Aaron Williams to IR-DTR; Out for the Season

I actually think he originally hurt his neck last season. Others have speculated the same around here and I think someone brought up the possibility of a congenital condition a la Derrick Burroughs.

I wouldn't blame him at all if he just walked away with some good coin in the bank and his health.

GO BILLS!!!

Honestly, I'm not even sure why he would risk it. He's not going to be in a position like Peyton Manning where he's not making serious contact. If I were in his shoes and the doctor says 50-50, my decision is already made for my family.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think he originally hurt his neck last season. Others have speculated the same around here and I think someone brought up the possibility of a congenital condition a la Derrick Burroughs.

I wouldn't blame him at all if he just walked away with some good coin in the bank and his health.

GO BILLS!!!

You'd think they would already have a diagnosis of stenosis if that's what it is.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Neck injury left Aaron Williams thinking about future playing career
A neck injury initially sustained by Aaron Williams in Week 2 against the Patriots was re-injured in Week 5 and led to surgery. On Thursday after weeks of rehabilitation Williams returned to practice, but there is still a final decision the safety has to make about his future playing career.

Every player on the field could be crippled on every play. It's the nature of the game, and it's only because most of the serious injuries are to limbs or are slow-progressing like brain damage, that we shrug and hope the guy is OK, then forget about him. The gruesome, crippling injuries to the nervous system are rare.

If I had Aaron Williams' athletic ability, I don't know if I'd play pro football in the first place, considering the risk and the fact that I want to be a healthy mobile old man some day. But since I don't have even 1% of Aaron Williams' athletic ability I can't put myself in his shoes. So if he makes the choice to go back out on the field, who are we to tell him it's a mistake?

The way it read to me was that prior to the surgery he had a 50/50 chance of playing again and apparently the surgery went well enough that he's on the right side of that.

I think this kind of thing really puts into perspective the bitching some fans do about players that don't just "walk it off" and play through injuries, like the Watkins situation a few weeks ago.

The way it read to me was that prior to the surgery he had a 50/50 chance of playing again and apparently the surgery went well enough that he's on the right side of that.

I think this kind of thing really puts into perspective the bitching some fans do about players that don't just "walk it off" and play through injuries, like the Watkins situation a few weeks ago.

His career is still in doubt as he doesn't know if he can withstand contact without the injury reoccurring.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

His career is still in doubt as he doesn't know if he can withstand contact without the injury reoccurring.

Yeah, I understand that he's still not done with his recovery and he has to test things out, but the article read to me as if the 50/50 number was prior to the surgery, and he's progressed since then.

Yeah, I understand that he's still not done with his recovery and he has to test things out, but the article read to me as if the 50/50 number was prior to the surgery, and he's progressed since then.

Listen to his interview.....He still isn't sure if he can play again.

this crap stresses me out. seriously.

I for one do not want to see that hit.

the one against the Pats was not a shot anyone would have thought would take him down. something is wrong in that neck.

I hope he has real quality advice helping him.

Once he said 50/50, i said to myself those odds are terrible. if it aint 110% healthy, move on.

Go raise horses or something. do not be an ass and mess your self because you "think " you can play. Dreams change.

Rambo and Graham will be just fine until the draft and FA starts. Bills will miss hi fie and play but , we get over that each year and find another to root for.

: )

the one against the Pats was not a shot anyone would have thought would take him down. something is wrong in that neck.

Once he said 50/50, i said to myself those odds are terrible. if it aint 110% healthy, move on.

Go raise horses or something. do not be an ass and mess your self because you "think " you can play. Dreams change.

Rambo and Graham will be just fine until the draft and FA starts. Bills will miss hi fie and play but , we get over that each year and find another to root for.

^ This.

'Nuff said.

GO BILLS!!!

[quote name="3rdand12" post="3801175" timestamp="1449794611

No kidding! He bumped a guy and fell.... I couldn't figure out what the problem was. That's just not right. I hope it was just freak stuff and he can go on, but it's far more important that he live a reasonably healthy life going forward.

No kidding! He bumped a guy and fell.... I couldn't figure out what the problem was. That's just not right. I hope it was just freak stuff and he can go on, but it's far more important that he live a reasonably healthy life going forward.

its sure is Augie. it sure is.

:thumbsup:

I agree with you. This is the type of injury that you just don't take a risk with. It could leave him permanently disabled. I couldn't tolerate to watch him play knowing there's a chance he could be seriously injured on any given play. It's a real shame because he was one of my favorite Bills and just a talented football player.

I agree with you. This is the type of injury that you just don't take a risk with. It could leave him permanently disabled. I couldn't tolerate to watch him play knowing there's a chance he could be seriously injured on any given play. It's a real shame because he was one of my favorite Bills and just a talented football player.

Yep. The moving him to safety really allowed his ability to shine.

But the position demands some full speed hard hitting.

If he is healthy and ready i think we all would like him on the field !

Probably not a coincidence that Mike Rodak put the photo of the Edelman touchdown where Aaron Williams injured himself. Rodak is a huge Patriots fan/Boston area native

Well in his defense, :sick: that is the play where in original injury occurred.

I'm certain that Rodak's brain was injured long before that particular play. He and we all have been suffering the after affects mightily ever since.

Yep. The moving him to safety really allowed his ability to shine.

But the position demands some full speed hard hitting.

