Realistically, how does this all play out?

Best case scenario, Bills get somewhat healthy,reduced the penalties & end up 10-6 or 9-7 & make the playoffs.

Worst case scenario, Bills only win 2 or 3 more games & major changes will happen next year.

Either way, Rex might be here for next year.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i suspect that Terry Pegula is as surprised as we are about his team's current status.. .

but regardless of how it plays out, i think Pegula will hire an outside consultant to audit the season - basically rebuild all the decision making that took place from last season's end to this season's end.

he'll report his findings to Pegula, who will act on his report.

I think the injuries will serve as a rationalization for Pegula. But to me, it's clear that Ryan isn't getting the most out of the defense.

Edited by HoF Watkins

I'm floored at the negativity and doom and gloom in these threads.

The Bills are 3-4 and have two weeks to heal up and start kicking butt. IMO the Bills will be making the playoffs this year. The Jets and Steelers both have brutal schedules where the Bills ends much easier.

For instance...

The Jets finish the season against the @Giants, Titans, @Cowboys, Patriots and @Bills

The Steelers finish @Seahawks, Colts, @Bengals, Broncos, @Ravens and @Browns

The Bills finish @Chiefs, Texans, @Eagles, @Redskins, Cowboys and Jets

Why are fans panicking so much around here?LOL

It's conditioning from 15 straight non-playoff seasons.

The next three games after the bye will either re-insert the Bills into the division and playoff race or end the season. This team has been frustrating to watch and very inconsistent in most ways but they have been resilient most of the year. I have a feeling they will be ready to play and get two of the next three division games after the bye.

-Tyrod will probably play himself into being the franchise QB by season end and get a new deal.

-Having McKelvin, A.Williams and K.Williams back will help the defense find itself. Bad weather games will help the Bills on both sides of the ball.

-All of the brash talk might die down and some of the stupid penalties might be cut down given how bad it's gotten here going into a long bye week.

Reality is they will probably be in the hunt into the final weeks for a wildcard with the Jets, Steelers and possibly the Raiders and Chargers. Yesterday was the most disappointing loss in a few years but there is plenty of reason to believe they will come out strong after the bye and compete right until the end for a playoff spot.

If Whaley is fired and we hire an inferior GM, that might be the final straw for me. I will take some time off until the Pegulas get it together.

Whaley is the best football mind in the building.

I dont think TP/KP got to be billionaires by being stupid. Whaley is here to stay.

I just hope TP/KP can see that the window is closing soon and be willing to give Rexy his $25MM golden parachute to gtf outta town. We need a coach of men, not a bff of nfl players.

In Whaley I trust.

How about we don't panic and keep everyone but Crossman.

Extend Whaley and let him get HIS QB.

In 4 years if we have not improved, make some more critical changes.

The Bills are here in Buffalo for the next 100 years, at least, we have plenty of time.

Imo

Footbal czar is the dumbest idea ever. If you want to fire Whaley, fire him.

What we need is a Quarterback Czar. Get the best NFL scout who has hit on a QB (look at Seattle, Oakland, Minny if they had a scout that ranked their current QB much higher than other NFL teams). Put them in charge of finding QB's. Starting and backup.

Leave Whaley where he is.

And then a lot of crow eating on this board.

We are making the playoffs.

Right now we're not a playoff team. But I looked at our next 9 games. Only two good offenses left on schedule with Patriots and Cowboys. We get Tannehill (we have his number), Fitzpatrick twice, Alex Smith, Brian Hoyer, Bradford, and Cousins.

I think the defense will start to look much improved. We just need to get healthy and get our swagger back. One other thing is Rex seems to do well when he is backed into a corner. I see an us against the world mentality possible as the national media is killing this team right now.

Neither Whaley or Rex are going anywhere after this season. If things dont turn around after next season I can see a house cleaning but one year in I just dont see it. The Pegulas are not as frusterated as Bills fans as they arent the ones who have truely experienced this 15 year drought. They just got here I dont think they'll make rash, overemotional, decisions like most fans.

Neither Whaley or Rex are going anywhere after this season. If things dont turn around after next season I can see a house cleaning but one year in I just dont see it. The Pegulas are not as frusterated as Bills fans as they arent the ones who have truely experienced this 15 year drought. They just got here I dont think they'll make rash, overemotional, decisions like most fans.

I hope and think you're right. They took over the Sabres and let Regier hang himself. They aren't quick to make changes and they did go through the coaching search with Whaley. I think they got to know him and that can only be a good thing for a guy that everyone assumed was fired when they bought the team.

I got a couple scenarios.

1. 8-8ish, no playoffs. Whaley demoted under a football czar who coordinates Rex and Whaley. Hopefully playoffs after that, but probably not. Rex canned year two barring a 10-6 tiebreaker no playoffs.

2. 6-10 or worse case scenario. Whaley gone. Football czar with just Rex. Again, same story as above.

3. 10-6 and/or playoffs. Whaley may remain the top dog in the FO, but a consultant will be brought in.

And then a lot of crow eating on this board.

We are making the playoffs.

I would love to eat crow. I just hope it tastes like chicken.

I was actually trying hard to not be entirely negative in my OP, and I do think they can turn it around and make the playoffs. My point, though, is that if they don't change the trajectory of the season, things could get ugly fast - even by the standards of the last 15 years. I have been and always will be a fan, but looking at yet another rebuild is terrifying.

I got a couple scenarios.

1. 8-8ish, no playoffs. Whaley demoted under a football czar who coordinates Rex and Whaley. Hopefully playoffs after that, but probably not. Rex canned year two barring a 10-6 tiebreaker no playoffs.

2. 6-10 or worse case scenario. Whaley gone. Football czar with just Rex. Again, same story as above.

3. 10-6 and/or playoffs. Whaley may remain the top dog in the FO, but a consultant will be brought in.

Sounds about right. Looking at 1 & 3, I think a lot depends on how marketable Whaley actually is around the league. If he's presented an opportunity with another team giving him more clout, he may choose to leave rather than extend. I can't see him getting any kind of bump in that regard here, he's either working for Pegs again or for the czar, with no direct control over Rex.

It is ludicrous to start thinking about firing Ryan. Dennis Thurman, possibly but it all depends on how the season pans out.

The only sore spot I have with Rex is that he talked way too much when he took the job. It would have sat a lot better if he set realistic expectations that usually coincide with ANY new coaching change and new systems, regardless of roster talent.

For those of you who thought Jim Schwartz belongs on a throne, he was essentially 4 and 8 vs the AFC.