after the bye and they are looking like a much different team.

• Miami (We win this one)
  • Jets (We lose)
  • New England (We lose)
  • Kansas City (We win)
  • Houston (We win)
  • Philly (We lose just because the Bills can't win more than 2 games in a row)
  • Redskins (We lose because we're down and out of playoffs)
  • Dallas (Romo's back, Dez is healthy and we cant cover TE's, we lose)
  • Jets (they're playing for a Wild card, we're not, they win)

We end the season at 6-10, and that's only if we can muster a win against Miami after the Bye...

Rex isn't going to magically change the defense or he'd have the players in this week.

Sammy isn't going to magically catch 10 balls a game for 100 + yards and 2 touchdowns,

The penalty's aren't going to magically go away,

and the special teams isn't going to suddenly be great again... Seasons over, we can hope all we want but I've seen enough.. We were lucky to beat tennesse and get 3 wins... It's the same Bills year after year..

Some points of interest in the bolded.

So many failings of this years team due to bad coaching. The injuries aside I don't see how this team overcomes so many problems.

Penalties !!

Special teams coverage units stink with basically the very same players!!

The defense, and the lack of QB pressures!!

What everyone thought would be the highlight of the team has somehow been castrated by a supposed defensive genius.

Are people suggesting that 7 games into the new regime we need to fire the coaches and GM? Honestly, this is an absurd notion. I know people are tired of not making the playoffs... But there's not a coach, GM, Free agent or draft pick that's going to come in and be 100% right and good and have us on top of the AFC from day 1. The world doesn't work that way people.

Dan, you are making sense again and not soiling yourself. Please, if we want a rational opinion, we will read Jerry Sullivan.

:nana:

Some points of interest in the bolded.

So many failings of this years team due to bad coaching. The injuries aside I don't see how this team overcomes so many problems.

Penalties !!

Special teams coverage units stink with basically the very same players!!

The defense, and the lack of QB pressures!!

What everyone thought would be the highlight of the team has somehow been castrated by a supposed defensive genius.

Don't get me wrong, I hope and pray some how Rex figures things out this week and we go 8-1 after the bye, but lets be real...

anyone who fires a coach after 1 year is just a bad organization every year. As far as Rex he's in a tough spot hit with injuries like no one before or since that alone should get him a pass for this year. "Hey this guy can't win with his back ups" - seriously who can? A new coach coming to a new team rarely make the playoffs that year- although i'm not saying they won't this year is shaping up as 9-7 for wildcard. I hope someone can inquire the league about the penalties from bogus pass interference to not knowing the rules on what a chop block is and a legal peel back block. Playing a first year starting qb and missing so far through 7 games guard has missed 3, tackle has missed 2, running backs revolving door, tight end out for the year, both starting wideouts missing 3 1/2 games the other one might be out for the year. Your starting safety and a top defensive tackle. Were running Chris Hogan, Boobie Dixon, Boom Herron, Kraig Urbik, Chris Gragg, EJ Manuel, Corbin Bryant and Duke Williams out there and out fan base is saying ...what ? what's the problem?.......holy crap guys look big picture get realistic. If we have our starters back they will make a playoff push and likely make it, if we have to play the same guys i've listed again over and over were not gonna make it and it's not a coaches fault.

The injury bug has been unreal this season. What would the undefeated Bengals look like if:

AJ Green had missed multiple games (Watkins)

Brandon Tate missed multiple games (Goodwin)

Jeremy Hill had missed multiple games (Karlos Williams)

Gio Bernard had missed multiple games (Shady)

Andy Dalton had missed multiple games (Tyrod)

Marvin Jones had missed multiple games (Harvin)

Clint Boiling had missed time (John Miller)

Andre Smith missed time (Henderson)

That's just the offense... We came into this season with a plethora of weapons on offense, and unfortunately we have yet to see the roster that Whaley put together on the field. Hopefully this week fixes a lot of those wholes, but I can't blame him for anything outside of hiring an undisciplined loud mouth that doesn't worry about small details (like charging headset batteries).

I just think it's too early to speculate...

I was definitely in favor of the Rex hire...But I did have concerns...Rex had me convinced that he had learned valuable lessons in NY...I made a HUGE leap by thinking that meant he would come in and be more of a HC, and not try to fix what was not broken...The minute I read that Schwartz would not be back I got a little nervous...My biggest fear with Rex was that he would mess up a good thing on Defense...Not all schemes match personnel, and it's SO hard to get a good match nowadays...For whatever reason Schwartz's scheme and coaching worked with the 2014 Defense and the personnel...Obviously Rex felt he could improve upon that...And to this point it looks like he was wrong...

BUT...It's still only 7 games...And the injuries on Offense have been ridiculous...Just insane...How can we really judge what the potential of this team is knowing the decimation on Offense due to injury?...Should the Bills come out of the bye week with TT, McCoy, Karlos Williams, Sammy, Henderson, and Harvin all healthy...and then thump Miami...I think it's going to be pretty clear how much these injuries have affected the team overall...

I'm far from giving Rex a vote of confidence...But I think it's too early to hang him as well...

I really don't know about Whaley...I like him at times...And no GM is perfect...But I did not like the Watkins trade much (though I love Watkins...healthy Watkins that is)...I'm just never in favor of giving up premium Draft picks unless you're getting a QB in return...That being said I think he's done some good things too...It's a mixed bag, and he is still pretty young...I don't know...We'll see... B-)

I just think it's too early to speculate...

I was definitely in favor of the Rex hire...But I did have concerns...Rex had me convinced that he had learned valuable lessons in NY...I made a HUGE leap by thinking that meant he would come in and be more of a HC, and not try to fix what was not broken...The minute I read that Schwartz would not be back I got a little nervous...My biggest fear with Rex was that he would mess up a good thing on Defense...Not all schemes match personnel, and it's SO hard to get a good match nowadays...For whatever reason Schwartz's scheme and coaching worked with the 2014 Defense and the personnel...Obviously Rex felt he could improve upon that...And to this point it looks like he was wrong...

BUT...It's still only 7 games...And the injuries on Offense have been ridiculous...Just insane...How can we really judge what the potential of this team is knowing the decimation on Offense due to injury?...Should the Bills come out of the bye week with TT, McCoy, Karlos Williams, Sammy, Henderson, and Harvin all healthy...and then thump Miami...I think it's going to be pretty clear how much these injuries have affected the team overall...

I'm far from giving Rex a vote of confidence...But I think it's too early to hang him as well...

I really don't know about Whaley...I like him at times...And no GM is perfect...But I did not like the Watkins trade much (though I love Watkins...healthy Watkins that is)...I'm just never in favor of giving up premium Draft picks unless you're getting a QB in return...That being said I think he's done some good things too...It's a mixed bag, and he is still pretty young...I don't know...We'll see... B-)

Way too early to hang Rex. If they win the next two games and the Raiders and Steelers each lose one, they're right back in it.