Aaron Williams to IR-DTR; Out for the Season

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why Aaron Williams went to short term I-R

Bills S Aaron Williams returned from a scary Week 2 neck injury last week to play against the Titans in Week 5. But during the game he had to exit during the first defensive series after making a tackle. Later in the game he was seen shaking out his left arm in between plays, presumably because he was feeling some numbness, but he finished the game. Bills head coach Rex Ryan shed some light on why the decision was made to put S Aaron Williams on short term injured reserve this week.

This is one goddamn Gothic nightmare of an injury-plagued season.

He's incognito.

Ba-dum bum <rimshot>.

you win, again.

What are terms of "short term" IR?

we are screwed, with the potential... of being unscrewed later in the season, say 6-7 weeks.

this sucks. And i worry for Aaron. scary shtuff. wish him well and wisdom on this.

Pro Bowler? You mean, they have their own shoes and balls?

Damn man!

I have my own shoes and Balls and i dont even bowl

What is this injury that Aaron has? I would think that when he got hurt and had no feeling on one side of his body that it would involve the nervous system - a spinal injury?

But, that doesn't seem to be the case? How does a neck injury make you not be able to feel your body, and then the feeling comes back, and it causes problems again?

I just don't understand what the actual injury is.

• 1 month later...

@buffalobills

Buffalo Bills Retweeted Chris Brown

23 is back on the field! 1f64c.png

@ChrisBrownBills

Aaron Williams is suited up for practice. Certainly unexpected after Rex's pessimism for Aaron's outlook this week. We'll see. #Bills

@SalSports

Here's video of Bills S Aaron Williams practicing. Cleared today. Tip-drill.

https://pbs.twimg.com/ext_tw_video_thumb/674991680286666752/pu/img/ow8Umfo2ffHQWXg_.jpg

@15yrsandcountin

@SalSports When is he eligible to return?

@SalSports

Sal Capaccio Retweeted Gregg Bergen

Eligible to play this week.

@SalSports

Aaron Williams returns to practice; Other Bills practice notes and video: http://www.wgr550.com/Aaron-Williams-returns-to-practice-Bills-practice-/22264455

Bills safety Aaron Williams was cleared to practice and joined his teammates on the field Thursday.

Williams has been on Reserve/Injured, Designated To Return (or short-term IR) since October 4 after suffering a neck injury week three against the New England Patriots, then re-injuring it three weeks later against the Tennessee Titans. He is eligible to return to action this Sunday against the Philadelphia Eagles, but so far the Bills have yet to activate him. The team has 21 days to do that. If they choose to do so, they’ll have to make a roster move and release someone from the 53-man active roster. If not, Williams will not be eligible to return until next season. Monday, head coach Rex Ryan said it was 50/50 on if Williams would play again this season.

@MatthewFairburn

Aaron Williams injury: Bills safety back at practice for first time since Week 5 http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/12/aaron_williams_injury_bills_safety_back_at_practice_for_first_time_since_week_5.html

CV4ZzuCWoAAndQ4.jpg

The doctors better be real sure about his recovery and ability to take hits and the strain of playing. I am sure they know what they are doing, but man this is scary stuff. We will see and hope he has recovered enough to be in playing shape.

They have 21 days to figure all of that out. I don't think they'll take any unwise risks given the nature of his injury. But yeah, certainly very concerning.

@mikerodak

Aaron Williams keeping open possibility of retiring from football. He says his first hit upon returning will give him an idea of what's next

@mikerodak

Aaron Williams also revealed that he underwent a "procedure" on his neck about a month ago. He was cautioned he might not play again.

@MatthewFairburn

Aaron Williams started planning for life after football. Had surgery on his neck and was 50/50 about whether he could play again.

@SalSports

Some really interesting stuff from Aaron Williams on his injury, career, and future. Tweets coming with quotes....

Aaron Williams: "Coming from not feeling your whole left side, to maybe not playing game again, to being able to move the neck...

....to being able to work out, then having an opportunity to be on the field, it's definitely an experience I'll never forget."

On possibility of never playing again, Aaron Williams: "It was too real to where I had to start thinking about what I wanted do afterwards"

"I knew I had a few things (to do after football), but I didn't think it would be coming this time, this soon." -- Aaron Williams

Aaron Williams: "Right before my procedure got done, that's when I knew it was 50/50 I could come back or find another career."

Williams said he hopes to play again this year. He is cleared to practice. Bills have 21 days to activate him.

More Aaron Williams: on re-injuring neck in Titans game after coming back: (next few tweets)....

"It was first hit of the game. It was just the fight in me. Not really thinking of my health or the future. I was thinking in the moment..

...I told myself 'suck it up, you've been hurt before, you've played hurt before, to give everything you have......"

"Some of the hits did hurt where I was in serious pain.Took a couple plays off. I had to pass a lot of tests. I passed tests, finished game"

Williams said he couldn't feel his whole left side while on the ground in Patriots game. Was tingling/numb all of 2nd half of Titans game.

@mikerodak

Aaron Williams said he was numb in 2nd half vs. TEN. "But I played with numbness before. It really wasn't something I was concerned about."

@JoeBuscaglia

Joe Buscaglia Retweeted Mike Rodak

Just wow. The NFL is a scary, scary world.

@mikerodak

Aaron Williams: "When that first hit gets done, that's when I'll know if I should continue playing this game or it's time to move on"

@JoeBuscaglia

Likely no Gilmore, switching roles on the OL, & A Williams cleared, but mulling retirement? 5 #Bills practice notes :http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/buscaglia-5-bills-practice-notes-from-dec-10

proxy.jpg?t=HBhWaHR0cDovL21lZGlhMi53a2J3

best wishes for Aaron.

He's talking about knowing from the 1st hit, but that might be too late. Is it worth the risk? I guess he'll have to figure that out.

Well in his defense, :sick: that is the play where in original injury occurred.

I actually think he originally hurt his neck last season. Others have speculated the same around here and I think someone brought up the possibility of a congenital condition a la Derrick Burroughs.

I wouldn't blame him at all if he just walked away with some good coin in the bank and his health.

GO BILLS!!!