Streaming of the game?

valle7878

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went from ok to poor on my computer monitor via wired Verizon FIOS but every commercial was clear so it has something to do with the splicing of commercials from feed to US before it was sent to US stream. There were a number of times it skipped backwards and replayed a few seconds. Flash player crashed once but that is not unusual with Adobe products.

My tablet was fantastic. Not one issue. My laptop didn't do as well buffering the game. Very surprised yahoo handled this so well

Tablets and laptops are obviously much smaller than TVs. Therefore the lower than HD resolution and even the choppiness would be considerably less noticeable there. If the NFL intends on using streaming as a TV (commercial and the ticket) replacement, they need considerably higher quality and consistency than what yesterday had.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I watched on my TV through my Apple TV (1) and had HD quality nearly the entire game. There were a few small hiccups and digital blurring (even a couple stops for a second or two), but overall I have no complaints.

Except for the final score...

My experience was pretty horrible. I have a smart tv with the Yahoo app, and I used wireless (yes, I understand the issues are related to this). I do not have the time or energy to rework the infrastructure in my house to accommodate hard-wiring my living room TV to the router in my office. Even on wireless the TV is capable of streaming in 4K from Netflix without quality drops or interruptions. Instead, yesterday, I dealt with constant quality changes, audio dropping out all together, and stuttering that reminded me of power point presentations.

went perfect via the app on xbox360 up until the final 2 minutes, when it started trying to load the rest of the way, i do think my feed was about 1 play behind others as i was texting a fellow bills fan and he knew things 1 play ahead of what i was watching. the last 2 minutes i was forced to fire up the laptop which worked pretty well. the numbers yahoo is reporting are huge, i don't blame yahoo for my issues, i have to give them credit for pulling it off.

I watched on my TV through my Apple TV (1) and had HD quality nearly the entire game. There were a few small hiccups and digital blurring (even a couple stops for a second or two), but overall I have no complaints.

Except for the final score...

Me too. Looked and sounded great nearly the whole game.

Ran the Yahoo Sports app on my tablet and casted to my Chromecast on my 55" TV. Video quality was good but about 10 times during the game it just froze, recovered, then skipped ahead to catch up, leaving me to miss some plays (like the 4th down goal line stop). Not being able to pause/rewind and record for later viewing were major negatives for me. I pay an arm and a leg for Sunday Ticket, so to have to watch the game like this was maddening....

Tablets and laptops are obviously much smaller than TVs. Therefore the lower than HD resolution and even the choppiness would be considerably less noticeable there. If the NFL intends on using streaming as a TV (commercial and the ticket) replacement, they need considerably higher quality and consistency than what yesterday had.

absolutely. had he watched this on a 108 inch projector, he would have noticed much more artifact. there was plenty on my 42inch set up. I didn't try the pj as by the time I got home the game appeared not to be worth the trouble.

this is really interesting. this guy measured his speed and it was very fast. what explains the differences in users experiences? unless there was trouble with specific video processors in hardware (apple tv, chrome dongle etc) it doesn't make sense to me. and that doesn't make much sense either if other streaming video has previously worked fine on the same device. and all the nfl says is that they're happy. their credibility lessens by the minute. time to check out avs forum and see what they're saying.

Edited by birdog1960

I connected my one year old laptop to my 4k flat screen via hdmi. This just exposed the lower resolution but I liked the big screen viewing so I could sit in my recliner.

My smart tv could not do the job, even with the Yahoo app loaded, it would not stream. Don't know why?

Lots of drop outs and blurring over the course of the game.

Overall experience was crap. I don't want to watch football on a computer screen.

Same. SONY XBR and new Samsung TV, PS3 and PS4, none of them could stream. What of the game I watched was on my ipad while I folded laundry.

It was a streaming pile of dog crap, and should it come to that I have to pay for that... then I'll decline.

Let me expound a bit, a new state of the art computer with 32 gig of ram, and a GTX 980 video card with RR Turbo. The game was constantly flickering in and out of HD, and buffering now and then.

Would be interesting to see everyone's Speedtest numbers - I'm guessing those that had no problem, have really fast Interweb.

I'll run mine when I'm home, but it usually cranks (definitely kills the speeds at work)...

Would be interesting to see everyone's Speedtest numbers - I'm guessing those that had no problem, have really fast Interweb.

I'll run mine when I'm home, but it usually cranks (definitely kills the speeds at work)...

I know for a fact I pay for 25/25 and I actually get about 23/22. The drop off is due to living in a highrise.

