Realistically, how does this all play out?

At this point, it's not unreasonable to think that this season will fall short of expectations. Frankly, any step back from last year's 9-7 finish is a disappointment. Assuming that happens, what do people realistically think happens next? Assuming that we can't just magically trade for a Pro Bowl QB and lure away a top-notch HC, is anyone else worried that we're looking at another two to three year reset?

I know the feeling on this board is that Whaley likely goes, and that's probably right. It's also hard to imagine Terry firing Rex one year into a 5 year deal worth close to $28 million. If that all plays out, is the next GM a Rex-guy? And if Rex truly isn't the answer, that's basically setting the stage for a full-blown housecleaning in a couple of years. On the other hand, if they hire a GM who has no ties to Rex, don't we risk having the same scheme-to-personnel mismatch that we're dealing with now (and also a GM biding his time for a year or so to fire Rex and bring in "his guy")?

I really didn't want to create yet another thread full of negative speculation, but I'm honestly having trouble seeing how this doesn't end with another "re-build."

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we will go 7-9, miss the playoffs, and Whaley won't be back.

Rex will be given 1 more year by Pegula, though he shouldn't be given it.

When that doesn't work either, Rex will be gone and Pegula will conduct the full bore house cleaning he should have conducted when he bought the team.

That is kind of how it played out with the Sabres and I think the same is shaping up with the Bills.

The major problem with another reset is that the team is in line to win now, sans quarterback. You say that we can't magically trade for a Pro Bowl QB, but unless Tyrod becomes one, we almost literally have to.

I think there was a disconnect between the personnel assembled on the roster and the coaching scheme. Rex does not necessitate tremendous edge rushers in his style of defense, and our entire team was built around that last season. I would have to think that if we start a rebuild it will just be worse than the Jets' debacle over the past couple seasons.

Let this sink in, if you will...when you say another full-blown housecleaning in a couple years, we're talking about extending the playoff drought to 20+ years.

At this point, it's not unreasonable to think that this season will fall short of expectations. Frankly, any step back from last year's 9-7 finish is a disappointment. Assuming that happens, what do people realistically think happens next? Assuming that we can't just magically trade for a Pro Bowl QB and lure away a top-notch HC, is anyone else worried that we're looking at another two to three year reset?

I know the feeling on this board is that Whaley likely goes, and that's probably right. It's also hard to imagine Terry firing Rex one year into a 5 year deal worth close to $28 million. If that all plays out, is the next GM a Rex-guy? And if Rex truly isn't the answer, that's basically setting the stage for a full-blown housecleaning in a couple of years. On the other hand, if they hire a GM who has no ties to Rex, don't we risk having the same scheme-to-personnel mismatch that we're dealing with now (and also a GM biding his time for a year or so to fire Rex and bring in "his guy")?

I really didn't want to create yet another thread full of negative speculation, but I'm honestly having trouble seeing how this doesn't end with another "re-build."

I do think that Rex has some allies out there in the NFL exec community. Guys like Mike Tannenbaum and some of the Ravens people, for instance. I don't know the names, but he's not without friends.

I think we will go 7-9, miss the playoffs, and Whaley won't be back.

Rex will be given 1 more year by Pegula, though he shouldn't be given it.

When that doesn't work either, Rex will be gone and Pegula will conduct the full bore house cleaning he should have conducted when he bought the team.

That is kind of how it played out with the Sabres and I think the same is shaping up with the Bills.

This is pretty close to what I was thinking, which prompted the post. If this is what happens, it means we've wasted a playoff-caliber roster now and will almost certainly be looking at two full decades without a playoff appearance.

More 9-7 for a few years, then a coaching change. Get a nice player in free agency, lose a nice player to free agency. Fill one hole, open another. Hit on a low pick, lose another guy to nagging injuries, yada yada yada. Hopefully somewhere along the way, we get lucky and get a great QB.

Both Rex and Whaley will be here in 2016 if I'm betting. It's too early to tear down the Rex regime, it'd be a reactionary move and like most reactionary moves it'll only slow the development of the team down once again. Stability, something this franchise has lacked throughout the 15 year playoff drought, is important. The only way a big shake up happens is if this team completely ***** the bed down the stretch and loses out. That's not going to happen.

