Percy Harvin Out vs. Miami; Placed on Injured Reserve

I totally agree. Nice post. I wish those folks with the pitchforks out who complain about the cap would grasp the concepts presented here.

i don't know why fans ever worry about the salary cap. Teams figure out a way to keep who they want to keep. Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't know why fans ever worry about the salary cap. Teams figure out a way to keep who they want to keep.

Most often teams that poorly manage their cap from a talent/value standpoint lose out on available outside talent that could help improve the roster. There are two sides to the coin: keeping your talent and being in position to acquire new talent.

I was never a fan of Incognito because I thought he was too volatile as a person. But in the Miami Bully saga he was unfairly maligned and cast as the primary instigator as a bully on that team. When the investigation was ongoing his teammates almost universally supported him and correctly characterized Martin not as a victim but as a troubled person.

Richie Incognito was suspended and basically blackballed by the league losing a year salary. He had to take a very under-valued contract with the Bills to get back into the game.

You didn't need to rehash the entire episode. The main impediment to his return to the league was that he was blackballed on the wrong end of a politically incorrect racially charged conflict with a teammate. NFL teams are willing to look past many player misdeeds, but some players just stay toxic forever.

Yes, he signed with Bills for a contract far below his playing value, but it shouldn't be ignored that the Bills actually signed him to a contract. I'm guessing there were deep conversations between Pegula, Goodell & the NFL PR flak prior to the signing. This was no ordinary reclamation project.

Most often teams that poorly manage their cap from a talent/value standpoint lose out on available outside talent that could help improve the roster. There are two sides to the coin: keeping your talent and being in position to acquire new talent.

if they draft well enough and keep their coaching staffs and schemes stable, they don't need to acquire expensive FAs every year to build the team. Lower tier FAs that provide solid depth at a manageable price tag are usually more valuable IMO. Core starters should be drafted and developed, IMO. If you keep changing schemes and philosophies on either side of the ball (or both) every year or two you are stuck having to hand out big contracts so you can effectively and quickly change schemes. The Bills already said they are not going to be players in FA this year, and are focusing on Re-signing their own guys and acquiring new talent in the draft. Edited by YoloinOhio

You didn't need to rehash the entire episode. The main impediment to his return to the league was that he was blackballed on the wrong end of a politically incorrect racially charged conflict with a teammate. NFL teams are willing to look past many player misdeeds, but some players just stay toxic forever.

Yes, he signed with Bills for a contract far below his playing value, but it shouldn't be ignored that the Bills actually signed him to a contract. I'm guessing there were deep conversations between Pegula, Goodell & the NFL PR flak prior to the signing. This was no ordinary reclamation project.

It was a little worse than Riley Cooper's single outburst, but a media-driven **** storm nonetheless.

if they draft well enough and keep their coaching staffs and schemes stable, they don't need to acquire expensive FAs every year to build the team. Lower tier FAs that provide solid depth at a manageable price tag are usually more valuable IMO. Core starters should be drafted and developed, IMO. If you keep changing schemes and philosophies on either side of the ball (or both) every year or two you are stuck having to hand out big contracts so you can effectively and quickly change schemes. The Bills already said they are not going to be players in FA this year, and are focusing on Re-signing their own guys and acquiring new talent in the draft.

I would have to say you are right,

The life span for a a pro football player is very limited, without factoring in cutting it even shorter by injury. Not only did he lose a year of salary but he lost an opportunity to get a richer contract sooner rather than later.

It was the league that succumbed to perceived public pressure that was raised even more by a fraudulent Wells report that didn't reflect the facts of the case. My point being is that he was victimized by a league acting without integrity. He being made a scapegoat was very much a business decision to protect its interests.

This was no ordinary reclamation project.

The above quote is my point! He should never have been an extraordinary reclamation project because he was unfairly set up to be a reclamation project. If the league would have done an honest investigation reflecting the real facts of the case he wouldn't have been wrongly described as a brutal neanderthal. He lost a year's worth of wages and then when he came back he was only able to get an under-valued contract.

The only person/s he needs to look out for is himself and his family. It's a business. I'm very confident that he is aware of that cold-blooded fact. And he should act accordingly.

If he is truly hurt still, then let him sit, and check each week. they can't put him on IR as he will cost us more money. If he is ready for the Jets or the Patriots, and Sammy is good, then we have a different team.

We need the Percy from the beginning of the year. He can help us this year and we deal with it in the draft. If he is completely healthy, then maybe we look at the extension. If not, we use him for this year fro the tough games, and he rests more than not. I'd rather have an explosive Harvin for the Jets, twice, Patriots, and we'll see on some of the other games.

Rest him more, and don't worry about it on other games where we have everyone else healthy.

If he is truly hurt still, then let him sit, and check each week. they can't put him on IR as he will cost us more money. If he is ready for the Jets or the Patriots, and Sammy is good, then we have a different team.

