Robert Woods Fumble - no forward progress?

Bills!Win!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you make the decision to not go out of bounds so you can pick up what, a yard or 2 (he never had anywhere to go)?----you can't expect the refs to bail you out when the Defense swarms you. No one here should either. A ref just isn't going to give you a pass out of a dumb choice.

This is the right take.

One thing I don't think anyone is talking about from this game. Apparently the refs don't call the play dead anymore on forward progress. Woods was fighting for yards for what seemed To be 4-5 seconds. At one point I was yelling at the tv for them to blow the whistle because of forward progress before he even fumbled.. if not for the Robert woods fumble i believe the game would've been very very close.

Woods Fumble,

Clay Interception

Missed Tackle on the 51-yard TD

3-personal foul penalties on a single drive

4th down non-conversion

Missed Field goal

That is enough to turn the tide

Woods Fumble,

Clay Interception

Missed Tackle on the 51-yard TD

3-personal foul penalties on a single drive

4th down non-conversion

Missed Field goal

That is enough to turn the tide

Not to mention covering the center on the FG which led to a TD drive.

One thing I don't think anyone is talking about from this game. Apparently the refs don't call the play dead anymore on forward progress. Woods was fighting for yards for what seemed To be 4-5 seconds. At one point I was yelling at the tv for them to blow the whistle because of forward progress before he even fumbled.. if not for the Robert woods fumble i believe the game would've been very very close.

He was stopped. Whistle should have blown play dead

If you make the decision to not go out of bounds so you can pick up what, a yard or 2 (he never had anywhere to go)?----you can't expect the refs to bail you out when the Defense swarms you. No one here should either. A ref just isn't going to give you a pass out of a dumb choice.

So you're saying the ref was watching the play, saying...this idiot didn't go out of bounds....well, I'm not going to blow the play dead then. Serves him right......? really?

He was stopped. Whistle should have blown play dead

So you're saying the ref was watching the play, saying...this idiot didn't go out of bounds....well, I'm not going to blow the play dead then. Serves him right......? really?

Sounds dumb, doesn't it?

And I think that many here need to see the play again, and when it happened in the game, before talking about how he should have gone out of bounds. But that's the great thing about hindsight.

I think he was trying to get down but the Giants players were holding him up and working him over for the ball. Out of bounds would have been preferable, but I can't fault a guy for trying to make a play in the heat of the moment. Refs could have blown the whistle and elected not to. It seems arbitrary as the refs often blow plays dead in that circumstance.

GO BILLS!!!

If this was the Pats*, then the refs would have made the forward progress stopped ruling in a heart beat.

Sounds dumb, doesn't it?

And I think that many here need to see the play again, and when it happened in the game, before talking about how he should have gone out of bounds. But that's the great thing about hindsight.

I watched it about five times on the DVR. He was being held on his feet but he was also pushing to keep moving. I hated the result, but it was the correct call, Doc! :thumbsup:

I watched it about five times on the DVR. He was being held on his feet but he was also pushing to keep moving. I hated the result, but it was the correct call, Doc! :thumbsup:

I watched it and didn't see him pushing forward so much as being pushed forward and trying to go down to the ground after he realized he was being double-teamed. I can't fault the refs, but they certainly could have blown the whistle.

I'd like to see the video of the fumble in the Cards game.