My speedtest is fine - regularly 30+mb down and 10ish up. The problem was/is that the built in browser on the smart TVs that I own (a couple of fringe TV companies - Samsung and Sony), AND the browsers on the PS3 and PS4 simply couldnt connect to the stream. One of the TVs and PS3 are hardwired into a 100/1000 switch and right into the cable modem, the other devices via wireless (802.11n, full signal strength) then into the cable modem.

I streamed with Apple tv using the yahoo app using time warner road runner. The picture was true HD and great the whole game. I had about 4 one second stutters that's it. From all the posts I read around the Internet most people who used Apple TV to stream had great picture quality. so people streaming with a laptop, desktop Browser or PS3 or tablet had problems I read a lot of posts on the net with unhappy picture quality using those methods.

FYI

Edited by billsareback

Roku3. FAIL. Lots of buffering in the second half witch caused us to miss a couple of plays each time. And picture resolution kept going blurry.

I suspect your FAIL was network related

I ran a Roku3 on Wifi and it only buffered twice during the game, both for only a second.

used a win10 machine hardwired to a Fios router, and watched on a 20" flat monitor.

everything was very good to start - but the audio seemed a tad out of synch

the stream degenerated from there.

by the 4th qtr, i was using the minimum sized window that could display a resolution that comparable to the bounced european streams i usually watch

Utilized Xbox One, wired, the stream was pretty poor quality. Buffered about 10-12 times, minimum time was about 15 seconds longest was nearly 30 seconds. When picture came back it was standard definition for the longest time eventually got to HD but that did not hang on long. I would say about 25% of the game was seen in HD with the remaining in SD.

My picture would seemingly fast forward for no reason, for example, one second you are watching the teams break from their huddles, respectively, and then a nano second later, the play is finished and the teams are trotting back to their huddles again.....where did the play go?

I understand this is 'free', but I much prefer paying for DTV Sunday Ticket, every day, all day. I would not waste my time watching another streamed game again. Good for the vocal minority without issues, yet the silent majority would vote against this swiftly and strongly if given a voice.

As someone mentioned earlier, the commercials were flawless, no buffering, 100% HD, easy to watch. Which seems a bit backward to me. But then again considering this is money issue and not a market demand issue, I guess it is about right.

I have the highest internet speed I can get where I am at, a high-end TV and the stream, overall, was junk and wasteful. This is a trend that should go away and never return.

It was a streaming pile of dog crap, and should it come to that I have to pay for that... then I'll decline.

Let me expound a bit, a new state of the art computer with 32 gig of ram, and a GTX 980 video card with RR Turbo. The game was constantly flickering in and out of HD, and buffering now and then.

Why use your computer? Sounds like the worst way to watch.

I had the game simultaneously on my Samsung TV using the free Yahoo app, my water-cooled desktop (27" HD monitor), and my phone. It worked great, HD on all devices with maybe 2 freezes for maybe a 1 or 2 seconds on my TV only. Of course I get 187 mbps download and 11 mbps upload. :-)

My speedtest is fine - regularly 30+mb down and 10ish up. The problem was/is that the built in browser on the smart TVs that I own (a couple of fringe TV companies - Samsung and Sony), AND the browsers on the PS3 and PS4 simply couldnt connect to the stream. One of the TVs and PS3 are hardwired into a 100/1000 switch and right into the cable modem, the other devices via wireless (802.11n, full signal strength) then into the cable modem.

Never use the built in browser if you can access the same content thru an app on the TV, the browser or "middle man" as I call it, delays everything. Also hard-wiring 100/1000 switch doesn't do diddly if your download is only 30 mbps, you actually need to surpass 100 mbps to utilize the extent of the 100/1000 switch.

Keep in mind that download speed is measured as Mega Bits Per Second, not Bytes. There are 8 bits per byte.

Edited by Buff the Cat

Yahoo app on Apple TV - Perfect stream and quality from start to finish. And then it was also perfect from the 2nd quarter to the end of the game.

Watched in Bangkok, Thailand -- guessing I didn't have too much competition here for the stream bandwidth.

I bought a few internet TV's this year with the new house. The yahoo app was on the TV already so was easy to watch. I had to leave the stream as the audio was delayed by 5-7 seconds, so when I left the site, and reloaded it would fix. The picture would be blurry for 30 seconds, and then clear up.

It wasn't that bad and i heard on NFL Radio, Yahoo tracked 33.3 million TV's / computers streamed the game. I assume that is considered a success. I hope it was worth the $20 million they paid for it.

