Robert Woods Fumble - no forward progress?

Bills!Win!

If he had not been stripped, no one would be talking about how he should have gone out of bounds. It's all Monday morning QB'ing.

Why going out of bounds is being discussed is because of the risk to reward ratio of the decision to cut inside. There was very little reward and very real risk as we saw. The fact the risk does not actualize in the hypothetical you bring up does not make the decision any less wrong. Would it have be as impactful a mistake? No, of course not but it would have remained a mistake non the less.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats on Woods though, and he should have recognized that he needed to protect the ball their rather than keep pushing for yards. The Refs called by the rule book. Because Woods was still gaining forward progress, they let the play go. Had he just stopped pushing forward and wrapped the ball up or gone to the ground, play over.

Was he gaining forward progress, or was he being held up and dragged by the guy in front tugging on the ball, there is a difference.

It reminded me of the call vs. Baltimore a few years ago when our WR Lee Evans caught a pass and went into a scrum, the pile just stood there for about 5 seconds, then the ball fell out (probably from fatigue). It was in overtime. The Bills were at midfield, and in a good position to win.

But Woods was stripped of the ball yesterday. He should have put his knee on the ground and moved on.

What about Shawne Nelson where the Ravens physically picked him up and the whistle still wasnt blown

That was Shawn Nelson and that was a bad non-call by the refs. I think with Woods was a different scenario, he should have gone out of bounds, bad decision.

Dang beat me to it