If he is healthy and ready i think we all would like him on the field !

Yes. A. W. was a decent player for The Bills. One would hope he could regain that position and have a long and prosperous career here. His health is preeminent though. The incident where he was hurt did seem fluky, but so have plays where guys have torn an ACL. People have herniated a disc by sneezing... literally. We'll never know what his real condition is. We don't have a right to know. IMO

Without wishing to appear like an awful person; if the situation dictates that he steps away from the game, what is the financial situation like for both Aaron and the team?

I'd assume that Aaron will have health benefits for at least the foreseeable future, if not the rest of his life. On top of that, he'd be entitled to at least a partial amount of salary left on his contract.

Pertaining to the Bills cap, how much would that impact the 2016 cap number?

Feel free to call me whatever you like, my intention isn't to offend.

Without wishing to appear like an awful person; if the situation dictates that he steps away from the game, what is the financial situation like for both Aaron and the team?

I'd assume that Aaron will have health benefits for at least the foreseeable future, if not the rest of his life. On top of that, he'd be entitled to at least a partial amount of salary left on his contract.

Why would anyone be offended by your questions? They do merit legitimate consideration if he's forced to leave the game.

Why would anyone be offended by your questions? They do merit legitimate consideration if he's forced to leave the game.

It's a touchy subject, that's all. I know everything I set out was legitimate, I just know that Aaron is a popular guy.

I guess I didn't like myself for thinking about it and thought others might follow.

I think the smartest thing to do is for him to avoid contact and to force a cut rather than retiring. That way, he won't be obligated to pay back a portion of his bonus. He has a serious neck issue, and that shouldn't be fooled around with. Life is more than football, that's for sure.

Edited by dave mcbride

Well presented. How could one take offense to reasonable questions?

I would be surprised if it ever was : )

I've been critical of Williams' play, because he sometimes lets his passion get the better of him.. but it's because of that passion, that i hope he jumps up and smiles after his next big hit..

He has gotten overzealous at times. But he continued improving his game.

I was more critical of him till ....I really noticed when he wasn't playing.

Edited by 3rdand12

Yes. A. W. was a decent player for The Bills. One would hope he could regain that position and have a long and prosperous career here. His health is preeminent though. The incident where he was hurt did seem fluky, but so have plays where guys have torn an ACL. People have herniated a disc by sneezing... literally. We'll never know what his real condition is. We don't have a right to know. IMO

Williams neck injury didn't just happen spontaneously like a torn ACL on that play, he was struggling with a neck injury all of 2014.

Has he progressed? Guess we'll find out, but hopefully not in any way that permanently impairs him.

That he was told it was 50-50 with the surgery and he did it and all the worst of the worst cases haven't happened yet is of itself progressing from 50-50.

How far, none of us know, as despite wringing our hands about his health we simply don't know anything specific. He could be in a spot where it's incredibly uncertain or it could be like a guy coming off any major injury/surgery noting that he needs to go out and see it in action after scaring himself with it last go around.

If it were a meaningful percentage that docs thought he would be paralyzed I have to think they shut him down long before he hits anything.

That he was told it was 50-50 with the surgery and he did it and all the worst of the worst cases haven't happened yet is of itself progressing from 50-50.

How far, none of us know, as despite wringing our hands about his health we simply don't know anything specific. He could be in a spot where it's incredibly uncertain or it could be like a guy coming off any major injury/surgery noting that he needs to go out and see it in action after scaring himself with it last go around.

If it were a meaningful percentage that docs thought he would be paralyzed I have to think they shut him down long before he hits anything.

When he hurt is neck last year I was already thinking about who his long term replacement was going to be.

People act like losing AW and Dolores Searcy were enormous losses but Corey Graham has been really good and Searcy has been invisible in TN and to be honest Aaron Williams was not very good in 2014.

I attributed his lackluster play to the nagging neck injury...... I was just glad that he didn't go on IR.......but I wasn't counting on a bounce back to 2013 performance from him anyway.

The Bills have struggled at safety and LB this year but that is all on Rex not fitting his scheme to his talent.

If you know you only have 2 decent healthy LB's and a lot of youth and inexperience at safety you don't funnel all of the action to them.

It was stupid and we know that now.

On the flip side of AW calling it quits, Dwan Edwards had a bad neck when he signed with the Bills and a lot of people thought he was done but he's gone on to play for many years so I guess there is a chance.

When he hurt is neck last year I was already thinking about who his long term replacement was going to be.

People act like losing AW and Dolores Searcy were enormous losses but Corey Graham has been really good and Searcy has been invisible in TN and to be honest Aaron Williams was not very good in 2014.

I attributed his lackluster play to the nagging neck injury...... I was just glad that he didn't go on IR.......but I wasn't counting on a bounce back to 2013 performance from him anyway.

The Bills have struggled at safety and LB this year but that is all on Rex not fitting his scheme to his talent.

If you know you only have 2 decent healthy LB's and a lot of youth and inexperience at safety you don't funnel all of the action to them.

It was stupid and we know that now.

On the flip side of AW calling it quits, Dwan Edwards had a bad neck when he signed with the Bills and a lot of people thought he was done but he's gone on to play for many years so I guess there is a chance.

Ultimately it depends on the actual problem and how the fix went. We don't know a ton about either, though you may very well be right.

You are definitely right that the schematic approach to this season was questionable.