I know people were upset because they have the ticket as do I. It's a business. If it made them money, so be it. I believe in capitalism so works for me. It was kind of neat to be done with the Bills and it was only 12:30 pm. i ended up watching football for 15 hours straight. I loved it even though it was a bad day for me. After the Bills debacle, my home team the Bucs blew a 24 point lead to lose to the Skins. What a mess.

I had the game simultaneously on my Samsung TV using the free Yahoo app, my water-cooled desktop (27" HD monitor), and my phone. It worked great, HD on all devices with maybe 2 freezes for maybe a 1 or 2 seconds on my TV only. Of course I get 187 mbps download and 11 mbps upload. :-)

Never use the built in browser if you can access the same content thru an app on the TV, the browser or "middle man" as I call it, delays everything. Also hard-wiring 100/1000 switch doesn't do diddly if your download is only 30 mbps, you actually need to surpass 100 mbps to utilize the extent of the 100/1000 switch.

Keep in mind that download speed is measured as Mega Bits Per Second, not Bytes. There are 8 bits per byte.

Thanks for the networking 101 lesson. Let me guess, you have your a+ cert and you know more than anyone over 30 about how TCP/IP works. I mention the switch because if I didn't some genius would tell me that it was an issue with my wifi setup, which is assuredly isn't, but rather the partially supported ecosystem of browsers and apps out there.

The larger point is, streaming the game is great for people who can't afford or get DTV/ST for whatever reason, and a hard screwing for the rest of us.

Thanks for the networking 101 lesson. Let me guess, you have your a+ cert and you know more than anyone over 30 about how TCP/IP works. I mention the switch because if I didn't some genius would tell me that it was an issue with my wifi setup, which is assuredly isn't, but rather the partially supported ecosystem of browsers and apps out there.

The larger point is, streaming the game is great for people who can't afford or get DTV/ST for whatever reason, and a hard screwing for the rest of us.

Jeeze, he's only brining up the switch because you did - no need to be snarky to the guy because he's offering solutions.

And yeah, we get it, the streaming was a hard screwing for everyone - except for those of us it wasn't...

Obviously some people had a better experience than others, just because yours was bad doesn't mean the entire thing was a failure, just like because mine was fine doesn't mean it was a success.

Jeeze, he's only brining up the switch because you did - no need to be snarky to the guy because he's offering solutions.

And yeah, we get it, the streaming was a hard screwing for everyone - except for those of us it wasn't...

Obviously some people had a better experience than others, just because yours was bad doesn't mean the entire thing was a failure, just like because mine was fine doesn't mean it was a success.

Right, talking down to me about the difference between a bit and a byte is a solution. It's a solution on par with "The buffalo bills would be a better team if they had a good quarterback"

That anybody who paid for the Sunday ticket, but could not view this game via the Sunday ticket for *any* reason makes it a bad overall experience. But hey, the NFL got paid, so I guess yaaah?

Bottom line for me is that I pay for Directv so I felt robbed. Otherwise, when my internet connection was good the picture was good. Nothing worse than the play on the field coupled with some buffering at "key" moments.

Did anyone lose picture and have to rely on the announcers to figure out what was going on... that didn't work too well.

Bottom line for me is that I pay for Directv so I felt robbed. Otherwise, when my internet connection was good the picture was good. Nothing worse than the play on the field coupled with some buffering at "key" moments.

Did anyone lose picture and have to rely on the announcers to figure out what was going on... that didn't work too well.

I had the opposite, clear picture and no audio for long stretches. It was kind of nice.

doesn't mean the entire thing was a failure, just like because mine was fine doesn't mean it was a success.

I actually think it does mean it was a failure. it seems a significant percentage of viewers had problems. if Netflix had a similar percentage (based solely on anecdotal reports, I admit) how well do you think their biz model would be doing? I vudu offered conversion of your dvd's to hd and stored them digitally for you and they played back poorly for a sizeable number of customers, how doi you think that would work out.

I'm a bit of a video hobbyist so the little things matter to me. as a sports fan, the issues involved in sports broadcast especially interest me. the video equipment and broadcast tech of just a few years ago had great difficulty resolving fast moving golf balls and hockey pucks (my gold standards for resolution and video processing). now, they do it damn well. but if a finite number of viewers can't reliably watch a slow moving football on a broadcast, then that's a fail. I just hope the pga or nhl don't decide to try google anytime soon.