Percy Harvin Out vs. Miami; Placed on Injured Reserve

The moves for Harvin and McCoy are proof that, while Rex has an idea of what types of players he needs, someone needs to be minding the personnel store. Whaley was in a weird situation and I think wanted to defer to TPegs hire at HC.

Having the GM and HC report independent of each other isn't unique. But both guys need to be on the same page.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The press reports on the Harvin Saga have been downright Soviet. Next thing you know, he'll accuse the Bills of poisoning him with radioactive isotopes.

Wouldn't a single one do the trick?

Damn. This year has been one giant back-fire. Whaley really took some risks, and all have not panned out.

I feel for Whaley, but some of his decisions are head scratchers, to say the least.

#goingrouge.

Imo

All have not panned out or not all have panned out?

I seem to have remembered an article where there was this conversation with either Pegs and Rex or Pegs and Whaley (I think it was Pegs and Whaley)

Something about....."we are going swing for the fences and some of them might not pan out but were gonna do it"

Something to that effect.

Not all have panned out. Pardon the typo Beerball.

Thank You for bringing that to my attention, I will edit.

Imo

I seem to have remembered an article where there was this conversation with either Pegs and Rex or Pegs and Whaley (I think it was Pegs and Whaley)

Something about....."we are going swing for the fences and some of them might not pan out but were gonna do it"

Something to that effect.

fair enough really. Its a method. was it the right time? in hindsight , next year, with more settling in and down, may have been a wiser choice for corking the bat

Edited by 3rdand12

I agree that Whaley must have been in a tough situation with the new new owners and new HC, particularly since the new owners explored hiring a football "czar". I assume that it was Ryan who wanted Harvin and possibly Clay. Not sure about McCoy, but paying him as much as we are does not make much sense to me. If the Bills do not make the playoffs and Whaley's contract really is up after this year, I think it is very possible that he will not be re-signed.

I do believe it is a little harder to keep a team motivated to play in Buffalo when they are losing. Especially with transients like Harvin.

I think we've seen a lot of days off taken and early exits made from players over the past 15 years that you wouldn't see if the organization had a winning culture and players believed that they could get to the playoffs if they worked thru injury.

I'm curious. What players are you talking about? Just give me two or three.

Six years of Nix/Whaley and we are left with a ball club that still has questions at coaching and QB and a roster that doesn't look like it is built to last. Basically the flat out success of the last 6 years are landing a #3 overall pick in the 2011 draft and signing a 100 mm pass rusher.

Yep.

I'm curious. What players are you talking about? Just give me two or three.

There are new ones every season but if you want a really good specific example.....Aaron Schobel.

Guy quit about 3-4 years earlier than if he had been playing for a contender, IMO.

By contrast.....when the Bills were a winning franchise there were a lot of players who would not give up and contributed much later in their careers.

Not having to replace those guys years earlier pays dividends. It prevents things like having to reach for an Aaron Maybin on draft day etc..

There are new ones every season but if you want a really good specific example.....Aaron Schobel.

Guy quit about 3-4 years earlier than if he had been playing for a contender, IMO.

By contrast.....when the Bills were a winning franchise there were a lot of players who would not give up and contributed much later in their careers.

Not having to replace those guys years earlier pays dividends. It prevents things like having to reach for an Aaron Maybin on draft day etc..

Kyle Orton

Brad Butler?

You include Harvin to fit in with your narrative that he is leaving early because he is not willing to "stretch" himself because he is playing on a losing team and in a non-glamorous location. Your position makes no sense and is inconsistent with the facts.

Percy Harvin is hurt. He has a variety of ailments, hip, knee and issues with migraines that probably will follow him when he retires. He had an incentive to continue on $$$$$ but is so plagued with health problems that he can't continue on.

There is no doubt that in his long career with the Bills Aaron Schobel was frustrated that he didn't play on a good team. He retired after a very long career. I don't recall any other team being interested in him. Schobel lived in Texas and played football because it was a financially rewarding career. He had a long career and was ready to leave the endeavor to back back to the ranch.

Your thesis sounds interesting but in reality the facts don't match your theory.

Kyle Orton

Brad Butler?

Orton simply wanted to retire. He had a long career and was done with the business. Prior to going to Buffalo he had an opportunity to sign with the Cowboys. He declined it although it was for an attractive salary.

Brad Butler had a nagging knee injury and simply didn't want to play a sport in which there were great risks for permanent physical damage. Butler was a University of Virginia graduate and he had political and public policy interests that were greater than his interest in football.

You include Harvin to fit in with your narrative that he is leaving early because he is not willing to "stretch" himself because he is playing on a losing team and in a non-glamorous location. Your position makes no sense and is inconsistent with the facts.

Percy Harvin is hurt. He has a variety of ailments, hip, knee and issues with migraines that probably will follow him when he retires. He had an incentive to continue on $$$$$ but is so plagued with health problems that he can't continue on.

There is no doubt that in his long career with the Bills Aaron Schobel was frustrated that he didn't play on a good team. He retired after a very long career. I don't recall any other team being interested in him. Schobel lived in Texas and played football because it was a financially rewarding career. He had a long career and was ready to leave the endeavor to back back to the ranch.

Your thesis sounds interesting but in reality the facts don't match your theory.

His larger theory is right -- dockery, langston walker, okeafor, sam adams, jeff posey, TO, larry triplett, lawyer milloy and troy vincent in 2005. The team has had a lot of check cashers whose engagement declined when the losing kicked in this millennium. Edited by dave mcbride

His larger theory is right -- dockery, langston walker, okeafor, sam adams, jeff posey, TO, larry triplett, lawyer milloy and troy vincent in 2005. The team has had a lot of check cashers whose engagement declined when the losing kicked in this millennium.

The players you listed is an indictment on the foolishness of a stupid organization. These players didn't prematurely leave the Bills because they cashed out. They should never been acquired at their respective excessive prices. This backwater franchise was incapable of functioning as a sustaining competitive franchise. It went for the short-term fix for marketing reasons.