The wildcard is still up for grabs despite the apocalyptic hype around here, and the remaining 9 games aren't really terrifying. Outside of back-to-back road games against the Jets and P*ts (which they'll need to split to have any realistic shot at the WC), the rest of their opponents are all beatable. It's not crazy to think there will be a 9 win WC team coming out of the AFC this year if you look at the standings, going 6-3 (get healthy and 7-2 isn't unthinkable) and the Bills are right in the thick of it. Let's see how this team looks against Miami in two weeks before we completely give up hope.

Obviously this depends on many factors around the AFC for the rest of the season. If the Bills win yesterday, which was very close to happening, the narrative is quite different. That shows just how much things can change over the next 9 games. Realistically, let's say the playoffs are not reached( although this is looking like the first year in awhile that 9 wins could do it in the AFC). Did the Bills fall far short, or did they lose on tie breaks? Did the Jags game, as an AFC loss and with a putrid half from backup Manuel cost the Bills the playoffs? Or does the rest of the season continue as a roller coaster of alternating wins and losses? If the Bills fall just short, don't look for huge changes save for the addition of a football czar. An outside chance that Whaley is shown the door. 6 wins or less, count on a new GM, a new DC is possible if that side doesn't improve significantly. The most likely thing is that Rex is given 3 seasons and will be evaluated at that time to either continue or be let go. Outside of Cleveland or Oakland, that's the normal amount of time in the NFL. People act like Ryan took over a perennial contender instead of a fifteen year clown show. The team has no proven QB, and that is the primary reason for their current record. Less than a big playoff push over the next 9 games and the search for a QB will be on in full force, including a #1 draft pick, possible trade etc. A new head coach, barring absolute disaster, doesn't happen until after or well into year 3.

Its what I fear as well.

If this team goes 6-10/7-9 and Rex comes back it will be so disappointing, IMO.

Thats what happens when your owner who doesn't have a clue about football hires the head coach.

How many NFL teams fire a coach after year one? ( Cleveland , Oakland barely qualify as NFL teams). Especially if that team doesn't go winless or win just one or two games? It's not going to happen. Changing coaches every year or every other year does not bring NFL glory.

This is pretty close to what I was thinking, which prompted the post. If this is what happens, it means we've wasted a playoff-caliber roster now and will almost certainly be looking at two full decades without a playoff appearance.

Just how many of those playoff caliber players on that roster are playing at playoff caliber level right now?

In my opinion, there is zero chance Rex is gone after 1 year. I think he's here for 3 yrs minimum.

I expect them to hire the "football czar" that Pegula hoped he was getting in Polian.

That guy will decide what happens with Whalley. It would not surprise me for Whalley to get fired or resign.

I also expect a big roster changeover on defense in the offseason since the guys we have don't seem to be executing Rex's scheme well.

Both Rex and Whaley will be here in 2016 if I'm betting. It's too early to tear down the Rex regime, it'd be a reactionary move and like most reactionary moves it'll only slow the development of the team down once again. Stability, something this franchise has lacked throughout the 15 year playoff drought, is important. The only way a big shake up happens is if this team completely ***** the bed down the stretch and loses out. That's not going to happen.

The wildcard is still up for grabs despite the apocalyptic hype around here, and the remaining 9 games aren't really terrifying. Outside of back-to-back road games against the Jets and P*ts (which they'll need to split to have any realistic shot at the WC), the rest of their opponents are all beatable. It's not crazy to think there will be a 9 win WC team coming out of the AFC this year if you look at the standings, going 6-3 (get healthy and 7-2 isn't unthinkable) and the Bills are right in the thick of it. Let's see how this team looks against Miami in two weeks before we completely give up hope.

