Percy Harvin Out vs. Miami; Placed on Injured Reserve

Sad but I felt he was fragile and wouldn't make the season when signed.

Obviously the Bills knew his history and felt the potential reward was worth the minimal risk. It's not over yet. Harvin could still come back and play productively as he was earlier in the season.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the Bills could only try to recoup a pro-rated portion of his signing bonus if he retired due to not wanting to play anymore. If he retires due to injury they cannot recoup any signing bonus money. Harvin is a vested veteran so a release by the team would typically mean he'd get his salary for the remainder of the year too, but I'm not sure If that's true for a retirement. I'd guess that it'd work the same as the signing bonus - they wouldn't have to pay if retirement was elective, but would if he retired due to injury. The whole question of severity of injury and whether or not it should equate to a retirement isn't easy to prove and there's a pretty bright spotlight on player injuries right now. If Harvin is taking a powder the Bills might be best served reaching some sort of settlement with him and moving on.

Signing players with anything close to Harvin's track record to anything but incentive laden contracts is rarely a smart move. The Bills made a mistake and it's going to cost them $6M for minimal production. It was a stupid move and the (very predictable) result sucks, but it isn't the end of the world.

Hey, look at the bright side -- he produced more than Caveman Mike!

Bills suggestion box item: maybe lay off the stoner WRs in 2016.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

@JaySkurski

Rex says Percy Harvin "desperately wants to contribute to this team." #Bills

Crazy, for some reason I was under the impression all players and coaches want to desperately contribute? He is a 1 year rental has 1 td to date, but is a threat. Who will gamble on him next year? was he medically unable to play in London? That's the question.

Crazy, for some reason I was under the impression all players and coaches want to desperately contribute? He is a 1 year rental has 1 td to date, but is a threat. Who will gamble on him next year? was he medically unable to play in London? That's the question.

if hes medically unable to play this week will you accept that as an answer to the question?

Too bad we let Kamar Aiken go. He's starting to look good for the Ravens.

It's not too bad, it's quite unfortunate. He showed plenty of talent while here and was the Revens' leading receiver last game (6 catches I believe).

Percy decided to become committed to football when he learned that if he retires during the season he doesn't get paid.

That last bit about wanting to be here and contribute is an odd thing to have to say about a player.

Refuting the retirement story is what it sounds like to me.

Percy decided to become committed to football when he learned that if he retires during the season he doesn't get paid.

Or maybe just the coach relaying that the guy can't go due to health issues yet again and is sick about it because he really does want to contribute to the team. Maybe?