Thoughts on the idea of McKelvin to Safety?

YoloinOhio

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is McLovings tackling?

Not worried about coverage with any of our guys, with safeties I worry tackling

McKelvin is a good tackler.....but, he is not a big hitter type.....actually, none of the current crop of safeties are.....maybe Rambo tries......I long for a safety ala Leonard Smith of the 80's, there was a BIG HITTER safety.

McKelvin is a good tackler.....but, he is not a big hitter type.....actually, none of the current crop of safeties are.....maybe Rambo tries......I long for a safety ala Leonard Smith of the 80's, there was a BIG HITTER safety.

Duke is a big hitter. But, that's all he is.

We had one and he left for "greener pastures" in San Fran. Now he's been relegated to the SS position with the Browns. You all know his name...... Haloti........... no, that's not it........I mean Twitner...... uhhhhh, Hitner....... oh, yeah, Donte Whitner. :lol:

I've heard him speak. I'm guessing No. Don't take this the wrong way.

Possibly Leo to nickel and Robey to S?

Speaking does not translate to intelligence or lack thereof necessarily. He is from Waycross, Georgia for pete's sake, and went to college in Alabama (Troy) what do you expect? Hell I am from southern Missouri been gone for over 20 years and still can't seem to lose the r in wash. I say naked "nekkid". My kids all poke fun at me anytime I let one of those gems loose.

McLovin could make a good safety, you would just need the other safety to make the calls.

Edited by Show Me The Baby

Believe it or not I'm actually fine with a Corey/Rambo combo. As long as remembers to only hit guys on the other team, he is more serviceable than McKelvin at safety at least for the time being. Are there any packages in nickle or dime coverage where we can just put McKelvin on Eiffert instead of the Safety? That seems like the best opportunity to keep out best players on the field while not forcing McKelvin to play a position he hasnt practiced at. The downside of course would be the physical mismatch of putting a corner on a TE.

Believe it or not I'm actually fine with a Corey/Rambo combo. As long as remembers to only hit guys on the other team, he is more serviceable than McKelvin at safety at least for the time being. Are there any packages in nickle or dime coverage where we can just put McKelvin on Eiffert instead of the Safety? That seems like the best opportunity to keep out best players on the field while not forcing McKelvin to play a position he hasnt practiced at. The downside of course would be the physical mismatch of putting a corner on a TE.

wrt to Eifert, we don't have McKelvin back yet for this Sunday. He is due back soon though. Edited by YoloinOhio

With all the new rules changes on hitting players, specially after catching a pass (which I thought Grahams hit was a very legal and good hit last week), big hitters don't seem to be of high demand. Safeties who can cover, play in the box, and tackle seem to be the way.

With all the new rules changes on hitting players, specially after catching a pass (which I thought Grahams hit was a very legal and good hit last week), big hitters don't seem to be of high demand. Safeties who can cover, play in the box, and tackle seem to be the way.

A big hit in today's NFL on a WR/RB/QB is most likely a personal foul, whether it is a proper hit or not. Anytime I can hear a hit in the open field on TV, there's a flag.

I'd rather just have a safety adequate at run defense/pursuit angles with good coverage skills.

Would Leodis want to play safety though?

CBF

I would like to hope he wants to get on the field any way he can.

If this is even a remote possibility then coaches and A. Williams better start spending time coaching Leo up for this.

Those folks that have been wondering this , as have I, this is a logical thought for sure!

As mentioned get all these guys on the field at once. This cross raining in the secondary has to be such an advantage to Coaching. And makes the players more complete.

Get er dun Buddy!

er... Dennis/Donnie

I sure hope Leo will buy in asap. especially if he has lost a step from injuries, like Graham has from age.

Geez Bills would be the best Sec in the league!!

Stephon -A Williams C Graham-Leo-Robey- Ronald D.

WOW. just WOW

Leo was leading the league in INTs last year before the injury.

Yep he was really flying. And " beatin that Run " too. Came on the year before, under Donnie Henderson.

I am coming to realize Rex is not about the pass rush so much as protecting lanes, and creating confusion for the QB.

He is all about the secondary.

and these guys are coming together.When everyone is healthy :unsure:

AW out 7 games at least. Leo set to return soon. Would likely be a backup CB. Those who really understand the nuances between moving from Corner to Safety, do you see this as a possibility?

I know that switch is way more seamless than the inverse. Corners already possess the skills necessary to play safety. Its just a bulk thing. Byrd was a poorer safety at Oregon. But when he played safety with everything in front of him he was much better. Aaron williams another example. Cory Graham was moved. But he was versatile and it beat starting Duke Williams

A year ago I would have wanted to move Gilmore to safety