I tend to agree with this

I will also say that if this D does not turn itself around in the pressures, sacks, and turnovers department I expect to see major overhauls to this defense.....for instance they might feel that Kyle Williams and Mario Williams are players they can do without because they are not generating sacks and pressure from that posiion

I hope this does not happen and they actually get it figured out

At this point, it's not unreasonable to think that this season will fall short of expectations. Frankly, any step back from last year's 9-7 finish is a disappointment. Assuming that happens, what do people realistically think happens next? Assuming that we can't just magically trade for a Pro Bowl QB and lure away a top-notch HC, is anyone else worried that we're looking at another two to three year reset?[/size]

[/size]

I know the feeling on this board is that Whaley likely goes, and that's probably right. It's also hard to imagine Terry firing Rex one year into a 5 year deal worth close to $28 million. If that all plays out, is the next GM a Rex-guy? And if Rex truly isn't the answer, that's basically setting the stage for a full-blown housecleaning in a couple of years. On the other hand, if they hire a GM who has no ties to Rex, don't we risk having the same scheme-to-personnel mismatch that we're dealing with now (and also a GM biding his time for a year or so to fire Rex and bring in "his guy")? [/size]

[/size]

I really didn't want to create yet another thread full of negative speculation, but I'm honestly having trouble seeing how this doesn't end with another "re-build."[/size]

Tough one. Whaley is a lame duck GM. If his relationship with rex is okay. And not that Rex has any clout I see Pegula's maybe doing a 2-3 year extension. Remembering they have the old holdover Brandon in their ears. He obviously has clout. Any discourse so far is media driven.

So There may not be any. But, the football czar concept could play out regardless how the Sabres experience turned out.

IMO the Pegula's want to win. They are not football people (yet) so they need to find some good outside trustworthy advisers.

Polian isn't the guy his ship has sailed. And Needs some crest whitening strips, and his kid needs to find success on his own.

too bad the tuna is so old. Unless Pegula could give Ozzie Newsome and the Ravens a offer they could not refuse. ravens record aside I think Ozzie still understands the modern NFL. I have serious doubts now that even Ryan does.

Doesn't the fact that we have a 'playoff caliber roster' indicate that Whaley has done a good job? I recognize he's whiffed in places but I, for one, think he's done a good job in building overall talent in Buffalo. I'd be upset if he was fired.

I think Jim Schwartz and a healthy team is all that is keeping us out of the playoffs. If we bring him back and get our starters back we will be in good shape

Didn't schwartz last HC gig bomb out? What evidence besides a great one year stint as a DC makes him a viable choice?

Lots of people everwhere are promoted beyond their abilities. he may fall into That catergory. I think Rex Ryan is in the same boat.

If this team only wins 9 games or less, they will feel the need to make a splash in the offseason. Another year of Whaley and Rex will not satisfy the fan base.

Will they bring in a football czar with name recognition? Will they rework some contracts to free up cap money so they can get a QB with name recognition?

Something will have to change to rekindle hope (and sell tickets).

I'm floored at the negativity and doom and gloom in these threads.

The Bills are 3-4 and have two weeks to heal up and start kicking butt. IMO the Bills will be making the playoffs this year. The Jets and Steelers both have brutal schedules where the Bills ends much easier.

For instance...

The Jets finish the season against the @Giants, Titans, @Cowboys, Patriots and @Bills

The Steelers finish @Seahawks, Colts, @Bengals, Broncos, @Ravens and @Browns

The Bills finish @Chiefs, Texans, @Eagles, @Redskins, Cowboys and Jets

Why are fans panicking so much around here?LOL

I'm floored at the negativity and doom and gloom in these threads.

The Bills are 3-4 and have two weeks to heal up and start kicking butt. IMO the Bills will be making the playoffs this year. The Jets and Steelers both have brutal schedules where the Bills ends much easier.

For instance...

The Jets finish the season against the @Giants, Titans, @Cowboys, Patriots and @Bills

The Steelers finish @Seahawks, Colts, @Bengals, Broncos, @Ravens and @Browns

The Bills finish @Chiefs, Texans, @Eagles, @Redskins, Cowboys and Jets

Why are fans panicking so much around here?LOL

You're right see my post above. The playoffs are yet to be made. The important thing is playing better, and with health and experience together that could come. The Bills have also been bitten by the negative randomness bug so far.

i suspect that Terry Pegula is as surprised as we are about his team's current status.. .

but regardless of how it plays out, i think Pegula will hire an outside consultant to audit the season - basically rebuild all the decision making that took place from last season's end to this season's end.

he'll report his findings to Pegula, who will act on his report.