We need the Percy from the beginning of the year. He can help us this year and we deal with it in the draft. If he is completely healthy, then maybe we look at the extension. If not, we use him for this year fro the tough games, and he rests more than not. I'd rather have an explosive Harvin for the Jets, twice, Patriots, and we'll see on some of the other games.

Rest him more, and don't worry about it on other games where we have everyone else healthy.

i think that's pretty much exactly what the Seahawks did with him in 2013. He played some early and then he showed up later in the year in playoffs and SB. Not saying we will have the latter but just replace that with some big games at the end of year that could potentially mean something. Edited by YoloinOhio

if they draft well enough and keep their coaching staffs and schemes stable, they don't need to acquire expensive FAs every year to build the team. Lower tier FAs that provide solid depth at a manageable price tag are usually more valuable IMO. Core starters should be drafted and developed, IMO. If you keep changing schemes and philosophies on either side of the ball (or both) every year or two you are stuck having to hand out big contracts so you can effectively and quickly change schemes. The Bills already said they are not going to be players in FA this year, and are focusing on Re-signing their own guys and acquiring new talent in the draft.

I agree with you. It is better to go for the mid-level value free agent pickup over the big splash high cost acquisition. As you stated the key is to draft well and develop. However, no matter what approach a franchise takes there is little chance for success unless you have a legitimate starting qb taking the snaps. A team is spinning its wheels trying to get by without an authentic starting caliber of qb.

I agree with you. It is better to go for the mid-level value free agent pickup over the big splash high cost acquisition. As you stated the key is to draft well and develop. However, no matter what approach a franchise takes there is little chance for success unless you have a legitimate starting qb taking the snaps. A team is spinning its wheels trying to get by without an authentic starting caliber of qb.

Yes. I am intrigued by TT thus far, particularly in Roman's offense, but advocate drafting a QB in the 1st round this year - or basically drafting a QB with a 1st rd grade, wherever that may be. Sometimes they fall (like Derek Carr) into the 2nd. Do not pass go. Just do it. They need a legit starting QB prospect on the team whether he needs to sit for a year or whatever. They tried with EJ, time to try again. Edited by YoloinOhio

Hell, one of the best franchises in the league, the Seahawks, have a significant amount of UDFAs on their squad seeing significant playing time. Now that's value!

The above quote is my point! He should never have been an extraordinary reclamation project because he was unfairly set up to be a reclamation project. If the league would have done an honest investigation reflecting the real facts of the case he wouldn't have been wrongly described as a brutal neanderthal. He lost a year's worth of wages and then when he came back he was only able to get an under-valued contract.

The only person/s he needs to look out for is himself and his family. It's a business. I'm very confident that he is aware of that cold-blooded fact. And he should act accordingly.

That is the whole point. He got blindsided in how the league railroaded him in the scandal. The league wanted nothing more than for him to retire and just go away. Nobody wanted to touch him and upset Goodell's efforts to "clean" up the league. That's why he sat out the entire 2014 season and very likely would have been done if Bills didn't call him this year.

Say what you want about Rex, but there are very few coaches who were willing to stick their necks out to bring Richie back. That's all I'm saying. There are probably a very small number of franchises that would have taken the Richie risk this year, and if he wasn't signed this year, his career was toast. That's why he still owes the Bills for taking an outsized risk on signing him. It's the kind of risk no team is willing to take with Ray Rice.

That is the whole point. He got blindsided in how the league railroaded him in the scandal. The league wanted nothing more than for him to retire and just go away. Nobody wanted to touch him and upset Goodell's efforts to "clean" up the league. That's why he sat out the entire 2014 season and very likely would have been done if Bills didn't call him this year.

Say what you want about Rex, but there are very few coaches who were willing to stick their necks out to bring Richie back.

Not the way I remember it. Whaley signed Incognito early on. There was chatter with the bobble heads that several teams needing a guard were ready to give him a shot.

The Martin incident in Incognito's storied history was really one of the smaller incidents it just got the most media attention.

Say what you want about Rex, but there are very few coaches who were willing to stick their necks out to bring Richie back. That's all I'm saying. There are probably a very small number of franchises that would have taken the Richie risk this year, and if he wasn't signed this year, his career was toast. That's why he still owes the Bills for taking an outsized risk on signing him. It's the kind of risk no team is willing to take with Ray Rice.

The funniest thing is the brilliant writers at TBN trashed the bills for this signing. THEN, now that he's the best lineman on the team write a positive story about him.

Hometown discount lol.

No such thing. Cash is king.

Less than a year after Jerry Hughes laughed off the concept of giving the Bills a hometown discount and even ridiculed its very existence, saying he never heard of such a preposterous thing, he went rogue and gave the Bills a hometown discount.